Combat Net and Zone Alarm - Possible?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Windo von Paene
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Combat Net and Zone Alarm - Possible?

Post by Windo von Paene »

So I recently got DSL, and decided I needed a firewall, so I got Zone Alarm. So I go to try and run the GameServer. I login, things appear to be going OK. However, I do get an alert that says someone just tried to ping me, but ZA blocked the ping, and has hidden my PC in stealth mode, so it can't be seen by the "outside". There was someone in the room at the time, so in spite of the error, we tried to start a game, with me hosting. this seemed to work, with one wierd exception, which was while it listed the other user as a player, instead of seeing my name as the other player, I saw:

"DavidServer"

where my username should have been. Could that be David Heath? A default from the programmers is my guess. So this suggests it isn't working quite right. I've set ZA to allow the gameclient access, and mech.exe has rights to act as a server. Anyone else using ZoneAlarm, (or any other firewall for that matter), and having success?
User avatar
Arralen
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun May 21, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Arralen »

Using it myself ... (right now as I'm typing this Image )

Try adding the IP-address of the other machines to the "local zone", and set local zone to "low security".

Needed to do this with a mailserver to get a mail prog running.

Dunno if this is a bug or a feature, but as far as I know it's the case even with the latest version.


hope this helps

Arralen
AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Kingston SV300 120 GB
Windows 8.1
Hauptmann6
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Portage, MI
Contact:

Post by Hauptmann6 »

You need ot turn the security down to medium or low, try medium and use it if it works.
Windo von Paene
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Windo von Paene »

Thanks, I'll give those a try
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”