Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

User avatar
lion_of_judah
Posts: 2371
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:36 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by lion_of_judah »

thanks, it appears that this maybe rare and far between then. because my units have been engaged in combat but the officers are not gaining, unless the HQ itself is attacked. I wonder if this is a bug or is it suppose to be this way. thanks again for the help
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

thanks, it appears that this maybe rare and far between then. because my units have been engaged in combat but the officers are not gaining, unless the HQ itself is attacked. I wonder if this is a bug or is it suppose to be this way. thanks again for the help

Hm that's odd. Officers don't level up after every battle (say from 5 to 6) but they do gain Exp. The higher the level gets the more Exp they need for yet another 'upgrade". In the previous patch that Exp rise and lvl upgrade was definitely too slow, my Officers could have seen dozens and dozens of battles only to see them still stuck at lvl 8 and only having a Max Staff of 60 or so... way too low.
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Never got to the level of the heavy tanks, I usually get tired at times and wanted to start a new game. Will keep a close eye on raw and I forgot roads and rails cost raw. Its pretty hard on Stoneage+expensive research+high production cost. I mean I only produce a meager amount of PP and I have to think if I will save it up for an upper hand against my opponent (early machine gun/infantry gun or something) or use the PP and raw to upgrade my raw resources

I think most human players go for cavalry.
(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Report | Post #: 31

Cavalry was never that important to me but in a test game I think that they are really cool and could cover more ground. I just have to find the sweet spot on the number of cavs I will have in a division.

I was wondering how could I make an ordinary HQ I mean with no officers? I still have trouble trying to decide when to make a new HQ to really get the most out of it
et ignobiles oblivio
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

If you have the v2.13 beta patch installed, one of your options is to create a regular HQ or an officer HQ.

I was wondering how could I make an ordinary HQ I mean with no officers? I still have trouble trying to decide when to make a new HQ to really get the most out of it
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I think I have it installed I mean doesn't the beta patch contain the new dawn or something where I have officers or there is another beta patch?
et ignobiles oblivio
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

With v2.13 Vic slowed down the leveling up of officers. I'm not seeing any issues here in my games. I also rarely put an HQ in a position to be directly attacked.
ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

thanks, it appears that this maybe rare and far between then. because my units have been engaged in combat but the officers are not gaining, unless the HQ itself is attacked. I wonder if this is a bug or is it suppose to be this way. thanks again for the help
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

Only the anewdawn.at2 file contains officers. I'm not certain what you are asking or what your issue is.
ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

I think I have it installed I mean doesn't the beta patch contain the new dawn or something where I have officers or there is another beta patch?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Maybe I missed something because when I created an HQ in a new dawn I always get one with an officer and no option to create one with none

Edit: Nevermind. I downloaded the latest beta patch and yes its in the options. I think I had the older beta patch with the new dawn and that is why I only have Formation or HQ as choices
et ignobiles oblivio
lancer
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 am

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by lancer »

Hi,

The original Officers build produced identical officers (25/25). The latest build mixes it up somewhat but after playing with them for a while I'm still finding them pretty 'samey' and a little on the bland side.

Sure the numbers are different but not enough that I start thinking about which officer to put where or even replace.

It would be nice if there was more diversity and maybe even a light touch of 'colour'.

Cheers,
Lancer
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

@ Lancer;
 
"...It would be nice if there was more diversity and maybe even a light touch of 'colour'...."
 
Maybe, but how would you acccomplish this? As it is Officers give a gret boost to units already, the cards add another boost or flavour if you want. If you want to stretch the idea even further it might become "gamey".
 
Hmmm, maybe maybe say if your "General" is used in lots of Land or Arty or Tank or Air battles this General might get bonusses/cards dedicated to his "specialty". In this way you could get a dedicated Tank ace General, adding maybe extra mobility or extra speed. Just loose thoughts here ofourse. 

User avatar
Meanfcker
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:25 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Meanfcker »

Hmmm, maybe maybe say if your "General" is used in lots of Land or Arty or Tank or Air battles this General might get bonusses/cards dedicated to his "specialty". In this way you could get a dedicated Tank ace General, adding maybe extra mobility or extra speed. Just loose thoughts here ofourse.

Very good idea.
lancer
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 am

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by lancer »

Maybe, but how would you acccomplish this? As it is Officers give a gret boost to units already, the cards add another boost or flavour if you want. If you want to stretch the idea even further it might become "gamey".

I was thinking more along the lines of providing a means of connecting with your officers. Perhaps something simple like, as already suggested, being able to rename them.

It's a lot easier to relate to an officer named after your favourite general or even your grandfather. They become officers that are important to you for reasons other than straight stats. They tell a story.

Cheers,
Lancer
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

Naming officers can be done, just not in game as you can currently rename an HQ. That would be a nice feature if Vic can implement it. Everything 'officers' is coded in string lists and events. There is a string list of first and last names for each of the regimes. I've already made a few changes in my local copy of the game. While not certain as yet, I think you can weight the names so that a particular one is more likely to be used. In the attached screenshot "Blackwell" was an addition I made and it randomly was assigned to an officer in a test game.

In addition, by editing some event text, I've changed the leader attribute screen in a couple of areas:

"Commander is a level 0 commander" to "This officer is a level 0 commander"

and

Tsjang Li has been recruited in May 1936" to "Tsjang Li was recruited in May 1936"

Example 1: Recruited Officer

Example 2: Supreme Commander
ORIGINAL: lancer

I was thinking more along the lines of providing a means of connecting with your officers. Perhaps something simple like, as already suggested, being able to rename them.

Image
Attachments
bwell.jpg
bwell.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

@ Lancer;

"...It would be nice if there was more diversity and maybe even a light touch of 'colour'...."

Maybe, but how would you acccomplish this? As it is Officers give a gret boost to units already, the cards add another boost or flavour if you want. If you want to stretch the idea even further it might become "gamey".

Hmmm, maybe maybe say if your "General" is used in lots of Land or Arty or Tank or Air battles this General might get bonusses/cards dedicated to his "specialty". In this way you could get a dedicated Tank ace General, adding maybe extra mobility or extra speed. Just loose thoughts here ofourse. 


Yeah I agree Josh, I mean I would really love to get my own arty general or an admiral or if I could get officers in a field with a handful of experienced troops and win victories maybe we could get a spec ops unit with special abilities? I mean I have read in a war game a long time ago about units gaining x experience would become elite units like the brandenburgers or something. Would really love to gain some emotional attachment to a single brigade so those troops won't be just some imaginary people I will order to their deaths but some imaginary people who I will be remembering for their courageous deeds and their memories if they are dead
et ignobiles oblivio
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

So thinking further on this line of thought; that would mean a dedicated Marine Corps General, a Mountaineer General, an Artillery General and so forth. You put an Officer in charge of said special unit (be it marines [&o] ) or artillery or whatever, and they get action cards which only "Artillery Officers" level 5 get ( say creeping barrage, or 24 hour barrage, you get the idea).
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Yeah it would be great if it will be like that so that the action cards we are getting will be useful and related to the work the officer was doing like it would be ridiculous to get an artillery card if you have an officer assigned with air units or an air/naval card to officers mostly fighting on land.
et ignobiles oblivio
User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

A less lineal advancement in experience level would create more original officers. Every time an officer advances level he increases attack, morale and max.staff at the same time. Why not to make it random? So he could add all his experience points to morale (100%). He could increase max staff+combat (50%/50%), increase morale+combat+max staff (33%/33%/33%), etc. A lineal learning is usual in academies, but battle experience is umpredecible. As a result of this a 8th level officer could have a high value in combat but only be able to command a few units (the classical low rank veteran, a captain if ranks are applied) or have a strong leadership (morale) but not so good bonuses in combat (a specialist in defense). Initial stats gives you an idea about officer preferences but battle experience can change it (or not). In this way you will never know what kind of high level officers are you going to find in your army (or enemy army). You create your leader while you play and you can assign to your officer an appropiate task depending on his experience.

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Twotribes »

LOL, see Vic? Never satisfied.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
Meanfcker
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:25 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Meanfcker »

LOL, see Vic? Never satisfied.

I hate to disagree, but I am very satisfied with the new patch.
Excellent work. [&o][&o][&o]
My only complaint about this game now, is that I have a wife and a job that keep me from playing sometimes.
Meanie.
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

LOL, see Vic? Never satisfied.


I tried to be satisfied but I guess its just human nature that I am not satisfied. To tell you the truth I pray every night to be contented of what I have and not ask for more.

Anyway the game is great and all that but I think for me all the things I am saying are just some what-ifs and it would be cool if X and Y and all that. I love Vic's work and hope that he will continue it. Its rare to find quality game these days
et ignobiles oblivio
Post Reply

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”