Where is the tutorial?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Where is the tutorial?

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: mantrain

I am surprised so many people love this game. Thing is, games are to enjoy, but if it takes so long to learn, well, surprising so many breached that cliff of required knowledge to enjoy this game.

Because actually the enjoyment begins while learning. I know, and played, the series for a very long time now (about 10 years), but I will never forget the feeling of awe when I began to understand what wonderful love for detail was put into the game, on so many levels, what it means to be able to conduct grand strategy with so many tactical layers, and how complex and intelligent the overlaps between those layers were designed.

mantrain, if you feel overwhelmed by the learning curve, don´t worry. Many people here learned the game by jumping right into a grand campaign, but others have not. I am a big fan of the small scenarios, and reccommend them everytime I see someone new to the game posting about its scale.

If you have not already, check out Damians great basic tutorials for a start, then launch a scenario:

1000mile war is a great way to start making mistakes. Use it to get a general feel for the very basic game mechanisms, how to conduct small amphib ops, fight surface battles, and how to fight sub war, conduct ASW, and do small scale air ops.

Coral Sea is the best way to get a basic understanding of how a carrier battle works.

Both above scenarios are very short and can be handled in a few days, depending on your time available for the game. This enables you to replay them in case you want to eradicate some errors you made in your first attempts. Switch sides to understand the difficulties presented to your opponent. If you start to get bored by the small scale, usually it is a good sign to increase the scale.

Fire up Guadalcanal, and I promise, if you already understand the basic game mechanics, and know a bit about the historical background of the campaign, even against the AI the game will be fascinating. Play both sides, take your time, and enjoy the replays. Good analysis of the combat replays and reports are very important for later grand cmpaigns, and PBEM. Thankfully they are exciting to watch when it is your own units fighting for survival.

This approach has two big advantages: You can split the learning curve into smaller segments, and you can pay much more attention to details which will be missed in later by the scale of the grand campaign. Who cares if that approach takes half a year, a year, or longer?

The great thing about WitP is, the journey is the reward.


Edit: Tuorials are here
Image
mantrain
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:54 pm

RE: Where is the tutorial?

Post by mantrain »

Thanks LoBaron, everyone.
is there a checklist of what should be done prior to clicking the end turn button? I mean, the game is vast, how did I know I did what I need to do?

What recommendations as far as turn cycle to begin with? 2 days?
HexHead
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: I'm from New Hampshire; I only work in cyberspace

RE: Where is the tutorial?

Post by HexHead »

There is a checklist or spreadsheet, stickied in one of the subforums - Strategy, I think.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
HexHead
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: I'm from New Hampshire; I only work in cyberspace

RE: Where is the tutorial?

Post by HexHead »

ORIGINAL: mantrain

Thanks LoBaron, everyone.
is there a checklist of what should be done prior to clicking the end turn button? I mean, the game is vast, how did I know I did what I need to do?

What recommendations as far as turn cycle to begin with? 2 days?


Once you wear out a mouse with clicking, it starts to gel and make sense.

...

Seriously, the best way is to start with, "How do I get stuff from here to there? How about men & materiel? How do I tell my B-17s on Pearl to do a Naval Search & Attack in a hopelessly naive attempt to 'catch' the Kido Butai & punish them?"

Things like that. Hmmm, got some good Aussie elements mired in Singapore. How do I get them out?

Then you start to move on to seeing that Port Strikes are how you deny seaborne supply at the terminus; how LBA & CV air mesh; and how to conduct an amphibious assault.

Start with the Thousand Mile scenario - it'll teach you the basics of how to get from A to B 'cross the waves.

And read GreyJoy (A) vs Rader (J) in the AARs. It 's funny and a great learning tool - lotsa good tips.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Where is the tutorial?

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mantrain

Thanks LoBaron, everyone.
is there a checklist of what should be done prior to clicking the end turn button? I mean, the game is vast, how did I know I did what I need to do?


One of the great things about a game this long is it doesn't matter in 99% of the cases. If you forget something do it tomorrow.
The Moose
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”