SALONIKA DONATION question?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Post Reply
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

SALONIKA DONATION question?

Post by operating »

Can anybody explain how, or what conditions have to exist, that cause the Greeks to give the British the capital city of Salonika? In 2 MP matches I have placed British transports next to the city, but nothing happens, even left a transport next to city for an extra turn with support ships, still nothing happens. Usually I can figure out how to unlock such an "Special Event", but this one eludes me. Thanks, Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Symple
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by Symple »

Are you saying the option to unload your transports does not present itself?
There is a time threshold, but then the troops can land.
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Symple

Are you saying the option to unload your transports does not present itself?
There is a time threshold, but then the troops can land.
Yes! to first question. If you could, PLEASE spell out this time threshold.... My timing could be off to trigger the event, the thing is: I do not know what the criteria is to pull it off. It's not explained in the manual and I don't know how to get it out of the thin air (so to speak)?
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Symple
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by Symple »

I am not a technical player - put on my boots and campaign hat, jump on the horse and hope for the best.

That is a way of saying, I am not sure if it is the date, October/November 1915 or the event, Serbia conquered, which allows intervention. But it seems to correspond to Serbian surrender more than the historical date.

What I do find is that I have the unload option. I discovered this when I was trying to figure out how to replay the Gallipoli campaign. It might even be that landing which is the trigger.
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Symple

I am not a technical player - put on my boots and campaign hat, jump on the horse and hope for the best.

That is a way of saying, I am not sure if it is the date, October/November 1915 or the event, Serbia conquered, which allows intervention. But it seems to correspond to Serbian surrender more than the historical date.

What I do find is that I have the unload option. I discovered this when I was trying to figure out how to replay the Gallipoli campaign. It might even be that landing which is the trigger.
In SP I've (as CP) seen where a British garrison landed in Salonika and it might have been before Serbia's surrender. What strikes me odd, that why should the Event not happen at a later date after Serbia's surrender? If so, HOW? There are members out there that know how to read the "lua" language stuff, that could interpret the move, that is a place I do not know how to utilize or it's meaning. Symple, Thanks to you, at least I have a clue to work on.... Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
bob.
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by bob. »

Took a quick look into the Lua for the event "SalonikaDonation".

As far as I can see these are the conditions:

- Greece needs to exist, be neutral and "CanFactionProduce"... I assume this means Greece has to be able to produce units, i.e. still have its capital.
- Bulgaria has to join a faction in 1 turn (or, I assume, be in a faction already)
- Serbia, France and Britain must not be neutral

So, basically, the important thing here is Bulgaria. Once Bulgaria is 1 turn away from joining the war, Salonika will be donated.
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: bob.

Took a quick look into the Lua for the event "SalonikaDonation".

As far as I can see these are the conditions:

- Greece needs to exist, be neutral and "CanFactionProduce"... I assume this means Greece has to be able to produce units, i.e. still have its capital.
- Bulgaria has to join a faction in 1 turn (or, I assume, be in a faction already)
- Serbia, France and Britain must not be neutral

So, basically, the important thing here is Bulgaria. Once Bulgaria is 1 turn away from joining the war, Salonika will be donated.
This is what exactly I have been looking for! Tried using lua files, but could not get close to what you uncovered.. OK, now I can see in the present state of affairs why the "Salonika Event" will not happen. (1) Serbia has surrendered (2) Bulgaria is at 1 turn from entering, but that 1 is a "Red 1", so the conditions do not meet the "Salonika Donation". Wasted some turns in MP trying to figure this out, but to no avail for now Romania has just entered, which now I missed an opportunity to disembark on their coast ASAP.

Bob, Thanks for your imput and time, Bob (sounds familiar)[:)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by operating »

Bob,

How do I find the lua file that you used? OC/?/?/? as an example. I've gone OC/slitherine/? or OC/program 86/?, but cannot get much beyond that. Gone games/CTGW/ scripts. however scripts always looking encrypted. Tried opening some files with notepad, but that ends up encrypted also. This stuff is not my forte, however I am willing to learn.

Thanks, Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
User avatar
operating
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

RE: SALONIKA question?

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: bob.

Took a quick look into the Lua for the event "SalonikaDonation".

As far as I can see these are the conditions:

- Greece needs to exist, be neutral and "CanFactionProduce"... I assume this means Greece has to be able to produce units, i.e. still have its capital.
- Bulgaria has to join a faction in 1 turn (or, I assume, be in a faction already)
- Serbia, France and Britain must not be neutral

So, basically, the important thing here is Bulgaria. Once Bulgaria is 1 turn away from joining the war, Salonika will be donated.

Still have not had success with the "SalonikaDonation", The one time I had all the elements to achieve this, Serbia's NM was at "0", which I think had something to do with not successfully landing a Brit transport at Salonika, for that matter: "Could a French transport achieve the same goal?" Reading the lua is still somewhat Chinese to me.

Does a friendly surface fleet have to be present to complete the puzzle?
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Post Reply

Return to “Commander - The Great War”