Dinner Party

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

OK, I'll play...

Napoleon Bonaparte
Socrates
Billy the Kid
Sigmund Freud
Ludwig von Beethoven
Joan of Arc
Genghis Khan
Abraham Lincoln

The question will be... "How do these historical figures react to life in contemporary America?"

And, yea, I'm cheating

who knows how?
warspite1

Yes you are - you have one guest too many....... [;)]

OK, let's throw Billy the Kid under the Bus... I mean phone booth...

Not the principal cheat though....

Guess again [:D]

You misspelled Ludwig van Beethoven's name? [:'(]
Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: warspite1


warspite1

Yes you are - you have one guest too many....... [;)]

OK, let's throw Billy the Kid under the Bus... I mean phone booth...

Not the principal cheat though....

Guess again [:D]

You misspelled Ludwig van Beethoven's name? [:'(]
warspite1

.....and Jeanne d'Arc
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Josh »


My number one most honoured guest would be,

1) Patton. I would ask him about how he thought the Allies with the help of the defeated German Wehrmacht were going to over come the Red Army and send it back to Russia. That should make for some interesting conversation. ( Copy/paste from Ostwindflak, totally agree with you on that one)

2) Jayne Mansfield

Image

3) Plato

4) Leonardo da Vinci

Image

5) Socrates

6) Rommel (did he know or not about the plot to kill Hitler, probably yes but not sure)

7) Mrs Warspite [:D]

Don't know about any topic of conversation just bring in the champagne, beer and expensive whiskey :-)
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Josh
Image

7) Mrs Warspite [:D]

Wasn't that Mrs. Warspite1 on the right? [&:]
Image
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

And, YES, it's the guest list from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_ ... _Adventure

Sorry for the typos... was not only cheating, but sloppy as well [:D]

Maybe I should have added "Death" to the guest list? Perhaps as a tribute to Sir Terry (RIP)
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

And, of course, I omitted "the Babes" (though they would have been sitting on Bill and Ted's laps).

Dinner menu? Why a huge bowl of ice cream... was that the "Iggy Biggy" that Napoleon devoured in the movie?

Perhaps the next game could be "if you had a time machine, who would you bring back to the present to save our nation and why?" though that would probably get locked almost instantly [:D]

My choice for that game would be Eleanor Roosevelt to run for President along with Bernie and Hillary.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Josh
Image

7) Mrs Warspite [:D]

Wasn't that Mrs. Warspite1 on the right? [&:]

My caption would be "yea guys, women do it too!"

Booby attraction is universal, though for different reasons (lust vs jealousy or disdain/disgust) [:D]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Zorch »

Ever heard of Steve Allen's 'Meeting of the Minds' TV Show?
His guests were various historical personages such as Marie Antoinette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNqkzDHkATY

Image
Attachments
steveallen.jpg
steveallen.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 467 times
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Dinner Party

Post by wodin »

A selection of soldiers from England and Germany who fought in WW1. One of them being my Great Great Uncle who died April '18 and was a Military Medal winner.
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

A selection of soldiers from England and Germany who fought in WW1. One of them being my Great Great Uncle who died April '18 and was a Military Medal winner.
warspite1

No Generals/Field Marshals or perhaps even the Kaiser/Nicholas II to try and get to the bottom of who started the godforsaken mess - and can apologise personally to the soldiers?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Josh
Image

7) Mrs Warspite [:D]

Wasn't that Mrs. Warspite1 on the right? [&:]
warspite1

Certainly not - Mrs W is a dark haired maiden.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Josh


My number one most honoured guest would be,

1) Patton. I would ask him about how he thought the Allies with the help of the defeated German Wehrmacht were going to over come the Red Army and send it back to Russia. That should make for some interesting conversation. ( Copy/paste from Ostwindflak, totally agree with you on that one)

2) Jayne Mansfield

Image

3) Plato

4) Leonardo da Vinci

Image

5) Socrates

6) Rommel (did he know or not about the plot to kill Hitler, probably yes but not sure)

7) Mrs Warspite [:D]

Don't know about any topic of conversation just bring in the champagne, beer and expensive whiskey :-)
Mrs warspite1

Why thank you Mr Josh. I would be honoured to join your dinner party. Would make a nice change from sitting around a meal table with that useless boring fart of a husband. Let me know when and where dear and I'll bring a nice fruit cake for desert.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Zap »

I would invite

Pope UrbanII and Baldwin of Boulogne.sitting in front of them Salatan.

Remember the Pope is a Head of State so he would not be considered a relious in this case.

I just would want to hear directly the mindset. The Muslim leader I imagine would not be much different then those who pronounce jihad today. And on the other side it would be similar to today. preserve culture and freedom.

User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I would invite

Pope UrbanII and Baldwin of Boulogne.sitting in front of them Salatan.

Remember the Pope is a Head of State so he would not be considered a relious in this case.

I just would want to hear directly the mindset. The Muslim leader I imagine would not be much different then those who pronounce jihad today. And on the other side it would be similar to today. preserve culture and freedom.

warspite1

[&:]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
terje439
Posts: 6603
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:01 pm

RE: Dinner Party

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

OK, I'll play...

Billy the Kid

Remember to take a picture [;)]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Zap

I would invite

Pope UrbanII and Baldwin of Boulogne.sitting in front of them Salatan.

Remember the Pope is a Head of State so he would not be considered a relious in this case.

I just would want to hear directly the mindset. The Muslim leader I imagine would not be much different then those who pronounce jihad today. And on the other side it would be similar to today. preserve culture and freedom.

warspite1

[&:]

What is the question. Did I not clarify enough.

I would really be interested in seeing the exchange.
UrbanII called the first Crusade
Salatin first leader to call jihad.
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Zap

I would invite

Pope UrbanII and Baldwin of Boulogne.sitting in front of them Salatan.

Remember the Pope is a Head of State so he would not be considered a relious in this case.

I just would want to hear directly the mindset. The Muslim leader I imagine would not be much different then those who pronounce jihad today. And on the other side it would be similar to today. preserve culture and freedom.

warspite1

[&:]

What is the question. Did I not clarify enough.

I would really be interested in seeing the exchange.
UrbanII called the first Crusade
Salatin first leader to call jihad.
warspite1

As per post 1 and 62, I asked for no religious leaders or followers. My definition may have been far from perfect, but I think to suggest a Pope is not included in that definition is stretching it somewhat - especially one that called for the First Crusade.

As for Salatan or Salatin or whoever, I can see no reference to him on Google, but the fact you say he ordered the first Jihad, just invites responses we could do without.

As said in post 62, the reason I asked for this exclusion was not anti-religious sentiment on my own part, just simply I don't want to get into all that. It never ends well.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Zorch »

He is referring to Saladin (1137? – 1193), a Kurd who led the Arab reconquest of Jerusalem and fought against Richard the lion-hearted and the 3rd Crusade. He counts as a head of state (and was a model of religious toleration).
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Zap »

I guess if I would have made some extreme comment about either side but I didn't. The Pope is head of the State of the Vatican. It is a legitimate country. But hey, I'll leave the dinner party
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

Zap this was not about you making some extreme comment - you are not one of those hot heads and I never intimated that you would.

My concern, as said, is that for some people - and yes there are some on this forum - the words Jihad and Crusade are red rags to a bull. As I thought this idea might make for an interesting topic (and so long running debate) I did not want to muddy the waters with stuff that quickly de-rails threads.

But as it turns out, it looks like the thread has pretty much run its course anyway - so no need to leave the party - the party has already left [;)]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”