Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
chazz
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 pm
Location: Australia

Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

Post by chazz »

I've started about 5 games or so (Dec 8/quiet China) and noticed that the Japanese blitz PNG and the Solomons, and of course does the strategic thing vis a vis Java/Borneo/Philliphines yadda yadda...

All well and good. Pretty much as I would expect.

Then in May '42 they sent a three CV TF's down the Coral Sea and raided my supply lines between Australia and PH. I tracked them the whole way, timed it so that I could achieve local superiority and had a 3 CV TF get in between them and their escape route and over the course of the next three days accounted for 5 CV's.

What was really interesting is that the AI sent one CV TF (Akagi (!!) 4 CA's and DD's) seemingly in an attempt to draw me out- because I tracked them for a couple of days as they bombed Brisbane and Sydney (imagine what Australian historians would write about THAT) and sank a few coastal ships and AM's. Then a large CV TF (4 CV's) sailed down the same stretch of water, between Esperitu Santo and Queensland.

The upshot of it was that I sank 5 CV's between Bundaberg and Rossell Island over the space of 3 days, a CA and a couple of DD's with 3 CV's. None of my CV's lost but air groups savaged and it took months to build them back up to strength.

I was pretty impressed with the AI on this- apart from using Akagi as bait. (!!)

Is this "scripted?" if I reload the game from the beginning could I expect the same thing?

Just a general query about how the AI works in single player. Haven't checked out any mods that alter the AI scripting but would consider a mod if anyone has any particular recommendations.
=================================

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos

"I can't afford to hate anyone. I don't have that kind of time!" - Akira Kurosawa
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11268
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

Post by PaxMondo »

For Scen 1 there are something like 8 or 10 different script sets, with specific probabilities of getting them. So, the answer is "No", you cannot plan on which one you will get and the only way to choose it is by deleting all the others and renaming the one you want to be the aeixxx-01.dat file.

Of course, you also have to be able to figure out which one is the one you want and that ain't easy either. you'll have to query up the procedure that Andy Mac wrote out a few years back .... it isn't hard but it is tedious.

Good Luck.
Pax
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20772
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

Post by BBfanboy »

Further to what Pax said, the difficulty setting seems to affect the choice of scripts by the AI. Some are written to be rather sloppy in organization and objectives while others are written to press you hard and not give too many openings for counterattack. If you found killing the KB in May 42 too easy, try setting the AI difficulty to its highest difficulty.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Leandros
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm
Contact:

RE: Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: chazz

I've started about 5 games or so (Dec 8/quiet China) and noticed that the Japanese blitz PNG and the Solomons, and of course does the strategic thing vis a vis Java/Borneo/Philliphines yadda yadda...

All well and good. Pretty much as I would expect.

Then in May '42 they sent a three CV TF's down the Coral Sea and raided my supply lines between Australia and PH. I tracked them the whole way, timed it so that I could achieve local superiority and had a 3 CV TF get in between them and their escape route and over the course of the next three days accounted for 5 CV's.

What was really interesting is that the AI sent one CV TF (Akagi (!!) 4 CA's and DD's) seemingly in an attempt to draw me out- because I tracked them for a couple of days as they bombed Brisbane and Sydney (imagine what Australian historians would write about THAT) and sank a few coastal ships and AM's. Then a large CV TF (4 CV's) sailed down the same stretch of water, between Esperitu Santo and Queensland.

The upshot of it was that I sank 5 CV's between Bundaberg and Rossell Island over the space of 3 days, a CA and a couple of DD's with 3 CV's. None of my CV's lost but air groups savaged and it took months to build them back up to strength.

I was pretty impressed with the AI on this- apart from using Akagi as bait. (!!)

Is this "scripted?" if I reload the game from the beginning could I expect the same thing?

Just a general query about how the AI works in single player. Haven't checked out any mods that alter the AI scripting but would consider a mod if anyone has any particular recommendations.

Hi, Chazz - I experienced exactly the same thing just now. Difference was I didn't have a CV force ready to thwart them, except
one north-east of Darwin. I rushed it south but not farther than PM, my intention was rather to stop any new landings there in
conjunction with land-based air forces and a somewhat reduced CA task force lingering in PM. Reduced because it had already
clashed with enemy heavies escorting an invasion convoy. That invasion was averted.

So, I just had to let the enemy CV TF's run amuck down the Australian east coast, ravaging Brisbane and Sydney, much like you
describe it, rather than risk my one CV in the area.

I suppose you could call this event of yours - The Battle of the Coral Sea....[:)]. Mine haven't really started. I do
have three more CV's coming down from the north after doing some good work in the Moluccans but they are some days off. A
British one, too, but that isn't worth much. Except maybe their torpedo planes. Mine have some depleted air groups, too.

Interesting times.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Dragoastro
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:04 pm

RE: Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

Post by Dragoastro »

I ran into a similar occurrence Kaga in Shikaku attacked Brisbane while four other fleet carriers appeared near shortlands. Scenario 2, May 1942. Humorously army Banshees got the final blow on Kaga. There must have been some bragging in the bars in Brisbane after that.
User avatar
Leandros
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm
Contact:

RE: Variations in The AI (Allies vs Japan)

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Dragoastro

I ran into a similar occurrence Kaga in Shikaku attacked Brisbane while four other fleet carriers appeared near shortlands. Scenario 2, May 1942. Humorously army Banshees got the final blow on Kaga. There must have been some bragging in the bars in Brisbane after that.

If they came back....[;)]....

I should think the Banshee pilots had obtained a reasonable proficiency level now, having been so long in Brisbane.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”