Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

That is a big investment in the Peggy T! I am not so sure I agree with it...as you have to wait to get the Peggy T to actually start training torpedo skills up, and for the end game I am not sure that Torpedo planes are the way to go...

Will be interesting to see how it works out for you.

It's actually two investments in one. The Peggy T upgrades to the Peggy Ib, so once the Peggy T arrives I'll flick two factories towards working on the Peggy Ib for pure ground bombing use.

Looking at the late-war IJA bombers, there's a real need for a good anti-shipping platform : the Helen makes a good anti-shipping bomber in a pinch, but level-bombing with 250kg bombs will never be accurate, except against the slowest of targets. The Lily dive-bomber has the accuracy, but 100kg bombs won't sink anything bigger than a destroyer.

The Peggy T seems the best choice for the IJA. Looking at it's statistics, it's slightly better than the Frances, but miles better in terms of all the other IJA planes.

As the war progresses, losses to torpedo planes and pilots will soar. Without the Peggy T, the IJN has to absorb all the losses of airframes and pilots - all the NavT pilots have to be trained by the IJN, and production of the Nell/Betty/Frances has to keep up with losses.

With the Peggy T, the IJA can convert large numbers of it's level-bombing squadrons towards training NavT pilots and once the first batch of NavT pilots are trained, it can take take over a large share of the anti-shipping burden and in training up NavT pilots.

Essentially, I intend to use the Peggy T to allow me to pull IJN torpedo bomber units off the frontline and in to training duties in order to build a comfortable stockpile of pilots and airframes for later in the war.

It's better in my mind to spread the inevitable losses of torpedo bomber pilots over the two services than have the IJN suffer the slaughter alone.

In that respect, the Peggy T is one of the most essential late-war planes. It may not have the "cool" factor of jets or experimental planes, but I think it's vital none-the-less.

If you think I'm wrong, though, feel free to say why!
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by Lowpe »

You have well thought out reasons. My simple thought was you need to add 3 months training time to get sufficient number of pilots trained up. When do you think the Peggy T will be available?




mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You have well thought out reasons. My simple thought was you need to add 3 months training time to get sufficient number of pilots trained up. When do you think the Peggy T will be available?

I've two factories sitting at 15(15), and the other two have only repaired one or two points. We'll also have the engine bonus in a few days.

I don't know the mathematics of the R&D mini-game to comment with any real authority, but I'd guess 6/44.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Is your PI assumption he will come overland from the south? Is your assumption that Formosa LBA will keep him from coming over the top?

Why is Batan I. Allied right now?
The Moose
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
Why is Batan I. Allied right now?

I saw that too and thought SST.
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Is your PI assumption he will come overland from the south? Is your assumption that Formosa LBA will keep him from coming over the top?

Yes.

I'm not sure how solid an assumption it is. I'm hoping to have Okinawa as well as Formosa as formidable bastions when the PI starts to become threatened. I will develop some of the islands north of Luzon (just to make it that bit less attractive) and keep Aparri well fortified.

The purpose is two-fold: keep the lines of communication open between Formosa and Luzon as well as to make any attempt to "Anzio" the Philippines involve sailing right into the jaws of the beast.

Worst case scenario: the Allies force a landing at Aparri, then I'll do a MacArthur - retreat to the Bataan/Clark/Manila triangle, dig in and hold out as long as possible.
Why is Batan I. Allied right now?

[:)]

Kamikazie activation on 1st January, 1944.

I've even started building pools of LowNav pilots for both the IJA and the IJN.
ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
Why is Batan I. Allied right now?

I saw that too and thought SST.

I hadn't considered that he might have moved something in to the base. I'll have a recon unit scope it out.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Is your PI assumption he will come overland from the south? Is your assumption that Formosa LBA will keep him from coming over the top?

Yes.

I'm not sure how solid an assumption it is. I'm hoping to have Okinawa as well as Formosa as formidable bastions when the PI starts to become threatened. I will develop some of the islands north of Luzon (just to make it that bit less attractive) and keep Aparri well fortified.

The purpose is two-fold: keep the lines of communication open between Formosa and Luzon as well as to make any attempt to "Anzio" the Philippines involve sailing right into the jaws of the beast.

Worst case scenario: the Allies force a landing at Aparri, then I'll do a MacArthur - retreat to the Bataan/Clark/Manila triangle, dig in and hold out as long as possible.

If it was me I'd come from the south as I probably wouldn't know you had Forts 9 on your stop line. Those can be dealt with in that era of Shermans and lavish combat engineers, but slowly and expensively.

The north route might not be as expensive to him as you hope given lots and lots of CVEs available, and 1-day unloads from real amphibs. That route doesn't have the bottleneck the south does as he moves on Clark and Manila, but the landing base would be under continuous air threat until the P-47s and Corsairs got ashore. Some could be flown in off transport CVEs of course, so pretty quickly.

As is the case everywhere in late 1944 onward it's not a matter of stopping him. If he wants Manila's yard he will have it. It's a matter of the time.
The Moose
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Is your PI assumption he will come overland from the south? Is your assumption that Formosa LBA will keep him from coming over the top?

Yes.

I'm not sure how solid an assumption it is. I'm hoping to have Okinawa as well as Formosa as formidable bastions when the PI starts to become threatened. I will develop some of the islands north of Luzon (just to make it that bit less attractive) and keep Aparri well fortified.

The purpose is two-fold: keep the lines of communication open between Formosa and Luzon as well as to make any attempt to "Anzio" the Philippines involve sailing right into the jaws of the beast.

Worst case scenario: the Allies force a landing at Aparri, then I'll do a MacArthur - retreat to the Bataan/Clark/Manila triangle, dig in and hold out as long as possible.

If it was me I'd come from the south as I probably wouldn't know you had Forts 9 on your stop line. Those can be dealt with in that era of Shermans and lavish combat engineers, but slowly and expensively.

I'll settle for slowly and expensively. As you said, Manila is a hex made of gold for the Allies in the late war, so I want the blood price in battered Allied divisions.
The north route might not be as expensive to him as you hope given lots and lots of CVEs available, and 1-day unloads from real amphibs. That route doesn't have the bottleneck the south does as he moves on Clark and Manila, but the landing base would be under continuous air threat until the P-47s and Corsairs got ashore. Some could be flown in off transport CVEs of course, so pretty quickly.

I think the best solution to make the northern route risky is to try to have a IJN presence based out of Formosa comprising whatever ships I've not gotten sunk defending the Marianas. That way, if the Allies do decide to throw themselves into harms way, they'll be faced with aircraft based on Luzon and on Formosa, as well as at least some naval threat.

Not that I expect another Tsushima in the Luzon Strait: the IJN has to fight a do-or-die battle for the Marianas, while the IJA has to fight a giant delaying action on Luzon, Formosa, the Bonins and on Okinawa.
As is the case everywhere in late 1944 onward it's not a matter of stopping him. If he wants Manila's yard he will have it. It's a matter of the time.

That's the crux of it. Already Lokasenna is behind the historic schedual. I've got to keep him there so that the units I need to mount a defence can arrive, be deployed to the frontline and get a little training done. As it stands, I've 200 days to go before the IJA reinforcements start to turn from a trickle into a flood.

At present, the first two layers of my defences are well manned, but there's a virtual vacuum from the Marianas to the Bonins. After 200 days, that empty space will start getting filled with arriving units and his job will become that little bit harder.
User avatar
Mike McCreery
Posts: 4362
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by Mike McCreery »

Hey Mind Messing,

Thanks for the AAR. There is a common mistake that players make however. I read the whole page and still cannot figure out what year you are playing in. I can make deductions but without it being spelled out in a few posts along the way it makes it very difficult for me to understand exactly where you are at.

I am sure dedicated readers do not have this issue but for those of us who are following 10 or more AAR's it would be helpful to include the year once in a while.

Thanks!!
Image
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Hey Mind Messing,

Thanks for the AAR. There is a common mistake that players make however. I read the whole page and still cannot figure out what year you are playing in. I can make deductions but without it being spelled out in a few posts along the way it makes it very difficult for me to understand exactly where you are at.

I am sure dedicated readers do not have this issue but for those of us who are following 10 or more AAR's it would be helpful to include the year once in a while.

Thanks!!

Whops, what an oversight, I'll amend that right away.
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: In the absence of orders...

Post by mind_messing »

To the Victor, the Spoils

Chungking fell in mid-October of 1942. Though combat carried on in China for a few more months, effective resistence was over. The Chinese promptly evacuated to Burma, where they're currently building up strength for an eventual campaign to re-take their homeland.

A complete Japanese occupation of China has been a massive boost. China produces 4.6k supply per day, a 10k resource surplus for shipment to the Home Islands and 1.2k oil surplus that covers the deficit of oil in Manchuria and still leaves a 500 oil/day surplus for shipment to Japan.

With the fighting for China over, there's also been a massive number of Japanese units freed up for deployment elsewhere. The vast bulk are presently in Burma, and I won't bother to list them. The important units are those that have been freed up for deployment to the Pacific.

A total of six divisions have been bought out from China and sent overseas, as have five Ind. Mixed Brigades (one that becomes a division in two months). Three of those divisions are crack (90 EXP plus!) and the remaining three are in the 60-70 EXP range. All of these divisions are being deployed to defend invaluable Japanese bases (Marianas and Sumatra, one division to the Kuriles)

The five Ind. Mixed Brigades are 55 EXP units that have been freed up from garrison duty by smaller units, and all five have been deployed to the first line of defence in the Pacific (South-West and Central Pacific).

On top of that, all future reinforcements in China are in excess of requirements, so I'll be able to further optimize garrisons to ensure that the best units are bought out for use elsewhere. Already, I've another strong division destined for Saipan sitting in Shanghai waiting for weaker units to replace it.

I've been able to free up 3.5k AV from China. If China wasn't completely secure, there's no way I'd have been able to remove so many troops.

On top of that, a quick glance over the reinforcement que suggests that there's about another 4k AV due to arrive over the duration of the game that can be bought out and redeployed as needed.
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

99 Luftballoons...

Post by mind_messing »

March 3rd to March 20th, 1943

This game continues to be long periods of little (if any) action, with short, sharp engagements breaking up the lulls.

North Pacific

Quiet, as is the norm. The Allies are quite active in the Western Aleutians - rarely a turn goes by without what seems to be Allied Cargo TF's being spotted at Attu and Shemya. Shemya Island, as a size 7 AF, is causing me some worries. I've a strong air presence in the Kuriles, as well as Hokkiado, so there's nothing to worry about until the B-29 starts to make an appearence. This will change if the Allies make a bid to gain a foothold in the Kuriles.

The 26th Division has made the journey from China without event, and it is unloading at Paramushiro-jima, while the first elements of the 20th Division from Korea are off-loading at Onnekotan-jima. This will free up a regiment from Paramushiro, which is destined for Shimushiri-jima.

In turn, this will free up some of the 42 AV Ind. Infantry Bn's, which I'm sending to atolls with 6k stacking limits that are likely to be attacked, namely Eniwetok and Marcus Island.

On the naval side, I'm forming a small destroyer force to be based out of Etorofu to supliment the Yamato's operating out of Ominato. A big shipment of fuel, and some tenders are en-route to Etorofu to turn it into a forward base for operations in the Kuriles.

In the air, virtually every aircraft that isn't searching for Allied ships is training.

Central Pacific

On March 18th, USMC paratroopers drop onto Arorae, destroying the half-dozen IJA paratrooper squads that represented the token garrison of that island. The Allies don't have a base close enough to provide CAP, so IJA bombers will blast the marines off the island and IJA paratroopers will drop to re-take the base.

In the event that this is the prelude to a bigger Allied move on the region, all Japanese bases in the Gilberts and Marshalls are on full alert.

South-West Pacific

Ndeni

In one of the most embarrassing incidents of the war so far, IJA bombers sortie against Ndeni based upon reports of Allied carriers in the port. As it turns out, the "carriers" are YP's that some useless IJN recon hacks had confused for carriers. I lose 50 odd bombers in return for sinking a single YP.

Needless to say, heads rolled. Thankfully, those responsible for the raid (ie, me) were able to deflect the blame to subordinates.

Horn Island

The Allies at length take Horn Island by fast transport TF, droping a Marine Defense Bn and a Base Force and flying more troops in. I respond with a air campaign to sweep the defending fighters from the sky and keep the airbase shut in the hope of repeating my previous recapture of Horn Island by bombing the defenders off of it.

After some good success, the Allies promptly unleased the 4E deathstar at my bases on New Guinea.

New Guinea

The Allied 4E deathstar makes two excellent strikes against Japanese positions in March. The first strike falls on Hansa Bay, where sixty or so IJA bombers were caught on the airbase without fighter cover in preparation for rotating into combat. While a costly raid in terms of airframes (40 odd destroyed), the main loss was to Helen units, of which I've ample stockpiles. It could have been worse, with there being over 200 IJA bombers deployed at Hansa Bay the day before the raid.

The second strike fell on Milne Bay, lasting for two days. On March 16th, P-38's smash the Japanese CAP of A6M5's and Ki-44's, leaving the skies clear for the Allied bombers and shutting down the airbase. The follow-up raid consisted of just Allied bombers, and again gave the base a good plastering.

Thankfully, unlike Hansa Bay, Milne Bay had some barrage balloons up and I get to enjoy the sight of Allied bombers flying at 2000ft taking damage to them on the first day, and then again the next day, flying at 6000ft.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 16, 43


...
A bunch of P-38 sweeps, too many to show. In short, we lost at about 2.5 to 1.
...
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 21
B-17F Fortress x 10
B-24D Liberator x 9
B-25C Mitchell x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 8 damaged
B-17F Fortress: 2 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 24
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 51

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x B-25C Mitchell bombing from 2000 feet Watch the balloons!
Airfield Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
10 x B-17F Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
12 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
251 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 38000 , scrambling fighters between 40000 and 43000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 40 minutes



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8
B-24D Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 4 damaged

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 21

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
6 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
251 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 38000 , scrambling fighters between 1000 and 33570.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
251 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 38000 , scrambling fighters to 2000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed by flak

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 13

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
251 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 38000 , scrambling fighters to 2000.
Raid is overhead



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 4 damaged

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
251 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 38000 , scrambling fighters to 2000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 2 damaged

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 2000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb


AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 17, 43

...
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 46 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6
B-24D Liberator x 19
B-25C Mitchell x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed by flak
B-24D Liberator: 6 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 34

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x B-25C Mitchell bombing from 6000 feet Still not high enough!
Airfield Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
11 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
5 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 65 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 10
B-24D Liberator x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
10 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 72 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17F Fortress x 6
B-24D Liberator x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17F Fortress: 1 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 11

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
6 x B-17F Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 5 damaged

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
7 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb


The raids on Hansa took the wind right out of the sails of my air offensive against Horn Island, leaving me with only a few IJA bomber squadrons and forcing me to go on the defensive. With the large numbers of Allied 4E's damaged thanks to balloons, I've been granted a few days breathing space, which I'm using to try to get in some offensive sweeps against Horn Island - bombing raids are probably out of the question now, as the Allies likely have some AA guns in place.

I'm also doing my best to ensure that all my major airbases fufill the rule for barrage balloons. Balloons, combined with the TOE upgrade of IJN Airbase units in 90 days that adds 25mm guns should spell the end of the 2000ft 4E raid. They'll still come, but it will be higher and they'll be less accurate. With some well-armed fighters opposing them, I can hope to limit the 4E threat.

Given the recent interest the Allies have shown in Milne Bay, I'm considering moving one of the "good" IJN Base Forces (with some 12cm DP guns) to Milne Bay. As it stands, I've already got some regular AA units headed here from Korea. I'll see how the rest of March develops before making a decision, as I'd like to save all of the "good" IJN Base Forces for the Marianas.

[center]Image
The situation in the Torres Straits. The Allied TF's are small warships, APD's and mine-sweepers - not work the loss of aircraft.[/center]

DEI

With the Torres Straits now opened, the DEI is again an active theater. So far, the only Allies moves in the region has been a couple of bomber raids against Merauke, which is held by an SNLF and a third of a Naval Guard unit.

Merauke is little more than a speed-bump: the first line of resistance will be Taberfane and Saumlaki. Saumlaki currently has a regiment of the 30th Division defending it, and the remainder of the division is due to arrive in Korea within 90 days. Taberfane will have a Ind. Mixed Brigade from China defending it by the end of March.

The capture of Horn Island also brings Babo and Boela into range of Allied bombers. While fairly small oil centers, both bases are worth defending for their location alone. Boela is a size 6 airbase, while Babo is only a size 2. The defences are being bulked up, with a Base Force from Singapore headed for Boela and some fighters and aviation support scrapped up for deployment to Babo and the surrounding bases.

China-Burma-India

China

The Hong Kong Base Force will move to Singapore to replace the Base Force being sent to the DEI. Here's hoping that one causes a few SigInt head-aches.

Fuel supplies in China and parts of Manchuria run low, causing some HI to shut down. Despite watching the totals pretty carefully on Tracker, there's about 12k of fuel in Urumchi that refuses to go anywhere, inflating the total fuel in China. I've got several big "innoculation shots" of fuel en-route to both China and Manchuria, as well as Korea, to ensure that there's enough fuel to go around.

The problem doesn't seem to be that there's not enough fuel (there's two months production still within China), but that the fuel isn't being distributed properly. Hence why I'm sending several convoys to several ports on the mainland - to ensure a fairly even distribution of fuel.

Resource convoys from Shanghai are being stopped as well, both as a fuel saving measure, but also to encourage resource flow to Fusan. Port Arthur has already been shut down in favour of Fusan.

Burma

Nothing happening here.

The only item of note is the huge demand for supplies caused by so many IJA units in Burma is causing. The supplies produced at Palambang are already being convoyed to Burma to keep up with demand, and 45k's worth of supply is headed to Burma from the Home Islands to build up a stockpile here.

[center]Image
The B-17's, joined by B-24's and other Allied bombers, have made good work of trashing Japanese airbases over the last few weeks.[/center]
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I think Urumchi being constipated is true in all games I've read. It's a long way to flow on yellow roads in any case.

I heard about the balloons earlier today. [:)]
The Moose
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I think Urumchi being constipated is true in all games I've read. It's a long way to flow on yellow roads in any case.

I heard about the balloons earlier today. [:)]

I'm going to go into Tracker and set Urumchi to a region other than China - it severely inflates the totals for China.

Regarding balloons, I sent Lokaseena this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPTC7-wCL8

User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing



Regarding balloons, I sent Lokaseena this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPTC7-wCL8


I was personally involved with nuclear war at the time of this hit. I don't think he was born. Or you either? [:)]
The Moose
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: mind_messing



Regarding balloons, I sent Lokaseena this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPTC7-wCL8


I was personally involved with nuclear war at the time of this hit. I don't think he was born. Or you either? [:)]

Hell, the Soviet Union was long gone before I was even born!

Nothing like impending nuclear war to encourage artistic creativity.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: mind_messing



Regarding balloons, I sent Lokaseena this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPTC7-wCL8


I was personally involved with nuclear war at the time of this hit. I don't think he was born. Or you either? [:)]

Hell, the Soviet Union was long gone before I was even born!

Nothing like impending nuclear war to encourage artistic creativity.

A lot of people over here never heard the English translation. They thought it was a nice song about kids' balloons. [:)] She did rock those black leather pants though.

Another song from the 80s---Top 100 here--was Modern English's "I Melt With You". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls

(The first buck-three-ninety-five video in history. Seriously, somebody's mom's basement.)

It was used as the core of "Valley Girl", Nicolas Cage's first starring role. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xdpFvThs (Many other great tunes from the era.)

I saw a VH1 "Top-100 Songs of the 80s" show where they interviewed Modern English a few years back and they confirmed that song was also about nuclear war. The title was not supposed to be imagery. Yes, actual melting.
The Moose
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58




I was personally involved with nuclear war at the time of this hit. I don't think he was born. Or you either? [:)]

Hell, the Soviet Union was long gone before I was even born!

Nothing like impending nuclear war to encourage artistic creativity.
A lot of people over here never heard the English translation. They thought it was a nice song about kids' balloons. She did rock those black leather pants though.

Yes, even if she did forget her words half-way through the music video...
Another song from the 80s---Top 100 here--was Modern English's "I Melt With You". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls

(The first buck-three-ninety-five video in history. Seriously, somebody's mom's basement.)

It was used as the core of "Valley Girl", Nicolas Cage's first starring role. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xdpFvThs (Many other great tunes from the era.)

You're starting to show your age now...

Also, Nick Cage...
I saw a VH1 "Top-100 Songs of the 80s" show where they interviewed Modern English a few years back and they confirmed that song was also about nuclear war. The title was not supposed to be imagery. Yes, actual melting.

I think we've a somewhat darker cultural view of the whole Cold War than is found over in America. A good illustration of this is the BBC production "The War Game", which pulled no punches (in the mid-60's, no less) and inspired the American version "The Day After" and the later BBC production "Threads".

"The Day After" doesn't pull any punches, but it's easy going when compared with "Threads"!
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: 99 Luftballoons...

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: mind_messing




Hell, the Soviet Union was long gone before I was even born!

Nothing like impending nuclear war to encourage artistic creativity.
A lot of people over here never heard the English translation. They thought it was a nice song about kids' balloons. She did rock those black leather pants though.

Yes, even if she did forget her words half-way through the music video...

Who cares? [:)] I think that video was shot on a German training base.
Another song from the 80s---Top 100 here--was Modern English's "I Melt With You". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls

(The first buck-three-ninety-five video in history. Seriously, somebody's mom's basement.)

It was used as the core of "Valley Girl", Nicolas Cage's first starring role. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xdpFvThs (Many other great tunes from the era.)

You're starting to show your age now...

Deb Foreman has to be in the top-5 cutest girls (not women) ever in a movie. Her career never took off, sadly. Although she does have maybe the sexiest line of the 80s in the movie "Real Genius", delivered to Val Kilmer. Great movie.

Cage was told to shave his ample chest hair for "Valley Girl". It was low-budget. (I have the DVD with commentaries.) He shaved a really weird "V" shape, and that's what they shot in the beach scenes. It's just a true 80s time capsule if you've never seen it. Every scene is a gem. Might be it resonates more with me as those were my hot 20s. [:'(]


Also, Nick Cage...

Yep. He changed from his real last name so he wouldn't get any special treatment.
I saw a VH1 "Top-100 Songs of the 80s" show where they interviewed Modern English a few years back and they confirmed that song was also about nuclear war. The title was not supposed to be imagery. Yes, actual melting.

I think we've a somewhat darker cultural view of the whole Cold War than is found over in America. A good illustration of this is the BBC production "The War Game", which pulled no punches (in the mid-60's, no less) and inspired the American version "The Day After" and the later BBC production "Threads".

"The Day After" got me laid. A not-so-long story.

"The Day After" doesn't pull any punches, but it's easy going when compared with "Threads"!

I saw "Threads." Lower budget I think, a lot of ash falling onto villages. I don't recall much more. Oh, everybody dies.
The Moose
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: The Great Milne Bay Swim

Post by mind_messing »

March 21st to March 31st, 1943

North Pacific

The only news is no news up here.

My troop movements went off without a hitch. The 26th Division is now lounging around on Paramushrio-jima.

The next move up here is to form the 20th Division. Currently, one brigade is on Onnekotan-jima, and the rest is sitting in Korea waiting for shipment out.

It's probably a mistake to be reinforcing the Kuriles when Allied attention is firmly focused elsewhere, but it's no good having an alarm on the front door if the back door is wide open. The 20th Division will be the last major reinforcements for quite some time however; there's more than enough there at present and there's a bigger demand elsewhere.

Central Pacific

After some bombing, IJA paratroopers drop on Arorae, only to find that the Marine's have been evacuated. I had LRCAP over the base which reported no interceptions, so may have been a sub invasion.

South-West Pacific


After disapointing results in the air war in this sector, I replace the commander of the Air HQ at Buna with Obata Hideyoshi, who promptly gets the Japanese pilots at Buna worked right up to go back on the offensive over Horn Island.
on March 26th.

The results speak for themselves:

Morning Air attack on Horn Island , at 91,128

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 47 NM, estimated altitude 42,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 38

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 16
Spitfire Vc Trop x 32
P-40E Warhawk x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Ic: 3 destroyed
Spitfire Vc Trop: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Horn Island , at 91,128

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 44,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 36

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 11
Spitfire Vc Trop x 23
P-40E Warhawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Ic: 1 destroyed
Spitfire Vc Trop: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed


Aircraft Attacking:
3 x A6M5 Zero sweeping at 38000 feet
Morning Air attack on Horn Island , at 91,128

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 31 NM, estimated altitude 44,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 7

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Spitfire Vc Trop x 14
P-40E Warhawk x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Horn Island , at 91,128

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 41,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Spitfire Vc Trop x 10
P-40E Warhawk x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Horn Island , at 91,128

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 41

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Spitfire Vc Trop x 10
P-40E Warhawk x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufighter Ic: 1 destroyed
Spitfire Vc Trop: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed


Aircraft Attacking:
35 x Ki-43-IIb Oscar sweeping at 20000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Horn Island , at 91,128

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 42,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 22

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed


I was quite suprised to see the Spitfires perform so poorly. However, all the Allied planes were staggered between 6000ft and 19000ft, while the Zero's flew at 38,000ft with the Oscars sweeping at 20,000ft.

The Allies mounted an air offensive of their own against Milne Bay, with the usual P-38 sweeps, but I'm leaving that airbase empty bar some Jake's on naval search.

The Allies get their vengence on March 31st, however, with night-time 4E raids over Lunga and Buna. Both these bases have barrage balloons up, so the Allied bombers were forced to operate from 7000ft. Despite only 14% moonlight, they destroyed 37 Japanese airframes on the ground and close Lunga airbase for the loss of three planes to flak or OPS.

Even combining all the tools possible to fight 4E's at night makes no difference. I've fighters on night CAP, flak and balloons, and they made no impact. Needless to say I got a good rant emailed off to Lokasenna. My only hope is that the dedicated night fighters are miles better than normal fighters on night CAP.

I get an interesting tibit of SigInt information on the 31st as well. Two "Heavy transmissions" at Sydney show CV's, crusiers and over 100 ships in port. He's probably upgrading his CV's, and he'll have his new APA's upgraded, so I'll need to keep a watch on both sides of Oz for developments.

There's a big batch of April upgrades for the IJN, including most of the fleet carriers getting much needed radar. I'm going to send them back to Yokohama for the upgrades and run the risk of them being absent in the event of any Allied moves in the region.

Various merchantment fall victim to subs, but the only real casualty is the light crusier Oyodo, which takes a single torpedo dealing system and flotation damage in the 20's. It's headed back to Yokohama for repairs at a healthy 26 knots.

DEI

The only action here is a cat-and-mouse game between IJN paratroopers and Austrailian troops being played out in Gulf of Carpentaria. The Japanese troops land by flying boat, take the base, and fly away. The Austrailians land by barge, retake the base, then sail away.

I'm going to send a few expendable PB's into the Gulf, just to see if I can catch anything.

China-Burma-India

All is calm here.

The supply situation in Burma seems to be improving some. To help matters out, I'm keeping the bulk of my troops in Rangoon, so that there's less stress on the supply networks in Central and Upper Burma.

[center]Image
Even at night, in low moonlight and at 7000ft, the Allied heavy bombers are proving to have a formidable punch.[/center]

Strategic Considerations

On the whole, the situation is excellent. We're a quarter of the way through 1943 and the only area in which the Allies are making any inroads is around the Horn Island area.

The Allies, however, must be poised to strike. The logistical network to support major Allied operations exists in the Aleutians, the South-West Pacific and in Burma, and they've been building their strength for a long time now.

The priority remains to hold on till the IJA starts to churn out combat units in large numbers. The framework of my defensive lines exist: the redoubts of Burma, Java, Sumatra and the Maraianas are well fortified and garrisoned, but I need a great deal more men with rifles to fill the spaces between these redoubts, as well as to fill in the space behind them.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”