The Zero's worst enemy was the P 38.

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
Admiral_Arctic
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:22 pm
Location: Nonamia

The Zero's worst enemy was the P 38.

Post by Admiral_Arctic »

The P 38 shot down more Zeros than any other fighter. It might have something to do with the numbers of Lightnings deployed. But the Lightning had many attributes superior to the Zero. Kittyhawks were already using zooming dive attacks. The Lightning's extra 100 mph provided a considerable edge. In the Pacific the air ops were at lower altittude than in Europe. The Pacific theatre was well suited to the Lightning's characteristics
I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.
User avatar
Fred98
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Wollondilly, Sydney

Post by Fred98 »

"The P 38 shot down more Zeros than any other fighter"

That may be true for the period December 1942 - August 1945.

But I am curious whether it is true for the period May 1942 - December 1943.
mandt
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:47 am

Post by mandt »

I know the F6F shot down more Japanese aircraft than any other Allied plane. In fact, maybe more than all the others combined (I'm not positive about that). I don't specifically know about Zeros.
Mike_B20
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Mike_B20 »

Well, according to this site,

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/backdoor.htm

the P38 shot down more Japanese planes than any other.


Great reference site btw :)
Never give up, never surrender
worr
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am

Post by worr »

Originally posted by mandt
I know the F6F shot down more Japanese aircraft than any other Allied plane.


The problem with USN planes is they weren't enjoined in the battle on a day to day basis like the USAAF. Yet the major air battles were at sea. Also , production wise, the P-38 wasn't as widly produced as the F6F. There were land based F6Fs also with the Marines.

The F6F did had a fantastic Kill to Death ratio also.

BTW...your first quote said zeros, not all Japanese aircraft. But I think the F6F had like 5,000 kills overall, and the P-38 has 3,000.

I dare say that web site, and most any web site, is a good source, since they are all quoting books. And I know which book they got the error from. I'll always give a web site a second look if they bother to list their sources, otherwise, all is suspect.

Worr, out
Mike_B20
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Mike_B20 »

Well, I like the style of the Daves Warbirds site, easy to navigate and each aircraft has multiple cross links for more detailed historical reading.

What data on the P38 was in error Worr?

I'm always on the lookout for great reference sites and would like to hear any that you would recommend Worr.
Never give up, never surrender
worr
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am

Post by worr »

Originally posted by Mike_B20
What data on the P38 was in error Worr?


"This American fighter shot down more Japanese planes than any other."

The above statement is from the web site.

Since the F6F is credited with over 5k, and the P38 with 3k well the math isn't that difficult. ;)

But I know where he got his mistake from...its a great book...but it begins with the same oversight. If you would say "more Japanese than any other USAAF aircraft it woudl be correct."

Mike there are tons of web sites out there, of course. Just do a search. But as a general rule, I like the one's that bother to list sources. At the very least, something about the individual who edits the web site, and who contributes, as well as a working e-mail for follow up.

Some of the better web sites focus on a few planes....while most they try to do broader reviews tend to be good at a few and bad with most.

Then again, it depends upon what you're looking for and what you want to do with the data. If you are just looking for giggles...don't sweat it. But for research, I keep a ten foot pole near my mouse. :)

If you are in the "just for giggles" here is one for starters:

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/

Go to his class room for lectures....and you'll see my video too. :)

Worr, out
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”