some odd problems in Utah to Rhine

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
AStott
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Layton, UT, USA
Contact:

some odd problems in Utah to Rhine

Post by AStott »

Started playing this campaign not too long ago. I had a loss on the first battle, but then won the second. I just played (and won the third today). This is the battle where you've got a large town that the fighting takes place in, featuring a hefty number of victory locations worth points each turn. I saw a couple of really strange things. First of all, the germans had this one unit, I can't remember what it was called now, but it looked like a vehicle, showed as being classified as a foot unit, and apparently acted like a mobile bunker of some kind. These things were a major pain to take out, especially since they featured panzerschrecks (I think?). Any one else seen something like this before? Perhaps I've got a corrupt campaign file...

The other thing I noticed (which I'm actually more concerned about), is that fairly often I'd see german units attack mine with response fire (usually this would happen with their infantry). The pop-up box would show them as having a 3% chance to hit. They would hit every single time (all 3 or 4 of their shots). This would happen without fail. Everytime those units fired, the percentage would usually be no more than 5% or so, and every single shot would hit. Anyone seen something like this happen before? In case it matters, I'm running 4.5...

Andrew
User avatar
skukko
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Post by skukko »

Hi :)

I've seen this infantry issue, I use regular wermacht now because elite troops were waste of money. They couldn't perform much better than reg's. Do you think it is odd that they hit with every shot? Might be, but where is based killer riflegrenades that US has? They pick up armor like they had armor at all. Not to mention power difference between bazookas and panzerfausts. I quess its just balancing the game. I try to win this war with germans, but more I play more I think its usefull, game has too many advantages against them.

mosh :(
salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again
PerryC
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Oromocto,NB,Canada

Post by PerryC »

I've noticed the problem with the infantry icons in the village a couple of times now. It's the German FG units that appear as American M3 half track units. They are a major pain to take out because they have an armor value as a half track would but they fire as if a FG unit. If it is a corrupt campaign file then you aren't the only one with it.

Maybe one of the OOB ***s can give us an idea of what is happening here.


PerryC
pro patria
User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

This problem exits due to the various upgrades to the game, the changing of icons, and oobs,not sure all scenarios and campaigns have kept up,

Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Alby is quite correct. It is a problem related to the newer OOBs. If those of you who are playing Utah to the Rhine can specify which battle (the date) would be fine, I'll look for those.

Soon as I can, I'll post an updated version of this campaign for you on the Game Depot.

Sorry, I was not aware of this change nor its effect on the campaign. Thanks for letting me know...WB
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

I just looked at the battles you have mentioned, Astott, and all the units are fine. No anomalies.

So the only thing I can think of is that you have an earlier version of OOBs than what you should.

The OOBs are the files that tie a graphic to a unit. If the unit is no longer in that slot, the computer assigns a default graphic, usually a bunker or a half-track.

What are the dates on your OOB files (in your main SPWAW directory)? Knowing that we can see if yours are outdated. I am sure that is the problem. I'm just not seeing what you are...WB
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
PerryC
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Oromocto,NB,Canada

Post by PerryC »

Wild Bill, here I thought this was another one of your little surprises :D

My OOBs were last modified on 12/20/00. Have they been updated since then?

Thanks for the info.
PerryC
pro patria
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Shoot, Perry! I have had so many oobs pass by me in the last month, I can't honestly say.

I think whatever the problem might be, it will be resolved with the birth of 5.0.

Just hang in a bit longer, my friend...WB
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
AStott
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Layton, UT, USA
Contact:

Post by AStott »

Well, my oobs seem to be a mix of Dec 17, Dec 16, and Sep 30... Most of them are Dec 17. I'm sure things will be resolved in v5.0.

What about the 3% chance always hits issue? Anyone seen this? It was definitely not a fluke, since I'd see it happen on a couple of specific units every single time they fired, without question.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”