Floodgate control

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Floodgate control

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

While I am loathe to suggest that Matrix doesn't have the best forums software under the sun, is it possible to add or incorporate "floodcontrol" or whatever the industry calls it to the site.

This would quite frankly be a good thing for at least attempting to eleviate some of what appears to be a current hassle for Matrix Games.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Post by Raverdave »

Yup, that sounds like a fair idea. These spamers are getting to be a right pain the arse.
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

Perhaps the registration process needs to be a delayed one. Say, a moderator checks if the supplied information is correct before activating the username. Spammers like the recent couple examples usually have so obviously bogus email addresses that this method might keep them out..and they probably don't have the patience to wait for several hours before allowed to post.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Grok
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Col. SC USA
Contact:

Post by Grok »

Originally posted by Voriax
Perhaps the registration process needs to be a delayed one. Say, a moderator checks if the supplied information is correct before activating the username. Spammers like the recent couple examples usually have so obviously bogus email addresses that this method might keep them out..and they probably don't have the patience to wait for several hours before allowed to post.

Voriax


Any action taken to prevent spamming, can't be bad. Your idea is worth a try if no other viable options are readily available. Now, who's the lucky admin/mod that gets that venerable job? heh
"My teeth have more bite, than your mouth has bark!"
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

I'm not sure if it will delay the bots some are using, but the time betweeen posts has been increased from 15 sec to 1 min.
User avatar
U2
Posts: 2009
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Västerås,Sweden
Contact:

Post by U2 »

Originally posted by Paul Vebber
I'm not sure if it will delay the bots some are using, but the time betweeen posts has been increased from 15 sec to 1 min.


15 sec to 1 min? I always used to see my post directly after posting it...maybe the others had to wait 15 sec to see it? BTW I think it is a good idea to increase this time like you have done.

EDIT: OK BETWEEN posts...I understand now..doh!:)

Cheers
Dan
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

The forum software wants the user to confirm his email, we set that from the very beginning, all that registered here legally should now the procedure. Flood control is on and was allways. This forum software is indeed one of the best (if not the) around there and it´s running on the latest version too.

However if somebody is programming something like a bot for spamming the boards, I´m pretty sure he get´s around the email confirmation and flood controll too ;). There´s only so much you can do against hackers.
User avatar
Ross Moorhouse
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Ross Moorhouse »

These people are also hacking into servers to get access to the net as I have traced them to both the USA and the Mid East using the same log in name. They are banned now.
Ross Moorhouse
Image
Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org
User avatar
CCB
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:14 pm

Post by CCB »

Originally posted by Ross Moorhouse
These people are also hacking into servers to get access to the net as I have traced them to both the USA and the Mid East using the same log in name. They are banned now.


Al Qeada?? :eek:
Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”