The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

I'm sure we have a few on-line players on this forum...what strategy games are worth playing, free or paid? Thanks!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

I guess there are not many on-line players here? [&:]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Twotribes »

I play MMOrpgs never found an online strat that wasn't swarm and win.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
Orm
Posts: 33467
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Sweden

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Orm »

The only on-line game I play at the moment is World of Tanks.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
ezzler
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:44 pm

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by ezzler »

Only play wars of the roses.
User avatar
sterckxe
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:09 am
Location: Flanders
Contact:

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by sterckxe »

Currently playing Diplomacy online at playdiplomacy.com (free)
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Josh »

Not exactly a strategy game but I thoroughly enjoyed "Iron Front Liberation 1944". It's a hardcore FPS (like the ARMA series) set in WWII, there is an add-on now set in Normandy.
Nothing like sitting with your team in a tank online, one driver, one loader, one gunner, one commander. Very slow paced but extremely tense and exciting. I remember using a Russian AT gun waiting in ambush for the German panzers... I could hear them coming closer and couldn't see them yet... nailbiting guaranteed.
Haven't played it in a while though because that cursed Advanded Tactics Gold sucks up al my playing time.
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

Thank you all for your game info, I will check them out this weekend! I started playing "Grepolis" a few days ago, the jury is still out on this one. I will let you know about it in due time...thanks again for all your info!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I play MMOrpgs never found an online strat that wasn't swarm and win.

Which MMOrpgs do you play? Thanks in advance!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Twotribes »

I played Everquest for 7 years it died out, they had a sequel Everquest 2 never went to it. I hear Everquest the original is making a comeback. I play Dungeons and Dragons online ( DDO for short) have for 7 years. I am currently playing Neverwinter by Cryptic. Neverwinter is a free game you can spend money to buy stuff but you don't need to everything can be gotten eventually even by one not spending a dime. DDO is free but there is content you must pay to play. Not sure about the come back Everquest.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I played Everquest for 7 years it died out, they had a sequel Everquest 2 never went to it. I hear Everquest the original is making a comeback. I play Dungeons and Dragons online ( DDO for short) have for 7 years. I am currently playing Neverwinter by Cryptic. Neverwinter is a free game you can spend money to buy stuff but you don't need to everything can be gotten eventually even by one not spending a dime. DDO is free but there is content you must pay to play. Not sure about the come back Everquest.

Thank you for your game recommendation info! I will definitely check them all out! Happy Gaming to you! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
Boomer78
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:12 am

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Boomer78 »

I remember watching the battle of Caldari Prime (Eve: Online) on youtube. Holy god... it's just too much for me, so overwhelming, the idea of thousands of players blasting each other and their very expensive ships to pieces. I'm getting a little too old for that sort of thing, but it was amazing to watch.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

I remember watching the battle of Caldari Prime (Eve: Online) on youtube. Holy god... it's just too much for me, so overwhelming, the idea of thousands of players blasting each other and their very expensive ships to pieces. I'm getting a little too old for that sort of thing, but it was amazing to watch.

Thanks for post...are you playing any on-line strategy games at the moment?

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
Boomer78
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:12 am

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Boomer78 »

Oh, no. I'm not twitchy enough for that kind of reflex. Only thing I've played online recently was DayZ. Got sniped and camp-spawn killed enough to learn that I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.

DayZ and its parent game, Arma 2, are both really good at basic tactical strategy. I don't know if your scope goes higher to a planning or operational level, but for boots on the ground stuff, Arma 2 and its various mods will do the trick. Online play is usually stable and has some decent co-op.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Oh, no. I'm not twitchy enough for that kind of reflex. Only thing I've played online recently was DayZ. Got sniped and camp-spawn killed enough to learn that I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.

DayZ and its parent game, Arma 2, are both really good at basic tactical strategy. I don't know if your scope goes higher to a planning or operational level, but for boots on the ground stuff, Arma 2 and its various mods will do the trick. Online play is usually stable and has some decent co-op.


Thanks for that [:D], I have an eclectic taste for games, I enjoy all the genres. I just wish I had the time and talent to create games. I will check out your recommendations this weekend and Happy Gaming to you!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by Josh »

And don't forget ARMA III is just around the corner, a paid beta is available at Steam, or early access whatever they call it.
User avatar
demyansk
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:55 pm

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by demyansk »

I think WarThunder is great, flight sim
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

And don't forget ARMA III is just around the corner, a paid beta is available at Steam, or early access whatever they call it.

That is good to know, thanks!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
wings7
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

I think WarThunder is great, flight sim

I will check this out, thank you for that!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
User avatar
demyansk
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:55 pm

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Post by demyansk »

Patrick,

The warthunder game http://warthunder.com/ is very similar to those who play world of tanks but its a different game then the new release of world of planes. It's free and the scenery is OUTSTANDING!!!!!! You can buy planes and you don't have to pay a DIME to play this game. The developers are working on getting the naval and land forces involved in the game from a human perspective. The AI land forces are very tough, tanks move on the battlefield as well as the naval forces. I have been shot down a number of times. At the present moment, team playing is not the greatest but you can invite friends to your game etc. I could write a large dissertation on this game but download it and you will love it. Look me up and i can get you on TS with other players.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”