Two Pirate Questions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Post Reply
Ceorl
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Two Pirate Questions

Post by Ceorl »

Not about starting out, but after you've built a Criminal Network and gained control of a planet.

1. How does Pirate Research Potential calculate? It seems to increase exponentially after I gain control of the planet in a way that Standard Empires don't.

2. Do Pirates pay for troop upkeep? I'm not talking about the boarding or pirate base troops but standard, recruitable ground forces. Several years after building a transport with army, I can't find any report that I've had to pay maintenance for the troops.
Aeson
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Aeson »

I am not certain that the answers I'm going to give you are correct. Nevertheless, here we go:
1. How does Pirate Research Potential calculate? It seems to increase exponentially after I gain control of the planet in a way that Standard Empires don't.
I believe pirate research potential is computed in the same way that a standard empire's research potential is - i.e. it's based on population. A standard empire gaining a new colony isn't going to see much growth in its research potential, because you're not really adding much to the empire's total population - your homeworld is likely larger than any independent or newly founded colony you can find, and by the time we're talking about invading the colonies of other worlds even adding a large colony to the empire doesn't really change the total population that much. Pirates, however, start off with an incredibly small population. For them to gain that first colony represents an enormous jump in their population. Moreover, that colony is likely to be relatively small, as it is typically a former independent and was probably a small independent as those are the ones most easily corrupted. Adding a second colony to that continues to represent a significant increase in the total population of the pirate faction (because you're probably looking at roughly doubling the population by taking a second preexisting colony, which is likely similar in total population to the first you took, perhaps even larger).
2. Do Pirates pay for troop upkeep? I'm not talking about the boarding or pirate base troops but standard, recruitable ground forces. Several years after building a transport with army, I can't find any report that I've had to pay maintenance for the troops.
Don't know. Have you checked to see if the 'other' line in the expense report changes when you add troops?
Ceorl
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Ceorl »

1.

These are all the research modifiers that I have as of a convenient autosave comparison: One world under direct control of 2690 million. 2 Pirate Bases, 1 Pirate Fortress, 1 Criminal Network (+300%). Leader High-Tech boost of 10%. Scientist High-Tech boost of 19% (although the leader and scientist I don't believe affect potential). Total Research Potential of 2,400.

For comparison a starting standard empire with a homeworld of 2686 million, no other bonuses, has a Total Research Potential of 405k.

Times that # by 3 and you get 1,200 so where is the extra 1,200 coming from? Controlled, but not owned, planets do not appear to count their population for research so the only other thing I can think of is a hidden modifier.

2.

Yea, that was the first place I checked. I've got a 0 there and I can't remember a time I've ever seen an expense there.

User avatar
Keston
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Keston »

Strange. I see what you mean. Haven't got that far in-game myself. Are there any other pirate assets or modifiers that might explain a 2x difference?
Ceorl
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Ceorl »

I enjoy this game, as my Steam tracked hours will attest too, but isn't exactly the most user friendly interface I've encountered. There are a lot of hidden or obtuse variables and after some digging I might have found one.

Total Research Potential is determined by "the size of your empire's population and its development level". Development level can ONLY be determined by looking at the colony badge graph on the main map (if that sounds confusing its because it is). Development is determined both by population and the luxury resources that colony has access. You want to increase you're research potential? Mine and trade luxuries... I had no idea.

So apparently, again cause I have no actual idea, my freighters begin unloading mined luxuries contained on my star ports to my newly controlled world in contrast to starting standard empires which have no access to luxury resources. This influx raises the colony's development level and increases my research potential. How much does it affect research? Again no idea all I've just learned is that it does which could explain some, or all, of the discrepancy.

As for the no cost troops that seems more and more like a bug and that troop expense should be reported under "other" on the pirate empire tab.
User avatar
Keston
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Keston »

Perhaps the troops are assumed paid by loot, or by the corruption?
Aeson
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Aeson »

Total Research Potential is determined by "the size of your empire's population and its development level". Development level can ONLY be determined by looking at the colony badge graph on the main map (if that sounds confusing its because it is). Development is determined both by population and the luxury resources that colony has access. You want to increase you're research potential? Mine and trade luxuries... I had no idea.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken a given colony's development level is its culture rating (the number by the music note symbol). So it is listed for each colony, it's just named something else and there isn't an 'average empire development' score anywhere convenient.
Ceorl
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Ceorl »

Perhaps the troops are assumed paid by loot, or by the corruption?

You would think that would stated somewhere in the manual or encyclopedia somewhere . . . so I'm falling back on bug. I mean free troops? That just seems buggy although I could be missing something but I don't think so.

Culture Rating, I always wondered what that was supposed to be, thought it had to do with border generation but that the Civ 5 influence talking probably.
Aeson
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 pm

RE: Two Pirate Questions

Post by Aeson »

thought it had to do with border generation
As far as I know, border generation is almost completely dependent on colony population.
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”