Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]April 26th-27th[/font]
______________________________________________________________________________

Renewed bombings and a big rivercrossing.

------------------------
NORPAC
------------------------

KB moves even further south and launches another big sweep over Seattle. Skies are empty though. But this time the bombers come too. Over two days the allied suffer 78 lost VPs for only 11 planes shot down. Not good. Despite the relatively low altitude the AA does worse then expected. Not sure why.

------------------------
China
------------------------

Big crossing at Paoshan. Japanese bombers have pounded the defender during the last week. So its no big surprise. Good result considering the circumstances.

Ground combat at Paoshan (65,45)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 19036 troops, 183 guns, 64 vehicles, Assault Value = 583

Defending force 18645 troops, 101 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 711

Japanese adjusted assault: 524

Allied adjusted defense: 865

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)

Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
2790 casualties reported
Squads: 65 destroyed, 149 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 23 (4 destroyed, 19 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
435 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
143rd Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
55th Engineer Regiment
55th Mountain Gun Regiment
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion


Defending units:
51st Chinese Corps
3rd New Chinese Corps
5th Chinese Corps

Will be a while before he will grind it down. Another Panzerattack on the Ankang road. I think we will fall in the next attack and with that all of central China.

------------------------
India
------------------------

Japanese main army reaches Comilla. Looks like they are spreading out. Some moving due East towards Dimapur and Ledo and some NW towards Calcutta. Very interesting. [:)] Allied main army is sitting undetected at Silchar. All troops are in strat mode and ready to move either way depending on where Jeff goes.

Most of the troops fleeing Burma will get out. Most of them have just reached Dimapur and will rail out in two turns. Some battalions, an Indian BDE and some BFs fleeing Warazup won´t get out in time though. They will try and hide somewhere and await the liberation.

I´ve lost contact with the MKB. They are not on the Burma coast any longer and not sitting at Rangoon. I have a Japanese SCTF sitting at Chittagong though. Not sure what it is besides showing "CAs" and DDs. An allied CL force is prowling in the area looking for prey.



Image
Attachments
India10.jpg
India10.jpg (614.07 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Image
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by Canoerebel »

I don't think there's any chance of Lowpe getting AV. Or, I should say, there's no way for him to get it, but there is probably a way you could give it to him. Meaning: if an Allied player got rattled and ended up feeding assets piecemeal into a meatgrinder, he could give an IJ player alot of victory points. But you're too experienced for that. :)

When I was defending CONUS against Panzerjager Hortlund (a very good player), I had my carriers loitering well to the SW of California. I think from time to time I flew F4F squadrons to CONUS to bolster my defences. With the USN fighter replacement rates being a little more friendly, this seemed to work well. It's a bit of a juggling act, though, and of course you need plenty of breathing room (separation from KB) to make that possible.

Good luck.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by ny59giants »

Mini-KB: Look for them at Port Blair. I usually have subs off that base as many Japanese players use it for their warships in this theater.
[center]Image[/center]
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I don't think there's any chance of Lowpe getting AV. Or, I should say, there's no way for him to get it, but there is probably a way you could give it to him. Meaning: if an Allied player got rattled and ended up feeding assets piecemeal into a meatgrinder, he could give an IJ player alot of victory points. But you're too experienced for that. :)

When I was defending CONUS against Panzerjager Hortlund (a very good player), I had my carriers loitering well to the SW of California. I think from time to time I flew F4F squadrons to CONUS to bolster my defences. With the USN fighter replacement rates being a little more friendly, this seemed to work well. It's a bit of a juggling act, though, and of course you need plenty of breathing room (separation from KB) to make that possible.

Good luck.

Thank you for the confidence. I´ll try to live up to it! [:D]

While I don´t have any CV squadrons on the WC I do have a couple of USMC squadrons flying Kittens. While they won´t change the tide of war it is as you point out good to relieve some pressure off the USAAF pools.
ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Mini-KB: Look for them at Port Blair. I usually have subs off that base as many Japanese players use it for their warships in this theater.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I´ll take a peak at it next turn. [:)]

PS. I´ll try to respond to your email sometime during this week. Time is...lacking. [:(]
Image
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

Managed two turns tonight but no time for an update.

The coming two turns could turn out to be very interesting if things work out.
Image
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]April 28th-29th[/font]
______________________________________________________________________________

Strangely quiet.

------------------------
NORPAC
------------------------

Nothing happening here. No bombings for the last 4 days. KB returns to Coal Harbor. 200 Allied fighter are waiting for the right opportunity.

------------------------
Luzon
------------------------

Aaarghh. Tearing my hair here as I lose a 3rd sub at Manila. The AI disbands them in port due to damage instead of just refueling them. They are then stuck for 3 days and sunk by Jeff. [:@]

Japanese forces have reached Clark field. SIGINT are showing forces moving for Atimonan. Trying to get some troops and CD guns there but I don´t know how much time I have.

------------------------
China
------------------------

Hehe. Not often you get something positive from China as the allies. But this was pretty fun... [:)]
Ground combat at Lanchow (81,34)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 40473 troops, 315 guns, 35 vehicles, Assault Value = 1258

Defending force 31081 troops, 181 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1040

Japanese adjusted assault: 1096

Allied adjusted defense: 1143

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
8893 casualties reported
Squads: 350 destroyed, 334 disabled
Non Combat: 56 destroyed, 135 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 28 disabled
Guns lost 101 (33 destroyed, 68 disabled)


Allied ground losses:
761 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 213 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 23 (1 destroyed, 22 disabled)


Assaulting units:
12th Indpt Infantry Regiment
13th Indpt Infantry Regiment
11th Indpt Infantry Regiment
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
27th Division
26th Engineer Regiment
Mongol Garrison Army
21st AA Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment


Defending units:
3rd Chinese Corps
34th Chinese Corps
82nd Chinese Corps
8th Chinese Base Force
10th Chinese Base Force


Guess it will be a while before his Northern force will be useful again. 80 Allied VPs. Nice. [:)]

Ankang road holds off another attack. Next one won´t though.

------------------------
India
------------------------

Allied ground troops abandon everything south of Calcutta. Japanese armor is moving to cut the line and I don´t dare risk being caught off. I´ll have to try and gather more intel on Japanese forces before I´ll decide if I should counter attack or not.

An allied fleet is probing the Burma coast. Looks like the SCTF at Chittagong may be a smaller CL force. Either that or Jeff is mixing in CLs with CAs. I have a similar TF at Akyab but no idea what it really is. Sent in a sub there too to try and find out.

Goal with this OP is to try for some easy sinkings gaining some VPs and possibly open up for some bombardments of Chittagong. Have to be careful of LBA though. Netties based in Central Burma and Rangoon(?) have been hitting Paoshan recently. I´ll move closer to the coast and see if I can spring a surprise.

Image
Attachments
India11.jpg
India11.jpg (471.98 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Image
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by Lokasenna »

Not sure why he is shock attacking so much in China. It's a lot of risk for little gain relative to a deliberate attack. Japanese troops outclass the Chinese by so much that there are 2 options, really:

1) Chinese troops are in poor supply and therefore usually poor condition. You don't need to shock here, just deliberate. Eventually the Chinese run out of places to fall back to, so bagging more on the front end is not really necessary.

2) Chinese troops have supply and are therefore usually in better condition (with forts). Shocking here is risky, as if you get bad odds you'll get shot up, as has happened to him twice here. Granted, you had a negative supply modifier show up, but I'd bet you weren't out of supply (it only has to be 1 unit for it to show up in the combat text). The IJA may as well just do a deliberate attack, which has a decent chance of knocking forts down anyway and won't result in massive casualties if you end up with poor odds.

What happened to GreyJoy against Obvert is another good example of this. There's just no need to shock attack, and you can afford to avoid river crossing attacks as Japan. A failed shock attack can stall a front for weeks or longer while you wait for troops to recover.
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Not sure why he is shock attacking so much in China. It's a lot of risk for little gain relative to a deliberate attack. Japanese troops outclass the Chinese by so much that there are 2 options, really:

1) Chinese troops are in poor supply and therefore usually poor condition. You don't need to shock here, just deliberate. Eventually the Chinese run out of places to fall back to, so bagging more on the front end is not really necessary.

2) Chinese troops have supply and are therefore usually in better condition (with forts). Shocking here is risky, as if you get bad odds you'll get shot up, as has happened to him twice here. Granted, you had a negative supply modifier show up, but I'd bet you weren't out of supply (it only has to be 1 unit for it to show up in the combat text). The IJA may as well just do a deliberate attack, which has a decent chance of knocking forts down anyway and won't result in massive casualties if you end up with poor odds.

What happened to GreyJoy against Obvert is another good example of this. There's just no need to shock attack, and you can afford to avoid river crossing attacks as Japan. A failed shock attack can stall a front for weeks or longer while you wait for troops to recover.

Yupp, he could have easily walked around to the North or even crossed to the south where only 1 corps was protecting. I think he thought he had broken through my lines when he routed 2 corps further to the East a while back.

No complaints from me though! [:)]
Image
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]April 30th[/font]
______________________________________________________________________________

No fish was caught.

------------------------
NORPAC
------------------------

Another set of attacks on Seattle and Vancouver. For some odd reason he hits the Catalina factory at Vancouver. This strike is very light on escorts and is also being done by the KB. If this continues I´ll try to ambush him.

Betties and some Sallys hit Seattle to quite good effect. But today AA behaves as I´m used to. 17 planes shot down today which negates the VP gain from the strat bombing. Good! [:)]

Looks like Jeff grew tired of the defenders at Skagway as he sends in another regiment.

------------------------
China
------------------------

Massive air attack on Sian causing some 800 casualties. This raid is also lightly escorted. Perhaps an opportunity....

------------------------
India
------------------------

Nothing caught in the net on the Burma coast. Looks like the TF at Akyab might possibly be the MKB. I have no desire to take on the MKB backed up by LBA. Time to pull back into the Shadows as my TFs are spotted. If he chases after them we will have a battle tomorrow. Don´t think I´ll like that...

------------------------
Luzon
------------------------

Was too slow contesting the Atimonan landing. Troops landed this turn without loss as the CD guns just arrived in strat mode.

In other news some nice reinforcements arrived today! Very welcome! [:)]



Image
Attachments
reinforcement.jpg
reinforcement.jpg (361.85 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Image
User avatar
HansBolter
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: United States

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by HansBolter »

Havta ask why you are using Manilla as a base for the subs?

On December 8th I reassign every sub at Manilla to a new home base at Soerbaja as they sortie from Manilla.

Even the S-boats can operate in the PI with a home base of Soerbaja.

Only after that home base has to displace further away do the S-boats lose the ability to operate in the PI.
Hans

User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by BBfanboy »

Yessir, you must be drooling over the prospect of getting 24 Marmon-Herringtons in the pools! [:'(]
(I think these are the ones Cap Mandrake refers to as "combine harversters".) [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Xilana
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by Xilana »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister


Another set of attacks on Seattle and Vancouver. For some odd reason he hits the Catalina factory at Vancouver.

Well, I'll play the Allied spy here and say a few cryptic words...

1. Where do your new Catalinas come from when that factory burns to the ground?

2. Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!!
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: venividivici10044a

ORIGINAL: JocMeister


Another set of attacks on Seattle and Vancouver. For some odd reason he hits the Catalina factory at Vancouver.

Well, I'll play the Allied spy here and say a few cryptic words...

1. Where do your new Catalinas come from when that factory burns to the ground?

2. Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!!
venividivici10044a - the bombing from KB may damage some points of Catalina production, but AFAIK only a firestorm will actually destroy it permanently. Without the bomb output of many 4-engine bombers, it is nearly impossible to get such a firestorm going. And there is so much supply in North America that the damaged factories can be repaired in short order. So for a minor interruption in production the Japanese are risking their best pilots (KB's).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Xilana
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by Xilana »

Spy + Cryptic = Partial Information for the Allies to evaluate

Danger Will Robinson = Early War Hysteria

Allied Military Intelligence has now assessed the spies report and clarified, Excellent!

On to research...speaking of firestorms...this is where the Allies should invest their research...

Bat Bombs
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: venividivici10044a

Spy + Cryptic = Partial Information for the Allies to evaluate

Danger Will Robinson = Early War Hysteria

Allied Military Intelligence has now assessed the spies report and clarified, Excellent!

On to research...speaking of firestorms...this is where the Allies should invest their research...

Bat Bombs
[:D]
I am guessing you mean the night flying bats, but how about this bat/fat bomb ?

Image

PS - like the Lost In Space reference - like I feel when I am lost in this immense game. [:)]
Attachments
championdo..re032212.jpg
championdo..re032212.jpg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 406 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

Haha this turned out interesting! That is a killer hot dog! [:D]

On a more serious note the factory is only 3 points which gives very little VPs. I only a 4 plane squadron that can use the CAT Is so knocking it out makes little sense. And as BB points out I seriously doubt that Japan can create firestorms. I never did despite having the full might of the Allied 4Es in 45 at my disposal. And 3 points will repair almost instantly (have repair turned off on everything right now though) But I´ll not complain. [:)]
Image
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

Got a message from Jeff. No turn tonight so obviously no update.


Image
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Haha this turned out interesting! That is a killer hot dog! [:D]

On a more serious note the factory is only 3 points which gives very little VPs. I only a 4 plane squadron that can use the CAT Is so knocking it out makes little sense. And as BB points out I seriously doubt that Japan can create firestorms. I never did despite having the full might of the Allied 4Es in 45 at my disposal. And 3 points will repair almost instantly (have repair turned off on everything right now though) But I´ll not complain. [:)]

I've never seen any text report in the late game that I had created a firestorm. Maybe there isn't one. I've had over 800,000 Fires on a city and not gotten it. I did not flip to the other side to check to see if industry was permanently destroyed though.

But I seriously doubt the Japanese can create one anywhere with 2Es.
The Moose
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Haha this turned out interesting! That is a killer hot dog! [:D]

On a more serious note the factory is only 3 points which gives very little VPs. I only a 4 plane squadron that can use the CAT Is so knocking it out makes little sense. And as BB points out I seriously doubt that Japan can create firestorms. I never did despite having the full might of the Allied 4Es in 45 at my disposal. And 3 points will repair almost instantly (have repair turned off on everything right now though) But I´ll not complain. [:)]

I've never seen any text report in the late game that I had created a firestorm. Maybe there isn't one. I've had over 800,000 Fires on a city and not gotten it. I did not flip to the other side to check to see if industry was permanently destroyed though.

But I seriously doubt the Japanese can create one anywhere with 2Es.

Not long ago (summer this year) this topic was brought up and someone posted a picture of the text showing the words FIRE STORM. I have forgotten the details but it might have been in the War Room forum. The commentary said it was a rare die roll to get a fire storm, so you might have to do a lot of city attacks before you see one. ADM SPRUANCE just completed a game that went to Sept. 1/45 and although he started attacking Japan's industry in 1944, I don't think he got in 100 attacks before the end of his game - thanks to the service rating of B-29s and heavy losses from Japanese fighter production on steroids.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]May 1st[/font]
______________________________________________________________________________

New month begin with a bang. A nice one too. [:)]

------------------------
NORPAC
------------------------

Jumped in the USAAF over Vancouver after noticing the strikes here were not proceeded by sweeps but only escorted bombings from what looks like the KB. Results were...nice. [:)]
Morning Air attack on Vancouver , at 209,49

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 52 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
B5N1 Kate x 6
B5N2 Kate x 49


Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 6
P-39D Airacobra x 13
P-40E Warhawk x 68


Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 8 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 2 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 14 destroyed, 7 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak


Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Manpower hits 9
Fires 1925

Almost 30 Kates shot down together with 30+ Zeroes. Do I dare hope this was a KB strike? Japanese also strike Seattle and my flak isn´t really doing as good as I had hoped. Some 65 VPs lost to strat bombing. The allies still win the day (counting from an AV perspective) with 200+ VPs. Good day! Now I only need 15 days more like this... [:)]

Back to the shadows for the USAAF.

------------------------
India
------------------------

Interesting...as I pull back so does Jeff. He gathers his strength under a huge CAP at Chittagong. I get some intel on his TFs as he moves from Akyab.
ASW attack near Akyab at 54,44

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
CA Suzuya
CA Takao
CL Tama
CL Jintsu
DD Hayate
DD Ushio
DD Okikaze
DD Asanagi


Allied Ships
SS Truant

I might try an engagement here. Doesn´t look like an optimal TF setup with a mix of BBs, CAs, CLs and very few DDs. Are the old "Rs" up to the task of will they only be torped out of the water in a night engagement? My instinct say "NO" but I also feel I need to try and gather VPs where I can...

------------------------
China
------------------------

Mistimed jumping the Chinese air force in. But we did pretty good anyway dealing with several Oscar sweeps.
Morning Air attack on Sian , at 83,41

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 28 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
I-15-III x 17
H81-A3 x 13
Hawk 75M x 3


Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
I-15-III: 1 destroyed
H81-A3: 1 destroyed
Hawk 75M: 1 destroyed

------------------------
New month.
------------------------

Avengers and Lightnings coming online. Very nice boost together with the B-26. But other than that nothing too exciting.

Image
Attachments
airlosses14.jpg
airlosses14.jpg (325.28 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Image
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”