Ice bucket challenge

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

adriatomy
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 am

Ice bucket challenge

Post by adriatomy »

HEY friends,, are you ready for ice bucket challenge? who has accepted this challenge and who guys are still thinking of it?? :)
szmike
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Poland

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by szmike »

this

Image
Attachments
icebucket.jpg
icebucket.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 942 times
icebucket.jpg
icebucket.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 942 times
icebucket.jpg
icebucket.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 943 times
User avatar
zakblood
Posts: 22788
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 am

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by zakblood »

must admit, i'm not a sheep either and follow mad fad crazes, just because everyone else is or isn't doing it, those that want to, fine, others that don't want to, also fine in my eyes...

charity also starts at home, and you shouldn't have it stuffed down your throat every time you go anywhere and made to feel wrong by not doing it, it's a choice, or should be and always was in my book...

i also agree with above, the private part anyway, those that do something only for the publicity need to get a different job or a life...

sorry no, don't do it, won't do it, didn't take or get a challenge either[:-]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 26300) (26100.ge_release.240331-1435) 26H2 26300.9550
Aurelian
Posts: 4090
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by Aurelian »

Building a new PC.
User avatar
Hertston
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:45 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by Hertston »

Nope. Respect for whoever came up with this as it's obviously going to provide a big boost for ALS research, but I make a point of donating what I can to a couple of favoured charities through payroll giving which adds back any tax deducted to the donations. The only exceptions I make are for particular disasters or other instances where there is massive human suffering that might well be relieved to some extent by money received quickly. And when the guy or gal holding the tin has a cute puppy... [8|]
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by Zap »

no
adriatomy
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 am

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by adriatomy »

nice [:)]
User avatar
TulliusDetritus
Posts: 5581
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
Location: The Zone™

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by TulliusDetritus »

NO

... I only donate to trustworthy Nigerian princes [:'(]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
User avatar
Orm
Posts: 33487
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Sweden

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by Orm »

I am not good at speaking about charities and such. And I am even worse writing about it. But I am glad that there are people out there who do as much as they can. Today I had the opportunity to give a little to a organization that I have confidence in. If it is misplaced I am sure that you guys will tell me about it.

I hope that I do not violate forum rules to link to their site.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Regarding the ice thingy I do not understand how pouring ice water on my head will help anyone. I do get the commercial value of celebrities doing so but on my head... please.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by MrRoadrunner »

The ice numbs the body and gives you a few seconds of feeling what an ALS patient suffers with from every second.

Shame that there are those that attack a simple gimmick. As long as donations are given?
The challenge is to either donate or have the ice water poured on you. Most that I know who have taken the challenge have the water and still donate.

Sadly, I must admit that I would not donate to doctors without borders. But, it is my personal choice and I do not ask others not to, or call it silly.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
JWW
Posts: 1694
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana, USA

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by JWW »

What Hertston said. My wife and I donate to four specific charities regularly. We donate to no other charities except in special circumstances, like disasters. We get regular requests to donate to other charities that we decline. I have been given the ice bucket challenge by three different people and have declined, pointing out my policy on charitable giving. I think ALS is worthy and the ice bucket gimmick is interesting. But I think it is no more worthy than other charities I decline.
User avatar
bairdlander2
Posts: 2391
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Toronto Ontario but living in Edmonton,Alberta

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by bairdlander2 »

better challenge for today's youth

Image
Attachments
1453312_56..085969_n.jpg
1453312_56..085969_n.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 942 times
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by rhondabrwn »

I'm with you... Doctors Without Borders gets my contributions. They do good work and only about 8% goes for administration and fund raising. With ALS it's 27%... better than a lot of them, I'll admit, but not in the same class.

If there is a disaster in the world, you ALWAYS see Doctor's Without Borders on the scene. Right now they are fighting Ebola and that is one high risk endeavor :(

Like everything else, you can find some skeptics out there who are critical of their operation, but I'm satisfied that they are a organization to support.

I have also been known to support the Red Cross and CARE.
ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not good at speaking about charities and such. And I am even worse writing about it. But I am glad that there are people out there who do as much as they can. Today I had the opportunity to give a little to a organization that I have confidence in. If it is misplaced I am sure that you guys will tell me about it.

I hope that I do not violate forum rules to link to their site.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Regarding the ice thingy I do not understand how pouring ice water on my head will help anyone. I do get the commercial value of celebrities doing so but on my head... please.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
parusski
Posts: 4789
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Jackson Tn
Contact:

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: szmike

this

Image

I hold with this philosophy.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
User avatar
reg113
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:42 pm
Location: MS, USA

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by reg113 »

+1
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
adriatomy
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 am

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by adriatomy »

thanks to answer all of u :)
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I'm with you... Doctors Without Borders gets my contributions. They do good work and only about 8% goes for administration and fund raising. With ALS it's 27%... better than a lot of them, I'll admit, but not in the same class.

If there is a disaster in the world, you ALWAYS see Doctor's Without Borders on the scene. Right now they are fighting Ebola and that is one high risk endeavor :(

Like everything else, you can find some skeptics out there who are critical of their operation, but I'm satisfied that they are a organization to support.

I have also been known to support the Red Cross and CARE.
ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not good at speaking about charities and such. And I am even worse writing about it. But I am glad that there are people out there who do as much as they can. Today I had the opportunity to give a little to a organization that I have confidence in. If it is misplaced I am sure that you guys will tell me about it.

I hope that I do not violate forum rules to link to their site.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Regarding the ice thingy I do not understand how pouring ice water on my head will help anyone. I do get the commercial value of celebrities doing so but on my head... please.

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS!!!

[&o]
[&o] [&o]
[&o] [&o] [&o]
[&o] [&o] [&o] [&o]

I notice them on the cutting edge of fighting the ebola outbreak as well as helping the victims. Some of those doctors have DIED in the process I believe, haven't they? I wish I had money right now to donate. Are there other ways to help Doctors Without Borders for those of us who are currently not making an income? Do you know Rhonda? I give them all my blessing in the world but my blessings plus 25 cents aren't even worth a cup of coffee. [:(]
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not good at speaking about charities and such. And I am even worse writing about it. But I am glad that there are people out there who do as much as they can. Today I had the opportunity to give a little to a organization that I have confidence in. If it is misplaced I am sure that you guys will tell me about it.

I hope that I do not violate forum rules to link to their site.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

+ 110!!
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Ice bucket challenge

Post by rhondabrwn »

I can't afford large donations, but I find sending them $20 every few months doesn't break the budget.

One thing you can always do, is to speak well of them and encourage others to support them even if your own funds are limited.

And, despite the cute picture posted earlier, I don't think it is a bad thing to let people know about worthy causes you support. I think we can all recognize when someone is playing "the look how good I am... I gave $$$$$ card" :P
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I'm with you... Doctors Without Borders gets my contributions. They do good work and only about 8% goes for administration and fund raising. With ALS it's 27%... better than a lot of them, I'll admit, but not in the same class.

If there is a disaster in the world, you ALWAYS see Doctor's Without Borders on the scene. Right now they are fighting Ebola and that is one high risk endeavor :(

Like everything else, you can find some skeptics out there who are critical of their operation, but I'm satisfied that they are a organization to support.

I have also been known to support the Red Cross and CARE.
ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not good at speaking about charities and such. And I am even worse writing about it. But I am glad that there are people out there who do as much as they can. Today I had the opportunity to give a little to a organization that I have confidence in. If it is misplaced I am sure that you guys will tell me about it.

I hope that I do not violate forum rules to link to their site.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Regarding the ice thingy I do not understand how pouring ice water on my head will help anyone. I do get the commercial value of celebrities doing so but on my head... please.

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS!!!

[&o]
[&o] [&o]
[&o] [&o] [&o]
[&o] [&o] [&o] [&o]

I notice them on the cutting edge of fighting the ebola outbreak as well as helping the victims. Some of those doctors have DIED in the process I believe, haven't they? I wish I had money right now to donate. Are there other ways to help Doctors Without Borders for those of us who are currently not making an income? Do you know Rhonda? I give them all my blessing in the world but my blessings plus 25 cents aren't even worth a cup of coffee. [:(]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

CHEERS TO MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES

Post by GaryChildress »

Thank you Rhonda! [&o]

I just committed to $10/month to Doctors Without Borders. I don't care what forum policy may be regarding advertising in this momentary instance because I feel like the richest man alive just for being able to help those people who have DIED fighting ebola. Doctors and medical workers from their teams have DIED in this outbreak. I don't care if they take my money and go out and use it to buy a case of whiskey! THEY DESERVE A MILLION CASES OF ANYTHING THEY WANT FOR WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!!

DRINKS ARE ON ME MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES!!!

[&o]
[&o] [&o]
[&o] [&o] [&o]
[&o] [&o] [&o] [&o]

EDIT: Here's the link again for donating for anyone interested: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/?ref=donate-header
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”