bugs in version 3.2

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Post Reply
gdpsnake
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Kempner, TX

bugs in version 3.2

Post by gdpsnake »

FIRST:
I have encountered a bad bug in 3.2
I had computer control on factories (forgot to change using alt N)
and changed some fighter/bomber factories to B-25 or Wellington or other.
Later when B-24's appeared ALL OF THOSE FACTORIES are producing B-24's!!! and I can't switch them back even after changing factory control to human. Only B-17 and B-24 options are available.
I'm producing almost 80 B-24's a turn in England, US and Aus.
Wouldn't be so bad except I'm running out of the other bomber types and I can't change any of those groups to B-24's. So I'm running out of airplanes and only have B-24's which I can't use.

SECOND:
Amphibious landings as the US are almost impossible to win now even against small IJN units on islands. After several months of bombardement/isolation, a single IJN div or a couple of smaller units can hold out against as many as five seperate US Divisions landing in the same turn, fully supplied, including the US 1st Marines. I agree that they should be difficult to dislodge or eliminate but I think every invasion in the Pacific by the US was a success at least in terms of taking the island and was never turned away on the beaches as the game now does every time! The US Marines should take the territory (even if the defenders are not eliminated) much more easily (certainly with four extra follow up divisions on the same turn!!) against IJN garrisons.
As a subnote, land battles aren't much better. Two IJN divisions can almost defeat any force no matter how many/how well led. Pritchard mentioned "enhancements" for the computer AI. Could these enhancements for land combat be a little too good?

Otherwise, I've found this version to be quite enjoyable.
SNAKE
User avatar
Dirtdog20
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:25 am

Post by Dirtdog20 »

Same thing happened to me. Guadalcanal on 1/1/43 had a Jap Div, that sailed by a Halsey led TF of 2 CV, assault a reinforced 40 Readyness American Div with Geiger in command and the American Div Surrendered. The Japaneese Garrison had held out for 4 weeks... Burned all my supply trying to overrun the 40 + squads that were there when I landed.:mad:
You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?
User avatar
Dirtdog20
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:25 am

Post by Dirtdog20 »

Found another in the PBEM game I just started. TF 55 has 10 X 10,000 ton Marus attached.
You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?
User avatar
Capt Cliff
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:48 pm
Location: Northwest, USA

Combat Changes?

Post by Capt Cliff »

I started a 41 campaign as the US. I invaded The Canal right on schedule +/- a week. The AI reinforced with the 2nd Div., historical! It's now the begininng of Feb/43 I got 4 division on the Canal and I am chipping away at the Jap forces about 10 to 15 squads a turn. The combat resolution screen shows the Japs have 70 squads left in the second, 7 in another regmt. and 5 in another unit. It'll take me until march to capture the place!!! The US never had more than two division in the line on the canal, historically. The combat system has definitely been tweaked but I thnk it need to be slightly more expodential than linear! The battle for the canal went great, the most historical I've seen but I am dreading trying to take Tarawa, it'll take me 3 months and 3 divsion, when it took 1 division a week (at heavy cost). What we had before was too steep a loss curve and what we got now is too shallow.

Another note: I've lost two commanders on the Canal! Vandergrift and Gieger both bought it! At this rate I won't have anyone to lead the Okinawa battle!!!!!!! Has this been changed too?
Capt. Cliff
crusher
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:00 am
Location: philippines

Post by crusher »

the bug i have incountered is in obc-b 41 i moved two units that were imperial hq units entiwetok to help save it from capture and two turns after they landed they reappeared in back were they started from. the base fell before i could get more forces there.
Jeremy Pritchard
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by Jeremy Pritchard »

#1. I recommend to not change aircraft production. There are many changes that may result in it being impossible to change back. There are a lot of hardcoded upgrades as well that can wreck your industry.

#2. The AI has been given benefits through an improved AI, as well as enhanced scenarios. The enhancements make up for the fact that eventually, the AI will become very predictable. They are individually better so when you fight them they will require a lot more effort to defeat. Since the Human Player can better focus all resources at one target, while the AI is not, I want them to be as tough as possible.

Also, check the terrrain level. Guadalcanal is probably a level 8 base now, which is the 2nd hardest to crack, however also the hardest to lose. You will be in stalemate for a while, but who says that you must totally wipe out troops in an occupied base? Without supply you can be pretty sure that only one of your divisions could hold off any counterattack.

Also, Tarawa and the other Atolls will be just as quick and bloody as in other versions, except they will probably be VERY bloody this time. Your best bet is to isolate and bombard these atolls over a period of a few weeks, then land a series of divisions against them.

I have seen the British AI defeat my IJA a force in late 1942 with a combination of numbers, equipment, and direct air support. Your best bet is to fight on the correct terrain level (the lower the better). The best places to fight and destroy enemy units is on level 4 bases (the most common of the low level bases). When you battle on level 7-9 bases, expect very little headway.

Historically, the Guadalcanal campaign lasted almost 6 months. The US shipped in a series of different divisions over time. In all, there were the 1st and 2nd Marine, Composite Army/Marine Division, Americal Division, plus a few other Army Divisions. Even though only a few were on the island at a time, they were cycled in and out resulting in fresh troops and higher levels of readiness.

You probably lost your generals due to friendly fire (the most common way in getting your generals killed) through aircraft bombardment. It is 'best' to time your attacks. Have air strikes over a period of a few months (with no General at the base if you feel safe that the enemy won't attack) then only attack (i.e., activate) if your supply is MAXED, readiness is MAXED, preparation points MAXED, and you have a leader at the base. You should also try and neutralize local enemy bases that are bombing the target base through bomardment or bomber raids. Activating your troops every turn will no longer work.

#3. Which scenario has TF 55 with the Maru MCS?

#4. Did you try and change the Imperial GHQ units to another HQ before moving them?
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12856
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

Post by Sardaukar »

Hmmm..I haven't encountered too much trouble either in aircraft factories or amphibious assaults. That's probably because I don't tinker with factories, only changing planes in Wings/squadrons occasionally. :)
With large invasion force (2-3 experienced divisions with supply thrown in in same convoy, and softening enemy for couple of weeks pre-invasion with CV and Surface Combat TFs) I usually end up in posession of base, especially if I can get LBA to reduce enemy supply efforts. And Marine divisions seem to do well.

Cheers,

M.S.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”