Building a new rig

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

histgamer
Posts: 1458
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:28 am

RE: Building a new rig

Post by histgamer »

You must not keep much on you're drive. My boot drive loads everything incredibly quickly but I don't need it to run a wargame, the difference on loading a game is very minimal the OS is where the real advantage lies and spinning disks give you way more storage space. Good luck getting a 1 TB drive on an SSD and if you want fast you can using multiple HDDs in a RAD5 setup.
ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.




That's funny, I won't ever buy another spinning disc platter drive again. SSD all the way for me.

I guess you like buying drives every other year then. The life expectancy of an SSD is very minimal.

I've had great results with the two that I've owned in the past 4 years. No failures yet, (fingers crossed). Much faster booting than spinning disc platter type.


aaatoysandmore
Posts: 2846
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm

RE: Building a new rig

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.




That's funny, I won't ever buy another spinning disc platter drive again. SSD all the way for me.

hope it lasts as long as the one I've had since 1998 and still going......crosses fingers. I've read horror stories online about SSD drives failing, I won't touch them until they get some longevity like spinners have had.

I guess you like buying drives every other year then. The life expectancy of an SSD is very minimal.

I've had great results with the two that I've owned in the past 4 years. No failures yet, (fingers crossed). Much faster booting than spinning disc platter type.


User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Building a new rig

Post by wodin »

There is some fancy new thing called Mantel that AMD use in any card for 7 series upwards which apparently is going to boost the cards no end when it starts getting used more..so personally I would go for anything less than a 7850..I was just looking at a7870 for £14 which isn't that much for a card thats so good.
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
ORIGINAL: flanyboy

That's actually why I went intel 3 years ago instead of AMD. AMD was preping for their Bulldozer CPU and that would use a new socket, so I went with Intel's LGA 1155 and their new Sandy Bridge. Still have my Sandy Bridge but at least I can upgrade to an Ivy if I want. Sadly even sockets only last a couple of generations but there is no real reason for a Haswell over a Ivy as the real performance difference is power consumtion which isn't really important for my desktop.
ORIGINAL: wodin

Yep the MB is really the most important..as you'll prob have that longer than anything else..make sure the latest CPU's fit it's socket.

Same here, Intel rules while AMD drools. [:D] I personally use Gigabyte for my MB's love their cooling systems, I also like ATI Raedeon cards so the 7870 or 7880 is great but if you can't afford then the 5770 is still pretty powerful for mid range computers and especially real wargames that use icons and not 3D graphics. The one thing I like most abouty my setup is that nearly all the games I own from WIN98 days and XP days (I own vista 64 now) still work on this setup. I've heard horror stories about Win7 and Win8 of certain games not working anymore.
User avatar
Boomer78
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:12 am

RE: Building a new rig

Post by Boomer78 »

Wodin,
I slapped in a Radeon 7700 HD a few months ago. It's smoking. It's already a year or two old, but it is a great card. Has run everything I've run on it maxed out no probs.

The 7000 series are available now for under 90 bones. Quite a steal for a really good run of cards. Newegg has a Sapphire 7750 DDR5 for 85 bucks.
"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Building a new rig

Post by wodin »

Boomer I have a 6850 which is faster than a 7700..so it would be a 7870 I'd go for..as I said I can see one for 124 including VAT and shipping. Infact my old 4870 is nearly as good as the 7770. I want a 7 series due to this "Mantle tech..whatever that is.
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: Building a new rig

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I just purchased an installed a Geforce 770 GTX and received $180 in free games.

Very happy with the card so far

You can purchase a Geforce 660 GTX, 660 ti, 670 GTX, 770 GTX, 780 GTX or Geforce 780 Titan and receive the free games.

The games are Assassin Creed Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell Blacklist
User avatar
goodwoodrw
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:19 pm

RE: Building a new rig

Post by goodwoodrw »

G'day built my rig today. i have a question hopefully somebody can answer. Everything is working except I can't load my Nvidia drivers, the computer doesn't recognize my card. I have change the settings in the BIOS I have disable the onboard card. I can't find the Nividia card in the Device Manager, and strangely enough my video lead IS connected to the the Nvidia Card not the on board card. I'm at a loss. The board is a Gigabyte 1155 socket.
Formerly Goodwood

histgamer
Posts: 1458
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:28 am

RE: Building a new rig

Post by histgamer »

So the GPU is plugged into you're motherboard, did you double check the power supply is the GPU connected to you're power supply? What GPU do you have? What model of Gigabyte Mothboards do you have? It sounds like something isn't plugged in all the way. Does the GPU's own fan run on start-up? That could indicate the power supply isn't hooked up properly.
User avatar
goodwoodrw
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:19 pm

RE: Building a new rig

Post by goodwoodrw »

The GPU is working the Fans runs fine in fact the monitor is plugged into it.
The mother board is a Gigabyte GA-H61m-s2pv 1155 socket.
GPU is an old Gig Nvidia 210 series ( Still bought a new one yet.
What I should do is try my Nvidia 650 series.
Another point is the computer won't recognize my Monitor Driver either, a BEnQ LCD
Formerly Goodwood

User avatar
goodwoodrw
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:19 pm

RE: Building a new rig

Post by goodwoodrw »

Fixed my old card had a compatibility issue, I guess, I put my 650 series card in no issues. Just have to wait for my new card to come and I'll put in old or computer. Old card works fine in older rig.
Formerly Goodwood

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”