December Update Plans
Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39786
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
December Update Plans
Hi everyone,
I'd like to expand on Steve's latest report and give you a bit more information on what's coming in December.
We have the 1.2.3.2 Beta update going official any day now. This will bring a lot of additional fixes to customers who have been staying with the official release versions.
The next public beta will be the first since our shift in priorities six months ago to single player issues that focuses on NetPlay again. Steve has been making very good progress, but there's a lot still to be done. Our internal goal is to aim for making sure issues that affect Barbarossa via NetPlay are resolved this year. The next step, hopefully by mid-January is getting issues that affect Guadalcanal resolved and then looking further.
Once the next beta is available, probably around the 16th of December, we ask those of you who are willing to give NetPlay a try again with the Barbarossa scenario and let us know how it goes. We'll be looking over feedback from this next beta after the holidays to plan the mid-January NetPlay beta.
Regards,
- Erik
I'd like to expand on Steve's latest report and give you a bit more information on what's coming in December.
We have the 1.2.3.2 Beta update going official any day now. This will bring a lot of additional fixes to customers who have been staying with the official release versions.
The next public beta will be the first since our shift in priorities six months ago to single player issues that focuses on NetPlay again. Steve has been making very good progress, but there's a lot still to be done. Our internal goal is to aim for making sure issues that affect Barbarossa via NetPlay are resolved this year. The next step, hopefully by mid-January is getting issues that affect Guadalcanal resolved and then looking further.
Once the next beta is available, probably around the 16th of December, we ask those of you who are willing to give NetPlay a try again with the Barbarossa scenario and let us know how it goes. We'll be looking over feedback from this next beta after the holidays to plan the mid-January NetPlay beta.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
Back in a few Months
Erik,
Sad news that 1.232 will become the next official update. I found it way too buggy to bother starting a new game in so will give MWiF a rest for quite a few months before coming back. Since I could care less about the Netplay feature I'll wait until the next update after the Netplay one which hopefully will refocus on fixing the way too many glaring bugs in 1.232. Sorry but 1.232 needs to be fixed before starting Netplay.
I'm going to have fun playing the SSG Kharkov game with it's Across the Dnepr scenario. Looks like a fun old game system that's finished and ready for prime time.
Omnius
Sad news that 1.232 will become the next official update. I found it way too buggy to bother starting a new game in so will give MWiF a rest for quite a few months before coming back. Since I could care less about the Netplay feature I'll wait until the next update after the Netplay one which hopefully will refocus on fixing the way too many glaring bugs in 1.232. Sorry but 1.232 needs to be fixed before starting Netplay.
I'm going to have fun playing the SSG Kharkov game with it's Across the Dnepr scenario. Looks like a fun old game system that's finished and ready for prime time.
Omnius
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39786
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: Back in a few Months
Hi Omnius,
After earlier deciding to go ahead with it, we're considering holding off on 1.232 as well - more info soon.
Regards,
- Erik
After earlier deciding to go ahead with it, we're considering holding off on 1.232 as well - more info soon.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
Erik,
Good news about holding off on 1.232. Before fixing Netplay what good is that if there are too many serious new bugs that mar game play. After finding that 1.232 fixed a naval problem that had me stopped in 1.215 I found too many other new serious bugs and decided to shelve MWiF for a few months. I hope my bug reports help in that regard.
Omnius
Good news about holding off on 1.232. Before fixing Netplay what good is that if there are too many serious new bugs that mar game play. After finding that 1.232 fixed a naval problem that had me stopped in 1.215 I found too many other new serious bugs and decided to shelve MWiF for a few months. I hope my bug reports help in that regard.
Omnius
-
CrusssDaddy
- Posts: 330
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:05 am
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
Good lord...
-
joshuamnave
- Posts: 967
- Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 am
- Contact:
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
It's pretty disappointing that the priority has switched to netplay before fixing the bugs that mar basic game play. Doesn't do any good at all to be able to play against live opponents if the game itself is still not functioning properly. And that's not even touching the mess that is the production planning interface. How many netplay games do you think will get played if the Axis player quits in frustration after sitting waiting for the allied player to spend an hour trying to get one resource routed correctly?
There are bugs that still exist from release. There are regression bugs. There are bugs that are supposedly fixed but are not. There are critical bugs, annoying bugs and cosmetic bugs. What there isn't is a game that's reasonably playable in a multiplayer context.
There are bugs that still exist from release. There are regression bugs. There are bugs that are supposedly fixed but are not. There are critical bugs, annoying bugs and cosmetic bugs. What there isn't is a game that's reasonably playable in a multiplayer context.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
- Cataphract88
- Posts: 730
- Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 am
- Location: Britannia
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
I totally agree with Zartacla on this. The bugs should be eradicated before compounding the problems with Netplay.
Richard
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
ORIGINAL: cataphract88
I totally agree with Zartacla on this. The bugs should be eradicated before compounding the problems with Netplay.
[;)]
Bo
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
ORIGINAL: cataphract88
I totally agree with Zartacla on this. The bugs should be eradicated before compounding the problems with Netplay.
I've said the same. However, Matrix decides...
Peter
- Zorachus99
- Posts: 789
- Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Palo Alto, CA
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
I've mentioned this before as well. Can we not have one bug-free (or nearly so) before moving on to fixing all the modes?
Many of us are playing through Teamviewer, and are trying to deal with bugs, but can we please have one functioning mode of the game?
If you continue working on single-player, the vast majority of us who are both playing and Beta testing for you will continue to submit bug reports. How many of us are going to quit a game that takes 50-200 hours play to test multi-player if there are core bugs still? Not many, particularly not me. It's not that I don't want Netplay, I simply want a functional product in at least one mode. From there, I would be ecstatic if other modes are fixed, but I wouldn't be yammering about how I can't play.
Many of us are playing through Teamviewer, and are trying to deal with bugs, but can we please have one functioning mode of the game?
If you continue working on single-player, the vast majority of us who are both playing and Beta testing for you will continue to submit bug reports. How many of us are going to quit a game that takes 50-200 hours play to test multi-player if there are core bugs still? Not many, particularly not me. It's not that I don't want Netplay, I simply want a functional product in at least one mode. From there, I would be ecstatic if other modes are fixed, but I wouldn't be yammering about how I can't play.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
ORIGINAL: Centuur
ORIGINAL: cataphract88
I totally agree with Zartacla on this. The bugs should be eradicated before compounding the problems with Netplay.
I've said the same. However, Matrix decides...
Plus 1
Bo
December Update Plans
I think a lot of people - beta testers included - think that fixing the basic game first is the way to go (and I am 100% in this camp too).
However getting netplay working - at least for Barb and Guadalcanal - is really important to Matrix and its their party so that is how its going to be.
However getting netplay working - at least for Barb and Guadalcanal - is really important to Matrix and its their party so that is how its going to be.
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Better Fix 1.232 before Netplay
ORIGINAL: warspite1
I think a lot of people - beta testers included - think that fixing the basic game first is the way to go (and I am 100% in this camp too).
However getting netplay working - at least for Barb and Guadalcanal - is really important to Matrix and its their party so that is how its going to be.
Very good post on the naval aspect in WITW game.
Bo
December Update Plans
warspite1ORIGINAL: bo
ORIGINAL: warspite1
I think a lot of people - beta testers included - think that fixing the basic game first is the way to go (and I am 100% in this camp too).
However getting netplay working - at least for Barb and Guadalcanal - is really important to Matrix and its their party so that is how its going to be.
Very good post on the naval aspect in WITW game.
Bo
Thank-you bo. Let's hope either a) they listen or b) MWIF gets sorted so I won't have to care as I will be playing this! [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39786
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: December Update Plans
Hi everyone,
The non-NetPlay game continues to be the priority for the vast majority of the time going forward. We just recently after months of focus there switched to addressing some NetPlay issues. The reasons for this were as follows. First, we felt that going to next year without making another attempt to move NetPlay to a better state was unfair to the folks who've also been waiting patiently for us to fix the issues with that mode of play. Giving them a month of development time now before the holidays to see what progress we can make seems reasonable to me. Second, Steve also felt confident that he could make significant progress in that time, to at least allow a Barbarossa and perhaps more to be fully playable in NetPlay. Obviously we'll see how well we do on that score, but I want to also reassure the folks who are focused on non-NetPlay gaming that we will return our focus to fixing the single player issues as soon as this NetPlay pass is complete.
Regards,
- Erik
The non-NetPlay game continues to be the priority for the vast majority of the time going forward. We just recently after months of focus there switched to addressing some NetPlay issues. The reasons for this were as follows. First, we felt that going to next year without making another attempt to move NetPlay to a better state was unfair to the folks who've also been waiting patiently for us to fix the issues with that mode of play. Giving them a month of development time now before the holidays to see what progress we can make seems reasonable to me. Second, Steve also felt confident that he could make significant progress in that time, to at least allow a Barbarossa and perhaps more to be fully playable in NetPlay. Obviously we'll see how well we do on that score, but I want to also reassure the folks who are focused on non-NetPlay gaming that we will return our focus to fixing the single player issues as soon as this NetPlay pass is complete.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: December Update Plans
Thank you. I just want a stable single player epic campaign that I can play nice and slow and not hit anything where I then have to get into any specific details about finding workarounds.
Maybe I peruse the forums too much but seeing workaround this issue and workaround that issue has really put me off playing the game due to the amount of complexity I am led to believe the game has.
Just a confirmed Developer statement stating that "a basic settings bug free campaign game is now available" will help me loads.
Maybe I peruse the forums too much but seeing workaround this issue and workaround that issue has really put me off playing the game due to the amount of complexity I am led to believe the game has.
Just a confirmed Developer statement stating that "a basic settings bug free campaign game is now available" will help me loads.
- paulderynck
- Posts: 8529
- Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:27 pm
- Location: Canada
RE: December Update Plans
One work-around that I think you'd hit in such a game is that the "first loss requirement" for some types of combat is not being enforced by the program. It is one instance where you the player has to police the program and do the correct thing (take the loss of the correct unit) according to the rules. As opposed to the three thousand other rules that the program polices the players on.
There are some rare supply bugs you may hit in which case you can manually disorganize the unit if it moves when out of supply. It is getting to the point now where half the few supply bugs being reported are not bugs, but rather misapprehensions of the rules.
There are some rare supply bugs you may hit in which case you can manually disorganize the unit if it moves when out of supply. It is getting to the point now where half the few supply bugs being reported are not bugs, but rather misapprehensions of the rules.
Paul
RE: December Update Plans
First, we felt that going to next year without making another attempt to move NetPlay to a better state was unfair to the folks who've also been waiting patiently for us to fix the issues with that mode of play. Giving them a month of development time now before the holidays to see what progress we can make seems reasonable to me.
Fair enough but what about those folks who have been waiting patiently for a year to play the 'one-map' scenarios?
RE: December Update Plans
I'm a bit confused now--should we expect a patch soon or not?
I too have been thinking about firing up a Global War scenario (gave up hope long ago about seeing any of the single-map scenarios any time soon) but REALLY don't want to spend hours setting up convoy routes only to have to do it again later...are convoy routes working "normally" at this point?
I too have been thinking about firing up a Global War scenario (gave up hope long ago about seeing any of the single-map scenarios any time soon) but REALLY don't want to spend hours setting up convoy routes only to have to do it again later...are convoy routes working "normally" at this point?
- juntoalmar
- Posts: 710
- Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:08 pm
- Location: Valencia
- Contact:
RE: December Update Plans
If I could vote on this, I'd say "one-map" scenarios first. Then we could spend some time playing in Europe/or the Pacific while some more patches are finished.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/









