Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Pondering my defence in Indochina...just not happy, but I have to expose my troops to a fair amount of risk to buy time. Don't try this at home kids![:-]

I am definitely going to try and hold out longer in the x3 terrain to the west now...one thing I got going for me is the Allies have split their forces into 1/3...road to Raheng, road to Bangkok, Tavoy. If he would have left a large 6K AV force he would be shredding me (if he could keep it supplied).

Things are really getting quite scary there, but I suspect the American Navy will bring the hammer that really hurts to the PI soon. Dare he bypass Yap, etc and go straight for the PI? Ergh! Simply not strong enough and never will be.

I have accelerated some ships -- LSTs and should get them in two weeks. Nice little guys will help with the Island defence of Japan.

User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Certainly that isn't as good a 2x(30)[roughly 2 pts per day] fully repaired factories, but don't you get some research points out of that configuration and by the random dice gods, get at least 1 point of research per day?

Takes a fully repaired factory to accumulate research. No advantage for going over size 30, which makes the size 150 r&d factories I inherited particularly painful.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Allied plane losses thru Dec of 1943...the top losses.

How does that look?

Image
Attachments
allied plane losses.jpg
allied plane losses.jpg (323.21 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Dec 22, 1943

No night bombing.

I use a Sentai's of Oscars and one of George and one of Tojo IIcs on sweeps in Indochina/Burma. Nobody home for the George over Akyab, and the Oscars & IIcs nail 7 Hurricanes and 2 P38H for the loss on one plane.

Normally I wouldn't sweep with Oscars, but I picked LRCAP or Bleeding CAP areas and the Oscars overwhelmed the defenders.[:)]

Image
Attachments
oscar.jpg
oscar.jpg (139.36 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

The Georges' went first and nobody was home, over an airfield with 87 transports. The underwhelming flak doesn't save the day for the Allies, and over 11 transports are destroyed on the ground for no loss.

Pretty good! It is little raids like this that make my day!

Image
Attachments
betty.jpg
betty.jpg (229.98 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Chungking...bombed and bombarded again. The artillery destroys 11 combat squads and disable 20 more, best day ever. Attack tomorrow.

Tavoy is knocked down to forts 1, and will fall shortly. Bombardments on the dirt road to Raheng or Bangkok favor the Japanese again. But with Tavoy falling, it is definitely getting perilous. I will probably start pulling back into Uttaradit.

The CL/DD squadron encounters 10 or so PT boats at Car Nicobar, and 35% moonlight, and storms makes for a risky encounter where no ships were hit, just lots of ammo expended.[:(]

User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Allied plane losses thru Dec of 1943...the top losses.

How does that look?

Image

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not even 3 months of Hellcat production [:'(]. It's about what I'd expect to see, although his F4F losses are extremely high - perhaps because of the position you inherited in this game.

He's probably out of B-24D1's with those loss numbers. And his P-38H's have to be suffering as well. Those numbers are extremely high.

Have you looked to compare his losses to his total available airframes of a given type at any given point in the war? It looks like he has plenty of USN fighters and probably still plenty of P-40s, as well as P-47s. And plenty of SBD-5's and Helldivers, and TBFs. But some of his types have high losses, as I just said... sorry for repeating [:D].
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

The highlight bar on the Hellcat just happened to be there...really, I didn't even expect to have nailed that many.

Just curious, I have checked other AARs and can't find any that have Allied losses in general as heavy as this one, especially the British seem to have taken a beating.[:)]

I have checked Jocke's AAR, unfortunately he didn't really post a great game ending wrap up like Obvert did. Sorry Joc, Obvert won that battle.[:D]


The F4F losses are all me, they didn't make the list of top 20 plane losses when I took over although the P40E did with 400 gone.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Turn is away, and I misjudged one Inf Divisions arrival in Chungking by one day, so the next attack is tomorrow.[:(]

Bombarding Great Nicobar with a CL/DD force, looking to use my RO subs to plant mines at Marcus Island, moving troops etc., etc.

No real traps set up this turn, resting some fighter and bomber squadrons.

Allies have been quiet in the air...lately.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

In pursuing the idea of relative Allied plane losses, I hunted thru Joc's AAR to find something close...

I highlighted the Allied losses.

Image

My game I have downed 65 P40N5; 43 B25C; 0 Corsair II; 30 P51A; 12 F4U-1a; 135 P47D2; 632 Skytrains.
Attachments
alliedlossesjan44.jpg
alliedlossesjan44.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 297 times
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by JocMeister »

Yummy. P47s...[:D]
Image
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Yummy. P47s...[:D]

Here, does this bring back fond memories? Early 44.

Image
Attachments
corsairs.jpg
corsairs.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

I managed to find one screenshot where Joc had lost a total of 56 P38H in mid Dec...very close to my date.

I am at over 200, so Allies have suffered a fair amount of losses, but not to really critical planes like the P47 (which in truth I try to avoid).

This comparison to Obvert vs Jocke, just goes to show me how much more bloody the air war is going to get!!!! I need to plan accordingly.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Dec 23, 1943


No night bombing. I think I will try again.[8D]

The days starts of with the most pleasant of surprises, in fact, I thought the Iboat would miss, and I missed the chance to capture the torpedo striking home. Best of all, sinking sounds were immediately heard.

The plucky Iboat tried again, on the lone surviving Destroyer but missed, and now the Destroyer is out of ammo. What joy![:)]

Image
Attachments
sub.jpg
sub.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

The Allies are really resting their bombers in Indochina, this is what, the third or fourth day of no heavy bombing there. Something is afoot!

But, the IJNAF never rests, and for this day we pick Prome, which has souped up P40s flying cap. The Georges lay into them![:D]

I have to do a lot of this, to make up for the upcoming days where I will lose 1,000 planes and the Allies a dozen.[:D]

Akyab now has 60 Fighters stationed there protecting the transports, but 3 more Skytrains are written off as ops losses. Skytrain op losses are staggering high, just like in every game.

Image
Attachments
sweep.jpg
sweep.jpg (201.88 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Indochina, the current Main Event, but Luzon/Leyte/Samar/Iwo/Daito probably really are but since they are quiet, lots go to the action!

The Chiang Mai defenders are amazingly going to make it one more hex closer to Raheng, while all the infantry including the heroic, but battered, 33rd Divison (43AV left).[X(] Two Tank Regiments, who have lost all their tanks and now have a few support vehicles will get away from the British today..while some brave Air Force security squads will try to hold the British off for one more day when they will all exit.

With no massive air bombardment, well none at all, the Allies attack in the jungle rough terrain (or is jungle ridge can never remember). North of Bangkok, on the dirt road the IJA 2 Imperial Guards Division shuffles into position just in time, allowing the shaken 14th to assume a reserve position and during the Allied attack kill and disable twice the number Japan loses and we are still in good shape for the morrow, in fact the 14th rallies another 40 AV from the days respite.

At Tavoy, two Naval Guards (one SNLF), some artillery, engineers, and a base force throw off the efforts of Gardner's Horse and a Commonwealth division. I think I shall fly in some reinforcements to stymie him here longer.

The 1st Tank, the 1st RTA, the heavy 4th Div are all between the fighting and Bangkok. More troops trickling into the front, and also more trickling back from the front.

Dynamic times.

Image

All I can say is thank the lord for JR x3 terrain! If I can keep the supplies flowing forward, rotating units, I have a chance to hold for another 2 weeks. Getting those 14 units from Chiang Mai back will be a real help in January.
Attachments
tavoy.jpg
tavoy.jpg (218.37 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

The highlight bar on the Hellcat just happened to be there...really, I didn't even expect to have nailed that many.

Just curious, I have checked other AARs and can't find any that have Allied losses in general as heavy as this one, especially the British seem to have taken a beating.[:)]

I have checked Jocke's AAR, unfortunately he didn't really post a great game ending wrap up like Obvert did. Sorry Joc, Obvert won that battle.[:D]


The F4F losses are all me, they didn't make the list of top 20 plane losses when I took over although the P40E did with 400 gone.

Ah.

Well, when you picked up the game... he was fighting you pretty hard for Java with his CVs, right? With F4Fs...

In any case, can you show us the total air loss screen in Tracker? I'm curious to compare. My two Allied games are at 11/7/43 and 12/30/43 right now, so pretty similar. The pace of my losses between the two games has been like night and day - oddly, the Scen 1 has been higher pace while the Scen 2 has been much, much slower/lower. Bassackwards, right?
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

Total losses = pretty ugly!

I see that in Admiral Spruance's game in 1945 plane losses are fairly high, but within the parameters set by Joc vs Obvert.



Image
Attachments
totallosses.jpg
totallosses.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by Lowpe »

I was perusing my small AV Infantry groups, and came across the INA units which I mentioned in several posts when they started trickling in. They cost an amazing amount to purchase back if destroyed, so I put them as garrisons in Indochina and well, really forgot about them.

Now, I was thinking of airlifting one to Tavoy, but lo and behold all of them have morale in the 30's.[X(] I put them all on rest and will check back in on them again in a month.

I will send another Naval Guard, would like to fly in some Mtn Guns as well...maybe.

Coming to the end of 1943, and perhaps one of the most important things to check are sub upgrades for 1944! If you aren't careful, you could end up having a fleet of SSTs which are pretty much worthless. Sub upgrades turn universally off....to be dealt with by class later on.

I highlighted that part, because it is important to remember.[:)]



User avatar
koniu
Posts: 2763
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:19 pm
Location: Konin, Poland, European Union

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Total losses = pretty ugly!

I see that in Admiral Spruance's game in 1945 plane losses are fairly high, but within the parameters set by Joc vs Obvert.



Image

I look at my game with Docup. We achieve similar loses (+- few hundred) in July 44
So You game is much much bloodier in air.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”