ORIGINAL: crsutton
ORIGINAL: veji1
I think CrSutton underestimates the impact of stacking limits. With Stacking limits Greyjoy's strategy is the right one. It is manpower intensive though, but normally to break through in on hex, the allies will need a few weeks of attack and that gives enough time to retreat. As often with Burma the problem is that as soon as the jungle is abandoned, the plains are lost.
Of course the back door has to be protected, but it looks to be the case, at least as much as possible.
I really think stacking limits makes forward defense in rough terrain in Burma the most sensible strategy, and a viable one for quite some time.
You are right, I forgot about the stacking limits and how they affect combat. But Pegu is open terrain is it not? Could the Allies put four divisions ashore there along with strong tank support? I would if it could be done....But GJ is pretty good at reading Q-Ball so his own intel is important. If the Allies are not shifting assets to India-meaning lots of American units and assault ships, then he is fairly safe for a while.
Well, yes, probably if he lands 90,000 men at Pegu he can break my lines... but he first needs to get there. The US CVs were in the Solomons untill 6 days ago. All his landing ships are there AFAIK...most of them anyway. My early warning system is pretty extended by now. I have more than 54 Nells and 18 Emilies, along with some 8 Dinah-IIIs covering the whole Bengal Bay and with arcs from Colombo to Cocos... i will see him coming with not less than 4-5 days. What can i do in those 5 days? Well, i can mass all my LBA reserves, even moving a lot of planes from the Pacific and i can strat rail 1 division in reserve at Mandalay. Not much, i know, but what shall i do? Probably 90,000 americans aren't stoppable in open terrain even if i had 5 divisions...and i cannot have 5 divisions dug in in every possible landing site.
I wouldn't choose Pegu if i was him. Western Sumatra is much more interesting and it's on the border of my defensive line, not in the middle!







