Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

LOL, see Vic? Never satisfied.

Giving ideas is a good way to help Vic, specially when it´s required by himself. In some way to improve AT is our responsability: We´ll have the game that we deserve. Also he stated he´s working alone, a bit of help will be worthy. I guess some of us are not the kind of guys that think: "Hey Vic, everything you do is perfect even the mistakes", that´s the fanboys and spin doctors mentality.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
Vic
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 2:17 pm
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Vic »

End of the month I am aiming for the next patch. The plan is to add 3 more cards in that patch that are only to be used from a high HQ (a HQ that controlls other HQs). By introducing these cards you'll have a chance to end up with some officers which your rather might put in a high command than in a frontline command position.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
User avatar
Jafele
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am
Location: Seville (Spain)
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Jafele »

A supreme comander should be able to get part of his assigned HQs experience (in the same way that officers get experience from his units assigned). I suppose the supreme commander will rarely command an attack, his work consists in make globlal plans for your army. If nothing is changed, sooner or later your supreme commander will be a low level officer in comparison with others because he won´t be fighting and getting loads of experience. It doesn´t make sense that the supreme commander have a low experience level.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE


Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Jafele
ORIGINAL: Twotribes

LOL, see Vic? Never satisfied.

Giving ideas is a good way to help Vic, specially when it´s required by himself. In some way to improve AT is our responsability: We´ll have the game that we deserve. Also he stated he´s working alone, a bit of help will be worthy. I guess some of us are not the kind of guys that think: "Hey Vic, everything you do is perfect even the mistakes", that´s the fanboys and spin doctors mentality.

So a fan boy is someone that notes that no matter what gets done people always want more? Interesting definition.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
Tac2i
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: WV USA

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Tac2i »

Your supreme commander can be sent to the officer pool and then be replaced by another more experienced combat officer, especially one that is holding the training card. In addition, as Vic just stated, the next patch will have some cards that are exclusive to officers in charge of other officers.
ORIGINAL: Jafele
If nothing is changed, sooner or later your supreme commander will be a low level officer in comparison with others because he won´t be fighting and getting loads of experience. It doesn´t make sense that the supreme commander have a low experience level.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

Cool [&o]
 
The "training card" oh yes that one is great, except when the Officer hurts himself/ gets shot/ falls into a ditch/ falls of a tank/ gets beaten up by his mistress haha lol.
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Not sure if a bug or I missed something. I was pretty sure when my Raw didn't add up was an oversight on my part when I forgot that roads/rails require raw. In a new game of mine with the latest beta patch, the PP doesn't add up. I have the green to an amount of +37 and when I checked my turn report it only says I am gaining 4. Is there something I am missing again? I am pretty sure that I am not creating any new HQs especially with officers since they cost a lot and I haven't created more than 3 new units in my turns so far. Is it a bug or am I missing something?
et ignobiles oblivio
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Not sure if a bug or I missed something. I was pretty sure when my Raw didn't add up was an oversight on my part when I forgot that roads/rails require raw. In a new game of mine with the latest beta patch, the PP doesn't add up. I have the green to an amount of +37 and when I checked my turn report it only says I am gaining 4. Is there something I am missing again? I am pretty sure that I am not creating any new HQs especially with officers since they cost a lot and I haven't created more than 3 new units in my turns so far. Is it a bug or am I missing something?

Yep you missed something [;)] Suppose you have a city producing PP's but it's *not connected" to a HQ it can reach. Be it the Supreme HQ, or any other HQ for that matter. Now that city produces say 8 PP per turn. Now this will add to your total PP's for the next turn. But if it ain't connected the next turn it will say 16 PP's, the turn after that 24 PP's and so on. It's the same with other stuff you produce but can't connect to a HQ... it *is* produced but not delivered to the pool. So either you must connect the PP producing facility to your HQ via roads ... or place a HQ in that city ... (need not to have any staff in it...!!) and set that city to produce for that newly placed HQ. Sometimes in very large random maps it can be very hard to connect it to your SHQ, so then you create such a dummy HQ, ofcourse with this increased HQ cost you may think about that twice.
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Not sure if a bug or I missed something. I was pretty sure when my Raw didn't add up was an oversight on my part when I forgot that roads/rails require raw. In a new game of mine with the latest beta patch, the PP doesn't add up. I have the green to an amount of +37 and when I checked my turn report it only says I am gaining 4. Is there something I am missing again? I am pretty sure that I am not creating any new HQs especially with officers since they cost a lot and I haven't created more than 3 new units in my turns so far. Is it a bug or am I missing something?

Yep you missed something [;)] Suppose you have a city producing PP's but it's *not connected" to a HQ it can reach. Be it the Supreme HQ, or any other HQ for that matter. Now that city produces say 8 PP per turn. Now this will add to your total PP's for the next turn. But if it ain't connected the next turn it will say 16 PP's, the turn after that 24 PP's and so on. It's the same with other stuff you produce but can't connect to a HQ... it *is* produced but not delivered to the pool. So either you must connect the PP producing facility to your HQ via roads ... or place a HQ in that city ... (need not to have any staff in it...!!) and set that city to produce for that newly placed HQ. Sometimes in very large random maps it can be very hard to connect it to your SHQ, so then you create such a dummy HQ, ofcourse with this increased HQ cost you may think about that twice.

Thank you Josh! Now I could continue my game in peace. I was really bothered about this and I was unable to continue my game. Will keep this in mind. Question though,will this apply to other productions as well like supplies or units? Really sorry for missing stuff, I am still new to this game.
et ignobiles oblivio
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

One small addendum. You can even check that out once you've found that PP producing city... it will say in the produce menu; produce 4 PP ( or whatever number) , left 12, real 16... something like that.
Same with any other stuff that can't reach it's destination... produce 4, left 12 (produced in previous turns but never reached its destination) totals 16.
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

"...Question though,will this apply to other productions as well like supplies or units..."
 
Yep. But see that ain't so confusing because those numbers and totals are not depicted on the top of your screen... so you're not aware you're producing stuff that never reaches its destination/SHQ/HQ.
One small help can be the "production overview" where you can see what you're producing in what city. This totalled number is also denoted in the totals production screen, so you maybe thinking you're producing 20 light tanks where you are only producing 4... but the other 16 are still in the factory... never left the building [:D] This can be a bit confusing yes... ofcourse the moment you're connected... all of it suddenly arrives in the next turn.
This will also mean that the PP number in green can decrease, going from say + 230 to + 200. The extra 30 arrived in one package hehe see it as a christmas gift.
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Thanks Josh! Will keep all of it in mind. Now everything is much clearer. Playing as the Russians on a small random map and now I have tons of troops to throw at the enemy while I am technologically behind (not even a single machinegun!!). At least I have a lot of cannon fodder though
et ignobiles oblivio
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Twotribes »

How come hqs made without officers can not later have officers assigned? As for asking things how about limiting it to what is reasonably possible and doesn't totally change the game?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

How come hqs made without officers can not later have officers assigned? As for asking things how about limiting it to what is reasonably possible and doesn't totally change the game?

Don't know the answer to your first question .. yet, haven't played the last patch yet...probably has to do with the producion cost in PP's
But as to question number two, asking never hurts and I have a sneaky suspicion Vic will implement only smaller updates, if it would alter the game radically it would involve way too much work. He might as well then sell it as a new game. As I see it now AT will evolve along the line AT-ATG-ATPlatinum, so changes yes, but only small .. improvements.
Now the question is... what will come after that?
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Josh

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

How come hqs made without officers can not later have officers assigned? As for asking things how about limiting it to what is reasonably possible and doesn't totally change the game?

Don't know the answer to your first question .. yet, haven't played the last patch yet...probably has to do with the producion cost in PP's
But as to question number two, asking never hurts and I have a sneaky suspicion Vic will implement only smaller updates, if it would alter the game radically it would involve way too much work. He might as well then sell it as a new game. As I see it now AT will evolve along the line AT-ATG-ATPlatinum, so changes yes, but only small .. improvements.
Now the question is... what will come after that?

PP cost is not a problem, to buy an extra officer costs the same whether in a hqs or as a separate purchase.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Josh »

Maybe it's a bug then? Maybe create a separate thread then for this one as it might escape Vic's attention. Haven't got a clue personally [&:][:(]
pzpat
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:51 am
Location: California

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by pzpat »

I must agree with Two Tribes. When I lose an officer after playing an action card there is no way (that I have found) to replace him. The headquarters must go leaderless for the rest of the game. The alternative is to create a new HQ with a new leader and then suffer the readiness loss for a number of critical turns before the army can rejoin combat. That's not realistic. There should be a way to add a leader to an HQ that doesn't have one. Leaders cost PP's just as HQ's do, so there should be no problem on that issue.
On another subject, I have found a way to get a free leader in most games. When I am confident that my capital won't be attacked, I create a leaderless HQ (that sounds funny) that I name "Supreme HQ." I then rename the original "Supreme HQ" to something else and send it and the leader into combat. The new Supreme HQ then takes over the administrative duties of the old one, including creating units, without penalty.

My thoughts, so far.

Pzpat
User avatar
Rander
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:08 pm

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by Rander »

There is a way to assign a leader to a non-leader HQ:

You must have:
1. A leader on the officer's pool
2. Another HQ with a leader on it.

Then:

1. Select the HQ with the leader.
2. Open the Officer's pool.
3. Select the HQ with no leader.
4. Select a officer from the pool.
5. Click on the "Appoint" button. (You have to pay 1PP)

The key is to have another HQ with an officer so you can open the officer's pool window.

Bye!
pzpat
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:51 am
Location: California

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by pzpat »

I tried it; it works! Thanks, Rander. Another thing on my wish list that I forgot to post earlier. It would be fun to be able to name my own officers--not forever, just for the one game. How can I do that?
User avatar
jnpoint
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 am
Location: Øster Hornum, Denmark

RE: Officers in ATG, your thoughts please.

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: Vic

@mean,

Basically i am now using the ATG player base to help test how some new features work with the existing random games. It should be a fair trade off :) i get to try out some new stuff and get some good testing results for the eventual big AT upgrade and in the meantime the players get some new content to play around with.

Thank you, and keep doing that :) but when will any of those changes be official, I can't get the beta patches to work :(
Post Reply

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”