Message log concerns

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

anxiousbob
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Message log concerns

Post by anxiousbob »

Something that's always felt a bit odd to me is that the message log will always tell you the exact type of weapon or platform you're shooting at when it records the various die rolls. Even when the enemy does not appear type-classified on the map, paying attention to the message log gives you situational awareness you would not otherwise have.

Is it possible that we could have the message log throw out only "vampire #127" or whatever in the weapon endgame calculations unless properly identified (maybe as a toggleable option)?
ExNusquam
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

RE: Message log concerns

Post by ExNusquam »

Under message log options , you can disable all weapon end game messages. Beware, this is only slightly less infuriating than seeing that you rolled a one.
anxiousbob
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

RE: Message log concerns

Post by anxiousbob »

I do like to see the die rolls, just not always what exactly all of my ESSM are rolling 100s against.
thewood1
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

RE: Message log concerns

Post by thewood1 »

So you want all the information, but not all the information?
Rongor
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:35 am
Contact:

RE: Message log concerns

Post by Rongor »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

So you want all the information, but not all the information?
No. Read again what he wrote.
thewood1
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

RE: Message log concerns

Post by thewood1 »

My point is that someone wants all the detail of the combat, yet wants to parse out the unit type. That is being pretty nit-picky. I don't see the point of watching "die-rolls", yet complaining about being able to see the unit type. You either want to sandbox it or play with the tools and info you would have in RL. Asking to select and choose specific small pieces of information seems crazy to me.
Rongor
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:35 am
Contact:

RE: Message log concerns

Post by Rongor »

I might be crazy to you, so how does your opinion help here?
OP has a desire which can be served. No reason to judge him. At least I didn't see anybody asking you to do so. So why don't you just keep out of this "crazy" issue? Please do so.
Casinn
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:12 am

RE: Message log concerns

Post by Casinn »

I also wouldn't mind having the die roll for an unidentified unit specify that it was an unidentified unit, but only if it's an easy change for Sunburn.

Sometimes it's very nice to have your miss "ID" the target for you, however.
mikmykWS
Posts: 7185
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:34 pm

RE: Message log concerns

Post by mikmykWS »

I'll add a request.

Mike
anxiousbob
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

RE: Message log concerns

Post by anxiousbob »

Thanks Mike!

mikmykWS
Posts: 7185
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:34 pm

RE: Message log concerns

Post by mikmykWS »

No prob. We get it[:)]
ComDev
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 1:20 pm
Contact:

RE: Message log concerns

Post by ComDev »

Okay this one ended up in my lap... [8D]

It should probably be mentioned that end game calcs were not really supposed to be there, visible to the player. Dimitris added it when he built the weapon model and the testers loved it, so it became a 'standard feature' that is turned on by default rather than requiring the player to activate it manually.

The whole idea ia to give detailed info about weapon engagements. If you think the log gives too much info to be realistic, I would say the best option is turning it off altogether. A hybrid solution sounds weird.
Image

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
thewood1
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

RE: Message log concerns

Post by thewood1 »

Exactly my thoughts...it sounds very boardgame-ish to me.
anxiousbob
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

RE: Message log concerns

Post by anxiousbob »

I like boardgame-ish things... but I can certainly live with the log the way it is right now. I'll try playing a scenario with it off and see how that goes, but I feel like I'd miss some info I should otherwise have that way, like how many missiles are being expended against something without effect even when my map is not focused on where the engagement is.
Thanks for your time emsoy!
tmammela
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:12 am

RE: Message log concerns

Post by tmammela »

Most of the log information is very nice, I like being able to see how the weapon calculations are made. The problem is, that sometimes it gives away too much information. I would suggest two (three settings): cheat log (show all information), realistic log (don't show information you should not have, like exact type of enemy platform if you haven't acquired that information from your sensors), and log off.
thewood1
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

RE: Message log concerns

Post by thewood1 »

Isn't that currently possible? How many more options do you want it have? There what; 20-30 options now.
tmammela
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:12 am

RE: Message log concerns

Post by tmammela »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Isn't that currently possible? How many more options do you want it have? There what; 20-30 options now.

Please show me, where I can find this setting? I can only turn logs on or off.
p1t1o
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

RE: Message log concerns

Post by p1t1o »

ORIGINAL: tmammela

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Isn't that currently possible? How many more options do you want it have? There what; 20-30 options now.

Please show me, where I can find this setting? I can only turn logs on or off.

Its not really currently possible, yes there are myriad options you can turn on/off but the nature or quality of the information cannot be altered. I think the devs position is that since a lot of the log data is essentially an added bonus that wasn't really planned, effort might be better spent on other aspects of the sim. Some folk, who are happy with what is there and don't really need anything else, might assume that it is of course perfect and should satisfy everybody.

If it was a planned part of the project I think things like missile identity would be more considered, as it stands I'm happy to have them work on other things, it would be a nice-to-have, but not essential.

Personally I think that the log can be very verbose, and when more than a few units are engaged, the log can scroll quite furiously, leaving it almost useless.

If I could change the log in only one way, I'd change that.
thewood1
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

RE: Message log concerns

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: tmammela

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Isn't that currently possible? How many more options do you want it have? There what; 20-30 options now.

Please show me, where I can find this setting? I can only turn logs on or off.

Pg 35 in the manual
tmammela
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:12 am

RE: Message log concerns

Post by tmammela »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Pg 35 in the manual

Did you even read my post? You are not talking about the same thing.
Post Reply

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”