Choosing forces in Campaigns

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Coyotebd
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Choosing forces in Campaigns

Post by Coyotebd »

This has probably been asked already but I can seem to find anything that answers my specific question.

In a campaign, you can choose a massive force that takes aeons to deploy and covers the map like a carpet of lice.

If this is my "core" force why must I choose so many? There is obviously too many for the map. If the chosen force is used from battle to battle shouldn't it be smaller?

I'd think that with the amount of points I have these should be the units I have access too over the campaign, choosing from these for each battle. Except they all deploy on the map.

Anyway, if someone could clarify this I'd be happy, like this :D, instead of confused :confused:, sad :o and frustrated :mad:
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
A Coy, VRHC
members.home.net/vrhc
WWII Online: Blitzkrieg
www.wwiionline.com
Anthony_MatrixForum
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Post by Anthony_MatrixForum »

Its sounds like you have too many units for your personal taste. You can set the Battle points in the preferences screen before you start a generated campaign, I typically use
2000-2600 points, some people go for a more,
but this is a good size force for small-medium battles.

Also as someelse pointed out, there is no real need to take low cost units for upgrading in these campaingns, as the oppoistion is based on current point totals, so you may as well get units expereienced from battle #1

I presume the number of points for a supplied special campaign is fixed. (Just take more tanks, they quickly use points :)

Anthony
Major Ed
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Jackson, MS USA

Post by Major Ed »

You may want to go to the Preferences Screen and lower the number of Battle Points. This number not only gives you forces in the scenarios but is the core for a campaign.

Taking a hint from one of the masters (Wild Bill) a good starting point is 1400-1500. This will give you enough points for a fair sized force but will make work for a balanced unit. (How much is enough? Just a little more than I have.)

I think most campaign battles are fought on the medium size map and couldn't find any way to change that.

Hope this helps.

"Battles are fought by platoons and squads. Place emphasis on small unit combat instruction so that it is conducted with the same precision as close-order drill." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Figmo
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun May 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by Figmo »

Coyotebd,

If you are playing a campaign or generated battle against the AI - you don't have to change the battle points - just pick the units you want and the AI will match it for the battle type. What I mean by that is - if you are doing a defend - I think the AI will have twice the number you have. I'm not sure about the other battle types - but I'm sure somebody will.

Figmo
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
User avatar
Mike Wood
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Oakland, California
Contact:

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

What units I choose depends on the country I am playing.

If playing USA, I take one infantry battalion of three rifle companies, 4 37mm/57mm anti-tank guns with transport, 6 heavy machine guns (50 caliber), one supply truck and 6 81mm mortars. When they are available, I upgrade every rifle squad to include a bazooka, as there were 13 of these in the TE for a line rifle company.

If playing Soviets, I take an assault force of one paratrooper battalion consisting of three paratrooper companies, one battery of 9 82mm mortars and two heavy tank companies (love KV tanks).

If playing Germans, I take one a combat group of one 1944 tank company (13 tanks, including HQ), one mechanized infantry platoon and one pioneer platoon, one section of self propelled infantry guns and plus 2 81mm mortars with transport.

Sometimes, when playing Germans, I take a battalion of paratroopers consisting of three paratrooper companies, 4 120mm mortars and a section of 37mm or 88mm anti-aircraft artillery with transport.
Originally posted by Coyotebd:
This has probably been asked already but I can seem to find anything that answers my specific question.
In a campaign, you can choose a massive force that takes eons to deploy and covers the map like a carpet of lice.
If this is my "core" force why must I choose so many? There is obviously too many for the map. If the chosen force is used from battle to battle shouldn't it be smaller?
I'd think that with the amount of points I have these should be the units I have access too over the campaign, choosing from these for each battle. Except they all deploy on the map.
Anyway, if someone could clarify this I'd be happy, like this :D, instead of confused :confused:, sad :o and frustrated :mad:
My core force value runs 1200 to 2000 points using the latest OOB (to be released with version 5.0), depending on the year.

I have found that by taking a company of tanks, three companies of infantry and one battery of artillery, the computer opponent does not overwhelm me in defend missions.

Please note that in the upcoming release of version 5.0, we have completely rewritten the computer opponent purchase routines and you should face fewer aircraft and artillery than you are now.

Hope this helps...

Michael Wood
Lead Programmer,
Matrix Games
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”