Problem w/ AI waypoints
Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
Problem w/ AI waypoints
OK. I am working a scenario and I have a few units designated to run out and grab some unclaimed VL locations once the scenario starts. They are only a few hexes away and I would think that the AI would not have a problem running out and grabbing those "freebies". But the entire scenario those units just sit in place. I do not have them set to be Inactive or Locked. I even added in waypoints for them, then re-saved the scenario just in case. They still just sit there while the other units move with no problem BUT while those other units move around the map, they do not seem interested in the unclaimed VL locations either.
Am I doing something wrong?
Am I doing something wrong?
- Mad Russian
- Posts: 13255
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 pm
- Location: Texas
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Do you have screen shot?
Thanks.
Good Hunting.
MR
Thanks.
Good Hunting.
MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
- CapnDarwin
- Posts: 9782
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm
- Location: Newark, OH
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Being a few hexes away from the objectives the AI may already consider itself in a position to defend those objectives. Are these enemy or neutral? I would also move the forces back a few more hexes and see if that entices them to close an take the objective then spread out to defend.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!
Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Well, it might spoil FOW a little for my campaign [:D] but yeah, let me see if I can grab one.ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Do you have screen shot?
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
Being a few hexes away from the objectives the AI may already consider itself in a position to defend those objectives. Are these enemy or neutral? I would also move the forces back a few more hexes and see if that entices them to close an take the objective then spread out to defend.
They are really close so that could be it, they are neutral. I did manage to see one move but in went in the opposite direction from the objective so I put it on the other side and now it doesn't move at all.
Screenshot to follow in a few, gotta mark it up.
- Mad Russian
- Posts: 13255
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 pm
- Location: Texas
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
We can talk when we have a screen shot. I do lots of things with VL's.
Many times I put a neutral VL in a sides setup zone. Sometimes I even put a unit on it in that setup zone. The reason for that is to have the contested numbers be as close to 45-55 as I can get them.
I normally don't have issues with the AI taking them immediately.
Good Hunting.
MR
Many times I put a neutral VL in a sides setup zone. Sometimes I even put a unit on it in that setup zone. The reason for that is to have the contested numbers be as close to 45-55 as I can get them.
I normally don't have issues with the AI taking them immediately.
Good Hunting.
MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Ok, lets see if this takes. Basically the 3 Patrols (boxed in Yellow) are to move to and take the neutral/unclaimed VL locations once the scenario begins but they are just sitting there. I guess I could set the objectives to NATO held but if so, would that affect the victory condition calculations because they start NATO held?


- Attachments
-
- ai_move_issues.jpg (215.66 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
And to add, that patrol in the south. He takes off further to the south and there are no VL down there.
- Mad Russian
- Posts: 13255
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 pm
- Location: Texas
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
First, put your Soviet units right on the VL's. They will take them immediately when the scenario starts.
Second, take those 5 - 500 point VL's and make them one. Put something bigger than 750 on them if you want the AI to take them. The AI is going to take the two 750 point VL's you have to the north and south of them and ignore them probably. Put something like 1000 or 1500 on that location and it will go get it.
The unit that moves further south is finding a better defensive position for the 750 VL other than sitting right on it. Sooner or later the AI will take it.
How are you playtesting this scenario? From the Soviet or NATO side? DO NOT LET THE AI PLAYTEST FOR YOU!!!!! In other words, no AI vs AI gaming here.
Good Hunting.
MR
Second, take those 5 - 500 point VL's and make them one. Put something bigger than 750 on them if you want the AI to take them. The AI is going to take the two 750 point VL's you have to the north and south of them and ignore them probably. Put something like 1000 or 1500 on that location and it will go get it.
The unit that moves further south is finding a better defensive position for the 750 VL other than sitting right on it. Sooner or later the AI will take it.
How are you playtesting this scenario? From the Soviet or NATO side? DO NOT LET THE AI PLAYTEST FOR YOU!!!!! In other words, no AI vs AI gaming here.
Good Hunting.
MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Testing from both sides, I edit the Scenario, play as NATO, then Soviet. It will be for a NATO campaign and maybe a play from NATO side, stand alone scenario. Playing as the Soviets they move just fine. Slow, maybe because they are Independent Units and HQ are so far away but eventually they move as I direct them. The odd thing is the one in the South where he moves away from the VL. If I put just North of the VL, he heads North. If a hex to the South, he runs off to further to the South. The concept I am try to simulate is the Soviets closing the NATO exit routes as they move into the pocket and NATO having to 'pop' those routes open.
- Mad Russian
- Posts: 13255
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 pm
- Location: Texas
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Yes, he is going to the best location to defend the VL from. Depending on where you put him should depend on where he moves to. Try putting him right on the VL and see what happens.
Good Hunting.
MR
Good Hunting.
MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
- DoubleDeuce
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Crossville, TN
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Yeah, what I'm thinking on this situation is put them on the VL hex and set as reinforcements. I noticed once they grab the hex, they move off to an adjacent wooded or urban hex and change to the defense. At least the majority of the ones did when I tested them. Nice! [;)]ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Yes, he is going to the best location to defend the VL from. Depending on where you put him should depend on where he moves to. Try putting him right on the VL and see what happens.
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
I also encountered a "problem" with waypoints.
I am trying to set up a kind of flanking movement, but the enemy forces are pretty much ignoring the waypoints and going straight for the VL.
Is there a way to circumvent that?

I am trying to set up a kind of flanking movement, but the enemy forces are pretty much ignoring the waypoints and going straight for the VL.
Is there a way to circumvent that?

- Attachments
-
- route.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
- CapnDarwin
- Posts: 9782
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm
- Location: Newark, OH
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Yankee66, can you draw what you want and what they are doing? Another issue I see is no bridges on the map. The AI path may have an issue with the lack of crossing options too. We should be able to figure this out.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!
Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Hey Yankee66--Do you have bridges over the rivers? I don't see any on the map. That could be the first problem. Also, if you want the AI to go in a particular direction, you may want to consider and intermediate victory locations for it to focus on. When the victory location is set far away, the AI has a tendency to look and try different routes.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
On Target Simulations LLC
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Capn D strikes again. How many times have you posted seconds before me.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
On Target Simulations LLC
- CapnDarwin
- Posts: 9782
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm
- Location: Newark, OH
- Contact:
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
[:D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!
Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
Yankee66, can you draw what you want and what they are doing? Another issue I see is no bridges on the map. The AI path may have an issue with the lack of crossing options too. We should be able to figure this out.
Thanks for your reply!
I want them to go the route shown in the screenshot. Passing Bessingen, Bisperode and Hastenbeck, going into Afferde.
After placing a bridge and a 250 Point VL at Bisperode, the enemy force indeed seems to follow the waypoints.
Edit:
---
A part of the enemy force goes the south route, as laid out by the way points. Another part still goes straight down the yellow highway 1, right into Afferde. Without any bridges in their path.
---
Another thing that I find peculiar now, though, is that one of my Tank units started firing far too early for my taste.
The LOS calculation under "Show" -> "LOS Area" seems not logical:

- Attachments
-
- los.jpg (175.68 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
Without actually being able to inspect the map it looks like the spotting unit has elevation and is looking down on the unit and over the trees.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
On Target Simulations LLC
RE: Problem w/ AI waypoints
ORIGINAL: cbelva
Without actually being able to inspect the map it looks like the spotting unit has elevation and is loohing down on the unit and over the trees.
Yeah, that was probably just a brain fart on my end. My brain kept on telling me that "more than two forest hexes adjacent to a 1 point higher elevated hex, breaks the LOS of the elevated unit".
Now I am trying to figure out why it told me this.
Thanks for your help. It made me snap out of that belief-state.


