Game Start-up Time

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
User avatar
Osito
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 am

Game Start-up Time

Post by Osito »

How long does it take you to load the game? I'm not talking about loading saves, but starting the game initially: you know, feeding the Giant Kaltors and so on.

I just timed it, and it takes me about 100 seconds. My system is reasonably quick, so I wanted to know whether it takes about the same length of time for everyone else, or whether this is something I need to investigate.

Osito
Osito
Bingeling
Posts: 5186
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Bingeling »

100 seconds feels about right. It is a significant amount of time.
User avatar
drillerman
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: Blighty

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by drillerman »

Yes, takes a long time to start first time but subsequent starts are a lot faster!
Huh?
Cauldyth
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Cauldyth »

Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]
User avatar
Osito
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Osito »

Thank you all for the confirmation.
Osito
invaderzim
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by invaderzim »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]

Does this cause weird things to happen? I swear DW is buggier if I don't restart it occasionally. But I can't prove it either way. [&:]
User avatar
scotten_usa
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:52 pm

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by scotten_usa »

ORIGINAL: invaderzim
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]

Does this cause weird things to happen? I swear DW is buggier if I don't restart it occasionally. But I can't prove it either way. [&:]

If my screen saver kicks in or I lock my Win7 PC, DW crashes. [&:]
maeschba
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:18 pm

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by maeschba »

ORIGINAL: ScottenChi

If my screen saver kicks in or I lock my Win7 PC, DW crashes. [&:]

Fortunately not if you save and exit to the game's main menu before you go AFK.
jesuswhywhy
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:00 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by jesuswhywhy »

lol, yeah well.. i have my ds on ssd to no avail haha.. to be fair im in no rush to load it up, im happy to browse at something and wait for it to pop up
Bingeling
Posts: 5186
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: ScottenChi
ORIGINAL: invaderzim
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]

Does this cause weird things to happen? I swear DW is buggier if I don't restart it occasionally. But I can't prove it either way. [&:]

If my screen saver kicks in or I lock my Win7 PC, DW crashes. [&:]
Is there a crash box mumbling something about XNA? If so, changing to another screen saver may help.
Buio
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 pm

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Buio »

Took 49s to start for me after a reboot. I'm running Distant Worlds from an SSD.
User avatar
Darkspire
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:07 pm
Location: My Own Private Hell

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Buio

Took 49s to start for me after a reboot. I'm running Distant Worlds from an SSD.

Warp speed [8D] DW for me takes 151 seconds to load. I remember the days loading 'Attack of the Mutant Camels' on my 130XE would take so long that you could walk up the shop and back and it might be done when you got back, got to love the advances in tech [:D]

Darkspire
Buio
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 pm

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by Buio »

I have some games on the SSD, but have to be mindful of space. Most games don't benefit much from an SSD anyway, I guess it's CPU limited when setting up data from loading or something like that. Very nice with OS and normal work though.
jesuswhywhy
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:00 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by jesuswhywhy »

tempted to change my stock clock to 4.4 again hmmm

edit: done 4.4 now no massive change, but a bit lol
historyis
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:09 am
Contact:

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by historyis »

On my non-SSD HD, it takes about 70 seconds.
User avatar
feelotraveller
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:08 am

RE: Game Start-up Time

Post by feelotraveller »

You guys make me want to cry.    It takes my system approx. 300 seconds.  Not complaining too much since it is about 40% of the time it took for the initial Legends release on the same machine.  [:'(] 
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”