AI?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mac Linehan
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

RE: AI?

Post by Mac Linehan »

Hans, LoBaron -

We are in agreement. I play both H2H solitaire and against the AI.

In December I began Andy Mac's "DBA Iron man Nasty Nasty" as the Allied Player against the Japanese AI. Despite a slow pace (one to four turns a weekend), it has been both a thrill and a challenge - I am loving it.

Am currently on the January 6 1942 turn. Before starting the game, I added numerous ships, and a large amount of aircraft to the Japanese at start pools. So what if the AI takes higher air losses; he has plenty to spare.

I wanted a tough game - and got what I asked for. Andy has added numerous (unpleasant) surprises, and the AI is always unpredictable.

All of the AE variations and Mods are good - each in their own way. I would strongly recommend the Iron Man Nasty Nasty renditions - just Be Ready to be Manly(TM) and endure lots of pain...<grin>.

I would also like to express my gratitude to Moose and several other players who contributed to an earlier thread about how to speed up your game turn turnaround time. I am now averaging two hours as opposed to six to eight - a significant improvement for my style of play.

While I have many excellent games on my computer, and occasionally play them, AE always calls me back for at least a turn a week. AE is second to none in addiction and sheer enjoyment.

Wodin - I do hope that you give it a try; much good information in this thread. These folks know of what they speak. You are a good Man, Sir; come join us - we will be glad to have you on-board.

Resistance is futile...

Mac
LAV-25 2147
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11265
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: AI?

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

I just posted a new enhanced version of the ironman Nasty v jap AI scenario with reworked AI files

Andy
Nice!

Anything for the reciprocal? (allied AI?)
Pax
Czert
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:56 pm

RE: AI?

Post by Czert »

Jup, i will love to see super allied ai too :).
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: AI?

Post by Andy Mac »

Arrrgh its harder to do an enhanced allied AI because it takes so much longer to test the last enhanced version was about as good as I can make it sorry guys
User avatar
HansBolter
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: United States

RE: AI?

Post by HansBolter »

Andy Mac

I owe you an apology.

I told you some time ago I would provide some feedback on your Nasty version of Ironman, but have to confess that I have been so enamored with Babes and stacking limits that I just haven't gotten back to playing a stock game (if Nasty can even be called stock).

The point I was making about the Bettys was just to point out to the poster who thinks the AI is watching for him to stand down his forces before hitting his base that the AI routinely sends unescorted bombers into the teeth of defended bases and is not infallible in this area.

This is actually the first of my many games where I have actually held Wake. I have had the Japanese fail to take it on the first try many times, but this is the first game I have tried exploiting that failure by rushing in reinforcements. I'm not so much trying to break the AI as simply experimenting with an interesting "what if".

VMF 111 now has 4 double aces and one triple ace in May of '42. (it may be VMF 211...not in front of the game right now....Putnam's squadron....the only Marine squadron with F4F3s at the start of the war).

A good script to add would be having the KB come to call if Wake is Allied held beyond a certain date.
Hans

Oldguard1970
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: Hiawassee, GA

RE: AI?

Post by Oldguard1970 »

Hi Wodin,

I, too, speak from experience vs. the Japanese AI.

The AI is an awesome teaching tool. I struggled to learn the game, but the AI patiently taught me many painful lessons until I could finally beat it. Whew! It was still fun to play against the AI, but one had to be careful not to "break" the game by throwing wild curve balls at the AI. I also started adding house rule limitations on my own play.

Then, just as I was getting smug, Andy Mac added more juice to the AI, and the AI earned my renewed respect. One can still flummox the script-following AI, but the tension is good and the joy is real.

PBEM adds a massive increase in tension and fun, but you don't want to go there until you have let the AI help you learn the game.

Like Hans, my time situation prevents me from playing PBEM much. (I only had one game. It lasted years, and we only reached a few months into 1942 before my partner had to drop out. We just couldn't turn the moves quickly enough.) Yet, here I am, still gaining huge enjoyment from the game and continuing to drive down the "cost per gaming hour" metric. :-)

I also tip my hat to the forum for the grand support and to Michaelm who is some sort of gaming/coding saint and who offers a steady set of fixes and improvements.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"
User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: AI?

Post by wdolson »

Even if you set out to try and break the AI by taking advantage of every odd thing the AI does, the Japanese AI will keep a decent Allied player on his toes for at least six game months.

Bill
WIS Development Team
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”