Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Post Reply
User avatar
gammalget
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by gammalget »

Hi,

I'm back from not playing anything interesting since the beginning of time :)

Well, to the point, I really want to try out something in the Cold War era.
Not too grand strategic, but a little more tactical.

Before I played a lot of CM and PCOWS (beta tester back in the days) :)
But CMx2 felt somewhat to micromanagement'ish for my age :p

What do you guys think, is this game to "grand strategic" for me?

--
Regards Folke

Tazak
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 am

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by Tazak »

I'd say this is a operational level game, units ranging from sections up to Regiments and bridges while the average formation size for NATO is a reinforced battalion and soviets 1 or 2 regiments in battles/campaigns.

Combat is often fast paced and you don't have to worry too much about micromanagement (at least I don't), order your units to move/screen/hold type orders and the 'friendly' AI handles the rest, game covers EW as well as NBC warfare both quite well I think.
Enemy AI is very good, flanking or changing direction if its path is too well blocked/defended.

I'd recommend it
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by wodin »

I'd say Grand Tactical..platoon scale units.
User avatar
budd
Posts: 3160
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Tacoma

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by budd »

I'd say "fun" [:D]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by wodin »

I'd also say buy it..you'll love it.
User avatar
Mad Russian
Posts: 13255
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Texas

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: folke

Before I played a lot of CM and PCOWS (beta tester back in the days) :)
But CMx2 felt somewhat to micromanagement'ish for my age :p

--
Regards Folke

FPC is a step above CMx2. We don't have squads and individual vehicles as a general rule. We don't have micro-managing every unit on the field.

You are the commander of an entire unit. As such you give overall orders and your troops try their best to do what you told them. Good luck with that... [:@]


It seems to have struck that 'just right' balance with a good many gamers. Hopefully it will for you as well.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
User avatar
DoubleDeuce
Posts: 1236
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Crossville, TN
Contact:

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Although not WWII or AIW, it does remind of those board games, at least in scale. I think this game really fills a gaming void, if not in scale, in the era covered.
User avatar
gammalget
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by gammalget »

Thanks for all the tips, I'll clear it with THE Boss then order it asap :)

Sadly to still my hunger of the cold war area, i've played the klick frenzie wargame escalation and air, land battle. Nice gfx, rts klick frenzie with no strategic thinking involved.
Well good rts.

But this feels like the right stuff.
Nice to be back again..

--
Regards Falk
User avatar
CapnDarwin
Posts: 9777
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by CapnDarwin »

Falk,

No clicky RTS fest here. Just hours of pulling your hair out, battle plans going pear shaped, screaming at the monitor, grand tactical WARGAME fun. As an added bonus we have one of the most enthusiastic communities I've seen in a while and if you have questions they can answer as good as we can most of the time.

Welcome aboard!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
User avatar
gammalget
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

RE: Back from the "not playing" since mid 2000's

Post by gammalget »

Boss said ok.
Bought and downloading..

Going to try in wine, then start up GameOS and dig in :)

Thanks for all the info!

--
Regards Falk
Post Reply

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”