If you are otherwise enjoying the game why not just carefully pull up the email and right click on the file as Crackaces suggests? Also, as Crackaces suggests, there is absolutely valuable intel in the character of the emails. The volume and bravado of the banter is a vritual predictor of a major operation to come. Whatever geographic area is NOT mentioned is where the attack will be.
It's like free waterboarding
I played poker at one time for serious stakes [Before the go all in era of today] .. I write with the background and experience
I do not have the combat results .. but my first take on John's remarks is that he is frustrated that he cannot move the Chineese out of the woods because of stacking limits/AV and feel vindicated that the Chineese cannot do likewise. It also provides some clues to where he might focus a thrust. A line where stacking limits is better and the IJ to Chineese ratio is more in favor given those limits .... (It is not linear)
I read Nemo vs. John playing Gettysburg and that is the most telling AAR of his psyche of any writing I know of ... John is absoutely over confident believing his plan cannot fail and that Nemo's moves plays right into his hands .. right up to the point that Nemo hands him his head .. of course it is the game that allowed such a defeat to occur not John's strategy.
I might assess that John is playing this game as a goal to win, to demonstrate
his mental superiority against a well-esteemed opponent. He is excuting his plan and tends not to go to the second or third level [what is he thinking that I am thinking that he is thinking ] ... I sense a simple first level "what is he thinking" will anticipate John's next moves ... Of course most of the time I am thinking of John's moves at the level WHAT IS HE THINKING !!!????!!!! [:D]
Just my 0.02
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"