Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Moderator: maddog986
Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Dream game - I want total control of a nation's political, economic, nation's leadership and production factors starting in ohh, 1936 and ending in 1946... ish.
In short, I would like a Hearts of Iron 3 game but not real time, but turn based.
I would like to research tech and upgrade my military while making decisions on what research to prioritize and what leaders to place where.
I would like to make my own division's composition, placing as many (or as little) squads, MG, AT guns, armored cars, tanks, SPArt, artillery, radios as I want.
Then combine these divisions into corps and setup armies and fronts/army groups.
In short, HOI3 turn based... with more historical outcomes, research and ABSOLUTELY NO possibility of Albania taking over the world starting in 1936 (has been done by pro players).
In short, I would like a Hearts of Iron 3 game but not real time, but turn based.
I would like to research tech and upgrade my military while making decisions on what research to prioritize and what leaders to place where.
I would like to make my own division's composition, placing as many (or as little) squads, MG, AT guns, armored cars, tanks, SPArt, artillery, radios as I want.
Then combine these divisions into corps and setup armies and fronts/army groups.
In short, HOI3 turn based... with more historical outcomes, research and ABSOLUTELY NO possibility of Albania taking over the world starting in 1936 (has been done by pro players).
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle
War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh
INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle
War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh
INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
-
aaatoysandmore
- Posts: 2846
- Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Making History I & II closest you'll find.
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Well count me in as well, I tried HOI I, II and III, but due to the realtime aspect of it I just can't get into the game. Just not my cup of tea, gametime is either moving too fast or too slow and it's driving me nuts. Best thing that comes close is maybe the Strategic Command series, on a bigger map that is. There is a new version coming SC III I think but I haven't checked on that one in a long time. Or maybe Advanced Tactics where you can create any unit on any map you want.
- Ostwindflak
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm
- Location: New Hampshire
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
I have both Making History games and I find them to be complete rubbish. I have tried to get into them, but they just can't grab my attention. I think it is the mechanics of the game I don't like.
Even though I really don't like those games and wish I had not purchased them, the #1 game on my list I can't stand and wish I had never even thought about buying was Strategic War in Europe. God awful game that is.
Strategic Command: Assault on Democracy is a good turn based game kind of like HOI series. I also really like Commander: Europe At War however I have a game stopping bug atm.
Even though I really don't like those games and wish I had not purchased them, the #1 game on my list I can't stand and wish I had never even thought about buying was Strategic War in Europe. God awful game that is.
Strategic Command: Assault on Democracy is a good turn based game kind of like HOI series. I also really like Commander: Europe At War however I have a game stopping bug atm.
- IainMcNeil
- Posts: 2784
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 am
- Location: London
- Contact:
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Strategic Command 3 which is coming soon should satisfy this itch!
On the CEAW issue have you told the dev team? They live on Slitherine and are very active. The development was passed across to a very enthusiastic team of volunteers some years ago.
On the CEAW issue have you told the dev team? They live on Slitherine and are very active. The development was passed across to a very enthusiastic team of volunteers some years ago.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Director
Matrix Games
- Ostwindflak
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm
- Location: New Hampshire
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Yes I have had a thread open in the tech support for CEAW for the past three days over there. 24 views and no responses.
- Rising-Sun
- Posts: 2248
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
- Contact:
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Making History probably the close you going to get here part one and two.

RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
There is a scenario available for Advanced Tactics Gold that is a user developed World War II simulation. It is
called GD1938, for Global Domination, and as you will guess it currently starts in January 1938. There are multiple
AARs of this game on the ATG forums, and multiple multiplayer games going on now.
It has tech trees, production, war economy acceleration, naval war that counts for something, and eight powers that
are playable, with many minors. The community is small but enthusiastic, and the developer very involved. Even the
ATG (and Decisive Campaigns) developer is playing in one game. It is fun, and ATG has many other positive aspects.
All you need is ATG, which is still on sale I think. We could always use new players.
Chuck
PS. Solo play, against the AI is not supported, but the Axis is playable as a learning experience. With continuing
development AI play may be improved.
Here is a shot from a game, some hexes are white blocked to prevent enemy eyes from viewing.

- Attachments
-
- FranceBisected.jpg (171.11 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
- Rising-Sun
- Posts: 2248
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
- Contact:
- Ostwindflak
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm
- Location: New Hampshire
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
ATG is fun. I have not tried the GD1938 mod, however I have read some of those AARs. One thing I find to be a problem in that game is trying to keep a good size navy, air force, and mechanized army going strong. So easy to run out of fuel fast.
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
In reading over my post I noticed that my statement about playing against the AI might have been construed as applying
to ATG, but it is not. ATG has a nice AI, fun to play against.
GD1938 has diplomacy and other aspects that are difficult for the standard AI to handle, and they have not yet been
scripted, but they could be.
Here is a shot of the other side of the world, turn eight, July 25, 1938 in the Sino-Japanese war.

to ATG, but it is not. ATG has a nice AI, fun to play against.
GD1938 has diplomacy and other aspects that are difficult for the standard AI to handle, and they have not yet been
scripted, but they could be.
Here is a shot of the other side of the world, turn eight, July 25, 1938 in the Sino-Japanese war.

- Attachments
-
- G15T08ChinaView.jpg (452.09 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
GD1938 is not very realistic, love to play it but does not meet the criteria of historically plausible.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
There's really nothing to that detail that you'll find that's turn based, unfortunately. I tend to side with the people that say Making History games aren't that great. Strategic Command 2 Gold with the Assault on Democracy expansion is pretty fun but very high level and not detailed enough for my liking. World in Flames gives you tons of control but its a beast to play.
Honestly, the best thing I've found is playing Darkest Hour (HoI2 remake) with good mods. The game gets incredibly detailed and gives the best historic realism I've seen in a game covering the entire conflict. Many mods are realistic, try the Edge of Darkness mod. Not turn based but fully pausable like HoI3.
I've struggled to find a game like you've described and outside of WiF it doesn't really exist. AoD is extremely flexible and I really recommend you try it out because it is nothing like HoI3, which I think is a sub-par game in many aspects.
Honestly, the best thing I've found is playing Darkest Hour (HoI2 remake) with good mods. The game gets incredibly detailed and gives the best historic realism I've seen in a game covering the entire conflict. Many mods are realistic, try the Edge of Darkness mod. Not turn based but fully pausable like HoI3.
I've struggled to find a game like you've described and outside of WiF it doesn't really exist. AoD is extremely flexible and I really recommend you try it out because it is nothing like HoI3, which I think is a sub-par game in many aspects.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak
I also really like Commander: Europe At War however I have a game stopping bug atm.
I feel the same and have the same problem with CEAW v3.1! I posted on the CEAW forum, but so far no reply, so I thought I was the only one with the game stopping bug (locks up and can't go after awhile in grand campaigne). [:(]
JRR
-
aaatoysandmore
- Posts: 2846
- Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
You'll find though that Making History I and II are pretty much "exactly" like HOI's only turn based. I found the ai to be satisfying and do not see where there is a problem with the game mechanics since they are very much like HOI's. The ai is superb and just one level up from normal will give you a tough game. I personally do not feel those that have dissed the game have played it. I'd say try it you might like it first and foremost. I think there is even a demo. It's really good trust me. I do not give recommendations to games litely.
- Ostwindflak
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm
- Location: New Hampshire
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
You'll find though that Making History I and II are pretty much "exactly" like HOI's only turn based. I found the ai to be satisfying and do not see where there is a problem with the game mechanics since they are very much like HOI's. The ai is superb and just one level up from normal will give you a tough game. I personally do not feel those that have dissed the game have played it. I'd say try it you might like it first and foremost. I think there is even a demo. It's really good trust me. I do not give recommendations to games litely.
Sir, I have played through both games as in completed a country from the start of the war to the end. That was a big assumption saying I have not played it. I only said how in my own opinion those games are rubbish AFTER I had played them multiple times. Having HoI 1-3 plus Darkest Hour I do not feel there is much of a comparison between the Making History Games and the HoI series. By no means is the HoI series a stellar representation of the war, however they are entertaining.
My own opinion of the Making History games is there is a lack of immersion. I don't feel like I am playing a serious or even entertaining war game with those. After I bought the first one many years ago and after playing it, the game felt like it was designed with one thought in mind "to ride on the coat tails of the success of the HoI series".
- bairdlander2
- Posts: 2392
- Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:25 am
- Location: Toronto Ontario but living in Edmonton,Alberta
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
You have "dissed" the HOI series as well as Paradox in several posts and I don't believe you have ever played it from the gameplay descriptions you give.You also stated that the HOI series is for "kids" and has a low learning curve.I think not.ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
You'll find though that Making History I and II are pretty much "exactly" like HOI's only turn based. I found the ai to be satisfying and do not see where there is a problem with the game mechanics since they are very much like HOI's. The ai is superb and just one level up from normal will give you a tough game. I personally do not feel those that have dissed the game have played it. I'd say try it you might like it first and foremost. I think there is even a demo. It's really good trust me. I do not give recommendations to games litely.
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
Is there really no market for a serious hex-based and turn-based grand strategy game?
I know there is the prospect of GG's WW2 All Theatres but that one is a long way off.
I tried Strategic Command 1 and 2 as well as Commander Europe at War, but they are too are too "light" (no stacking, simplified combat etc.) for my taste and only cover the war in Europe, which is not good enough in 2014 (2015).
HOI1 and HOI2 was the best I could find so far, even though it is way too easy to pull off unrealistic things (fielding 80 panzer divisions as Germany for instance). HOI3 was flawed, I put it away after some 50 game hours and have never touched it ever since.
There is of course WW2 Time of Wrath and Time of Fury, but again, just Europe, and the games are clunky and not very playable IMO. The interface is horrible and I don't care for the ugly sprites and the graphics. I don't need flashy graphics, but they should be clear and streamlined, WITE/WITW does a great job there.
Maybe HOI4 is the best bet when it comes to WW2 grand strategy, but I have lost a bit of hope after HOI3.
Still hoping for Matrix Games to be the place to put out a turn-based WW2 grand strategy game which values realism. Also had big hopes for WiF, but apparently this isn't the real thing either.
I know there is the prospect of GG's WW2 All Theatres but that one is a long way off.
I tried Strategic Command 1 and 2 as well as Commander Europe at War, but they are too are too "light" (no stacking, simplified combat etc.) for my taste and only cover the war in Europe, which is not good enough in 2014 (2015).
HOI1 and HOI2 was the best I could find so far, even though it is way too easy to pull off unrealistic things (fielding 80 panzer divisions as Germany for instance). HOI3 was flawed, I put it away after some 50 game hours and have never touched it ever since.
There is of course WW2 Time of Wrath and Time of Fury, but again, just Europe, and the games are clunky and not very playable IMO. The interface is horrible and I don't care for the ugly sprites and the graphics. I don't need flashy graphics, but they should be clear and streamlined, WITE/WITW does a great job there.
Maybe HOI4 is the best bet when it comes to WW2 grand strategy, but I have lost a bit of hope after HOI3.
Still hoping for Matrix Games to be the place to put out a turn-based WW2 grand strategy game which values realism. Also had big hopes for WiF, but apparently this isn't the real thing either.
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
ORIGINAL: fsp1978
Is there really no market for a serious hex-based and turn-based grand strategy game?
I know there is the prospect of GG's WW2 All Theatres but that one is a long way off.
I tried Strategic Command 1 and 2 as well as Commander Europe at War, but they are too are too "light" (no stacking, simplified combat etc.) for my taste and only cover the war in Europe, which is not good enough in 2014 (2015).
HOI1 and HOI2 was the best I could find so far, even though it is way too easy to pull off unrealistic things (fielding 80 panzer divisions as Germany for instance). HOI3 was flawed, I put it away after some 50 game hours and have never touched it ever since.
There is of course WW2 Time of Wrath and Time of Fury, but again, just Europe, and the games are clunky and not very playable IMO. The interface is horrible and I don't care for the ugly sprites and the graphics. I don't need flashy graphics, but they should be clear and streamlined, WITE/WITW does a great job there.
Maybe HOI4 is the best bet when it comes to WW2 grand strategy, but I have lost a bit of hope after HOI3.
Still hoping for Matrix Games to be the place to put out a turn-based WW2 grand strategy game which values realism. Also had big hopes for WiF, but apparently this isn't the real thing either.
I'm in the same boat as you, man. We'll just have to wait for something.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
RE: Wanted: Hearts of Iron 3 turn based
I've been getting into the Panzer Campaigns games lately and a part of me wants a game at that scale covering the whole war not just individual battles. Then I realize a a game at that scale, 1km hexes and each turn representing two hours, would be virtually impossible to play through. It would be over 20,000 turns! Still I would love to try and tackle a beast like that.
I am looking forward to Strategic Command 3 as it seems like the closet thing to what I want.
I am looking forward to Strategic Command 3 as it seems like the closet thing to what I want.
"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.





