There is only one reason to drop paratroops on the desert dot hexes - to eliminate a path of retreat for the Geraldton garrison. Under this theory, John would land at Perth or southwards in strength, hoping to trap the Allied army. I don't think he has a prayer of accomplishing this, though, as the Allies have stout defenses in Perth theater with lots more ready to come in.
I consider it somewhat more likely that this is part of a prolonged feint against Perth while Japan actually moves on NE Oz, Caledonia, Fiji or vicinity. I'm not too worried about the Brisbane sector as the Allies have pretty strong defenses in that sector also.
I think John's waited too late to move on Oz in a way that would bother the Allies long term. If he wants to move on Townsville or Noumea or even Auckland in strenght, he's welcome to do so, but I hope he will oblige by bringing his carriers along.
Attachments
PerthArea051042.jpg (298.82 KiB) Viewed 450 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
It does seem to be a feint before he goes for Noumea, Fiji and perhaps even points beyond. You never know for sure with John, but even if it's not a feint you're covered at Perth. How does NZ look defense-wise?
As for the Burma HQ prep, I'd suggest a jungle base like Myitkyina, the dot base on the rail line between Myitkyina and Schwebo (the one right near the plains) or even Taung Gyi. Frankly, if you get close enough to clear terrain Mandalay to make use of the prep, the base will be doomed and will fall without need of it. Taung Gyi or Toungoo are tougher nuts to crack and more logical IJA MLRs in Burma.
New Zealand is pretty open. Auckland has 550 AV, but the rest of the bases only have small garrisons.
New Zealand is another white elephant for Japan at this date in the game. It's not vital to me, but it would be difficulty logistically for John to support and hold. If I want it back it's pretty easy to move on it in strength. If its too strong to take on, well, who cares? It's like a big prison camp then, only I don't need any guards.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
5/11/42
China: John is hearding a bunch of cats (Chinese units with nowhere to go) but still hasn't broken through the key hexes (though he's about to open a supply line).
Burma: John may be moving on Myitkyina. It's lightly defended since I'm focusing on those jungle hexes.
India: Tonight, the main Cocos invasion TFs depart Bombay. The carriers, combat ships and supply ships are already away. John did some deep recon today (Asanol and another base). I do wish he'd invade NE India, but I think it's all a sham.
Oz: No change in the situation around Perth. Allied bombers roughed up one of the two IJA raider detachments. Over near Melbourne, a Glen did some snooping around and an IJN sub got a look at one USN BB and damaged an empty xAK. But the carriers are safely away and, as best I can tell, unobserved.
SoPac: Just bucket loads of IJN shipping in the northern Coral Sea. This looks like a big move on Luganville (and possibly deeper). I think carriers are present, but I'll know for certain tomorrow if they move closer. If this force has at least three or four fleet carriers, then Cocos Island invasion will be triggered. SigInt that IJN 2nd Div. is aboard a maru bound for Milne Bay. Well, aint that sweet. My 32nd Div. is now southwest of Tahiti and prepping for Milne. John is obviously attnding to this region in great detail, which means I'll back off, though I'll come eventually.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
5/12/42
China: The stout little Chinese army blocking John's supply is holding against overwhelming odds. It won't last long. The Chinese definitely will end up with a sizeable army cut off, but overall the second-line MLR is up and running. I don't see any real prospects for an enemy breakthrough in the near future. John has to get his scattered army organized and all the roads are blocked, so it's going to take him time and manuevering to make signficiant further progress.
Burma: Two UK brigades are 28 and 24 miles, respectively, towards occupying two key jungle hexes. Following the nice suggestion of NYGiants as modified by Cribtop, my India HQ and IV India Corps are prepping for Toungoo. Due to the monsoon the Allied army probalby won't move forward until autumn, but when it does it will be a massive combination of British, American and Indian troops. I expect to have enough PP to buy our five or six Indian divisions plus some smaller units.
India: The Cocos Island invasion TFs are away from Bombay.
Oz: I still think the enemy threat towards Perth region is the ruse and the move in SoPac is the real thing, but it could be the reverse. Doesn't really matter to me. If he comes to Perth (or Brisbane), I'm ready. If he heads into SoPac, he'll take the base easily and the call will be "catcher's indifference." Oz and India really are stoutly defended now.
SoPac: Still a host of enemy TFs NW of Luganville and in the lower Solomons, but no further info about whether real carriers are present. One big TF shows two "CV", but the aircraft shown are minimal. Too, my replay announcer says "Radio, raise command, send main body" rather than "spotted enemy carriers." That's a pretty strong indication this particular force isn't a KB.
CenPac: Moving all troops prepping for the Gilberts forward to Pearl.
NoPac: Long term plan will be to avoid the two big enemy bases - Adak and Umnak - but to invade lightly held or vacant dot hexes in winter, plus possibly try an big, well-prepped invasion of Attu if not too strongly defended (there's a reasonable chance it won't be since John may consider it rear area remote from danger).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
A few things I want to mention:
1. John hasn't violated the "no comments with email" request since I last mentioned this. There have been several times when I know he was tempted - especially when Changsha fell to his troops - so his courtesy is greatly appreciated.
2. A few pages back, somebody posted that the "truth" in China was somewhere between what I was writing in my AAR and what John was claiming in his AAR. I forcefully responded that it wasn't, believing that my description of the situation in China was accurate. I was wrong. (However, I'm still pretty pleased with the overall effort in China, especially considering the numbers of troops and aircraft the Japanese have employed here.)
3. I LOVE this game! As much as I love the surface combat and carrier clashes, the logistics aspect - establishing efficient supply and reinforcement systems and planning for the future - is just a blast. What a magnificent game!
4. I'm fortunate to be playing John since he's so aggressive. Instead of crawling into his shell now, he's pushing pretty hard, which makes the game very interesting for an Allied player in May 1942.
5. I'm constantly reconsidering my Cocos invasion plans. I will not invade unless conditions are optimum. If they aren't, I'll move the Aussie division to Oz where she can assist with a land campaign to retake Carnavon. But if the KB shows up in the Pacific, the conditions may be optimum.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Too, my replay announcer says "Radio, raise command, send main body" rather than "spotted enemy carriers." That's a pretty strong indication this particular force isn't a KB.
Wait, are you saying that the radio chatter actually means something? I always thought it was just ambient sounds!
I can´t remember what version you are playing? If you are using the latest official don´t bother landing with the HQ. It will fragment and no bonus will be given from it! I discovered this in the worst possible manner a few months back...
One more thing I've learned about this game, then. Amazing. Btw, are you going to let him come for Milne Bay (and thus not defend it with your 32nd Div)?
He's had Milne Bay for several months now. I began prepping 32nd Div. for that base and moved it forward via transport several weeks ago (the ships are now well SW of Tahiti). At the time, the Coral Sea was lightly defended with almost no IJ activity. But since the fall of Java and Singapore, John has ratcheted up operations here so that it's now a beehive of activity. Wtih 2nd Division at Milne, that's a no go for the foreeseeable future. In fact, I don't foresee any short term operations in SoPac. I'll likely allow prep to continue, because at some point I'll want to do some things here.
As for "spotted enemy carriers": whenever you hear that, you can be sure that your patrols have made a sighting somewhere on the map. The announcement usually follows the sighting by a couple of seconds, making it sometimes hard to know exactly which sighting includes the carriers, but keep scrolling with your cursor over enemy TF icons and you'll eventually find it (or you can use your Operations Reports to find it I think, but I have fun doing the scroll and search).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
I concur NZ would be fruitless for him, but he may do it anyway - why have the Spanish Armada just to take Luganville. Then again, if KB isn't there, it could just be overkill.
Enjoyed a long stroll up Lavender Mountain at lunch and ended up thinking, "Dude, why are you still considering an invasion of Cocos Island? It has merit, if everything works right, but it entails considerable risk. And besides, wouldn't that Australian division play a much more useful role in Burma?"
I'm 98% sure I'll scrub Cocos.
As for New Zealand, John might do it, though I think he's more likely to shoot for Luganville, Noumea and Fiji.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
And "main body" I'm pretty sure is only if one of your spotters thinks he saw a BB. (ie., you'll find a red TF somewhere that lists a BB, even if he's totally making it up and it was really the Yamamoto Maru FoW).
4. I'm fortunate to be playing John since he's so aggressive. Instead of crawling into his shell now, he's pushing pretty hard, which makes the game very interesting for an Allied player in May 1942.
This is indeed one of the more interesting and better-written AARs. Both you and John are maintaining optimistic outlooks, which makes it more pleasant reading than many.
(And congratulations on saving the New Orleans!)
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
5/13/42 and 5/14/42
China: The Chinese still control the key road hex. As best I can determine, none of the massive IJ army in the Changsha sector has supply. That will change soon. I'm trying to extricate part of my beleagured army. John's trying to erect a fence. More importantly, John seems to be focusing on eradicating my men rather than advancing his. We'll see if that ends up being a mistake. For the near term, the second Chinese MLR hasn't been engaged anywhere yet.
Burma: The Allies have two of the jungle hexes now. Two UK brigades will take two more in a few days. Then an Aussie divisions will take the fifth - and it's the center hex - in a few weeks. John is working on conquering Mytikina - whose garrison is weak. No moves by him to contest the jungle hexes.
India: I scrubbed the Cocos Island mission. The Aussie division is back at Bombay unloading. This division, too, will report to the Burma front. Imphal airfield is level five and rapidly growing with two American EAB units present. John is actively reconning the Assam bases. It's unikely he'll engage in a major invasion at this late date, but my defences will remain in place for several more weeks. Ceylon is not strongly defended, so it will be vulnerable.
Oz: An IJ TF (apparently including one xAKL near Geraldton) and another (apparently two APD) south of Albany. I think this is part and parcel of the same deception plan that involved 1st Raiding Regiment taking the two dot hexes. But nothing else of substance has happened. Over at Melbourne, 9th Marines will arrive tomorrow. The American carriers are cruising near Queenstown, Tasmania, just to remain safely out of sight. I've checked and double-checked my defenses, making sure key railroad bases have adequate garrisons and that some troops are in strat mode so that I can quickly react should John invade either the Perth theater or the Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane theater. Everything looks good to me.
SoPac: John divides his four BBs to bombard Koumac and Efate. Both bombardments inflict minor damage, but more importantly (I think), John knows both bases are occupied. Hopefully, his imagination will get the best of him thinking that I've had time to deal with garrisons. In fact, both bases have a combined AV of six. I don't know if John is coming this way (I think so, but it could be part of an elaborate ruse - combined with Perth theater - while he moves somewhere else - Ceylon, Samoa, Christmas, Kodiak).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John commented in the "Defending Australia" thread that he isn't coming for central China because "it isn't realistic." That made me laugh - as though half the stuff he's done in the game is realistic. More importantly, though, I want John to work as hard as he can because I'm still convinced I can stop him in China (especially with Burma shaping up nicely). So, should I invite John to push as hard as he wants to?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
5/15/42 and 5/16/42
China: One stout Chinese corps behind four forts is still holding the key road hex against overwhelming numbers. It will fall soon, but it's put up quite the fight. There's a chance the Chinese will be able to extricate nearly the entire cut off army. I'll know in a few days. The Kweilin and Nanning sectors are still holding very well. The Chinese really messed up an IJ mixed brigade at Liuchow today.
Burma: 33rd Division will take Myitkyina tomorrow. More importantly, the units moving on the line of jungle hexes are now guaranteed to reach them before any IJ units can. The line is five hexes long. Three of these will be held by good Commonwealth troops (two UK brigades and an Aussie division). One is held by two Indian brigades (needs help, but okay for now). The fifth, which is in the center, is only held by a small Gurkha unit and an arty unit. I'm hoping I can "bluff" that one until help arrives. Another Aussie division is on the way. 41st USA Div., which is 32 days out of Capetown, will go to the front (that one's going to take alot of PP!). I can probaby afford to buy a couple of Indian divisions at this point to augment the front.
India: I won't delve into this any more, but the defense of India proper is secure. Ceylon is vulnerable, but Diego Garcia is safe.
Oz: 9th Marines landed at Melbourne and will report to Rockhampton. Over in the Perth sector, all the huffing and puffing by Japan still hasn't morphed into an actual attack. 32nd Div. is halfway between Tahiti and New Zealand. She'll be the last major American infantry unit committed to Oz (well, also the other two regiments of 3rd Marine Division when they arrive on map). Oz is secure.
SoPac: Japan hasn't done anything in SoPac for several days. I think he's coming for Luganville and New Caledonia, but it suits me if he isn't. From this point forward, major American reinforcements will go to Hawaii and prep for various Pacific islands groups.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Note I sent to John with next turn: "I just saw your note in the "Defending Australia" thread about not going further in China. You are welcome to come as hard and as far as you want. Partly, this is because I think the Chinese are doing a good job and still have a great deal of fight left. Partly, it's because the Allies intend to make Japan pay for what's been going on in China to date. Especially the one-sided air war. So you might as well do your best. "
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.