Pardon me for showing my command ignorance here, but I have SWPac HQ at Brisbane prepping for Milne Bay. Would having this HQ along help or would it for some reason be a bad move?
Command HQs act like an Army/Corp HQ if there is not one of them prepped for the same base. The big benefit the Allies have is in all their Command HQs. I team them up with an Army/Corp HQs so they can get the added 90% adjusted AV when attacking. It took repeated efforts to get Jocke to see this. [;)]
In your example Dan, the Command HQ can stay in Australia (command range is x2 which is 18 hexes) while an Army/Corp HQ can land at Milne Bay.
My feedback to John in development of RA was to give Japan more Command HQs. If he isn't bring them to China, that's his fault. [:-]
I'm not sure why it gave a negative for experience for my guys. Both are at or slightly above 50 experience.
I always thought that negative sign was relative to the other guy's experience. Odd that I've been playing this game four years and never wondered about that.
Pardon me for showing my command ignorance here, but I have SWPac HQ at Brisbane prepping for Milne Bay. Would having this HQ along help or would it for some reason be a bad move?
Command HQs act like an Army/Corp HQ if there is not one of them prepped for the same base. The big benefit the Allies have is in all their Command HQs. I team them up with an Army/Corp HQs so they can get the added 90% adjusted AV when attacking. It took repeated efforts to get Jocke to see this. [;)]
In your example Dan, the Command HQ can stay in Australia (command range is x2 which is 18 hexes) while an Army/Corp HQ can land at Milne Bay.
My feedback to John in development of RA was to give Japan more Command HQs. If he isn't bring them to China, that's his fault. [:-]
Is SWPac's command range 9? I thought all the Allied command level HQs had a range of 5. Now I'll have to take another look at SWPac tonight.
Also, in order to get the 90% boost from a command HQ doesn't it have to be traced through a corps HQ to the command HQ?
If there is no corps HQ then the cammand HQ can act in place of the corps HQ to provide the 10% bonus at normal range.
If this is correct, and I may be as confused about this as I am many other aspects of the game, then in order to get the 90% boost from a command HQ in Australia for an invasion of Milne Bay the invasion force would need a Corps HQ within 1 hex range of the invasion to give it the 10% bonus and provide a conduit through which the 90% command HQ bonus can flow. Do I have this right?
Is SWPac's command range 9? I thought all the Allied command level HQs had a range of 5. Now I'll have to take another look at SWPac tonight.
All American Command HQs have range of 9.
Also, in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ doesn't it have to be traced through a corps HQ to the command HQ?
Yes. An often overlooked fact.
If there is no corps HQ then the Command HQ can act in place of the corps HQ to provide the 10% bonus at normal range.
Correct again.
If this is correct, and I may be as confused about this as I am many other aspects of the game, then in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ in Australia for an invasion of Milne Bay the invasion force would need a Corps HQ within 1 hex range of the invasion to give it the 10% bonus and provide a conduit through which the 90% command HQ bonus can flow. Do I have this right?
Yes, you can now move to the next level in AE. [;)]
4/26/42
Interesting information about HQs. As of this moment, I'm aware of only one American corps level HQ - I Corps that arrives early in the game. That unit is at Seattle fully prepped for Attu. I'll look around and see what I've missed.
China: No major changes. I'm still expecting the next major push to come from Nanning, where Japan currently has two divisions. The Chinese have 650 AV in the wooded hex to the east. so the Japanese might try maneuvering as opposed to besieging.
Burma: The Japanese are not present in big number in Upper Burma yet. The Allies still hold Myitkina and Lashio with sufficient strenght that John can't take either without reinforcing first. In the meantime, the real focus for the Allies is the race to claim the key jungle hexes. It looks like the Allies are going to win (and I don't think John's aware that such a race is ongoing).
Australia: The enemy is quiet. The Allies are busy shifting units around.
Pacific: Lots of reinforcement TFs strung out from Los Angeles to Dunedin. Nearly all of these are bound for Oz, though 9th Marines may go to Noumea.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
IMO, it's too late for a massive Phase II move, like an attempt at all of India or OZ. You really have to be landing before April 1 to have a shot, both for landing bonus reasons and for timetable reasons.
He made a critical error at Singapore, by failing to allocate enough troops. This cost him dearly. IMO, you need to send 5 divisions to Malaya, which is probably more than you need, but what is required to be 100% sure of taking the place in early February.
I think he mis-allocated his land units in the SRA, and paid the price
I agree with Q-Ball. I think you have in effect already won the game. Although John might want to contest that assertion for the next 1,000 turns or so....
I don't think the Japanese player needs to shoot for AV to have a great game. But he has to keep the Allied player on the defensive and deliver bigger body blows in early 1942 to really have a chance.
Combat Results - Once your troops have 1/2 of their infantry squads disabled, then they are destroyed more quickly when on the receiving end of poor combat results.
Also of note I that I have observed that the effects of Malaria become most notable when units reach that 1/2 sqauds disabled mark. Maybe I am wrong and just lucky on teh die rolls but smacking a stack and having them teleport in retreat might get them out of immediate danger but it seems there is a die roll each turn that begins a process of attirtion for units not a a supplied base in a Malaira zone .. this is a small detail in picking a line to defend in Burma that I see often overlooked and can be exploited beyond the use of HQ bounuses etc gaining advantages in stacking limits games ...
Just a thought ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
4/27/42
I do think John is in for a tough go of it, but I'm not ready to declare victory for three reasons: (1) I could make a costly mistake as I'm planning to be modestly aggressive; (2) China is still a bit of an unknown, even though I'm cautiously optimistic; and (3) as I understand Reluctant Admiral it gives Japan alot more navy power later in the game, which could make things more difficult than ordinary.
Headquarters: After looking a the roster of HQ units on the map and coming in the next 90 days or so, the Americans have just one - I Marine Amphib HQ, which I address in my previous post. The next, I Corps, isn't coming for quite some time. So corps/assault level HQ are in short supply!
China: John is feeding additional reinforcements into the Changsha sector. Most of his divisions that have been attrited heavily are showing very little recover when I next encounter them in combat, which is encouraging. Two divisions that just left Changsha to to south (true) are both below 200 AV. Hostilities are going to re-erupt in the not too distant future. My army is pretty tired and weakend, but alot more units are coming in from the north (via the long, slow journey through Kienko). So, even as I fight with some optimism along the original MLR, I'm beginning to establish a second MLR just in case I can't maintain my position.
Burma: No change. SigInt reports 5th Div. still at Port Blair. I'm surprised John hasn't already fed this unit into Burma. 9th Aussie Div. will arrive at Dimapur in three or four days and will then move towards the frontier - the backbone of the Allied army moving towards the key line of jungle hexes.
DEI: The Allies still hold Manado with patrol activity active. I have completed the details for the Cocos Island invasion, which may or may not take place in the near term. All units and shipping that would participate are in places of embarkation and ready to go, with the exception of the carriers, which need time to upgrade.
Oz: Nothing to report. I'm working on getting troops and ships in place for the prospective moves on the Milne and Ndeni areas. A small Kiwi base force arrived at Koumac, permitting my patrols to better cover any enemy passage through the Coral Sea.
Pacific: Quiet.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Headquarters: After looking a the roster of HQ units on the map and coming in the next 90 days or so, the Americans have just one - I Marine Amphib HQ, which I address in my previous post. The next, I Corps, isn't coming for quite some time. So corps/assault level HQ are in short supply!
Might be effective to allocate US Divs to Australian or Indian Corps control (could be too late in this game, maybe next time.)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Is SWPac's command range 9? I thought all the Allied command level HQs had a range of 5. Now I'll have to take another look at SWPac tonight.
All American Command HQs have range of 9.
Also, in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ doesn't it have to be traced through a corps HQ to the command HQ?
Yes. An often overlooked fact.
If there is no corps HQ then the Command HQ can act in place of the corps HQ to provide the 10% bonus at normal range.
Correct again.
If this is correct, and I may be as confused about this as I am many other aspects of the game, then in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ in Australia for an invasion of Milne Bay the invasion force would need a Corps HQ within 1 hex range of the invasion to give it the 10% bonus and provide a conduit through which the 90% command HQ bonus can flow. Do I have this right?
Yes, you can now move to the next level in AE. [;)]
A couple of quick questions. I don't want to derail CR's AAR with a discussion on HQs but it seems he is benefiting from the discussion as well.
The manual states that Army HQs can add a 10% bonus like Corps HQs, but it doesn't state that they can be used as the conduit for the Command HQ 90% bonus the way a Corps HQ can. Are Corps HQs the only conduit for the Command HQ bonus or can Army HQs also perform this function? If they can then it would extend the range of the Command bonus from 19 to 23.
Corps HQs can provide a 10% bonus and be a conduit for a further potential 90% Command bonus and an Army HQ can add a 10% bonus so all this totals to a potential 110% bonus unless the Army HQ bonus is only in lieu of the Corps NQ bonus, but its not stated that way in the manual. The manula leads one to believe the bonus is cummulative.
Also, just when you think you have it all figured out, WITPAE throws you a wild card. Take a look at the Chinese X force HQ. It is a Command HQ with a range of ONE and is permanantly subordinate to an Army HQ (NCAC).....go figure?
4/28/42
China: Two IJA divisions are moving to reinforce the Changsha front. I think I can hold against these, but if John slides past Changsha to work further south along the railroad, I'm going to be stretched pretty tight. My own reinforcements are coming, but it's gonna be awhile.
Burma: Two or three more days until the first Allied unit moves into the key line of jungle hexes. Lots more to follow, though it's going to be several weeks before the line is secure. On the other hand, no sign of enemy opposition in the near future.
Luzon: Two IJA divisions are at Clark Field. At least one of them engaged in poor-odds deliberate attack resulting in light casualties, with Japan getting the worst of it. The Allies are out of supply but will hold into May.
DEI: Manado still serving as a listening post. A small Dutch unit still holds Christmas Island (IO) with some supply. I can use that for patrols coinciding with the Cocos invasion if the status quo doesn't change. Subs from Ceylon are feeding this garrison a bit of supply.
Oz: Nothing major seems to be happening.
Pacific: An IJ TF of unknown composition NW of Luganville. Long queue of reinforcement TFs strung out between NZ and Tahiti.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
I do think John is in for a tough go of it, but I'm not ready to declare victory for three reasons: (1) I could make a costly mistake as I'm planning to be modestly aggressive; (2) China is still a bit of an unknown, even though I'm cautiously optimistic; and (3) as I understand Reluctant Admiral it gives Japan alot more navy power later in the game, which could make things more difficult than ordinary.
You are too modest my friend..
As for number 1, well we all have been down that road. [;)] Number 2. It is not fun losing China but I now understand from my own experience that losing China really has very little impact on the overall course of the war. This was probably historically true as well. Most important for the Allied player is to preserve a good cadre of Chinese units that can be rebuilt-in India if necessary. And as for 3. I don't think the added Japanese forces are significant enough to make much of a difference compared to the Allied force strength come late 44. One thing I have discovered is that the newer Allied ship types combined with superior radar and very good crew quality, just wipe up the Japanese in surface actions after 1944. I have had a few draws but can't remember losing one in a long time. Surface fighting in game is way out of whack compared to the real thing-and this really works in the Allied players favor come late war.
So you have survived early 42 without a disaster, still own your carriers and John has really not done enough. You may not win but I would not mind being in your shoes..[8D]
Poultry Lad wrote a particularly eloquent description of how he loves the game (in a recent post in reply to somebody who was thinking about buying the game). The Chicken Dude was right about how the game can occupy our idle time as we plan, etc.
Over the past two days, I have spent way too much time thinking about how to best implement the sequence of invasions covering Cocos, Milne, Ndeni and the Gilberts. Bottom line is that I can't think of any reasonable way to make a feint without risking carriers. More importantly, none of the objectives is worth risking my carriers. So, I'm left with this conclusion: A condition precedent to all but one of the possible invasions is the appearance of a significant number of enemy carriers somewhere else. Given John's aggressiveness, this is likely to happen, so all hope is not lost.
The one invasion I might proceed with is that of Ndeni and surroundings. John doesn't have any decent airfields close by, I have good patrols from Luganville, and I can probably get this done quickly and with acceptable risk.
So here's hoping John shows his hand sooner rather than later.
And what's with India? I was certain that John would probe/raid forward once he took Port Blair, but thus far he's been as quiet as a church mouse.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
4/29/42
China: Monitoring the movement of several IJ divisions to see whether the next push comes at Changsha or through the gap in the lines between Hengyang and Kweilin. No IJA push out of Nanning, yet, which surprises me.
Burma: An Indian brigade will reach the key jungle hex border tomorrow, the first of what I hope will be a steady stream of units that will create a stout line seriously threatening Japan's position in Upper Burma. Imphal airfield just went to level four.
India: 7th Oz Div. is 100% prepped for Cocos Island. I'm not ready to move yet, but I am moving the carriers forward from Socatra to Bombay to refuel. At Capetown, the Marine raiders are 95% prepped for Cocos. Transports are in place at both ports to handle the troops, plus some other units.
Australia: Quiet. Perth airfield goes to level six.
Pacific: Several IJ combat TFs suddenly show up "on the grid." There's the one already sighted NW of Luganville. The other two are near Christmas Island and between Samoa and Fiji. I think these are raiders. If so, the pickings are nil for them at their current positions. The more interesting question is whether John has shifted his carriers into these waters. I hope so. The long string of reinforcement TFs heading to Oz are well east or south of the enemy and in no danger in the short term.
West Coast: San Fran, LA and San Diego don't have a single unrestricted unit. This is an indication that the Allies are thinking ahead and moving troops forward efficiently. I recall early games when I'd have dozens of units stacked up waiting for me to figure out where to send them. Now I wish I had three score engineer units at LA, because I could put all of them to good use immediately.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Fort level is at three. I stopped it there to focus on the airfield, which is increasing faster than the fort level. This was a better use of my engineers for two reasons: (1) I have the aircraft and base force personnel to make good use of the field, and (2) sometimes the best defense is the "appearance" that a base is built up. If a player scans a base and notes the airfield has been built large, he's going to reconsider any plans he might have to invade in the area. John can still take the Perth area since all I have is one USA division plus a few Aussie brigades, which is why I want to give the appearance of strength.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
4/30/42
China: It seems that the IJ reinforcements are going to shoot the gap into the interior. I can't stop them, but I can slow them down and they don't have a real supply line. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, because it will better help me understand how supply or lack of supply affects remote operations. John's pushed a bulge into my MLR, but the MLR remains intact.
Burma: An Indian brigade with low experience is the first to arrive in the line of jungle hexes bordering the open terrain of Upper Burma. I'll need lots more to secure this line, but I don't think John will be aware there was a race going on until it's over. Two UK brigades, another Indian brigade, and 9th Aussie Division are coming. Most importantly, the airfields are being built so that Japan won't be unopposed.
Australia: A stack of units is two hexes north of Geraldton. I'm interested in seeing whether this is the real thing or a feint. The Allies have 400 AV at the base, three forts, and lots of air power. The only way this can be the real thing is if John comes by sea too. He might.
Pacific: The two IJN TFs near Luganville and Fiji disappeared from the grid. The third is sitting atop Christmas Island.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Japanese Armor: Alot of the Japanese tank regiments are chasing Australians between Tennant Creek and Alice Springs. That is an excellent place for them from my perspective.
China: The IJ situation in China would pose a bigger threat if the armor was available to exploit. The situation remains fluid, but the Chinese remain optimistic.
Burma/India: An IJ combat TF is north (true) of Cocos Island. This is at least the fourth raiding TF sighted in the last three days. Don't yet which ones have "oomph" and "intent" behind them, but I don't think this one does.
Oz: The aircraft reinforcement convoy from Hawaii is three days out of Melbourne. The IJ force two hexes north of Geraldton isn't strong enough on its own to pose a threat. Either more has to follow or this has to be the opening of a big amphibious move.
Pacific: The IJN raiding TF that visited Christmas yesterday moved off to the NW.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
CR, could you explain why the two hexes directly beneath Kalemyo (on the map, that is) are 'key hexes'? Is occupying them enough to break the IJ rail line or are you just marching through them to get to the hexes with actual rail lines in them?
5/2/42
China: At Changsha, John now has 1500 AV and I have 1000 AV. That should encourage John to attack.
Burma: Houtje, the Allies want to occupy two to four of the jungle hexes that border on the clear terrain. Doing so means Japan loses out on the good defensive terrain (I don't have to fight that later on). It forces the Japanese to establish an MLR in open hexes. That, in turn, gives my airforce a much better shot at Japanese units. For a good example of why this terrain is so important to the Allies, take a look at the Q-Ball vs. GreyJoy AAR where GJ (the Japanese player) penetrated into the jungle to establish an MLR. By doing so, he basically bottled up the Allies for more than a year. I don't want to be bottled up in the jungle. I want to go on the offensive.
India: IJN combat TF due north of Diego.
Oz: SigInt that 1st Raiding Regiment is bound for Port Headland. This has the markings of "the real thing" and suggest an IJ move on the Perth theater. I'm still not positive this isn't a feint with Japan actually moving on Townsville, but more than likely John's going to move on Perth. So, I've switched some big infantry units to "strat mode." A few of them will remain on the east coast, but some will move midway (Port Augusta).
Pacific: Quiet except for the large number of Allied transport TFs moving about.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.