USN Fast Transport

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
osullmi
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:56 am
Location: Iran

USN Fast Transport

Post by osullmi »

I am a bit befuddled.

Twice, now, I have tried to use DD FT from Cairns/Cooktown to resupply PM early in the game, settign the TFs to "retirement allowed". Unfortunately, both times the TF used both impulses to get to PM and spent the entire day there getting pasted by IJN LBA.

As IJN, the FTs always wait offshore and sneak in at night and ar(hopefully) out of range by the time the air combat phase arrives.

Am I missing something?
Mine eyes have seen the glory
Of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage
Where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning
Of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Sonny »

Nope, you are not missing anything. It happens too regularly when you are going to a base you own. Never seen it happen when you are going to an enemy base you are trying to take.

I have had tons of ships and men go to the bottom because my fast transports stuck around all day at Irau and got creamed by aircraft from Lunga.

:(
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
worr
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am

Post by worr »

Is it possible you put their home port as PM?

Worr, out
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Post by CapAndGown »

There is a problem with the system in deciding when the sprint in/sprint out function is needed. If you own the base and the program decides that there is no danger, then it does not use the sprint in/sprint out function. I have lost several ships because of this.
User avatar
Drex
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Chico,california

Post by Drex »

So is there a solution?
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

Post by spence »

I'm still learning the game but think if you give the FTTF a destination of a sea hex about 100 miles South of Port Moresby with patrol/do not retire orders initially then change the destination to Port Moresby after the first day out of Townsville/Cooktown to Port Moresby the ships might sprint in and out during the night.
My experience is that air attacks on ships other than carriers at sea South of New Guinea are fairly rare.
User avatar
denisonh
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Upstate SC

Post by denisonh »

I think there is something to do with the AI making the assessment there is no danger. In an ongoing PBEM game, I can no longer use Fast Transport at a couple of bases because they no longer "sail in, drop off, sail out". I have lost more ships than I care to because of this (yea, that's your boys Worr).

I have seen this as a recurring theme since I started playing in July of last year.

It would be nice to know at what point the FT doesn't work, as it would save a lot of lost ships.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
SoulBlazer
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Providence RI

Post by SoulBlazer »

In a recent fast transport move I had four fleets all moving at the same speed and thus in the same hex. To my surprise, on one day two TF's stayed where they were while the other two raced in, grabbed troops, and raced out. The next day the other two did the same thing. Weird.
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

How was their fuel states? None had to do a small refuel first di they - I have been caught there
[center]
Image
[/center]
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Sonny »

Originally posted by denisonh
I think there is something to do with the AI making the assessment there is no danger. In an ongoing PBEM game, I can no longer use Fast Transport at a couple of bases because they no longer "sail in, drop off, sail out". I have lost more ships than I care to because of this (yea, that's your boys Worr).

I have seen this as a recurring theme since I started playing in July of last year.

It would be nice to know at what point the FT doesn't work, as it would save a lot of lost ships.


In the turn I just sent you this happened to two of my fast transport TFs. Both started at Rabaul with full fuel. One went to Buna and the other to Lae - neither a long trip. Yet both were there still unloading during daylight hours (nothing had been unloaded but the indicator said unloading). Fortunately your bombers could not find the TF at Buna.

I have also had fast transport TF sit at Irau and the indicator said they were idle (this was another game where I was Allies). I had to click the unload cargo button to get them to unload. Foolishly that is what I did instead of turning them back - and the got smashed from Vals and Kates from Lunga.:(
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”