Casualties

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Casualties

Post by Kirk »

Can someone answer a question for me about casualties? I think I know the answer, but I'd just like to verify. Do the crews of tanks/AT guns/etc. get added to the list of men lost in the end game casualty report or is the crew considered inherent to the weapon? In other words, if I lose a tank is it counted as 1 AFV lost plus the 3 or 4 or 5 men or just one AFV? Thanks for everyones patience.
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

The crews of this equipment can bail out, and if I remember correctly, losing them adds to the score. In other words, you can lose a tank and not lose the crew.

I should know the answer to that one without question, but I'm sure Gmenfan or other SPWAW expert here does have that answer.
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
Orzel Bialy
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:39 am
Location: Wisconsin USA
Contact:

I might be wrong...

Post by Orzel Bialy »

but I believe you get scored against for both the lost AFV and whatever number of crew you lose additionally.

Guess I'll have to look that one up to make sure myself! ;)
Image
Hades
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Hades »

i think you can knock out a tank and get a kill then kill the crew then get another
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris


Image
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Casualties

Post by Kirk »

That would be my assumption, but you should also get those same kills if you kill the crew at the same time you knock out the tank. As an example, let's say I have two tanks as targets for an AT gun. Each tank has a four man crew. I knock out the first one and the crew escapes. I knock out the second one and they don't. I then kill the four man crew of the first tank. In the casualty report will it list 2 AFV's and 4 men or 2 AFV's and 8 men? I'd think it should be the latter. In both cases the crew was killed. Will my AT gun get credit for three or four kills? It should be four. I don't know of a way to get an "in game" casualty report to be able to see how it works.
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

Next time an ATG kills a tank with no crew survivors, check his 'Kills' on the unit information screen. I suspect that you get only the credit for the one kill, but the casualty screen at the end lists an AFV kill, and adds the four men to the men killed totals. So, a mix of the two, really.

Goblin
Irinami
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:12 am
Location: Florida, USA

Post by Irinami »

If you knock out the vehicle and the crew dies with it, your unit gets credit for one kill. I see this as entirely consistent. Why? You killed one unit. When you blasted the tank, you took the crew with it in one shot/volley. You will get credit for the crew if they are able to disembark and thus cause you to enter into another engagement.

If you follow the logic that killing the tank and crew in one shot/volley (for autocannon) should give you credit for the crew too, then it follows that every 18-man SNLF squad should count as 9 kills. 1 for the LMG team (2 men), 1 for the Mortar team (2 men), and 7 2-man recon teams. Since infantry units can't split up into these component parts, there's no chance for the LMG team to "bail out" of the infantry squad, so 1 kill.

That make sense?
Image

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb
Kirk
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 2:38 am

Casualties

Post by Kirk »

I'm interested in the question from two standpoints though. The first revolves around determining the number of victory points a player gets. I just think a player should get the same number of victory points if he kills a tank plus its crew as he would get if he killed the tank and then had to kill the crew later. Regarding kills as they impact experience points, it should be based on the number of kills. In other words, if I kill a tank and crew at the same time it should be one kill. If I kill the tank and then have to kill the crew later it should count as two kills. I'm just wondering if that's how it's done.
User avatar
Sturmpionier
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:50 pm
Location: Jennings, FL, USA

Re: Casualties

Post by Sturmpionier »

Originally posted by Kirk
Regarding kills as they impact experience points, it should be based on the number of kills. In other words, if I kill a tank and crew at the same time it should be one kill. If I kill the tank and then have to kill the crew later it should count as two kills. I'm just wondering if that's how it's done.


That is how kills are counted. However, afaik 'kills' does not bear on a unit's experience. The only two criteria I know are: # of battles; and how much the fire their weapons. Each unit gets a chance of exp points after each battle. Also, they get more if they shoot their weapons a lot. One inf squad can 'kill' an entire battalion in a battle, but if they use their spoon-bending telekenetic powers to do so they get no exp benefit. On the other hand, a unit that shoots up all of its ammo, kills or no, will probably get an exp bonus.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash
Irinami
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:12 am
Location: Florida, USA

Post by Irinami »

Ahhh, I see what you're saying, Kirk, and I'll do a test once I take my girlfriend to work. :D

1 Tiger II and 1 StUG something-huge-gunned vs. 1 M3A1 Halftrack loaded with 1 US HQ.

This will test:

Destroying vehicle, crew, and passengers in:

1 shot/engagement, 2 shots/engagements, and 3 shots/engagements.

EDIT:

Test was 2 38cm-armed StUG's and 2 Koenigstiger's vs. 2 of those gigantic 105mm Tank Destroyers the US has in '49 and 1 US HQ, and 2 M3 HT's.

Killed: 1HT w/crew. 1HT (which was carrying the HQ), then 2 members of HT crew and 1 member of HQ, for a total of 4 men from the first HT, 2 men from the second HT, and one man from the HQ... 7. I end the game there and what does the casualties report show?

US lost 10 men. :confused:
Image

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”