Wild Sheep Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

Just as a side note the Allied subs don't even get to the KB as it retires today. Air patrols are keeping a good track of their positions and the main body is looping around to the Carolines and back to avoid the subs and to get to the replenishment TF on it's way back toward Mindanao and then on.

I may choose to base it at Balikpapan in the near future, or maybe Tarakan, but I haven't decided yet. Thinking that's 2-3 days form the Andamans, 2-3 days to Sumatra, 1-2 days to java or the S DEI, and 1-2 days to West New Giunea. I need about 3 days in port to get fixed up and have time for planes to come back into groups.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]1 - 2 April 1944[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] The use of subs flooding an area is leading mostly to a constant procession of DC attacks and heavily damaged or sunk boats as I hold out hope of a contact with one of the stricken ships from the week's battles. The I-153 is sunk by 3 US DDs. The I-160 is lost the next day to the same TF.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]S/SW PAC:[/font] Things are quieting down around here. He's air-lifting troops to newly captured Salmi, no doubt an engineer unit. Nothing I can do about that. The 4Es hit Vanimo, most likely trying to burn supply, but there is a lot around. Some units begin hacking through the jungles to get to Aitape from Dagua. It might take a lot longer to do that than to go by sea, but he doesn't need prep time and maybe after the KB incursion there is a bit of question about how long it will be in the area.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]S DEI: [/font]Jacks swept and Jills bombed Darwin for minor hits on the field. He's basing some ld Hudsons here for searching.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] I'm trying to get a night attack going on his bases. It didn't work on the 2nd. I had about 300 bombers aimed at Calcutta at long range. He had 500 bombers there at the time. The next day a portion have moved to Chittagong. I've moved all bombers under the relative protection of the Rangoon CAP, but this is about a one day window before he decides it's worth it to nail Rangoon to wipe those off the board. If it doesn't go today I'll have to pull back. I split all attacks to Ramree Island, Akyab, Chittagong and Calcutta. Akyab has 250 MB and 300 fighters. Chittagong has 150 fighters and 300 bombers again, plus auxiliary. I haven't tried night attacks much, so I'm not sure if they'll be useful or not.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 1, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submarine attack near Wewak at 97,119

Japanese Ships
SS I-153, hits 14, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Kimberly
DD Meade
DD Hobby

SS I-153 is located by DD Kimberly
I-153 diving deep ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Vanimo , at 93,117

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes


Allied aircraft
Mitchell II x 15
B-17E Fortress x 17
B-24D Liberator x 8
B-24D1 Liberator x 61
B-24J Liberator x 44
B-25G Mitchell x 24
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 23


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 63
Airbase supply hits 11
Runway hits 133

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Vanimo , at 93,117

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes


Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 12
B-24J Liberator x 24
B-25D1 Mitchell x 91


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 27

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x B-25D1 Mitchell bombing from 10000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 3 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 8th Area Army, at 102,131 (Kiriwina Island)

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes


Allied aircraft
PV-1 Ventura x 18
B-25C Mitchell x 37


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x PV-1 Ventura bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Fergusson Island (102,132)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 206 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 7

Defending force 127 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Allied adjusted assault: 6

Japanese adjusted defense: 4

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+)


Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
1st Fiji Commando Battalion

Defending units:
2nd JNAF AF Unit /2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 2, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submarine attack near Wewak at 97,119

Japanese Ships
SS I-160, hits 16, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Meade
DD Hobby
DD Kimberly

SS I-160 is located by DD Meade
DD Meade fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Hobby fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Meade attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-160 forced to surface!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Hansa Bay at 98,120

Japanese Ships
SS I-168, hits 9, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Bullard
DD Selfridge
DD O'Bannon

SS I-168 is sighted by escort
DD Selfridge fails to find sub and abandons search
DD O'Bannon fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD O'Bannon attacking submerged sub ....
DD O'Bannon fails to find sub, continues to search...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Hansa Bay at 99,122

Japanese Ships
SS RO-102, hits 12, heavy damage

Allied Ships
AM Inverell
AM Fremantle

SS RO-102 is sighted by escort
RO-102 diving deep ....
AM Inverell attacking submerged sub ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 39th/A Division, at 60,47 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes


Allied aircraft
Liberator II x 9
Liberator B.III x 3
Liberator B.VI x 8
Liberator GR.III x 10
B-17F Fortress x 3
B-24D Liberator x 14
B-24D1 Liberator x 23
B-24J Liberator x 104


Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 1 damaged
Liberator B.VI: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
79 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Liberator II bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Vanimo , at 93,117

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes


Allied aircraft
Mitchell II x 15
B-17E Fortress x 15
B-24D Liberator x 7
B-24D1 Liberator x 57
B-24J Liberator x 38
B-25G Mitchell x 12
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 21


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 17
Airbase supply hits 16
Runway hits 150

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 8th Area Army, at 102,131 (Kiriwina Island)

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 72 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes


Allied aircraft
PV-1 Ventura x 18
B-25C Mitchell x 37

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x PV-1 Ventura bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Vanimo , at 93,117

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes


Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 12
B-24J Liberator x 30
B-25D1 Mitchell x 67
B-25G Mitchell x 12


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Airbase hits 21
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 75

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x B-25D1 Mitchell bombing from 10000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 3 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Aitape at 96,118

Japanese Ships
SS RO-62

Allied Ships
LCT-365, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

LCT-365 is sighted by SS RO-62
SS RO-62 attacking LCT-365 on the surface

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Babeldaob at 93,97

Japanese Ships
SC CHa-12
AM Wa 107
AM Wa 105
xAKL Junpo Maru
xAKL Hachirogata Maru
xAKL Ryuun Maru
PB Banshu Maru #56
SC CHa-65
SC CHa-42

Allied Ships
SS Scorpion

SS Scorpion is sighted by escort
Scorpion diving deep ....
PB Banshu Maru #56 fails to find sub and abandons search
SC CHa-65 fails to find sub and abandons search

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Fergusson Island (102,132)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 201 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 7

Defending force 127 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Allied adjusted assault: 5

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 5 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), morale(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
1st Fiji Commando Battalion

Defending units:
2nd JNAF AF Unit /2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Kiriwina Island (102,131)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 328 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Defending force 1287 troops, 0 guns, 88 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Allied adjusted assault: 6

Japanese adjusted defense: 11

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Fiji Commando Bn /1

Defending units:
22nd Ind. Engr Rgt /1
8th Area Army /1
51st JNAF AF Unit /1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/font]

Reinforcements: Alas, these divisions are restricted.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]MTB G-839 arrives at Hakodate
MGB G-229 arrives at Yokohama/Yokosuka
Okinoshima-1 arrives at Tokyo
SC Ch 60 arrives at Niigata
53rd Sentai arrives at Nagasaki/Sasebo
44th Division arrives at Osaka/Kyoto
81st Division arrives at Utsonomiya
52nd JAAF AF Bn arrives at Takao
E Chiburi arrives at Tokyo
E No.13 arrives at Tokyo
[/font]

Losses:

[font="Trebuchet MS"]Loss of SS I-160 on Apr 02, 1944 is admitted
I-153
[/font]

Ships Sunk:

[font="Trebuchet MS"]LCT-365 is reported to have been sunk near Aitape on Apr 02, 1944
ACM Heath is reported to have been sunk near Efate on Apr 23, 1943
AM Bengal is reported to have been sunk near Terapo on Nov 10, 1943
[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Trebuchet MS"]The Allied troops are still shown as moving to Bassein. He might be serious this time. Maybe. Anyway, I'm treating the situation as real, and two units of big arty, 24cm and 30cm guns just moved in. I lack separate anti-tank guns, but there are some in the two divisions and other units in the base. H hasn't bombed here at all, which makes me think it's not going to happen.
[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments
240mmhowi..japanese.jpg
240mmhowi..japanese.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 222 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by ny59giants »

Chittagong has 150 fighters and 300 bombers again, plus auxiliary. I haven't tried night attacks much, so I'm not sure if they'll be useful or not.

Double check to see what amount of moonlight you have. I prefer to go when its about 75% or more. Are you going to hit just the AF or is there some ships disbanded in the port??
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Chittagong has 150 fighters and 300 bombers again, plus auxiliary. I haven't tried night attacks much, so I'm not sure if they'll be useful or not.

Double check to see what amount of moonlight you have. I prefer to go when its about 75% or more. Are you going to hit just the AF or is there some ships disbanded in the port??

It's just the airfield. I waited until 80% moon, and it didn't go the next day either, at like 89% or so. Flying from a level 9, moral above 96 for all groups, good leaders and I used an escort just for fun.

In the end I only had one more day to try, and I know the night attacks at Rangoon will get more serious if he commits more 4Es and potentially B-29s, so I called a day attack on his 2E base at Akyab, hoping to hit both 3rd gen fighters and 2Es on the ground. It could be expensive though. Jut got the turn back, so we'll soon see. [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

The strike goes well. Interesting turn. I'll post results soon.

Jocke also mentioned possibly changing how we use night attacks. he was concerned to many CAP were being hit as if it was daylight gunning after a turn where I lost more in the air than on the ground from a series of 4E strikes. I think though even if it's not great, night bombing was important to the Allied arsenal of tactics and should remain unrestricted.

Maybe one day I can figure out how to get a good strike as well, but it hasn't worked so far and soon the Allies will have a plethora of NF options.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]3 - 6 April 1944[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One of the problems in doing the AAR a day or two behind the game is that I often break news before it's actually happened in game, especially things I was trying that don't show up in the reports. Such is the case with the planned night attacks. I think I was off by a day of two. i'll outline the trajectory of the targeting of the Allied forward bases below.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] Lots of sub battles in the area North of New Guinea. Several subs hit by our Es, and a few Es lost. It's running about even.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] After some recon visits to Calcutta I realized some more heavies and a good number of other planes were congregating there. I suspect it might be the new shiny B-29s arriving, but to be sure I wanted to try a probing attack. I set the new Peggys from Rangoon on night attack on the 3rd, just one 27 plane group. They didn't fly however.

On the 4th I decided since they hadn't flown and nothing had shown I was trying this, that I'd bring in everything and go big. I had about 5 groups of Helens at Toungoo and 4 of the IJN 2E at Rangoon with another 3 Helen groups. About 350 bombers. Nothing flew again, at about 80% moonlight.

I knew Jocke knew I had strike forces moved in, so on the 5th I moved it all to Rangoon and left about 100 going for Calcutta and split the rest to Chittagong, Akyab and Ramree, each of which had significant targets and 9/10 DL. I added escorts of both NF and day fighters. Still nothing, now at ~88% moonlight.

On the 6th I gave up the idea for now and decided to go for the MB base at Akyab, with 300+ MB, 150+ fighters and 200+ auxiliary present. I set a day strike and threw a few Frank, George and Tojo sweep in, which happily hit before the bombing runs. This time it all went well, but I was lucky it did. Jocke guessed right and put a bunch of fighters in including P-47, Spit VIII and early Mustangs in the CAP. The sweeps did their job and the Oscars and Georges kept most of the defenders away allowing the massed bombers to wreck the fields and destroy more good Allied fighters in a day than I usually can get to in a month, or two. About 20-25 P-47, 20 P-38 and a handful of Spits and Mustangs are destroyed both in air and on the ground. Some Corsair II and Lightning recon planes were nailed as well, which I know don't have big production numbers.

Altogether I believe the Allies lost somewhere near 180+ planes while we lost 139 on the day. A good day. [:)] [I have to go back and open this turn again to check numbers, not sure I'm remembering this rightly]. [EDIT-actual numbers posted below, including more good Allied fighters than I had thought hit on the ground].

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]S/SW PAC:[/font] The Lancetfish spots the Kongo and company heading into Dagua. It's likely Jocke will surmise this is our redoubt. I'll stay on my toes here and most likely move away after a few days rest and ASW activity.

Rabaul is hit hard for several days. I'm getting the feeling he wants it closed! [;)]

This little lull while he builds Sarmi is giving me the chance to get a garrison into the bases on the tip of West New Guinea. It won't stop him, but this time it'll be equal in each so it might slow him a bit if I can get to about 200AV in each. Maybe.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]S DEI: [/font] Jills again go in to Darwin but lose a few planes to flak for one reported Hudson destroyed. He's still not basing fighters here, for good reason, as I've got another bombardment heading in soon.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 1, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 117 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 45
B6N2 Jill x 29

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 2 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson III (LR): 4 damaged

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
29 x B6N2 Jill bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Aitape , at 95,118

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes


Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 18
Mitchell II x 15
B-17E Fortress x 20
B-24D Liberator x 3
B-24D1 Liberator x 72
B-24J Liberator x 76
B-25C Mitchell x 28
B-25D1 Mitchell x 104
B-25G Mitchell x 28
B-25H Mitchell x 14
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 21
PV-1 Ventura x 12


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled


Airbase hits 126
Airbase supply hits 32
Runway hits 399 Overkill? [:D]

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd Army, at 60,47 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes


Allied aircraft
Liberator II x 5
Liberator B.III x 3
Liberator B.VI x 10
Liberator GR.III x 10
B-17F Fortress x 7
B-24D Liberator x 12
B-24D1 Liberator x 26
B-24J Liberator x 95


Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 1 damaged
Liberator B.VI: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
283 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 29 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)


Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Liberator II bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 4, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub attack near Peleliu at 91,103

Japanese Ships
E No.6
E No.4
E No.20
E No.18

Allied Ships
SS Wahoo, hits 31, heavy fires, heavy damage

SS Wahoo launches 2 torpedoes at E No.6
E No.20 attacking submerged sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Davao at 80,93

Japanese Ships
DD Kagero
BB Kongo
DD Kuroshio
DD Arare

Allied Ships
SS Lancetfish

SS Lancetfish launches 2 torpedoes at DD Kagero
Lancetfish diving deep ....
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Rabaul , at 106,125

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights


Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 17
Mitchell II x 15
B-17E Fortress x 17
B-24D Liberator x 10
B-24D1 Liberator x 62
B-24J Liberator x 93
B-25C Mitchell x 32
B-25D1 Mitchell x 116
B-25G Mitchell x 29
B-25H Mitchell x 14
F4U-1A Corsair x 4
F6F-3 Hellcat x 7
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 10
PV-1 Ventura x 12


Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 46
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 199

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 39th/A Division, at 60,47 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes


Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 16
Wellington GR.VIII x 13
Wellington B.X x 32
B-25C Mitchell x 27
B-25D1 Mitchell x 15
B-26 Marauder x 32
B-26B Marauder x 15


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
54 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Blenheim IV bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 5, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 71 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 12
N1K2-J George x 10
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 31



Allied aircraft
Liberator II x 4
Liberator B.III x 3
Liberator GR.III x 7
B-24J Liberator x 17


Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-S Irving: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 4 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 1 destroyed on ground


Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Liberator II bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 15 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 8
N1K2-J George x 10
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 19



Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 4


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 4 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 5
N1K2-J George x 10
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 18



Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 5


Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 2 destroyed


Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 29 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 4
N1K2-J George x 8
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 11



Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 5


Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 1 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 4
N1K2-J George x 6
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 11



Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 6


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 2 destroyed on ground


Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 4
N1K2-J George x 6
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 10



Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 3


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 1 destroyed on ground


No Allied losses

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 4
N1K2-J George x 6
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 9



Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 6


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground


Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 3
N1K2-J George x 4
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 8

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Manokwari at 86,108

Japanese Ships
E No.4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
E No.20

Allied Ships
SS Lapon

SS Lapon launches 2 torpedoes at E No.4
Lapon diving deep ....
E No.20 fails to find sub, continues to search...
E No.20 fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Babeldaob at 91,98

Japanese Ships
E Kasado
E Kanju
E Aguni
E Kurahashi

Allied Ships
SS Tambor, hits 8

SS Tambor launches 2 torpedoes at E Kasado
E Kurahashi attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 89 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 28



Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 4 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson III (LR): 6 damaged
Hudson III (LR): 1 destroyed on ground


Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:
28 x B6N2 Jill bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Darwin , at 76,124

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 111 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 20

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson III (LR): 1 damaged
Hudson III (LR): 1 destroyed on ground
Catalina I: 1 destroyed on ground



Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-49-IIa Helen bombing from 10000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Rabaul , at 106,125

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights


Allied aircraft
PV-1 Ventura x 16
B-17E Fortress x 20
B-24D Liberator x 10
B-24D1 Liberator x 49
B-24J Liberator x 86
B-25C Mitchell x 43
B-25D1 Mitchell x 117
B-25G Mitchell x 28
B-25H Mitchell x 13
F4U-1A Corsair x 4
F6F-3 Hellcat x 14
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 20
PV-1 Ventura x 12


Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 49
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 113

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 39th/A Division, at 60,47 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes


Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 16
Wellington GR.VIII x 16
Wellington B.X x 32
Wellington GR.XIII x 11
B-25C Mitchell x 87
B-25D1 Mitchell x 32
B-26 Marauder x 32
B-26B Marauder x 16

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
76 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)


Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Blenheim IV bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 6, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub attack near Sansapor at 84,106

Japanese Ships
E No.6, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
E No.20

Allied Ships
SS Skipjack, hits 6


SS Skipjack launches 2 torpedoes at E No.6
E No.20 fails to find sub, continues to search...

ASW attack near Quinhon at 68,70

Japanese Ships
E Niizaki
E Chidori
AMC Aikoku Maru
TK San Ramon Maru
TK Nitiei Maru
TK Kuroshio Maru
TK Hoyo Maru
E Hatsutaka
E W-29

Allied Ships
SS Capelin, hits 3

SS Capelin launches 2 torpedoes at E Niizaki
E Hatsutaka attacking submerged sub ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 30



Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 16
Spitfire VIII x 48
P-40K Warhawk x 148
P-40N5 Warhawk x 100
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 49
P-51A Mustang x 25


Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 3 destroyed
P-40N5 Warhawk: 1 destroyed


Aircraft Attacking:
2 x N1K2-J George sweeping at 31000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84a Frank x 49



Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 13
Spitfire VIII x 45
P-40K Warhawk x 140
P-40N5 Warhawk x 94
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 48
P-51A Mustang x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84a Frank: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 7 destroyed
P-40N5 Warhawk: 3 destroyed
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed


Aircraft Attacking:
28 x Ki-84a Frank sweeping at 31000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84a Frank x 35



Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 12
Spitfire VIII x 44
P-40K Warhawk x 111
P-40N5 Warhawk x 83
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 43
P-51A Mustang x 25


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84a Frank: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-40K Warhawk: 4 destroyed
P-40N5 Warhawk: 2 destroyed
P-51A Mustang: 1 destroyed


Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-84a Frank sweeping at 31000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 29 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 49

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 9
Spitfire VIII x 41
P-40K Warhawk x 93
P-40N5 Warhawk x 71
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 40
P-51A Mustang x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed
P-40N5 Warhawk: 2 destroyed
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed


Aircraft Attacking:
29 x Ki-44-IIc Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84a Frank x 9

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 4
Spitfire VIII x 40
P-40K Warhawk x 85
P-40N5 Warhawk x 61
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 38
P-51A Mustang x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84a Frank: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 2 destroyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 117 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 43 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 36
G4M2 Betty x 36
N1K1-J George x 27
P1Y1 Frances x 36

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 3
Spitfire VIII x 39
P-40K Warhawk x 76
P-40N5 Warhawk x 58
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 36
P-51A Mustang x 22


Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 6 destroyed, 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 5 destroyed, 2 damaged
G4M2 Betty: 6 destroyed, 2 damaged
N1K1-J George: 4 destroyed
P1Y1 Frances: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged


Allied aircraft losses
P-40N5 Warhawk: 1 destroyed, 8 damaged
P-40N5 Warhawk: 3 destroyed on ground
Vengeance I: 4 destroyed on ground
Corsair II: 4 destroyed on ground
P-38H Lightning: 12 destroyed on ground
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 9 destroyed on ground
F-5A Lightning: 2 destroyed on ground
Albacore I: 5 destroyed on ground



Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Airbase hits 37
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 100

Aircraft Attacking:
32 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 118 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 98
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 167
Ki-67-Ia Peggy x 25



Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 3
Spitfire VIII x 39
P-40K Warhawk x 71
P-40N5 Warhawk x 55
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 35
P-51A Mustang x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 8 destroyed
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 9 destroyed, 13 damaged

Ki-67-Ia Peggy: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed
P-40N5 Warhawk: 8 damaged
P-40N5 Warhawk: 2 destroyed on ground
Hurricane FR.IIb: 1 destroyed on ground
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 4 destroyed on ground
Albacore I: 3 destroyed on ground
Mosquito PR.IX: 1 destroyed on ground
Corsair II: 1 destroyed on ground
Vengeance I: 2 destroyed on ground
P-38H Lightning: 2 destroyed on ground
F-5A Lightning: 1 destroyed on ground


Airbase hits 22
Runway hits 55

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 112 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 20

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 2
Spitfire VIII x 38
P-40K Warhawk x 59
P-40N5 Warhawk x 46
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 31
P-51A Mustang x 18


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 7 destroyed

No Allied losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Rabaul , at 106,125

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights


Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 17
Mitchell II x 15
B-17E Fortress x 19
B-24D Liberator x 3
B-24D1 Liberator x 71
B-24J Liberator x 66
B-25C Mitchell x 43
B-25D1 Mitchell x 116
B-25G Mitchell x 17
B-25H Mitchell x 14
F4U-1A Corsair x 8
F6F-3 Hellcat x 14
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 20
PV-1 Ventura x 12


Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
38 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Airbase hits 63
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 190

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 39th/A Division, at 60,47 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes


Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 16
Liberator II x 12
Liberator B.III x 12
Liberator B.VI x 3
Liberator GR.III x 20
Wellington GR.VIII x 16
Wellington B.X x 32
Wellington GR.XIII x 12
B-17F Fortress x 3
B-24D Liberator x 12
B-24D1 Liberator x 30
B-24J Liberator x 84
B-25C Mitchell x 59
B-25D1 Mitchell x 32
B-26 Marauder x 32
B-26B Marauder x 16

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 3 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
132 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 20 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 30 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Blenheim IV bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/font]

Reinforcements:

[font="Trebuchet MS"]28th Field AA Machinecannon Company arrives at Tokyo
MTB G-840 arrives at Sapporo
MGB G-230 arrives at Shimizu
SC CHa-79 arrives at Okayama
LST T-113 arrives at Niigata
[/font]

Losses:

[font="Trebuchet MS"]Loss of E No.4 on Apr 05, 1944 is admitted
Loss of SSX Ha-64 on Apr 05, 1944 is admitted
Loss of E No.6 on Apr 06, 1944 is admitted
[/font]

Ships Sunk:

[font="Trebuchet MS"]Previous report of sinking of SS Flying Fish incorrect. Intelligence reports ship is still in service
SS Wahoo is reported to have been sunk near Peleliu on Apr 04, 1944
28th Field AA Machinecannon Company takes replacements from Tokyo
SS Tactician is reported to have been sunk near Victoria Point on Mar 07, 1944
[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Trebuchet MS"]The Peggy's first action is a good one. I'll hope for more of the same in the future. Due to the lower bomb load I had only decided to build 35 a month, but i might begin to convert the Helen factories over as the speed (334mph) might be more of a factor getting to targets as the war moves on. [/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Attachments
Ki6759.jpg
Ki6759.jpg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 222 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Dora09
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by Dora09 »

Wow! Impressive offensive showing by the combined Japanese Army and Naval airforces in 44. I just hit Dec 43 in my PBEM. Peggy just came on line, prior to that I was building only Ki49 IIb but now split some to Peggy. Making ~50 of each now. After seeing your debut with them I am encouraged. I started making Ki84 in October so I am starting to build up their numbers now. I shunted all IJAAF fighter production to Ki84 now (I was building Ki44, and Ki61), but probably make some Ki44IIc whenthey come out and I am making about 40 Ki43IIb just for escort duty (probably shift them to Ki44IIc).
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Dora09

Wow! Impressive offensive showing by the combined Japanese Army and Naval airforces in 44. I just hit Dec 43 in my PBEM. Peggy just came on line, prior to that I was building only Ki49 IIb but now split some to Peggy. Making ~50 of each now. After seeing your debut with them I am encouraged. I started making Ki84 in October so I am starting to build up their numbers now. I shunted all IJAAF fighter production to Ki84 now (I was building Ki44, and Ki61), but probably make some Ki44IIc whenthey come out and I am making about 40 Ki43IIb just for escort duty (probably shift them to Ki44IIc).

Although most of these were still Helens, the Peggys came out nearly unscathed during the raids. I'm thinking they scooted past the CAP in both direction while the defenders chased down the rest and lit up some of the Helens and the naval 2Es after their attacks. Maybe just coincidence, but I'm going to go with it.

I would keep going on both the Ki-43 line and the Ki-44 line, producing through the same factories, as then you won't have to use supplies and HI to change them back later and rebuild them. Not sure if you've already done this or not. Your Oscars are good kamis later as well I've heard.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]NUMBERS[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the actual number for the latest strike against Allied fields. While our numbers were higher than I'd remembered, those also include the usual losses for ops, etc during the day.

The most important part is that a bunch of P-47s and P-38s were hit. During the entire war the Allies have only lost 359 P-47D2, during 9 months. That's roughy 40/month. Around 23 P-38H were also destroyed on the ground. Maybe best of all, 13 Corsair II were nailed as well.

Image
Attachments
4644big.jpg
4644big.jpg (771.88 KiB) Viewed 222 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]INFO and PILOTS[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the main information screen. It shows we're still doing okay in naval numbers in relation to the Allies, although our losses to both subs and surface elements are rising steadily. Overall the VP numbers are still decent. He is closing the gap for sure. if I can stay close to even through into the beginning of 45 I'll be very happy with that.

As for pilots I'm not sure what is good at this stage. I think our ratio of oct pilots to destroyed airframes is not bad. About 3:1 for airframes lost to pilots killed, but that is of course without the MIA. Some of this is probably due to the strategic decision to fight primarily over our own bases and not extend offensively very often after mid-43.

Our leading ace is still Kanda on the Zuiho with 10! A lot of experienced pilots around, but I doubt we'll get any above 15 for the duration often campaign.

QUESTION: Why do we have no strategic losses? What are these in terms of VPs and why do some players have so many into 44-45?

Image
Attachments
41044in..dpilots.jpg
41044in..dpilots.jpg (548.1 KiB) Viewed 222 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]R n D[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Undoubtedly this list of airframes being researched is not focused and optimized for the quickest and most streamlined approach to getting good late planes. I am more interested in seeing as many as I can, using this as a game research opportunity and still trying to stay competitive in game.

One good outcome of this is that I found the Jack to be as good as the George in certain situations, and maybe better in some, where most advice said not to split my production. I've found I like different planes for different uses, and I'm just now beginning to understand how best to optimize their use in different situations.

I'm actually quite excited about a few things coming up. I'd like to see what the Grace can do, really am looking forward to the Peggy (T) for the IJAAF, and surprisingly I am really looking forward to the Ki-95 for long range recon. Although my recon has been good with the Dinah III and Judy-C models, this plane has crazy range and to be able to have a look deeply behind enemy lines could become more and more important as the game moves forward. Even with the engine bonuses I won't see it until early 45 I think.

The Ki-83 is tantalizingly close to getting into R n D, and the A7M is inching forward slowly with one factory right now and no engine bonus until at least 9/44.

I will not build the A6M5c, but will push forward the research to the A6M8 in case it can come before the Sam.

The Randy versions will finally replace the Nick as a back line interceptor and FB, adding better weaponry and a chance to catch up to the B-29. The Ki-102c and the S1A1 Denko will race to see which can become the next go-to late war NF.
Image
Attachments
41044RnD.jpg
41044RnD.jpg (837.01 KiB) Viewed 226 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]AIR REINFORCEMENTS[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a list of reinforcement groups coming soon. All of those arriving in 21 days are from the withdrawal from Rabaul.

QUESTION: What the hell do I do about the Hiyo and Akagi groups that are flying Georges and Jacks? Will they arrive in Tokyo once the date passes? Will they arrive on CVs if they are disbanded in port with empty hangars? How do I make sure they still arrive? The FF group changed to A6M3a also is a problem, but I'm willing to eat that since I actually increased it's size to be a better escorting group after it was upgraded to LBA airframes.

Image
Attachments
41044ai..rcements.jpg
41044ai..rcements.jpg (364.52 KiB) Viewed 226 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]INFANTRY REINFORCEMENTS[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This list is the reason to not get too far behind the historic timetable when playing the Allies. It will become much more secure in the Central Pacific in about a month as multiple infantry units arrive destined to be garrisoning the Marianas, Bonins, Philipinnes and other island groups. Shipping is returning to the HI to prepare for this mass of troops, as I'd like to get them out and on islands within a week after arrival.

I've been pumping up my vehicles and armaments points to get ready for this influx. Armaments are at 89k and vehicles at 22k right now.

Because of this load arriving soon, I absolutely have to hold the Allies for another month right where they are, giving time to build forts and get air groups in place around the Western are of New Guinea and the surrounding islands. The KB will be near and ready to react while search groups and subs will blanket the IO trying to catch any other Allied moves in toward Sumatra, Java or the Andamans.

I also Still have about 2k AV total of brigades and regiments from China and Manchuria waiting for PPs to be bought and sent out to the DEI and the Kuriles.

Image
Attachments
41044in..arriving.jpg
41044in..arriving.jpg (556.52 KiB) Viewed 226 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by Speedysteve »

Sheesh. Never played the Japs this far into the war.....how many new LCU's?![X(]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
GreyJoy
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 pm

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by GreyJoy »

I agree that the Jack is worth to be reserched. It uses the Ha-32 which can be easily stockpiled earlier than the Ha-45 used by the George. Also it climbs lot faster than the George and its weapons are just a little bit less strong than the George's ones.
Once the SAM arrives, it can replace the whole lot of Navy fighters (Zeros, Jacks and Georges), but untill that moment, J&G needs to be both researched imho.
 
I'd probably have put more efforts in the Frank-b....
 
The Grace is a great plane imho. Fast and deadly and with very good range. It's the best LBA anti-naval plane cause it uses only 1 engine instead of the 2 of the Frances (which is another fast plane).
 
...with all those LCUs arriving i fear the consumes of supplies....damn![:o]
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Sheesh. Never played the Japs this far into the war.....how many new LCU's?![X(]

It's going to take virtually my whole lift capacity to get them out in a timely fashion! not a bad problem to have though right now. [;)] unless he's got a quick and massive invasion planned for the next 30 days the Marianas are going to be well stocked.

Another nice addition is that I just got about 10 new AA units with more on the way. I think these are timed to the arrival of the B-29. Not that they'll shoot any down, but maybe the'll at least damage a few.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

I agree that the Jack is worth to be reserched. It uses the Ha-32 which can be easily stockpiled earlier than the Ha-45 used by the George. Also it climbs lot faster than the George and its weapons are just a little bit less strong than the George's ones.
Once the SAM arrives, it can replace the whole lot of Navy fighters (Zeros, Jacks and Georges), but untill that moment, J&G needs to be both researched imho.

I'd probably have put more efforts in the Frank-b....

I should have put more in the Frank -b. It's repairing very slowly as well. Strangely, even though that version is the best plane, the Frank-r might be more useful for me because of our 2nd best maneuver band HR. It can go to almost 40k and get above all but the Hellcat and P-47 I think.

The 2nd generation service two of both George and Jacks are the same in guns, and those are the ones I'll build the most of throughout.
...with all those LCUs arriving i fear the consumes of supplies....damn![:o]

I hate to tell you. I have 450k in Tokyo alone right now, and I've been liberally shipping it out all over the place. I know Japan should realistically be strapped for supplies, but I'm not in this game, at least not yet. Fingers crossed.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Is the Ki-84r on a separate R&D path? If I understand tracker correctly the KI-84b factories can upgrade to the Ki-84r no? If not, I need to make some changes!
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]ENGINE R n D[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the engine research. I'm still a way from getting the Ha-43, but it's ring forward quickly now.

For Ha-32 I had to add more as the Frances P1Y2 uses this instead of the Ha-45.

Most of these are hovering around 500 engines in the pool. I try to keep them right about there so as not to overproduce.

Image
Attachments
41044engines.jpg
41044engines.jpg (653.03 KiB) Viewed 226 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Is the Ki-84r on a separate R&D path? If I understand tracker correctly the KI-84b factories can upgrade to the Ki-84r no? If not, I need to make some changes!

Good question. Not sure. I just know the Ki-84a and -r are on the same path, and the Ki-84b does not upgrade from the Ki-84a. I successfully upgraded the -a to the -r factories, so that definitely works.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”