Return to the Valley of the Sun: Condor (USN) vs. Quark (IJN)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

"SUBS?? We're supposed to be looking for SUBS?!??"

Post by Attack Condor »

<sigh>

And you wonder why PBY crews are oft looked upon in something less than a complimentary light.. :(

ASW patrol ... 1000 ft ... less than 100 miles from Noumea ... well rested ... so of course that feathery wake in the water below them must be a porpise :rolleyes:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/27/42

Weather: Overcast

Sub attack at 52,65

Japanese Ships
SS I-24, Shell hits 3

Allied Ships
AK Betelgeuse, Shell hits 13, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 170th Regiment, at 10,40


Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 17
P-400 Airacobra x 10
P-40E Kittyhawk x 7


Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway x 1 destroyed
Wirraway x 2 damaged
P-400 Airacobra x 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 27


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2643 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 16766 troops, 120 guns, 20 vehicles



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Betelguese was lost to a surface attack - sheesh, send one transport TF out with no protection and it gets creamed :mad: (now I know how Quark felt when the SBDs kept hitting the TFs with no CAP)

On the plus side of the day, intelligence officers confirm the sinking of the destroyer Sazanami from decoded radio intercepts.

Lost shipping total to date is 10 ships sunk by the Allies and 9 ships sunk by the IJN.

The bombardment at PM may be the start of an attempt to wear down the defenders, but with only 17 guns, it seems like a waste of ammunition. I have been contemplating bombardments of my own.... The Army wants to badly, but I fear the supplies may be needed.

I-28 (or a friend of his) is still lurking in PM. Sims continues to shadow him........

Reinforcements are probably on the way from the north.

They are definitely on the way from the south. The decision has been made.

Port Moresby will be held at all costs. Well, as long as MacArthur still signs my performance evaluations ;)

Meanwhile..... in the east..... a small task force slips out of its harbour in the dark of the morning.... its crew is unaware of where it is headed.

A staff planner sends a message to Pearl:

DTG 27Jun421202Z - Operation Funhouse underway.......

More to come.....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Oops........

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday's combat action was not one to go into the annals of USN ASW successes :(

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/28/42

Weather: Overcast

Sub attack near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-29

Allied Ships
DD Sims, Torpedo hits 1, on fire


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Hunete at 53,64

Japanese Ships
SS I-24

Allied Ships
AO Tippecanoe, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 170th Regiment, at 10,40


Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 16
P-400 Airacobra x 10


Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway x 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 31


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2640 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 16793 troops, 120 guns, 20 vehicles



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tippecanoe struggles to make it to port while the remaining tankers leave her behind.......

Sims was caught flatfooted chasing the contact thought to be I-28 when a second sub - I-29 - put a torpedo into the destroyer.

Who knew the IJN was using wolfpack techniques..? Not very cricket, old man. :(

The subs at PM must be removed.

And in a bout of frustration, I sent an S-boat into the Shortlands, only to have it spotted, hit, and neatly chased out of town. The one saving grace is that is was a Val that did the damage - tipping his CV location to me (unless that sneaky IJN commander based his aircraft at SL).

The "bombardment" continues from the invaders - however I am completely baffled as to why. My own aerial bombardment was more successful, with 30 casualities on the ground and only one plane damaged.

Plans continue to formulate and be changed or even discarded... hair gets a a bit greyer, and another bottle of Pepto-Bismal is opened. :(

Isn't command wonderful? :p

More to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

I got the Sims

Post by Philwd »

I got the Sims. That's what you get for chasing our subs on humanitarian missions.

The Vals at Shortlands are part of Shok's airgroup left behind:D . Very experienced and seem to do very well at ASW. Come visit again you hear.

I can only hope Tippacanoe burns and burns. She is probably too close to Noumea to sink.

Our troops are getting thier tans on the beaches of PM. Fatigue is down and the troops are recovering.

Lost another of the PM invasion force transports. Condor did quite a number on them. The reinforcements are on the way.

Now where is Operation Funhouse going...hand me those Tums.

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Operation Funhouse scores...

Post by Attack Condor »

Operation Funhouse is a thrust straight up north into the Solomon Sea - more of a recon in force than anything else.... thinking that the IJN staff would have their transports swing east and south of the New Guinea Rose trying to get his forces into PM. To that end, Yorktown and an escort of 5 destroyers sailed from Noumea. I kept the force small and set all aircraft to Stand Down to prevent any accidental spotings from aircraft from giving away my position.

Approaching the "line of death" from GG to Lunga, I set the SBDs to 20% search, and found a gold mine at Lunga :)

As a result of combat and search results, a battleship TF was discovered at Lunga containing the battleships Kirishima and Mutsu.

And no air cover :D

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/29/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack near Rabaul at 21,28

Allied Ships
SS Greenling


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 170th Regiment, at 10,40


Allied aircraft
P-400 Airacobra x 10


Allied aircraft losses
P-400 Airacobra x 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 11


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 38,40


Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 15
SBD Dauntless x 30


Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 19 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 2
DD Shikinami, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Asagiri, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Lunga at 38,40

Allied Ships
SS S-44


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7996 troops, 76 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 24287 troops, 267 guns, 0 vehicles



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My SBDs did attack from long range, and did get chewed up. The destroyer Asagiri was sunk immediately following the attack. I would have liked a second attack to follow up, but apparently the SBDs had too far to travel.

Also reported were two CVs at the IJN base at the Shortlands.

The submarine recon of the three major ports almost ended in disaster, when both Greenling and S-44 were spotted before being able to make any attacks.

While the airstrikes could have been more successful in damaging the battleship, I'll definitely take my winnings and get out of Dodge. 1 destroyer sunk and 1 battleship with scratched paint (and 1 AA gun destroyed) for 1 SBD lost is a fair trade in my book.

See you later Quark :D Look for me soon again in a port near you ;)

More (I'm sure) to come..... :)
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

GGGRRR

Post by Philwd »

Timing is everything. I stayed one more turn at Lunga to unload the last 500 supplies. My big CV TF was 1 turn from an ambush.

At least only 1 DD sunk. Nothing else had more than piant scratches. When I saw the SBD scouts my jaw dropped. I had thought Operation Funhouse was going to be a SC run to Lunga. Thus the BB force waiting.

Condor had seen the Vals from Shok at Shortlands last turn so I figured he thought my CVs were there. Actually it was a couple CVLs with my main force moving up into position. Darn. He'll scoot away now.

One of these turns I'll get the timing right.

Operation MO about to start.

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

End of May, 1942

Post by Attack Condor »

May 1942 ends with the Allies having fended off the takeover of New Guinea and with most of their navy intact. Today's combat results, then some thoughts on the month...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/31/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on 16th Naval Garrison Unit, at 9,39


Allied aircraft
P-400 Airacobra x 10
P-39D Airacobra x 21


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 8


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Lea Lea

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1376 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 165 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 8


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's combat involves the Kanga force attacking the IJN blocking force at Lea Lea. Now that the fortifications are caved in, I expect to link up with PM very shortly.

What is not listed, however is yet another example of Lady Luck still wearing Allied colors :)

Yorktown, on her way back to Noumea set her SBDs to ASW to assist with the TBDs already performing that function. From over 100 miles away, an SBD from Yorkie spotted, attacked and claimed a hit on an unidentified submarine in Noumea. Radio intercepts later in the day confirm the intruder was the IJN submarine I-24.

Finally, my transports at Station Rose (aka GG) had been reported as being spotted by IJN avaition. The famed Rhesus drew scrutiny as 3 Mavis sightings identified her by name. My fighters wanted to chase after the recon planes, but the CAP director held them in position.

Battleship sightings were numerous last turn, with 4 of them reported to be in the Shortlands by the coastwatchers, and one spotted by a PBY pilot at Woodlark island. Whether or not all of them are battleships is debatable, but something is out there.

I await the invaders. I am confident of my defense, but not so much as to rest on my laurels. Plans continue to be made :), and an especially insidious one is taking shape in my mind even as I type this entry into the log.........

Anyway, as to the heart of the matter - the score at the end of the first month has the IJN leading 4162 - 3030. 13 IJN ships have been sunk, compared to only 10 Allied ships destroyed - but the value of the Allied shipping sunk was greater with 110 points of IJN shiping gone compared to 155 points of Allied shipping.

The IJN has lost more ground forces than the Allied to date.

All in all, I would have to rate May, 1942 as a success for the Allies. The IJN carrier Shokaku was damaged and hasn't been seen in theater, while both Yorktown and Lexington still sail :)

June 1942 is here. I'm sure it will be as exciting as May was :)

(btw, thanks to everyone for their comments to the AAR, nice to have the additions and thoughts from like-minded people :D)

More to come......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

June begins with the recapture of Lea Lea and something very curious indeed....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/01/42

Weather: Clear

Sub attack at 21,29

Japanese Ships
AG 2050, Shell hits 8, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Greenling, Shell hits 4


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 16th Naval Garrison Unit, at 9,39


Allied aircraft
P-400 Airacobra x 10
P-39D Airacobra x 21
P-40E Kittyhawk x 7


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 44


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Buna , at 12,38


Allied aircraft
P-40E Kittyhawk x 11


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Buna , at 12,38


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Lea Lea

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 1382 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 121 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Lea Lea base !!!


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 8


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later in the day, a PBY pilot spotted an aircraft carrier steaming south of Luganville. Acompanying her the report said were 3 cruisers and a destroyer. Intelligence surmises the probable intentions:

(1) The TF is a bombardment group, and probably 1 or even 2 of the cruiser sightings are battleships sailing with a carrier full of fighters.

(2) The TF is an Air Combat TF, (again, a CVL packed with Zeroes) and an unseen CV group trails them. This "Red Herring" tactic is a favorite of the IJN.

(3) The TF is part of a feint, drawing my attention away from New Guinea.

Whatever it is, the IJN must be made to understand entry into my waters is a dangerous move. Does the IJN Admiral value the lives of his sailors so little that he would waste them on a gamble such as this? And the infantry units on Port Moresby - waiting for relief - must be gladdened by their compatriots' actions in the Solomon Sea while they wait for their fate to be determined.

More to come...
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Still lucky.......

Post by Attack Condor »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/02/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack near Basilaki Island at 18,42

Japanese Ships
SS I-21, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
AK Rhesus, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Woodlark Island , at 22,39


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
B5N Kate x 18

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Titania, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Alcyone, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bellatrix, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Fomalhaut


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd post today's results first...some strange goings on by the IJN :confused:

First of all, his sub I-21 surfaces to attack Rhesus and gets his damage in - but a shot from the wounded cargo ship apparently hit a vital spot. HMAS (is that correct?) Rhesus - defiant to the end!! (why in the world would a IJN sub atack on the surface in the daylight?? Not that I'm complaining, mind you :) )

Secondly, the TF penetrating the SOPAC area of operations is now listed as a 3 CV TF, and they did some damage to my AKs who were already in home port when they were attacked. No sinkings, - they'll have to be sent back to Pearl, that's for certain - but after this attack (made from 120 miles NNW of Noumea) I believe this was a trap set for the Yorktown (witness the lack of aircraft used in the attack on the transports). If it was, then it was for naught - as the carrier has transferred her aircraft to land bases in the SOPAC area. The CV TF got so close to Noumea that a Seagull spotted them and radioed their position before it was blown out of the sky by anti-aircraft fire. It was almost a no-lose proposition for the IJN, if they didn't bag a carrier, I'm sure they figured to carve a few of my transports up. The thunderstorms in the area probably added a bit to his fatigue.

I wonder if frustration is setting in with the IJN's inability to coax my carriers out of hiding. One has to wonder about this foray into enemy waters - what can be gained? I have ported any vessel I could that is of any worth to me. Damage can easily be repaired with the engineers, vehicles, and materials I have on hand. My fighters fly, but in the face of three carriers, I have imposed a stand down order on the 2 squadrons of Yorktown's SBDs. They'll assist with ASW. Of course, the IJN could try to LRCAP Noumea itself, but I don't think he'll risk leaving his carriers exposed this far south.

I think an S-boat or two should do the trick :).

An IJN sub was also sighted 30 miles SE of Noumea, but along with my airborne ASW operations is a ASW TF of sub chasers.

Luck has remained with the Allies this game. How long can the good fortune of the Allies continue?

We shall see.......... ;)

More to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

What the AARs don't show

Post by Philwd »

is my planes attacked his subs at least 7 times in the past 2 turns but no hits. Yes Lady Luck is still with the USN. Look at last turn's action

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/02/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack near Basilaki Island at 18,42

Japanese Ships
SS I-21, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
AK Rhesus, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Woodlark Island , at 22,39


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
B5N Kate x 18

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Titania, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Alcyone, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bellatrix, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Fomalhaut


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The attack on Noumea was sighted last turn. I decided to still attack to force the issue. I was looking for docked CVs. As I knew Yorktown had recently just returned and could still be in a TF I used my Kates on naval attack and my Vals on port attack.

Well as you can see I hit some AKs with the Kates but no port attack!! No CAP over the port. My recon showed 59 ships with 6 CVs tied up at berth. The setup doesn't get any better. So Operation MO ends with a minor victory. I must run as my air wings are very fatigued; not sure why after 1 attack. Plus only 1 carriers Kates flew. Why not the other 2? I must ponder this. Fatigue was <10 prior to the attack.

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Blowing up the blow-ups so they can be blown up

Post by Attack Condor »

59 ships in port?? 6 CVs?? Now it makes sense :). Good try Quark... I'm sure you'll be back :)

*** note to self: Write thank you letter to ACME Inflat-A-Navy Corporation. They worked great! ***

(As I told my esteemed opponent, I still have only the two CVs in theater, but help is on the way :) )
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

I figured the 6 CVs my excited 19 year old ensign sighted were 2-3 fleet carriers, Long island and maybe a AV or 2. Still worthwhile targets.

Make note to self to check weather in Noumea area before next carrier strike.:D

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

June 3, 1942

Post by Attack Condor »

In today's action, the sub chasers score a very big success on I-22 (who was sitting 30 miles SE of Noumea) recording the first confirmed IJN sub sinking of the campaign. Satisfied the enemy was negated, the guard dogs returned to harbor to await the next intruder who strays too close.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/03/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 52,68

Japanese Ships
SS I-22, Shell hits 5, on fire

Allied Ships
SC 643
SC 641


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 16th Naval Garrison Unit, at 11,39


Allied aircraft
P-40E Kittyhawk x 11


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sub was sunk by SC641. It was a nighttime action, so a second piece of good news resulting from the action is the increased night experience for the vessels.

Rhesus and Titania succumbed to their wounds before making it back to port.

I felt a special sadness for the loss of Rhesus as she was one of the key elements in getting Station Rose up and running. Without her actions, the engineers would have had no supplies to do their job.

She will be missed.

She will also be avenged.

More to come.....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

(Rest in) Peace and Quiet

Post by Attack Condor »

A quiet day, although nighttime action west of the Shortland Islands saw Greenling surface and sink two barges with deck gun fire. At least she didn't use any torpedoes :).

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/04/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack at 27,34

Japanese Ships
AG 115, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Greenling, Shell hits 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 27,34

Japanese Ships
AG 107, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Greenling


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After a day of rest during the thunderstorms, the FBs at Port Moresby are ready to inflict more damage on the enemy's ground forces.

In the east, troop rotations in/out of Luganville have been completed. Base construction and improvement continues.

It appears as though the IJN is resting, gaining his strength for another attack, but where? Battleships continue to be sighted in the Shortland base.

And another plan continues to form.......:)

More to come...
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Today's combat results:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/05/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 29,35

Japanese Ships
AO Sata

Allied Ships
SS Grenadier


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 16th Naval Garrison Unit, at 11,39


Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 17
P-400 Airacobra x 10
P-39D Airacobra x 42


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 9


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Greenling was attacked by a Nell again today, with no damage noted :)

Intelligence analysts point out the IJN oiler Sata was guarded only with patrol craft. The destroyers must be protecting something more valuable. Also, the lack of damage caused by my airstrike on the retreating force may be due to the rain, bad pilots, or just not enough men in the ground unit to hit. Whatever it is, a message has been sent to the IJN commander (who reads these entries for gimpses of the twisted mind running the Allies campaign :D).

We have deemed the 16th Naval Garrison Unit no longer represents a credible military unit. Their failed landings at what you refer to as Gili Gili, Port Moresby and subsequent retreat from Lea Lea show their families and ancestors they are more concerned with returning to their families while their comrades continue their own futile struggle. Go home "valiant conquerors". Go home to your families and be safe in their arms.

(Why is it that whenever I see a hornet's nest, and a stick... I just have to put 2 and 2 together? :p )

More (I'm sure) to come......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Keep it up guys, excellent AAR. Very informative and it helps to see your thinking. Being another AAR rookie I must admit to plagarizing something shocking. Hard to be completely original when you've got such great material to poach!
[center]
Image
[/center]
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Back in business...

Post by Attack Condor »

The past few days have been quiet as the IJN commander gathers his forces in an attempt to relieve his stranded units at PM. What was reported as his main CV strike force at the Shortland base has apparently sortied (decks full of fighters, no doubt).

The reinforcement of both New Guinea bases continues. Supplies and fresh troops are in place. Unfortunately, there was another casualty as the transport ship Katoomba was sunk by an IJN submarine in PM harbor.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/08/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-28, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
AP Katoomba, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Intelligence also today intercepted and decoded radio messages confirming the sinking of the IJN transport vessel Mogamigawa Maru in Rabaul.

To date, 15 IJN vessles have been sunk, compared to 13 Allied ships destroyed.

The radio waves are also full of the bluster of the Empire, about how the "day of reckoning" is at hand for the defenders of New Guinea. More than likely, the day is probably long on bluster and short on reckoning ;)

But, since we're making "predictions", try this one: tomorrow, the 9th of June, 1942; the Japanese invaders at Port Moresby will be given a lesson in the art of invasion.

No promises, no bluster, no boasts.....

Just fact.

More to come....

edited thanks to Wobbly and all the others with their compliments. They are appreciated. :)
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Today's combat report shows the seas around NZ are getting treacherous again.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/09/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack at 18,43

Japanese Ships
SS I-11, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DM Montgomery


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-28

Allied Ships
AP President Jackson, Torpedo hits 2, on fire


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 33


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 28,36

Japanese Ships
APD 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-40


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 18,44

Japanese Ships
SS I-3

Allied Ships
DM Montgomery, Torpedo hits 1, on fire


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early morning hours Montgomery was attacked by an IJN submarine (the I-11), but neatly turned the tables on the attacker, scoring three depth charge hits. Debris and oil were seen and the destroyer was credited with the kill.
Unfortunately, she did not get off without some damage herself, as a second sub in the area, the I-3 hit Montgomery with a torpedo before slipping away. Montogmery is wounded, but should be able to make port if she isn't harassed any further.

At PM, the troop transport ship President Jackson was torpedoed at PM as she raced into the harbor. She is out of action for a while, but still afloat :).

Meanwhile, near the Shortland IJN base, the US submarines score a kill of their own as the fast transport ship APD-1 dashed out of the Shortlands heading SSE when she was attacked and sunk by S-40.

Apparently, the IJN CVs are still at Shortland, sighted there today by the coastwatchers. APs have been sighted at Woodlark Island, but they're probably a ruse. If they move any further south, however; I'll cut the leash on the SBDs at Rose.

Radio intercepts have the IJN commander mentioning something about leaving Australia "stripped" and committing defenses forward to NZ - and him having to "see about that".

I hope he does. But I doubt it, he still has four infantry units at PM.

And speaking of which, the road to Buna is now closed. The Kanga force didn't go to PM, (I have too many troops there as it is) but instead it went north of PM, and is now sitting on the Kokoda trail. I don't know for sure, but I suspect his units at PM were drawing supply from Buna, the way Wau can draw supplies from PM. Now you have to get your supplies from your transports -- oops, I forgot; you don't have many more to spare, do you? ;)

Ship count to date has 18 IJN vessels sunk compared to 13 Allied vessels gone. The score of sunk shipping is tightening up, with the Allies now trailing by only 22 pts, 182 - 160.

More to come.......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

USN ASW is TOO GOOD!!

Post by Philwd »

Yikes even a DM is ripping my subs. 3 now laid up for >40% sys damage. Only good part is that got 3 more released:D

Closing Buna road was very clever. However I was not using the Kokoda for supply. My units all had >1000 supplies each when I went on the defensive.

I actually do have APs to spare now. Got over 50 in the last 3 weeks. How many units can that transport?

I am worried about the HUGE buildup at PM. I suspect to see a fort level of at least 6 given he has 3-5 eng units(depending on which recon to believe). Condor has at least 3 inf units now.

Too many darn thunderstorm turns has put back my plans for an air campaign. I ran one turn and lost 6 Zeros in one squadron:( .

GG looks to have no inf at the moment but 2 AK TF are in harbor. Condor may just be rotating troops. Could he be evacuating??? Pretty please.

Solomons are quiet. Too quiet.

I want to thank Condor for keeping up such an excellent AAR even albeit one sided. Although it is hard to blame him given his success so far.

Now I wonder what size wrench he has up his sleeve?:D

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Time marches on....

Post by Attack Condor »

Today's combat results.....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/10/42

Weather: Rain

Air attack on Buna , at 12,38


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 5


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 170th Regiment, at 10,40


Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 18
P-400 Airacobra x 4
P-40E Kittyhawk x 11


Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway x 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 12


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Not too much happening, my aircraft at PM just staying in shape and not getting too rusty waiting for the storm that must surely (?) come...

Intelligence continues to pick up bits and pieces of information form IJN radio traffic about a "big operation"....... It has to be the relief of the forces at PM.

Doesn't it?

As far as to the location the IJN commander keeps referring t as "GG"... um, yeah...I'm evacuating, uh - huh... sure I am...:D

And congratulations on getting more supply ships...I'm sure you'll put them to good use.

Now, if you'll be good enough to send me a list of their names and/or numbers, I'll happily paint their names on a 1000 lb bomb of their very own :)

More to come.......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Now, if you'll be good enough to send me a list of their names and/or numbers, I'll happily paint their names on a 1000 lb bomb of their very own


Sure I'd be happy to if you would send me the names of your SBD pilots so I can paint them onto the sides of my Zeros.:D
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”