3.2 nitpicks

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Post Reply
sw30
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

3.2 nitpicks

Post by sw30 »

Played just a few turns and found just 2 things:

1) the base Akyab has been removed, but there is a MCS group that starts there. In other words, it'll hang in limbo forever.

2) Chiang Kai-Shek could probably be abbreviated Chiang K. Like the Japanese Leaders.

Thanks for a great update, Jeremy.

-Jeff
User avatar
Capt. Harlock
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Capt. Harlock »

The removal of the Dutch LCU's is not necessarily a good thing for the Japanese side--a lot of easy Kill Points used to come from them!
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

Here's a nit to pick, but maybe I just don't understand (haven't spent enough time playing yet to "get it").

In the '41 campaign playing Japan against AI, there is an HQ called "6th Area Army" and no "8th Area Army," but several units are subordinate to "8th Area Army." I thought that "6th Area Army was created in 1944. Is this just a typo, or am I missing something?
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Jeremy Pritchard
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by Jeremy Pritchard »

#1. Akyab is removed only for the Campaign 41 (or OBC41) file. This scenario is meant to be run as a Human Allied game. The Japanese AI could not handle Akyab as a target, so I 'deleted' the base. This is why it is out of the game in this scenario. However, the MCS should probably be sent to Calcutta.

#2. Chiang Kai-Shek: I might abbreviate his name, but since Chinese names have different structure then Western or even Japanese names, I am not sure that abbreviation is possible.

#3. The Dutch LCU's that I deleted were all Batallion sized (about 3 of them, plus the USMC Bn at Guam). Realistically, the amount of VP's given to the Japanese through their destruction is made up by the stronger forces on Sumatra and Java. Since I removed the barrier for Dutch LCU's to recieve reinforcements their units can grow to much higher levels then in previous scenarios, and when they are destroyed give the Japanese more VP's. Plus, Gameplay was VASTLY improved through the elimination of all of the minor Batallions.

#4a. The 8th Area Army will appear in 1943. The HQ's that are subordinate to the 8th AA are supposed to be. I have not noticed any PP or chain of command problems by having these HQ's attached to an HQ that is not on the map.

#4b. The 6th Area Army was the primary offensive force used in 1944 in China. What I did was eliminate the Kwantung HQ, changed it to CEA HQ, changed the Chinese Expeditionary Army HQ to 6th Area Army HQ. 6th Area Army HQ AI is activated in 1944, and will start a punishing offensive through the Chinese mainland (the AI is very good at doing this).

**Remember**
---------------------
If you are playing the 1941 scenarios, please do the following.
---------------------
If you are playing a PBEM/Hotseat game, play either...

'Other Campaigns'
a - 07/12/41: "Rising Sun" (PBEM)
or
c - 07/12/41: "Tora, Tora, Tora" (PBEM)
---------------------
If you are playing as the Japanese (Allies as the AI), play...

'Other Campaigns'
b - 07/12/41: "Rising Sun" (Allied AI)
---------------------
If you are playing as the Allies (Japanese as the AI), play...

'Campaign 41'
---------------------
**These scenarios are custom made to 'cheat' for the AI, while the PBEM games have no cheats in them at all, and are as historic as possible.

**All other scenarios can be played in any manner, but the AI will not be 'as' tough as it is in their custom scenarios.
Post Reply

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”