Loading Infantry

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Loading Infantry

Post by Kirk »

This may be a stupid question, but is there a simple way to load infantry into halftracks/trucks/etc.? The only way I know how to do it now is to highlight the infantry unit that needs loading to see it's movement radius, move the transport unit to the farthest edge of the infantry units radius, then try to get the infantry unit to move to the same hex as the transport. Only once both units are in the same hex can I then load. It's a very cumbersome process and I'm sure I'm missing something. I'd think it would be a lot simpler than that. The problem is the fact I can't load a unit unless they're both in the same hex and I can't get them both in the same hex unless one is at the end of its movement. I'm sure somebody out there can tell me what I'm missing. Thanks.
User avatar
Jim1954
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Dallas

Post by Jim1954 »

When moving one unit on top of another, hold down the shift key, and it will let you double stack them, then load the unit and continue your movement, if any remains.
Image
Jim1954
KMC/T
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Loading Infantry

Post by Kirk »

I knew it would be something simple like that. Thanks.
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

Not sure what you mean by the unit has to be "at the end of its movement." :confused:

Keep in mind, to enter a hex, you have to pay the terrain cost (e.g. 2 pts to enter a clear hex with a leg unit) plus 1 pt per unit that is already in the hex you want to enter. So, that same clear hex costs a leg unit 3 pts to enter when an HT is sitting there waiting to load that squad.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
User avatar
Jim1954
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Dallas

Post by Jim1954 »

Bob, I think he was just missing the Shift hint. I have seen HT's move a couple hexes, load, move a couple more and then unload. I think as long as you have sufficent MP's it'll work.
Image
Jim1954
KMC/T
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Loading Infantry

Post by Kirk »

My problem was the fact I couldn't figure out how to get two units to occupy the same hex so I could do the loading. Now that I've been told the secret I'm good to go. Thanks.
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rbrunsman »

Ahh, I see... sometimes questions are too easy (for those in the know anyway) so we (I mean, I) read more into them than was intended.

That shift trick doesn't exactly leap out at you when you start playing the game, does it?
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Loading Infantry

Post by Kirk »

Nope. And I think I've used the help function that defines what all the keys on the keyboard do. I don't remember seeing anything that says hold down the "shift" key so a unit can enter the same hex as another unit. Maybe it's there but I must have just missed it.
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”