third impressions

QVADRIGA is a tactical game of chariot racing in ancient Roman circuses, where you take control of a four horse chariot team.
Post Reply
Javolenus
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 pm

third impressions

Post by Javolenus »

Since purchase I've been playing this game every day. I like the campaign structure. The music is also great. Seems to me this game could be a great educational tool for getting kids interested in Ancient History. Some of the races are very dramatic and, well, awesome.

I like the historical info, although much of the text I've seen (for example, the city info) is ungrammatical. This is a shame. I'd actually like to see more historical/background info, but I'd also like it to be in good English.

Seems to me that, on the race screen, there is a lot of space that could be used for giving info, perhaps as "mouse-over" text? For example, the "crowd" and "spina" are currently static, non-dynamic spaces. I really like the clean look of the game, so I wouldn't want to see it cluttered up. But maybe info could be accessed via "mouse-over" text hidden in the crowd/spina? Hmm, it's just a casual suggestion.

Race replays would be good, as previously mentioned.
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: third impressions

Post by 76mm »

I've been playing every day as well, very addictive.

We really need more info about the aurigas however...I have one that wins almost every race he's in, I think, but I can't be sure because he doesn't have a race history.

Three comments about the epic campaign:
1) frankly I don't notice as big a quality difference as I would expect between the teams in the inferior arena and the level 4-5 arenas. I would think that level 4-5 should be the "big leagues" and that they'd be much more competitive than the Level 1-3.

2) For a victory in the epic campaign, I think you should consider requiring a victory or two in each regional capital, etc. Currently it is too easy to camp in arenas that are easy because they match your team's style. I totally dominate in the long wide Roman-style arenas so have stuck with those, and avoid shorter, narrower, or Greek style tracks.

3) It would be good to have a bit more info about how aurigas receive upgrades. I mentioned before that when I started I had three one-star aurigas. I rotate them evenly, and each of them has 9-10 wins, but one has now become a 2/2, one a 1/1, and one remains a 1/0. Also, I bought a two-star driver and within a few races, with no victories, he had become 2/2. Seems odd...
Frido1207
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:44 am
Location: Lower Saxony, Germany

RE: third impressions

Post by Frido1207 »

re 1) biggest advantage of this is that it prevents players from spamming easy wins with a heavily upgraded team in the minor arenas. However, I agree, that it should be more difficult to win in the level 4+5 arenas.

re 2) totally agree.

re 3) my biggest concern. Just startet a new campaign with 2 0 Star aurigas. One of them received a skill upgrade after his first race, and one constitution upgrade after his 4th race. He never finished better than 2nd place. The other guy won already once, and earned more money, but didn´t received an upgrade.
User avatar
malthaussen
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:08 pm

RE: third impressions

Post by malthaussen »

3) Yes, that is interesting. My team leader has won both races he entered (I've just started), and received no upgrade, but one of his partners got a heart after his first race -- an 8 chariot race in Santonum in which he dogged it the whole time and finished dead last. He did get
bumped by another guy, though.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Manticore8
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 pm

RE: third impressions

Post by Manticore8 »

Driver upgrades are based on a randomly drawn percentage factor, from what I was told. If I remember correctly, the chance for a driver getting an upgrade after his first race was a slim 14% chance, and the chances of an upgrade rises accordingly. Something I don't have a problem with. Chalk early upgrades to your drivers learning more than usual in his early career...he's a natural! For drivers that fail to upgrade in first 5 races or so...well that driver just needs a little more track experience, he'll get there. I had a driver with 12 races under his belt, and he didn't get an upgrade till his 13th race. I considered him just a slow learner. [>:]

I don't think a set formulae for x number of wins or races to equal a for sure upgrade is realistic. I like the random uncertainty of it all really.
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: third impressions

Post by 76mm »

I don't think a set formulae for x number of wins or races to equal a for sure upgrade is realistic. I like the random uncertainty of it all really.
I dont' think anyone is asking for a set number of wins to upgrade, but currently the randomness is extreme. As previously described, I had three 1/0 aurigas from the beginning of a campaign and raced them about equally. Well into the campaign, one auriga was a 2/2, one was a 1/1, and one was still a 1/0. Also, I think that winning/placing should make it more likely to get an upgrade, and I've seen no indication that that's the case.
User avatar
Kipper
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:25 pm

RE: third impressions

Post by Kipper »

I prefer the randomness. If the game becomes to firmly on deterministic rails it will get old much more quickly.
Temple
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:21 pm

RE: third impressions

Post by Temple »

ORIGINAL: Kipper

I prefer the randomness. If the game becomes to firmly on deterministic rails it will get old much more quickly.
Totally agree with Kipper. This shouldn't be chess, there should be risk and reward based on probability, just like the old board game.
Manticore8
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 pm

RE: third impressions

Post by Manticore8 »

ORIGINAL: Manticore8

I had a driver with 12 races under his belt, and he didn't get an upgrade till his 13th race. I considered him just a slow learner.

Talk about slow learners! I shattered my own record for number of races without a driver upgrade. My main driver starting out with with 1 star and 1 heart, raced in ten races in a row before he sat out for two races in a row. He then went back into action for the next seventeen consecutive races without even one promotion and so had raced in 27 races before he got his first upgrade. It's not a complaint, I nursed him to great fame and wealth before he died where he wanted; on the hot sands of the great Circus Maximus! [8D]
Post Reply

Return to “QVADRIGA”