Newbie problem: Galician woes

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

swkuh
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:10 pm

RE: Newbie problem: Galician woes

Post by swkuh »

For whatever reasons, have found that displayed CV is only good for approximate evaluations-defense or attack. Accepted here as built in "fog of war" but useful anyway.

Try putting pieces (regiments/divisions) set to "reserve" status behind key hexes you want to best defend or attack from. Game will sometimes activate reserve pieces. Should find "reserves" judiciously used do pay off.
Gabriel B.
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 am

RE: Newbie problem: Galician woes

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: Rokko

I also have great troubles predicting where a breakthrough might occur. For instance, I have a motorized division behind a major river in a level 2 fort with a defensive CV of 12 facing three stacks with an added offensive CV of 4 (at least from what I can tell by what the game shows me), yet on the next turn the Russians attack and said division retreats. Is this displayed CV so unreliable or maybe randomized every turn?

If the admin and combat skill check fail (even a 7 skill leader has 30% chance to fail) further reductions in CV can ocur , albeit les drastic in february .

And if the river is frozen solid , there is no aditional protection.
Gabriel B.
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 am

RE: Newbie problem: Galician woes

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: Rokko

Yeah but not until the end of February right? Thats four more turns where my troops cannot withstand those Soviet 3x3 stacks. I suspect I haven't done it right. I stopped all advance two turns before the mud set in to dig in (unfortunately, my own troops don't dig nearly as fast as the Russians it would seem) and for supply lines to catch up. In the North I did not have any problems, I had lvl 2 forts along the line and one division per hex, with the mechanized forces sitting in larger towns to preserve them. In the center they simply didn't dig quickly enough (six turns and they couldn't get up to lvl 2 forts in some instances). In the southern Center (Ryazan to Belgorod essentially) I managed to dig sufficiently I thought (level 2 - 3 forts), but didn't have enough INF divisions to defend the entire steppe so I tried defending only every second hex and whenever possible in towns to reduce attrition, but once one position got attacked and defeated the other positions around quickly fell aswell.
Should I just accept that and cede ground? But whenever I retreat my troops are out in the open and suffer even heavier from attrition. The first three blizzard turns went pretty well actually, but after that they managed to pierce the line in several spots along the entire front (except for the far up North).

There is no point in taking aditional morale loss in the south , the blizzard is enough as it is .
fall back 2 hexes in december and 1 hex in january, as you get closer to your rails , replacements would compensate for atrition losses.
Rokko
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:46 pm

RE: Newbie problem: Galician woes

Post by Rokko »

I'm now in mid 1943 and almost about to win a decisive victory (I think) within the next months. I just wanted to thank everybody for their patience in explaining some of the game's mechanics to me.

BTW is there a way to load a save file as the opposing side? I'd really like to look at the Soviet situation to see how much they got at different points in the game.
carlkay58
Posts: 8778
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 pm

RE: Newbie problem: Galician woes

Post by carlkay58 »

If you are playing the AI you can change any of the game settings at any time. So at the end of your turn, set the game to Human vs Human before ending your turn. You will then be able to play the other side also and see everything on that side. Very good to see just how your strategies are working and seeing how the AI manages things.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”