This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!
Reminds me of when I was in the Marine Corps on a troop ship in a storm off of Korea. I remember being amazed that sailors get seasick. I was happy because not too many people went to the mess and I got to have seconds and thirds. I don't get seasick so my only problem was keeping my tray and cup from sliding off of the table.
Just how did you Navy boys do that anyway?
Now you know why sailors chew bubble-gum during bouts of rough weather... [;)]
Good luck you guys. We had two typhoons within three days here several weeks ago. A lot of hype on the local news, but fortunately not too much damage (in Seoul, anyway).
I went through 4 typhoons in my 2 years on Guam as a weather officer, so have some idea of what you guys are facing. All the best thoughts headed your way!
Reminds me of when I was in the Marine Corps on a troop ship in a storm off of Korea. I remember being amazed that sailors get seasick. I was happy because not too many people went to the mess and I got to have seconds and thirds. I don't get seasick so my only problem was keeping my tray and cup from sliding off of the table.
UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."
What were they doing so close to this storm in the first place? It's certainly not been a surprise for anyone. Tragic to lose such a beauty.
Good luck to all of you in the path. I've hunkered down for a few of these during my days in the triangle area in NC. No direct hits, but plenty of wind and rain.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Monday afternoon here in Philadelphia and it has been raining off and on since last night. The storm isn't expected to hit here until much later tonight or early AM.
Friends in NJ are getting worse, much worse on the coast.
Philly was relatively unscathed, some power outages, flooding in the usual places, and some fallen trees. In my local area, Old City, there wasn't much of a storm at all, no thunder, no lightning, not much in the way of sustained winds, and steady rain.
The coast of NJ got much worse, but from the limited news I read this morning, it seems most of the tidal flooding has receded.
Philly was relatively unscathed, some power outages, flooding in the usual places, and some fallen trees. In my local area, Old City, there wasn't much of a storm at all, no thunder, no lightning, not much in the way of sustained winds, and steady rain.
The coast of NJ got much worse, but from the limited news I read this morning, it seems most of the tidal flooding has receded.
I used to live in Oxford, PA-about 35 mi. SW of Philly near the MD and DE borders. I noted that NOAA put the epicenter of rainfall from Sandy smack dab over Oxford yesterday.
Have the attendant torrential rains caused much flooding inland, The Gnome?
Looks like New Jersey and southern New York have been hit pretty hard, though it's too early to get a good feel for it.
The storm is bringing tremendous snowfall to the central and southern Appalachians. Maryland down to Tennessee and North Carolina are getting two to three feet. [X(]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
It wasn't that bad where I am; only lost power for six hours. This despite indications that we would receive full-strength winds. But it looks like New Jersey and New York City got absolutely hammered.
A hurricane with 80 to 90 mile an hour winds can be dangerous, though quite often winds of that strength are not going to be devastating.
What can be abstolutely, stunningly devastating is the storm surge. For those unfamiliar with hurricanes, storm surge isn't like "big waves." Storm surge is when the sea level actual rises as sustained winds push the ocean against land. It's kind of analogous to a tidal wave, though not as fast arriving or receding.
The storm surge during Hurricane Katrina was absolutley amazing. It was like sea level increased by 20 feet over the course of a few hours. Suddenly, houses were lifted off their foundations and floated down streets, careening into other buildings.
If the Middle Atlantic States experienced storm surge anything like that, the coastal areas affected will be in ruins. Hopefully, that didn't happen. I haven't gotten any reports yet that give me enough information to gauge the damage.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
A hurricane with 80 to 90 mile an hour winds can be dangerous, though quite often winds of that strength are not going to be devastating.
What can be abstolutely, stunningly devastating is the storm surge. For those unfamiliar with hurricanes, storm surge isn't like "big waves." Storm surge is when the sea level actual rises as sustained winds push the ocean against land. It's kind of analogous to a tidal wave, though not as fast arriving or receding.
The storm surge during Hurricane Katrina was absolutley amazing. It was like sea level increased by 20 feet over the course of a few hours. Suddenly, houses were lifted off their foundations and floated down streets, careening into other buildings.
If the Middle Atlantic States experienced storm surge anything like that, the coastal areas affected will be in ruins. Hopefully, that didn't happen. I haven't gotten any reports yet that give me enough information to gauge the damage.
As far as the winds go, I read yesterday that the maximum sustained winds recorded at any land station as it made landfall were about 50 knots, well below the 72 knots of hurricane strength. So while the winds were heavy it just goes to show what you are saying - all the stuff other than wind is often the worst of the storm.
There is a lot of infrastructure damage from New York to Maryland. A lot was shut down to avoid over loads, but salt water in a 100 pair cable bundle, or a fiber junction, effectively shuts down phone/data until replaced. The surge in NJ was 6 feet in what was thought to be 'protected' areas.
And I would not want to be the guy who has to clean the NY subway tunnels [X(]
Kudos to the guys that had the foresight to move the rolling stock out of the Subway system.
Yes-lots of water in places where it shouldn't be. But that should be able to be removed without complete re-manufacturing of the subway cars and everything else too.
Noticed that alot of peoples out there doesnt take precaution by putting the stuffs away before the winds pick it up and slam it elsewhere. Just saw a trapoline wrap around the power lines and alot of junks everywhere. What were the people of New York thinking? Also heard someone saw a shark in their backyard, i was thinking wtf? Goodlord, whatelse is new here today. Feel bad for those who got hit really bad on the coasts.