People ... There is a certain core group at Matrix games . com

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

MINDSPY

WOW

WOW

Hey how did you know

S n i p e r

A wish come true and so right on target

Did I do something that gave it away?


Thanks for the thanks.

thanks to you

rebelbug thanks kindly for enjoying yourself there!


Oh boy I really gotta rush I've got ten things that needed doing hours ago and now I am so far behind

i be back ...


MINDSPY
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Thanks for the translation, Mogami. Now if I can learn to say it with authority...Danke!

Be sure and use an umbrella. That desert sun is killer! And not the one with flowers on it, either, Mog!

The Man with the dark tan :D (Been in the desert toooooo long!)
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Bob Wallace
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Contact:

Post by Bob Wallace »

AHHHHEMMM AHHHHEEEEMMM AAHHHHEEEMMM...

Oh sorry Mike, wasn't trying to indicate i should be on your list ... I was just clearing my throat.

Hee Hee Hee
:D :D :D
"That which does not kill me usually leaves me wishing I was dead!"
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

Originally posted by Bob Wallace:
AHHHHEMMM AHHHHEEEEMMM AAHHHHEEEMMM...

Oh sorry Mike, wasn't trying to indicate i should be on your list ... I was just clearing my throat.

Hee Hee Hee
:D :D :D
MINDSPY

Damn I did miss a couple.

i had a number of names that just roll off the tongue when talking Matrix.
Bob Wallace is one of them and he has a nice location where you can get his historical scenarios.

it's at ThankHeads

sure enough while writing and having to keep track of spelling and making sure that i am on the same sentence typing while thinking other things and people to mention

sure enough i forgot a few.
thanks for mentioning it i was still convinced to this moment that i had mentioned Bob Wallace as I have played his scens many times
Purple/Debut and damn now i forgot the other name (valley of the i forogt)

oh well

thanks very much and even if your name didn't appear instantly it is on that list of peopely that come to mind very quickly when talking Matrix
(although you know you play with campaign generator too much
if you don't go blind you bound to have weak tactical skill ....


blah blah blah.

HAHAHAHAHA
MINDSPY

:eek:
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

Originally posted by Bob Wallace:
AHHHHEMMM AHHHHEEEEMMM AAHHHHEEEMMM...

Oh sorry Mike, wasn't trying to indicate i should be on your list ... I was just clearing my throat.

Hee Hee Hee
:D :D :D
MINDSPY

Yeah losing sound is as painful as my back.
however for those of us still under 600 MHz
also consider it to be performance robbing extras.


And of course REDLEG.
His tireless efforts to get players to consider the historical is well known.
No need to define Historical for me REDLEG the word means only one thing to me and the process to get to historical forces is simple.

You clearly have the right idea.

MINDSPY
User avatar
Grenadier
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 10, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA USA

Post by Grenadier »

I agree with all of these comments, but even thoufgh they are silent most of the time. do not forget MIke Wood & Tom Proudfoot..

Without them, there would be no game called SPWAW to rave about :)
Brent Grenadier Richards




__________________
Image

[url=http://
Figmo
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun May 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by Figmo »

Originally posted by Brent:
I agree with all of these comments, but even thoufgh they are silent most of the time. do not forget MIke Wood & Tom Proudfoot..

Without them, there would be no game called SPWAW to rave about :)
Absolutely correct Brent!! And let's not forget you - Brent - with all your scenarios for people to enjoyment - you make a very large contribution to our fun.

And one more person - Mel Marauder - his leadership of the SP Arsenal and his map making are already legendary!!

Figmo
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

Originally posted by Figmo:
Absolutely correct Brent!! And let's not forget you - Brent - with all your scenarios for people to enjoyment - you make a very large contribution to our fun.

And one more person - Mel Marauder - his leadership of the SP Arsenal and his map making are already legendary!!

Figmo
MINDSPY

I'll stand by you FIGMO!

Thanks again.

MINDSPY
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Interesting thoughts here Mindspy. There is a history here of which you may not be aware.

Back in the fall of 1997 (That long ago? SP3 was still being beta tested and so was East Front back then!) I approached David Heath about opening a little site dedicated to SP scenarios.

He was just gettting started with The Gamers Net. I had just left Novastar and also another web site and was looking for a home.

I offered to do one scenario a week and write an article (historical) on that scenario.

Back then that was the crew at TGN. David...and me!

Now in 3 1/2 years look what has happened. I would never have really considered all of this possible, including having a part in the beginning of a gaming company.

I've seen the coming of so many talented people here. I remember well when all of these gentlemen began to join us, one at a time.

Of the original Raider group of seven, only the old Kunel is left. But now the Raiders number 27 strong and The small test group has grown into four teams working on four separate web pages! Amazing!

It's been a stormy three years, ain't it David? But we are hanging in there.

I've been privileged to have a part in all of this, including the development scenario design and support of the mighty SPWAW.

And if you were to start naming names, which was a very kind gesture, Mindspy, so MANY come to mind. They've all been heroes for the gaming community. Some are here. Some have moved on.

Sometimes the experiences have been rough, and skies cloudy, but I've always seen the rainbow. I see it now.

This is a fine team, top notch quality, good attitude and we get along just fine.

The names don't stop with TGN. What about all of you out there, who support and encourage us? What would any of this be without you, your patience, and your goodwill?

Nothing of this means very much without all of you. So we here at Matrix salute you, all of you who stand with us in this effort!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

MINDSPY

That does take us back don't it.

thanks for the storyline it is always interesting to see the behind the scenesand over the years.

Is there a *.pdf of this out there yet?

I hope some day.

The thing about being on a cmputer game is that reading doesn't come up too often and then when it does and when it is warm and a good story it just makes the game that much more fun and sustaining for enjoyment (particularly in these days of one year is alomost enough to make your computer obsolete
in hardware to software--who can keep up year to year?).

Well I would like to see the *.pdf of the story behind the web links from an over the years perspective and a into the future assesment so we can chortle when we actually get there and smile at what we used to hope for etc..

Ah well.

to the *.pdf

MINDSPY
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Indeed I do have a little something written on the subject somewhere areound here. It needs to be updated. Let me find it, and I'll send it, or perhaps post it here, Mindspy...WB
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Indeed I do have a little something written on the subject somewhere areound here. It needs to be updated. Let me find it, and I'll send it, or perhaps post it here, Mindspy...WB
MNDSPY

Both options sound good to me!

MINDSPY
Don
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Elk Grove, CA (near Sacramento)

Post by Don »

Originally posted by MindSpy:
MINDSPY

And of course REDLEG.
His tireless efforts to get players to consider the historical is well known.
No need to define Historical for me REDLEG the word means only one thing to me and the process to get to historical forces is simple.

You clearly have the right idea.

MINDSPY
I just came to look around and see if Redleg was mentioned here. I'm glad to see he is! While we were making scenarios or testing for the campaign, Redleg just kept testing and testing every new version of 5.0 that came out, and it was so great because we didn't have time to test yet we weren't "in the dark". We immediately found out how the new version was different and in what way. he's also helped me almost from day one on scenario design, and a better designer you won't find anywhere! :)
Don "Sapper" Llewellyn
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

MINDSPY

I didn't expect that this thread would stay alive too long however Wild bill has promised a special posting a read of the through the year's being placed here or a link to it!

REDLEG cannot forgotten at all.

Perhaps i should get around to listing some more!
Heck maybe over time I can get something out of him for all the hungry gamers at theDEUL

And \ or wait for their's and other's.
prompt's.


MINDSPY
K_Tiger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Germany

Post by K_Tiger »

Burning daylight???humpf...

how could dayligth burn?

may he means "verbrauchen"....Tageslicht...
its a usual spelling for...use the daylight..or so..
User avatar
frank1970
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Bayern

Post by frank1970 »

I asked Wild Bill and he told me it means to sit there and do nothing. So the translation would be: "Beeilen Sie sich! Wir verschwenden den ganzen Tag!"
If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

K_Tiger
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Germany

Post by K_Tiger »

Sers Frank...

Maybe today we say.."verschwenden"...but i do not belive this would rommel also...

verbrauchen could also be wrong..who knows..
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

MINDSPY

Ho Ho Ho hehehehe ahahahahahaha !!!!


oh boy hohhohohohoho hahahahahhaha


hehehehehehhheeeeeeeeeehhheeeeeeee

hahahah O hboy can't write oh that's so


du bist ist schon


MINDSPY
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

About the best I can do Mindspy is give you a rundown of the Raider group, which is inextricably tied in with TGN and Matrix. I guess you could call us at least part of the string that has held it all together. So here goes. I hope it proves interesting to all of you.
----------------------------
TGN, Matrix Games, and the Raiders

Beginnings

Wild Bill's Raiders was initially a small group formed in 1982 to support the prestigious board game of Squad Leader. I had personally felt the need for even more scenarios and a variant in Squad Leader for the Pacific theater of Operations.

Since it did not seem to be forthcoming (though it did some years later in the Advanced Squad Leader Series), I took it upon myself to form a team from all over the US and get something going.

At that time I discovered a free-lance magazine called "On All Fronts," put up an ad asking for help, and got a few people scattered over the United States to respond and offer their support. Together we formed the group known as Wild Bill's Raiders.

We proceeded to design a number of scenarios and a complete Pacific variant with maps, counters, rules and some nice ideas for playing the game. Ours was, of course, an incomplete game that one could not play without owning the other Squad Leader Modules. So actually we were support for the sale of Squad Leader.

It went over so well that the magazine, "The Wargamer," published a nice article about the variant and our work with the rules included, and a couple of scenarios and our homemade maps. Well, this did not earn the favor of Avalon Hill. They came down very hard on me, threatened to sue me, and demanded all the material and the copyright to this variant.

At that time I was going through a personal crisis and was not in the mood to fight. I surrendered all our work to them. The Raiders were then disbanded and I left the gaming arena for nearly ten years.

From Boards to a Screen

My interest was re-ignited in 1990 when I got into the use of computers. One of the first wargames I played was the Wargame Construction Set, from SSI, where one had the ability to design scenarios for the computer.

A couple of years after that, while "game shopping," I came upon a new wargamer that really captured my fancy. It was that great game by Norm Koger, TANKS. It was wonderful, complete with a scenario editor. I was in my element again!

Reading the manual of the game, I came across Novastar. I ordered a couple of their scenario disks. I was thrilled with the opportunity to design scenarios again, this time electronically.

I corresponded with David Landrey, head of Novastar, who gave me a chance and in 1993 the company published my first scenario disk on Vietnam. From there I continued to design another 200 scenarios for TANKS.

It was David Landrey who also got me involved in the beta testing of Steel Panthers. I had a hard time getting started because of my antiquated computer, but was able to design some stuff for SP1.

From there, I went on a rampage, designing over 200 scenarios for Novastar in support of SP1. David Landrey in many was my mentor and I'll be forever grateful to him for giving me a chance to prove myself.

Sadly, however, certain problems arose and I left Novastar and went to a website called Pegasus. It was there that I had the opportunity to continue working on the beta versions of SP2 and did most of the scenario design work for the Sp2 campaign disk and both the campaign disks for SP1.

I left Pegasus in 1997 and through Mario Kroll was introduced to David Heath of what was then a revamped "Wargamer" web site. I offered to David the idea of adding to what the site a new section that would offer one scenario and one historical article a week on Steel Panthers.

The Raiders are Re-born

By this time I had made the acquaintance of a few fellow-gamers through the Internet and was also actively involved in the beta testing of SP3 with SSI.

I decided that we needed a team to do scenarios the right way. We formed another small group of gamers and named it again (by vote of the members) Wild Bill's Raiders. Of that original group only I remain. Here is to missing comrades.

Our first tiny web page came out on October 31st, 1997. By that time Mario had opened the Wargamer as a separate site and David Heath renamed his site, "The Gamer's Net." At first there was only David Heath and I. Then came the 6 members of the Raider team.

David proved to be another good friend and a great encourager for me personally. There were some very hard times but we hung in there till better times came along. And they did!

Since that time, both the Gamer's Net and the Raiders have consistently grown until what you see today. The Raiders now number 27. We now support four games as a scenario design center, including all the Steel Panthers games, Combat Mission and the Campaign series of wargames.

Where We Are - Where We Are Going

During this period of over three years, the Raiders and I have been able to contribute scenarios to East Front, Panzer Commander, The Operational Art of War, The Operational Art of War II, Steel Panthers I, II, III, Combat Mission, and of course, Steel Panthers World War II and now Steel Panthers, World at War. None of that would have been possible without the Raiders team.

During 1998, there were some changes in the group and a number of gamers that are still here today joined our ranks. They include nearly all of those who are the "core" Raider group. These guys have hung in there through thick and thin and proven not only to be top-notch wargamers, but also people dedicated to the goals we wanted to accomplish.

The Raiders, as a group, have produced some 500 scenarios, primarily for Steel Panthers (all versions). In addition, dozens of articles, scenario design tips and other pieces of work have been done by the Raiders. The group has also been involved in the beta testing of a number of games, both individually and as a whole. Every member of the teams is a proven wargamer, with a wealth of experience to bring to the rest.

It has not been the work of one man, but a group that works as one. I've never been involved in anything in my life with such esprit de corps, such unanimity, as what we have in the Raiders. This is, in my mind, the finest group of guys anyone could ask to work with. It has been my privilege to share all these wonderful and sometimes burdensome experiences. And this includes the new expanded Raider group. It is an honor to work with every one of them.

With the sad demise of The Gamers Net, a new challenge awaits the Raiders. We have our home at Matrix and soon we hope to have our new web sites up and going. We will keep you posted.

Now these well honed, "Gung-Ho" gamers known as the Raiders are ready to do more and better so that Matrix will offer the best games possible, the ones you want to play.

It's been a great ride for all of us. And we're not through yet. We'll continue as long as there is interest in what we do.
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
MindSpy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by MindSpy »

MINDSPY

Thanks kindly.

It was interesting to read.

Glad you are refit and leading the drive on the Campaign addition to the game.

MINDSPY
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”