Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

An important risk for officers is enemy attacks, they can die suddenly. Example: Jim Gordon is a leader with 20 staff, during an enemy bombardment his unit lose 5 staff. It means there is a 25% probability that Gordon dies. History is filled with important officers who died in similar circumstances. Obviously the same rule affects to your enemy. Exposing HQs is not a good tactic. If a common HQ unit lose his high rank sub-officer (if this rule is applied) then another sub-officer will take command and the experience is lost.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

We could think of common 5PP HQs as being commanded by nondescript logistic staff officers. Most likely logistics is what they will be used for in random games with officers. I like Jafele's idea of giving them a 'face' and name even though they would not have the stat attributes of a combat officer.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I finally tried a new dawn game and I was wondering if I could move officers and attach them to a particular division? I hope that there will be more roles that an officer would do for the units and there would be field officers and the ones that stay in the HQ.

I am not sure if its a bug or what but I played new dawn and ticked increase production cost in the options, now I noticed that even though I am not training units that require raw materials, my raw materials are dwindling and sometimes the amount of raw materials on the next turn is not accurate or doesn't add something at all. Is it a bug or I am missing something?
et ignobiles oblivio
User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

Officers of Supreme HQs should have better stats initially. It´s supposed they´re the best ones in the country. Let´s say a random level between 1-5?
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

I finally tried a new dawn game and I was wondering if I could move officers and attach them to a particular division? I hope that there will be more roles that an officer would do for the units and there would be field officers and the ones that stay in the HQ.

I am not sure if its a bug or what but I played new dawn and ticked increase production cost in the options, now I noticed that even though I am not training units that require raw materials, my raw materials are dwindling and sometimes the amount of raw materials on the next turn is not accurate or doesn't add something at all. Is it a bug or I am missing something?

Not sure what you mean with "dwindling" raw as I haven't played the latest patch yet, but you do realize that building stuff with your engineers like railroads and airfields and the like also costs raw.
As it is now Officers are "Staff only", but who knows where this may lead to in a future patch? Field officers giving individual units or even tanks bonusses or traits? That will ofcourse slow the game down enormously...
User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

What about gaining experience depending on distance to HQ? An unit fighting at a 2-hexes distance from its officer should increase easily the officer experience (HQ power 100%). An unit fighting 6 hexes from its officer will only increase the officer experience by 40% (HQ power 40%).

Also card effects must have a limit depending on the distance between unit selected and officer, perhaps a bonus reduction to attacks. I like the idea of cards but we should never forget the unit HQ has a limited number of action points (they don´t travel by helicopters [:D]). I suppose a good idea is a cost in action points for every card use. Don´t wannna lose the feeling of a real battle.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Josh



but you do realize that building stuff with your engineers like railroads and airfields and the like also costs raw.

Probably this but I will have a look. Does higher production cost cause higher material consumption for creating units and infrastructures that requires raw or just the amount of production points needed to produce a unit/build an infrastructure?
et ignobiles oblivio
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

ORIGINAL: Josh



but you do realize that building stuff with your engineers like railroads and airfields and the like also costs raw.

Probably this but I will have a look. Does higher production cost cause higher material consumption for creating units and infrastructures that requires raw or just the amount of production points needed to produce a unit/build an infrastructure?

Honestly don't know, I think the latter; more PP's. In general in the early stages of the game I keep the Raw number under close surveillance as you are always running out of Raw. Build a few railroad tracks and *poof* you have to little/few (?) raw left to build armoured cars, the Raw number turns red before you know it. Later on when you have more mines producing Raw for you it's *still* possible to run out of Ore, build a few tanks (especially Heavy Tanks) and gone is your stockpile.
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Never got to the level of the heavy tanks, I usually get tired at times and wanted to start a new game. Will keep a close eye on raw and I forgot roads and rails cost raw. Its pretty hard on Stoneage+expensive research+high production cost. I mean I only produce a meager amount of PP and I have to think if I will save it up for an upper hand against my opponent (early machine gun/infantry gun or something) or use the PP and raw to upgrade my raw resources
et ignobiles oblivio
User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

Military ranks for officers depending on the staff indiviuals that can be commanded effectively. It doesn´t change any rules just adds more personality. Different ranks during the second world war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparativ ... rld_War_II
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
Jeffrey H.
Posts: 3154
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: San Diego, Ca.

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Never got to the level of the heavy tanks, I usually get tired at times and wanted to start a new game. Will keep a close eye on raw and I forgot roads and rails cost raw. Its pretty hard on Stoneage+expensive research+high production cost. I mean I only produce a meager amount of PP and I have to think if I will save it up for an upper hand against my opponent (early machine gun/infantry gun or something) or use the PP and raw to upgrade my raw resources

I think most human players go for cavalry.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
User avatar
lion_of_judah
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:36 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by lion_of_judah »

I'm trying the officers for the first time in the new dawn random game. I keep seeing where people are saying the max for the officer is 25 staff but no where do i see this written in the readme which comes with each patch or beta. Tell me if I'm wrong, but the HQ starts out with 0 for morale and combat modifier where as the old way you would have a staff total of 200 and there would be a percentage for both. so the only reason to create more staff is now to create more HQ with generals.

It seems that the only time they gain experiencing is when the HQ itself is attacked, I was under the impression that when their subordinate units are attacked they gain experience points, is this correct. I normally don't play the random games, but with the addition of officers, this has peeked my interest.
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »


The Officer attributes could use some further explanation. I believe 1 staff = 10 staff points. If you mouse over the officer attributes you'll see a brief explanation of what it is. Attached is screenshots of some officers from a current random game I'm playing. The officer with the most experience has been leading troops in constant combat for several turns. The officers with no experience haven't seen much combat as yet.
ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I'm trying the officers for the first time in the new dawn random game. I keep seeing where people are saying the max for the officer is 25 staff but no where do i see this written in the readme which comes with each patch or beta. Tell me if I'm wrong, but the HQ starts out with 0 for morale and combat modifier where as the old way you would have a staff total of 200 and there would be a percentage for both. so the only reason to create more staff is now to create more HQ with generals.

It seems that the only time they gain experiencing is when the HQ itself is attacked, I was under the impression that when their subordinate units are attacked they gain experience points, is this correct. I normally don't play the random games, but with the addition of officers, this has peeked my interest.


Image
Attachments
leaders.jpg
leaders.jpg (204.46 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

"...The Officer attributes could use some further explanation. I believe 1 staff = 10 staff points..."
 
You're right about that! [:D] 
 
With 1 staff = 10 staff points, do you mean max staff = 61 would mean 610 staff? Probably less I reckon.
 
I'm at a loss however over your screenshot, the highest lvl Officer only has 61 max staff? Where the lvl 2 Officer Qong Ping already has 82 max staff... or does it have to do with the latest patch, and has promotion/leveling become random?
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Twotribes »

When you look at a headquarters with out staff the number is 10 times the number of staff that can be handled. The 62 is how many staff he can lead.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
Vic
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 2:17 pm
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

When you look at a headquarters with out staff the number is 10 times the number of staff that can be handled. The 62 is how many staff he can lead.

I think in the next version i'll remove any reference to staff points since it is confusing players quite a lot.

Behind the hood the staff SFType has 10 staffpoints, meaning it can give supervision to 10 power points of regular troops. Behind the hood a starting officer has around 500 staff points meaning it can give supervision to up to 500 staff points of the staff SFType. I used staff points because in theory it is possible to have several different types of staff SFTypes that have different staff points.

Anyhow next version i'll just notify the player howmany staff individuals (troops) the leader can supervision too and shut up about the staff points :)

Thanks for the continueing feedback.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

Phew, I think that's a wise decision because when oldhands like us get confused about Staff and Staff points, what about the new players? They may even stop playing the game because it's too bewildering for them.

/meanwhile I love the addition of Officers, one fell off a tank bruising his ribs [:@] sending him straight to the hospital, pretty nurses and some well deserved r&r in Paris. [:D] Love it. [&o]
User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

1-What about promoting common HQs? Maybe when one of these units reaches a high number of experience points the player have the option to promote it to officer. It´s supposed that officers have been subofficers before.

2-Officers (admirals) or subofficers ("sub admirals") embarked in warships or submarines (it will be neccesary to give them a little cargo capacity) could be a good idea to give combat bonus to vessels. These kind of officers (admirals/"sub admirals") can be the only ones to give bonus to ships (never to land units).

3-The possibility to change officers names.

4-The option to detach officers from HQ units, It gives the opportunity to attach leaders to different HQs. They can also be manually detached (ie both a jeep and a officer detached to scape when things go wrong). An officer can be transfered to other unit just like other staff. In some way the officer becomes a special individual unit.

During a war is quite usual to assign officers to different places and HQs. Imagine you have an experienced common HQ (formed by subofficers), then you decide to attach them a veteran officer: all units assigned will have excellent bonus for combat, good officers in company of good subofficers is a powerful mix.

Another example: Your capitol is being attacked by enemy forces then you decide to attach your best officer to the HQ located in the city to get a stronger defense. The officer is far away commanding an attack at the north, fortunately you have plenty of trains to transfer him there in the same turn. For the next turn units assigned will drop their readiness due to change in command.

5-A new level gained for inactive officers (located in officers pool) when a new staff research is reached. Example: You have got the research Staff III, then your officers located in the pool could get an additional experience level. To get that level the officer must be in the pool during five consecutive turns. A 0 level officer will require 10 consecutive turns to get the second level allowed for Staff III. This rule simulates the improvements in officers academies and time required to study.

6-The possibility to paradrop HQ units (only air officers), very useful to command paratroopers behind enemy lines.

7-Air officers who stands in airbases/cities/aircraft factories could give their bonuses to planes assigned.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
lion_of_judah
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:36 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by lion_of_judah »

I don't know if this question has been answered or not. I'm curious, in the editor it appears one can add officers to each regime. Are we now able to add officers in a regular game not just in the random games. Also part of my previous question regarding officers was answered, and thanks but the second part of it was not. Do officers only gain experience when the HQ they are attached with come under attack or do they also gain experience when one of their subordinate units are attacked as well. Thanks
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

Re: Do officers only gain experience when the HQ they are attached with come under attack or do they also gain experience when one of their subordinate units are attacked as well?

Officers have the opportunity to gain experience when the units they command are engaged in combat, both offensive or defensive.
ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I don't know if this question has been answered or not. I'm curious, in the editor it appears one can add officers to each regime. Are we now able to add officers in a regular game not just in the random games. Also part of my previous question regarding officers was answered, and thanks but the second part of it was not. Do officers only gain experience when the HQ they are attached with come under attack or do they also gain experience when one of their subordinate units are attacked as well. Thanks
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Post Reply

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”