OT Pet Peeves
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: OT Pet Peeves
O.K...Pet peeve and truth in advertising....A certain over the counter stomach acid relief tablet lauds the fact it contains calcium...O.K., problem is, the calcium NEEDS stomach acid to break it down over time....and the tablet itself fights that very stomach acid so 100% of that calcium is wasted!!..
(Got this from Consumer Reports magazine which I have read religiously since high school.)
(Got this from Consumer Reports magazine which I have read religiously since high school.)

- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I have a stereo set that I haven't used in decades, every component was vetted with Consumer Reports mags. Good quality but cheapish.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Here's another. Are we tired yet of the ads that say name the drug, usually a "fat burner" takes CVS by storm?
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Is this what is called "Gruberism"?ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3
The simple fact is that people are stupid and fall for this pseudo science nonsense, which is why advertisers charge for them, firms pay for them and we as consumers actually pay for our own stupidity.
Roger
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Well I'll tell you what works for me.


- Attachments
-
- urodonal.jpg (232.79 KiB) Viewed 541 times
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: m10bob
O.K...Pet peeve and truth in advertising....A certain over the counter stomach acid relief tablet lauds the fact it contains calcium...O.K., problem is, the calcium NEEDS stomach acid to break it down over time....and the tablet itself fights that very stomach acid so 100% of that calcium is wasted!!..
(Got this from Consumer Reports magazine which I have read religiously since high school.)
Not only that it is calcium carbonate which is a form of calcium the body can't really absorb very well.
Consumer Reports is a good source of information for these sorts of things. I haven't been as avid a reader, but we often turn to it when researching a major purchase.
Bill
WIS Development Team
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
It's a good thing the bosch didn't throw uric acid at the allies instead of chlorine.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: wdolson
ORIGINAL: m10bob
O.K...Pet peeve and truth in advertising....A certain over the counter stomach acid relief tablet lauds the fact it contains calcium...O.K., problem is, the calcium NEEDS stomach acid to break it down over time....and the tablet itself fights that very stomach acid so 100% of that calcium is wasted!!..
(Got this from Consumer Reports magazine which I have read religiously since high school.)
Not only that it is calcium carbonate which is a form of calcium the body can't really absorb very well.
Consumer Reports is a good source of information for these sorts of things. I haven't been as avid a reader, but we often turn to it when researching a major purchase.
Bill
When it first came out, the idea behind the mag was to allow actual consumers to have their own forum to voice how they felt about products.
Somebody once said the best form of advertising was "word of mouth". I strongly agree with this notion and I know it has sure helped Matrixgames over the years...Quality products, quality people...
When Wrigley gum was the biggest seller of chewing gum in the world, Mr Wrigley himself was asked why he maintained an entire advertising department with continuous advertising campaigns?
Mr Wrigley responded that "it did not matter how good of a product you made, if you did not keep it in front of the public's eye, they would soon leave you for whoever did."(or words to that effect)..
Again, I strongly feel "word of mouth" and the consumers voice are oh,so important..

- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Good example of truth in advertising (i'm not sure the year)...


- Attachments
-
- cope.gif (322.26 KiB) Viewed 541 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: wdolson
ORIGINAL: m10bob
O.K...Pet peeve and truth in advertising....A certain over the counter stomach acid relief tablet lauds the fact it contains calcium...O.K., problem is, the calcium NEEDS stomach acid to break it down over time....and the tablet itself fights that very stomach acid so 100% of that calcium is wasted!!..
(Got this from Consumer Reports magazine which I have read religiously since high school.)
Not only that it is calcium carbonate which is a form of calcium the body can't really absorb very well.
Consumer Reports is a good source of information for these sorts of things. I haven't been as avid a reader, but we often turn to it when researching a major purchase.
Bill
Consumer Reports is a useful resource for major purchases of home goods. My problem with it is that it oversteps its knowledge base as a consumer product tester at times. Forays into science and its (mis)treatment of some medical professionals had me cancel my subscription years ago. If I really need to know what dryer to buy, we'll go the public library to research it rather than get another subscription.

- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: wdolson
ORIGINAL: m10bob
O.K...Pet peeve and truth in advertising....A certain over the counter stomach acid relief tablet lauds the fact it contains calcium...O.K., problem is, the calcium NEEDS stomach acid to break it down over time....and the tablet itself fights that very stomach acid so 100% of that calcium is wasted!!..
(Got this from Consumer Reports magazine which I have read religiously since high school.)
Not only that it is calcium carbonate which is a form of calcium the body can't really absorb very well.
Consumer Reports is a good source of information for these sorts of things. I haven't been as avid a reader, but we often turn to it when researching a major purchase.
Bill
Consumer Reports is a useful resource for major purchases of home goods. My problem with it is that it oversteps its knowledge base as a consumer product tester at times. Forays into science and its (mis)treatment of some medical professionals had me cancel my subscription years ago. If I really need to know what dryer to buy, we'll go the public library to research it rather than get another subscription.
The public library? All that'll get you is some rope and clothespins. Are you using one of these too? Let me see your moonshine still.

- Attachments
-
- washboard500x500.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 537 times
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Let me see your moonshine still.
Nice try, revenuer! You go sniffin' 'round for my still, you'se likely to be chased out by some buckshot. [spits at spittoon].

- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Let me see your moonshine still.
Nice try, revenuer! You go sniffin' 'round for my still, you'se likely to be chased out by some buckshot. [spits at spittoon].
I was born in West Virginee, don't take on no airs with me. Actually one of my ancestors was a revenuer. He lived to be fairly old but died in a gunfight with a West Virginian or Pennsylvanian (I forget which) distillery magnate who favored suspenders and toe holes for the toes to breathe.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Oh, I forgot. One of my paternal aunts used the word "warsh". As in Warshington DC, warsh the clothes, warsh your hands before dinner. Those were the days. I remember that one time she took me to the airport (at Wheeling I think) and there had been a cicada efflorescence, I couldn't take a step on the tarmac without crunching some. I lived in Pittsburgh at that time and believe I flew on a DC-3. I remember having to use one of the barf bags. I remember a man I didn't know trying to help me out a little. I remember a lot of men were still wearing Stetsons.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I cringe when people say "warsh". My mother was a grammar nazi.
I have a friend who says as a teen he transported untaxed alcoholic beverages in Alabama. He had a 50s Chevy with the back seat replaced with a tank and an emergency dump valve. He could dump the entire load on the road at any time.
One time he got chased and the local sheriff ended up stranded in the middle of a corn field with the owner of the corn field standing over him with a shotgun. After that the local judge gave him the choice of jail or the military. He was sure his uncle owned that judge, and wondered what was going on. Later he learned his mother had a discussion with the uncle and convinced him to get out of the transport business.
This was the early 60s. He was still in the Air Force when Vietnam got going and ended up in theater. He was technically a non-combatant, but got three purple hearts in six weeks. After the third one, he took an opportunity to get out and do something more laid back.
Bill
I have a friend who says as a teen he transported untaxed alcoholic beverages in Alabama. He had a 50s Chevy with the back seat replaced with a tank and an emergency dump valve. He could dump the entire load on the road at any time.
One time he got chased and the local sheriff ended up stranded in the middle of a corn field with the owner of the corn field standing over him with a shotgun. After that the local judge gave him the choice of jail or the military. He was sure his uncle owned that judge, and wondered what was going on. Later he learned his mother had a discussion with the uncle and convinced him to get out of the transport business.
This was the early 60s. He was still in the Air Force when Vietnam got going and ended up in theater. He was technically a non-combatant, but got three purple hearts in six weeks. After the third one, he took an opportunity to get out and do something more laid back.
Bill
WIS Development Team
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: wdolson
I cringe when people say "warsh". My mother was a grammar nazi.
Bill
Warsh warsh warsh warsh warsh. Okay, this is now a moderator free zone. We can do whatever we want!
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: wdolson
I cringe when people say "warsh". My mother was a grammar nazi.
I have a friend who says as a teen he transported untaxed alcoholic beverages in Alabama. He had a 50s Chevy with the back seat replaced with a tank and an emergency dump valve. He could dump the entire load on the road at any time.
One time he got chased and the local sheriff ended up stranded in the middle of a corn field with the owner of the corn field standing over him with a shotgun. After that the local judge gave him the choice of jail or the military. He was sure his uncle owned that judge, and wondered what was going on. Later he learned his mother had a discussion with the uncle and convinced him to get out of the transport business.
This was the early 60s. He was still in the Air Force when Vietnam got going and ended up in theater. He was technically a non-combatant, but got three purple hearts in six weeks. After the third one, he took an opportunity to get out and do something more laid back.
Bill
+1...Oh yeah.....I cringe when I listen to sports figures being interviewed who cannot speak English. Supposed to have been to college and use the word "warsh"...."axe"(instead of ask)....the phrase "you know" as a sentence filler every 5th word.....etc..
Pet peeves...Oh...I think we are just getting started......[X(]





