How to land helicopters?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Post Reply
Bazza042
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 am

How to land helicopters?

Post by Bazza042 »

How do you land helicopters other than on ships or at air bases?

I am using Operation Paraquet which requires troops to be landed on South Georgia from helicopters.

Really two questions here.

a) What 'mission type' do I use? Ferry? Support?

b) I have chosen a landing zone with a 0% slope, the helicopter is hovering at zero knots at minimum altitude and I can't find anyway to land this sucker. I agree that the troops might rapell but this seems asking a lot - even of COMMAND - and, in any case, they aren't!

I'm sure its covered in the manual but can I find it.......

Would appreciate help before my troops die of starvation or the helicopter runs out of fuel..........

Thanks
User avatar
goodwoodrw
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:19 pm

RE: How to land helicopters?

Post by goodwoodrw »

I don't think so. To drop troops into an area you need to create an event. In a nut shell create a unit you want dropped, place them a safe spot and create teleport event for that when a helicopter enters the DZ, bingo the unit appears where you want.
Formerly Goodwood

Bazza042
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 am

RE: How to land helicopters?

Post by Bazza042 »

Thanks for the response but I assumed that 'teleport' was only used in the editor.

I am trying to play a scenario and can't see any reference to creating an event or
teleport(ing) in any of the 'playing' options.

I really like this game but some of the more obvious requirements, like landing a
helicopter and, indeed, creating escorts for a mission that actually do 'escort' it
seem at the moment to be somewhat obscure.

Thanks again for the response, though.
User avatar
AlGrant
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:38 am

RE: How to land helicopters?

Post by AlGrant »

Hi,

Found this thread whilst searching for how to deploy troops from helicopters and wondering if there is another method other than 'teleporting' option.

Yesterday I was running 'Raven 21 is Down' for the first time and had pretty much taken care of the air/surface/land threat, so sent in the CSAR helo's and also Sea Knights carrying 24x marines.
The helo's all got to the crash sit and landing zone without any incident only for me to find I couldn't actually land the troops! (I didn't know about using teleport at the time).
Very frustrating when that is a mission critical objective.

I was playing another scenario a few days ago where I needed to drop troops from 4x V-22 Ospreys on pre-designated landing zones.
Again I was having some issues with this but after some frantic mouse clicking and a few choice insult to the Osprey pilots they did eventually drop the troops.
Trouble is I can't actually remember how I did it!
I think at some point I may have actually selected a new home base and told them to RTB, but when I tried that again it didn't work!

Is there a better way to actually deploy troops from aircraft ?

ASW helo can be told to 'deploy dipping sonar' so I sort of assumed something similar would be available for troops.

Whilst typing this I'm also wondering if there is a deployment option for other aircraft (think C-130, C-17 or Antonov's) to drop paratroopers or humanitarian aid/supply drops.

Cheers
Al

====== Edit ========
Just found another thread 'Unload troop form a hélicopter' (sorry still can't post links!) which seems to confirm that you need to use Teleport.

Maybe it was scripted in "raid on kismayo 2013" but doesn't seem to happen in 'Raven 21 is down' even after hovering over the landing zone for ages - guess I'm stuck with Teleport [:(].




GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
User avatar
michaelm75au
Posts: 12467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

RE: How to land helicopters?

Post by michaelm75au »

You need to create an event thru the editor to 'land' troops. You can't currently deposit troops on a site from within the game - that is there is no option to unload troops. It has to be done thru a triggered event.
Normal method is to create a 'zone' and have an event triggered when a helo enters that zone. The event 'drops' the troops in the zone.
Michael
Post Reply

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”