Sqz stands down. The AAR is now concluded. Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
dave sindel
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: Millersburg, OH

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by dave sindel »

I dont find this boring at all. I've picked up a few tidbits of insight into how experienced players approach logistics.
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

I dont find this boring at all. I've picked up a few tidbits of insight into how experienced players approach logistics.

Glad to hear you are getting something out of it.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Another small SCTF involved in the Marcus Island operation arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 4th. CA Wichita joins the three light cruisers in the yards.

I've been loading up air transport TF's at San Francisco to get more naval aircraft to Pearl Harbor. I break down the squadrons into their A/B/C components and assign each to one transport. When I get 9-12 ships loaded up, I combine them all into one TF and assign escorts. The TF will follow a designated ASW TF to its destination. The reason I break the squadron down into thirds is to avoid losing the whole air unit to a torpedo hit. Historiker has a number of squadrons assigned to a single transport. I will rest easier when these ships reach port safely. [:D]

I'm turning Midway into a forward base for submarines. It currently lacks an AS and fuel. I will also use Luganville as a forward destroyer and submarine base. An AS and AD are en route from Sydney.

The Solomons campaign is going to be fun. Worried about the Japanese air and possible naval threat to Lunga, I created two six boat PT taskforces to patrol the base. I siphoned fuel from the transports unloading at the base before setting them to retire back to Luganville. I added a squadron of P-39's to provide low CAP so the Corsairs could be set as high CAP. I don't recall if there is radar at Lunga. I will check and if not, it will be a priority to get some suitably equipped base forces deployed. I need to get some LCI's into Luganville so I can unload much faster. The ships I am sending to Lunga unload slowly which makes them vulnerable. They are expendable, but I still want to give them a fighting chance at survival.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Mike McCreery
Posts: 4362
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Another small SCTF involved in the Marcus Island operation arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 4th. CA Wichita joins the three light cruisers in the yards.

I've been loading up air transport TF's at San Francisco to get more naval aircraft to Pearl Harbor. I break down the squadrons into their A/B/C components and assign each to one transport. When I get 9-12 ships loaded up, I combine them all into one TF and assign escorts. The TF will follow a designated ASW TF to its destination. The reason I break the squadron down into thirds is to avoid losing the whole air unit to a torpedo hit. Historiker has a number of squadrons assigned to a single transport. I will rest easier when these ships reach port safely. [:D]

I'm turning Midway into a forward base for submarines. It currently lacks an AS and fuel. I will also use Luganville as a forward destroyer and submarine base. An AS and AD are en route from Sydney.

The Solomons campaign is going to be fun. Worried about the Japanese air and possible naval threat to Lunga, I created two six boat PT taskforces to patrol the base. I siphoned fuel from the transports unloading at the base before setting them to retire back to Luganville. I added a squadron of P-39's to provide low CAP so the Corsairs could be set as high CAP. I don't recall if there is radar at Lunga. I will check and if not, it will be a priority to get some suitably equipped base forces deployed. I need to get some LCI's into Luganville so I can unload much faster. The ships I am sending to Lunga unload slowly which makes them vulnerable. They are expendable, but I still want to give them a fighting chance at survival.

Do you also remove the pilots from the groups? Mr. Kane mentioned that he did that and I found it to be very good advice defensively. Aferall, isnt it the pilots that are the key important ingredient?
Image
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Do you also remove the pilots from the groups? Mr. Kane mentioned that he did that and I found it to be very good advice defensively. Aferall, isnt it the pilots that are the key important ingredient?

Ha, that's a good suggestion. I never thought of the pilots! As to are they more important then the planes, I guess that depends on the airframe and perhaps what side you are on. Losing a squadron of P-47's at sea would be a heavy blow. You can train more pilots...
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Mike McCreery
Posts: 4362
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Do you also remove the pilots from the groups? Mr. Kane mentioned that he did that and I found it to be very good advice defensively. Aferall, isnt it the pilots that are the key important ingredient?

Ha, that's a good suggestion. I never thought of the pilots! As to are they more important then the planes, I guess that depends on the airframe and perhaps what side you are on. Losing a squadron of P-47's at sea would be a heavy blow. You can train more pilots...

So if you take the pilots off you have a very good chance to lose 1/6th of the components of a full squadron doing it like you do. Bravo!!
Image
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 5/43:

Another quiet Allied turn.

Burma:

Japan sweep and bomb Lashio, but damage is light, and FLAK accounts for two downed Helen's. I will continue my tactic of ignoring Japanese bombing, as I did in my game against Chickenboy. I'll only commit to air actions that further my goals, rather than dissipate my strength in meaningless A2A combat.

I'm starting to perform recon missions all over Burma in an effort to mask my intentions, which are to hit the rearward Japanese bomber bases while most of the fighters are performing sweeps and escorts.


The Solomons:

No air attacks by Japan today, but a Japanese naval force of four destroyers was spotted north of Rekata Bay. Pulling back my amphibious TF's was the right call. However, the Japanese actions are disrupting my reinforcing of Lunga. I just need 3-4 more days until my pieces are in place to take the fight to the Japanese.


CentPac:

More Allied combat vessels return to Pearl Harbor. The carriers are still 3-4 days out. Depending on repairs and fuel, the fleet should be able to resume offensive operations by the end of November. I'd like to secure the Gilbert Islands to safeguard the LOC from Pearl Harbor to Luganville.


Logistics:

Improving every day. It's still a few weeks until fuel and supply start arriving in the forward areas, but the process of providing continuous logistic support is underway.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've been meaning to post aircraft pool numbers. Many of the air units have reserve aircraft assigned to them, and as I work through my turns I return them to the pool. It's not that I don't like to assign reserve aircraft in some cases, but right now I'm trying to establish how many replacement aircraft I have in total for some airframes. I'll start to reassign reserve aircraft once I know my numbers.

One thing I've noticed is I have very few B-17's available, mostly B-24's. The B-24J pool was around 120, so I've slowly started upgrading a few squadrons to this airframe. I'm reassigning most of the B-24D airframes to SoPac, as their longer range is a better fit for me in this theatre.

There are roughly 30+ P-47's in the pool. Corsair and Hellcat pools look low.

I'm starting to receive the Spitfire VIII and have two new squadrons that recently arrived at Aden.

As I begin to get involved in the air war, I'll do my best to husband my forces and avoid any outright disasters. I have little experience with these mid war airframes and will learn as I go.

I'll try to post some screens on the weekend.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Current aircraft pools.

Image
Attachments
AircraftPools.jpg
AircraftPools.jpg (561.92 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 6/42:

Every end has a beginning. I officially call 6 Nov 43 the beginning of my New Guinea and Solomon campaign.

Interesting development at Kirakira. I'll let the screenshot tell the tale. Sigh, Luganvill should be Luganville.

Image

Now, what am I going to do about it. B-24D's based at Luganville are ordered to bomb the Japanese defenders at Kirakira. P-39's based at Lunga are ordered to provide escort. Following the bombing, 1st Australian Parachute Bn. based at Luganville will conduct an air assault against the base. If the Japanese defence isn't an established one, there's a chance the Australian's can capture the base and destroy the float plane detachment. A small action that if successful, may serve notice that I'm prepared to deal with his hijinks, even if totally surprised by it this time. [:D]

Then again, I haven't taken the base yet and if my counter doesn't work, he'll gain a few more days of intelligence and may cause trouble. A good move by Erik.


In other news, my first submarine strike after issuing my own orders. The Sub-chaser later sinks. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Kangean at 59,103

Japanese Ships
SC CHa-8, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS O21

SS O21 launches 2 torpedoes
O21 bottoming out ....
Sub escapes detection
Attachments
Kirakira.jpg
Kirakira.jpg (158.46 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Lowpe »

You should have bombed today, and dropped the airborne troops the following day. Just in case it is an unpleasant surprise, but I really doubt it so you are probably ok. But you aren't really in a hurry, right now are you?

All that American production is going to spoil you![:D]
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You should have bombed today, and dropped the airborne troops the following day. Just in case it is an unpleasant surprise, but I really doubt it so you are probably ok. But you aren't really in a hurry, right now are you?

All that American production is going to spoil you![:D]

I want to strike quickly to prevent more Japanese troops being flown in. I don't know what I'm facing, but I think it's just aviation support. I'll soon find out.

You're right, I'm not in a hurry. It's still some weeks away before I make a major push in the theatre, but I do want to start fighting, even if they are just little actions.

Ha, I'll feel spoiled when the 4E's start to rain down their goodness. [8D]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've noticed Japanese forces redeploying from Taung Gyi to Toungoo. Does Erik suspect a new axis of advance, knowing he can easily block a move against Taung Gyi from the east?

The Allied advance force in Burma is sorely lacking base force and construction support units. The force composition is all artillery, armour and infantry. Yet another deficiency to address.

The only real issue with the changes that need to happen in Burma is the time involved to implement them. Shattered Allied units are withdrawing to the rear for replenishment and will be out of action for months.

I suspect a Japanese move against Paoshan from within China. The attention of Japanese bombers coupled with recon indicating Japanese forces approaching the base tends to reinforce my assumption. Paoshan is held by Chinese construction, base force and HQ units totaling 80 AV. It will provide no obstacle to a Japanese assault. The capture of Paoshan will threaten my flank in Burma though, and I'm going to have to take measures to secure Lashio and prevent a possible move against Myitkyina.

My first offensive goal in Burma is to clear the Myitkyina to Lashio rail line, which I hope will allow better supply flow forward. I have to wait until the AA units arrive, otherwise my ground forces will take a pounding in the clear terrain bases of Shwebo and Mandalay. Lacking the repair capability of base force and construction units forward just doesn't help matters.

Delay, delay, delay...
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Ha, I'll feel spoiled when the 4E's start to rain down their goodness. [8D]

Obvert is a tough air opponent -- at least from reading Jocke's old AAR.[;)]
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Obvert is a tough air opponent -- at least from reading Jocke's old AAR.[;)]

That's exactly my thoughts too and why I'm not rushing an air offensive in Burma until I can sustain it. I could utilize the air force to put some kind of pressure on Japanese forces in Burma for example, but how much strength would I lose prior to my ground offensive?

I mentioned this in my previous AAR against Chickenboy. I think it's a mistake to engage Japanese air just to be doing something. As the Allied player, you can't win the attrition battle against Japanese production, so I tend to use my air force only to gain local air superiority in support of ground offensives.

I'll rely on improved AA to whittle the Japanese bomber force while my fighters concentrate on getting the bombers through.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

The bulk of the Allied fleet will arrive back at Pearl Harbor tomorrow on 7.11, earlier than I first predicted. The large number of ships will deplete Pearl Harbor of fuel, even if I limit refueling to the undamaged ships. It will be a few weeks until the fuel storage facilities will be topped up and the fleet is available for operations. I need time to prep the combat LCU's for their new targets anyway, a few of which are atolls, so preparation will be crucial.

I've started to unload construction units at Christmas Island to quickly expand the airbase and port. It hasn't been developed. I get an idea of the speed the Allies can expand bases. Just for example in India, two American construction regiments expanded Jamshedpur's airbase from level 1 to 2 in three days!

Haven't received the turn yet and I'm anxious to see if I snuffed out the snoopers at Kirakira. The Solomons are about to get busy.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

7 Nov 43

A painful turn for the Allies all around today.

The big news is the defeat and surrender of Allied forces at Marcus Island. I'm glad this one is over and I no longer have to be reminded of it daily.

The Allied paratroop assault fails to dislodge the Japanese defenders at Kirakira as elements of a naval guard unit have also been flown in. I'll have to put together a proper assault force for this one.

Erik moves in fighter and dive bombers to Merauke and sinks six small transports unloading at Horn Island and Portland Roads. My CAP proved insufficient at both locations.

I'm paying the price for a less than ideal support network of bases. If Erik only knew how weak some forward bases were. A few paratroop drops or fast transport amphibious landings would bag him a lot of support units and air squadrons. As optimistic as I am, I'm going to have to be patient. I can't advance here on the cheap as Erik painfully made me aware. I just have to wait until I have the forces available to make a proper advance.

This is definitely where I take issue with my predecessor's way of doing things. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to live with the current situation for as long as it takes me to change it.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

7 Nov 43 continued...

The fleet arrives back at Pearl Harbor. There are a lot more damaged ships than I first thought. The yards will be busy for weeks. Fuel at Pearl is gone, but 185k will arrive in two days.

I need to understand replenishment groups on CVE's. I really don't know how they work. Looking over a number of them I was confused as to how they had been set up. For example, most of the CVE's have a capacity for 28 aircraft, but I'm finding a large number that have 56 aircraft aboard. The composition is usually 28 fighters and 28 dive or torpedo bombers, with the fighters set to CAP. Wouldn't the 56 aircraft, double the capacity, prevent or severely penalize the fighter CAP?

The number of combat ships that I have to sort through is a little overwhelming. I'm trying to prioritize the yards to get a number of combat taskforces set and deployed to Christmas Island to support operations in CentPac. First up will be the reinforcing of Canton and Baker Islands. I need recon and search occurring over the Gilbert Islands. The first major operation slated for the navy it an amphibious landing at Tabiteuea Island, but that is months away due to needing to prep the assault forces.

Christmas Island now has 350+ engineers deployed and expansion of the base is underway. Those American construction regiments kick ass! I need to get a large number of these into the Santa Cruz Islands and SoPac pronto.

I'll be able to prevent losses, like suffered on 6 Nov, when I have the assets in place to dictate terms. Not like the current situation where I have to hope Erik doesn't do something. It's not a smart way to conduct operations.

I've also called off the overland movement from Tennant Creek towards Darwin, recalling all the unrestricted combat units which are substantial. These units are needed to reinforce northeast Australia, New Guinea and to conduct further offensive operations. With the exception of Australian 4th Division, I am only sending restricted units to march overland to Darwin. It's all these little things that are killing me. Just not a good use of the assets at hand and really allowing for no flexibility in operations. I've resigned myself to not rush as previously mentioned. It's going to take 3-4 weeks to get everything sorted out.

Sucks, but there it is.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Mike McCreery
Posts: 4362
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Mike McCreery »

Many of the carrier reinforcements that arrive in game have double the number of aircraft they can field. Usually 28 fighters plus 28 dive bombers on a deck that can only field 28. You need to ferry the ones you dont want to use off.

It appears your predecessor did not bother doing this.
Image
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by mind_messing »

I need to understand replenishment groups on CVE's. I really don't know how they work. Looking over a number of them I was confused as to how they had been set up. For example, most of the CVE's have a capacity for 28 aircraft, but I'm finding a large number that have 56 aircraft aboard. The composition is usually 28 fighters and 28 dive or torpedo bombers, with the fighters set to CAP. Wouldn't the 56 aircraft, double the capacity, prevent or severely penalize the fighter CAP?

IIRC, for CVE's to act as normal carriers you need to pull those extra planes off.

If you want them to act as replenishment platforms for your CV's you can keep the extra planes on. If your CV/CVLs are in range they will automatically fly aircraft off to replace losses (provided they're the same airframe of course).

I'll see if I can dig up the thread on how to use them. I think there's special code around the VR squadrons.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”