wip

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
wordsmith1
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:26 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

wip

Post by wordsmith1 »

when will it be available for purchase?
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

Post by dwesolick »

I've read that it will be available in "Fall 2003". Hopefully that means September and not December!
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Just so you don't think we are ignoring you, most of us are testers and can not comment on this.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

Let's just say that it ain't likely to show up in your stocking hanging from the mantelpiece ...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Yamamoto
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Miami, Fl. U.S.A.

Post by Yamamoto »

Originally posted by pasternakski
Let's just say that it ain't likely to show up in your stocking hanging from the mantelpiece ...


What makes you say that? Are you privy to insider information? The last date I heard thrown around was September.

Yamamoto
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

Originally posted by Yamamoto
What makes you say that? Are you privy to insider information? The last date I heard thrown around was September.

Yamamoto


Nope. I'm just making an educated guess based on the amount of time that has gone into development so far, the stage the game is at now, and the number of things that have to be worked out before WITP is a finished product. Beta testing is just about to begin. Kid, Mogami, and others have indicated that many features basic to the design have yet to be created. I'm thinking that the basic engine will take another three months to get up and running in a satisfactory way, that the full range of features will take another two to three months to be incorporated, and that final testing and "polish" of the design for release to gold will take another couple of months. That puts us into December at the earliest. Leave a little wiggle room for stuff that can go wrong, and baby 2004 will long since have taken old man 2003's place before the game ships.

The development page says "winter 2003," which says that I'm probably pretty close to what Matrix/2by3 was estimating six months ago, and I have a sneaking feeling that they now believe themselves to have been a little optimistic.

Personally, I hope it does take that long. I want a polished game, not a rush job that will be finished on the fly through patches and updates. This is a monster undertaking, probably bigger than anything tried for a computer wargame before (it certainly dwarfs UV, which was a big game in its own right).
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
Fred98
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Wollondilly, Sydney

Post by Fred98 »

I love wargaming and unfortunately I can only spend a maximum of 2 hours per day on the PC which includes my wargaming time

I have been playing UV for almost a year and only recently have I discovered the nuances of the game. I expect I would play it for at least another year before I tire of it.

At the same time I will get Korsun Pocket, Airborne Assault, Battlefields! and Combat Leader.

To play them all thoroughly will take more than 2 hours per day. And each one I should anjoy for 1 or 2 years.

So if WITP is delayed another year that’s OK by me. Otherwise I cannot give the game the attention it deserves.
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Sonny »

Since this one is a big one and going to take a long time to play, I would prefer to wait until they think it is almost as final as UV is now. Reason being - it was **** frustrating having to start over or play "without the new stuff" in UV once you have sunk enough time to get a campaign past August '42. Just imagine how frustrating it will be in WitP to put enough hours to get to August '42 and then have to start over because of some glaring error.

So take you time. As much as I want the game now, I want it polished more.:)
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

Post by dwesolick »

I have to (reluctantly) agree that a longer wait for a polished product is for the best. Still, if the game isn't out before 2004 I'm going to report Matrix to Human Rights Watch for flagrantly torturing its customers!:p

If anyone is interested (while waiting for WitP) in modeling (ships and planes....not bodies) check out www.hobbylinc.com
I just got three ships -Prince of Wales, Akagi, and Arizona (1/350, 1/450, 1/350 scale, respectively) in the mail. I guess I have a penchant for ships that met horrible fates. I'm getting the Lusitania next. I did the Yamato (1/350 from Tamiya) a few weeks ago, turned out great. I think it's now (of course) on sale for $38.
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
Snigbert
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Worcester, MA. USA

Post by Snigbert »

As a tester, even if I could tell you it would be just a guess at this point. They are working feverishly on it, but there is a ton of things to be done.
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by kaleun »

Take your time. I've got 3 UV PBEM games going. (Getting trounced in 2 of them), so no rush.
Get it right so we don't have to do restarts!
(sound of desperate slobering)
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
User avatar
Von Rom
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Von Rom »

I agree with all the other comments. Keep this baby in the oven until it's done.

This will be THE classic computer game of the Pacific War.

Cheers!
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”