Optional Rules

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bo
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:52 pm

RE: Optional Rules

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: konevau
So which Optional Rules do you insist on for the different scenarios?

Are there any that you stay away from for certain scenarios?

I don't like artillery (which in my experience make life too easy for the defender) or pilots (because I don't think they add anything to the game but complexity). Am I going to be able to find an opponent who shares my particular prejudices?

I felt the exact same way you do at one time until I became a beta tester and played with and without pilots and arty. I was always leery of complexity in computer war games until now. The finest thing about this game is any optional rule can be used or discarded but I beg you give them a chance. For example in the Pacific theater of war in the game, a fast start game come with carrieres with implied naval air power, I guarantee you will start a new game and use actual naval air units as soon as possible instead of implied air units.

Arty is excellent when you want to support a ground attack against a hex because it cannot be intercepted like aircraft can.

Bo

User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Allied Combat Friction



Image
Attachments
AlliedCom..Friction.jpg
AlliedCom..Friction.jpg (252.78 KiB) Viewed 352 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Chinese Attack Weakness



Image
Attachments
ChineseAt..Weakness.jpg
ChineseAt..Weakness.jpg (238.84 KiB) Viewed 352 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Fractional Odds



Image
Attachments
FractionalOdds.jpg
FractionalOdds.jpg (386.26 KiB) Viewed 352 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Limited Overseas Supply




Image
Attachments
LimitedOv..sSupply.jpg
LimitedOv..sSupply.jpg (211.14 KiB) Viewed 352 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Limited Supply Across Straits



Image
Attachments
LimitedSu..Straits.jpg
LimitedSu..Straits.jpg (224.46 KiB) Viewed 352 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

and lastly Variable Reorganization Costs



Image
Attachments
VariableR..onCosts.jpg
VariableR..onCosts.jpg (312.32 KiB) Viewed 352 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Joseignacio
Posts: 3177
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Joseignacio »

Thanks for all that effort.

[&o]
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: Optional Rules

Post by captskillet »

Jose, what scenario/rule set(s) would you recommend for a newb to get his feet wet, massive doesn't scare me as I'm an old WITP-AE player and I dont think they get any more massive than that.
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
User avatar
Joseignacio
Posts: 3177
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Joseignacio »

Captskillet: Athough I am a long time player, I am not by far the most knowledgeable on WIF, surely someone can advise better. HOwever, here are my 20 cents.:

Don't remember the names but there is a scenario that I would start with (maybe Barbarossa?), which is just the German-Russian part of the war with some touches of american-CW help to Murmansk. This will allow you to handle only one front, not have to deal (I think) with the American Entry system, not touch the non-european size hexes rules, and very few naval affairs. This way you learn, the sequence, supply, land, air, ..., which is more than enough.

I'd say this is the way to start.
User avatar
composer99
Posts: 2931
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

RE: Optional Rules

Post by composer99 »

Barbarossa and Guadalcanal scenarios are good starts for anyone learning the game; the former for learning the land/air and production systems, and the latter for the naval/air system (which is probably the hardest element of WiF to master).

With respect to optional rules, for the first few games I would suggest as few as possible.

However, most optional rules do not add a great deal of complexity - in my mind Oil, Intelligence, and Railroad Movement are probably the only ones that add a significant cognitive burden (although I am speculating with respect to Intelligence, having never played it).
~ Composer99
User avatar
Irish Guards
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:09 pm

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Irish Guards »

I seem to remember a chart or an article that went thru all the optional rules .. as such at the time ...
and basically gave them a # with plus and minus .... for each MP ... ????
I will have to look but .. does any1 remember that ... ???????
IDG

[8|]
User avatar
composer99
Posts: 2931
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

RE: Optional Rules

Post by composer99 »

If memory serves that is the "Millennium" Annual from 2000 or so.
~ Composer99
User avatar
Missouri_Rebel
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Southern Missouri

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Thanks for all that effort.

[&o]

I'm glad you appreciate it.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Erik Rutins »

Bump.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post Reply

Return to “World in Flames”