Sqz stands down. The AAR is now concluded. Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tiemanjw
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 am

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by tiemanjw »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

The first operation I have planned in the Solomons is to secure Kirakira. It's a small operation meant to deploy an American base force and construction regiment to build an airbase. A New Zealand infantry brigade will provide defensive support.

As more support units arrive at Luganville they will be assigned objectives in the Solomons and deployed via small manageable amphibious TF's. All objectives will be assigned an infantry brigade to provide combat support for the aviation and construction troops.

I hope to lull Erik into thinking I'm going to take my time with these small amphibious operations to build up a supporting network of bases before any major move against Rabaul. That isn't going to be the case though. Regardless of the state of airbase expansion around Lunga and Tulagi, once the Rabaul invasion shipping and troops are assembled at Suva and Luganville, the fleet sets sail. There will be near simultaneous landings at Munda, Shortlands, Rabaul, Feni and Kavieng. A reinforcement package with supply is assigned for Lae.

Preliminary recon of Tabiteuea has been ordered based out of Luganville. I have no idea of the defences, but if they appear weak the amphibious forces will set sail as soon as they can be assembled. A massive effort is being made to get the troops and supply in place before the end of the year.

That is a lot of simultaneous landings... how many divisions do you have allocated for this?
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

That is a lot of simultaneous landings... how many divisions do you have allocated for this?

Off the top of my head there are three U.S. Marine divisions, four U.S. Army divisions and two Australian divisions. That doesn't include New Zealand brigades or individual U.S. regiments.

Initial recon of Feni, Munda and Shortlands indicate divisions won't be needed to subdue these bases. I plan on landing at least 4-5 divisions at Rabaul, two most likely at Kavieng. If I find it's too ambitious, or can't get the troops in place in time, the number of targets can be reduced. I'm really looking to strike a hammer blow in this theatre and kick down the door for a drive on the Philippines.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
tiemanjw
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 am

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by tiemanjw »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
ORIGINAL: tiemanj

That is a lot of simultaneous landings... how many divisions do you have allocated for this?

Off the top of my head there are three U.S. Marine divisions, four U.S. Army divisions and two Australian divisions. That doesn't include New Zealand brigades or individual U.S. regiments.

Initial recon of Feni, Munda and Shortlands indicate divisions won't be needed to subdue these bases. I plan on landing at least 4-5 divisions at Rabaul, two most likely at Kavieng. If I find it's too ambitious, or can't get the troops in place in time, the number of targets can be reduced. I'm really looking to strike a hammer blow in this theatre and kick down the door for a drive on the Philippines.


That should be enough. Bring tenders and engineers along and you can quickly turn one of those small bases (Feni, Munda, Shortlands) into a FARP with land based air.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Canoerebel »

What the heck is a "FARP"?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What the heck is a "FARP"?
I suspect it is something like "Forward Area Replenishment Point", which sounds like an Army term for a Tank Laager.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

The Nov. 24th turn is away.

I've been performing recon missions over much of Burma and the conditions seem right to try a deep air raid against Chiang Mai's airbase. Almost every American heavy bomber in the theatre is assigned to this mission. I've moved in four squadrons of P-47's to Akyab to sweep Chiang Mai. Two squadrons of Beaufort fighters and one of P-51B's has been assigned an escort role. The mouse over showed 60+ fighters and 90+ bombers at the base. I hope to catch the bombers on the ground.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
tiemanjw
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 am

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by tiemanjw »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What the heck is a "FARP"?

Forward Area Rearming Point (or Refueling point)... basically disband a bunch of tenders in a small base near your main objective. Then you can keep the combat ships in action instead of traveling back and forth.
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 24/42:

A great turn for the Allies. I like when things go as planned.

First up is the air operation against Chiang Mai. The enemy bombers were caught on the ground as hoped and the CAP was mauled. Only one sweep preceded the bombers, but it did degrade the CAP quite nicely. Only one bombing attack was escorted by P-51A's and the Beaufort's were a no show. I didn't face a layered CAP which obviously contributed to the lopsided results, as well as an apparent lack of radar units at the base. I will experiment with lower altitude settings during sweeps missions in light of Erik's tactics of low CAP lately. AAR of the first sweep and main bomber raid follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Chiang Mai , at 58,53

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 36
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 5 destroyed
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
252 Ku S-1 with A6M3a Zero (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 22 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 6000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
203rd Sentai with Ki-43-IIIa Oscar (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 16 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 6000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Chiang Mai , at 58,53

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 27
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 14

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 32
B-24D1 Liberator x 33
B-24J Liberator x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 1 damaged
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 7 destroyed on ground
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 5 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 3 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 17
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 64

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
10 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
15 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
9 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
11 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
2 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
252 Ku S-1 with A6M3a Zero (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 19 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 6000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 33 minutes
203rd Sentai with Ki-43-IIIa Oscar (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 9 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 6000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 81 minutes

All told, 135 4E's attacked Chiang Mai and only one B-24J and 3 P-47D2's were lost against 46 Japanese fighters and 25 bombers destroyed on the ground.


The was another successful air engagement today, over Kirakira. The base is a dot base and doesn't show an air symbol after recon, but the mouse over showed 24 Japanese fighters present. Hello Mr. Rufe. I actually ordered a sweep of the base on the 23rd, but weather grounded my squadron. Not so today. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Kirakira , at 116,140

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 24

Allied aircraft
P-38H Lightning x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2-N Rufe: 9 destroyed

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x P-38H Lightning sweeping at 15000 feet *

CAP engaged:
902 Ku S-1 with A6M2-N Rufe (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 7 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 6000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes

It was not a good day to be a Rufe pilot and 16 were confirmed down for no loss.

A good day's work and should have Erik looking over his shoulder a little. I'll continue to look for weak areas to exploit.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 26/43:

The month of November is flying by.

Another good turn for Allied air.

Japanese bombers make a return visit to Kalgoorlie, but this time there is a reception committee. I counted 16 destroyed bombers during the replay. Considering the CAP and severe storm conditions, I'd have expected no hits whatsoever. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Kalgoorlie , at 56,147

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 57 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 23

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIc x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 8 destroyed, 2 damaged

No Allied losses

Resources hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 5000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
No.31 Sqn RAAF with Beaufighter VIc (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 9 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 8000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 8000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes


I started to load up the Kirakira amphibious force at Luganville. Allied efforts will concentrate on establishing a strong network of mutually supporting airbases centred around Lunga.

I'm still waiting for units to reach their jumping off positions in Burma. It's still looking like at least 3-4 weeks before I can move.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by BBfanboy »

Nice job at Chiang Mai. Looks like there were enough hits to close the airfield. Will you be doing another bomber raid to catch grounded aircraft?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Nice job at Chiang Mai. Looks like there were enough hits to close the airfield. Will you be doing another bomber raid to catch grounded aircraft?

No second raid. The base is on a rail line and the damaged aircraft would be railed out to avoid destruction. Recon the next day confirmed no aircraft at the base. Erik doesn't like to lose damaged aircraft to bombing, and I remember from his previous AAR's he'll even disband fragments at a non-rail base. I wonder though, wouldn't he still lose the VP's for disbanding the cripples?
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Recon of Tabiteuea consistently shows one Japanese LCU at the base. My guess is a Naval Guard Unit. I'm prepping a full division and support troops. It may be overkill, but I need practice with atoll invasions anyway. I'm not sure how important Erik deems the Gilbert and Marshall Island chains. The game date may mean he won't put much effort into defending them.

The plan remains to secure Tabiteuea and area to push the Japanese front back enough to allow me to shorten the LOC between Pearl Harbor and Fiji.

A large number of American construction units are starting to arrive in Fiji. They will be used primarily to build up base infrastructure around Luganville and Ndeni. Once I've created a strong base of operations well covered by air power, I should be able to amass all the amphibious shipping required for operations in the Solomons safely.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 27/43:

I think my strategy of providing boring turn after boring turn will lull Erik into overlooking things when it really matters. [:D]

The pace of the game has been fast, but very little action has occurred of late.

There was another paratroop landing in Australia though, at Exmouth. I can't stop these assaults because the bases have been neglected all this time and garrisoned weakly. I can't even strike back with air because the interior airbases have been neglected as well. So right now Western Australia has no defence to speak of. I'm not sure if I'll counter here, as it will take months of expansion and redeployment of forces to restore the situation. I'll safeguard Kalgoorlie at most at this stage. I'll track enemy prep to see if Perth is a possible target. In the meantime, I'll still focus on New Guinea and the Solomons and backfill Northern Australia later. It really is too bad that the Allied position is so one dimensional. Had more effort been made to build up and secure the entire Allied position, I'd then have a lot more options on where I could attack from.


Tomorrow the Kirakira amphibious force sails and it will take three days to reach it's objective. I shouldn't have assigned slow 11kt LST's to the TF. I'm swinging the TF near Ndeni to hopefully delay a reaction from Erik, as I've had a few TF unloading there before that didn't raise an alarm. Then again, they were small TF's, not a large one protected by surface assets as this one is. I'll bomb both Shortlands and Munda the following day to degrade the chance of an effective Japanese LBA response. If I can force everything to have to fly from Rabaul, I'll consider that a win.

I'm sure Erik is getting numerous 'heavy volume of radio traffic' reports at Suva, so he'll know something is up soon enough.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 28/43:

Another quiet turn. Just the usual bombings in China against Sining.

In the Solomons a small three ship enemy TF was spotted north of Rekata Bay. The mouse over indicates APD's and could be a supply or reinforcement effort. The airbase at Shortlands now shows 36 Japanese fighters present, which the day before showed none. I suspect they are providing CAP for the APD's. I've vectored in a number of submarines.

The Kirakira amphibious TF continues it's approach and should end the day 3 hexes southeast of the base tomorrow. I've set some LRCAP over the TF. I've also ordered a bombing mission against Munda's airbase. P-38's, Corsair's and Hellcat's will sweep and four squadrons of B-24D's and two of Dauntless DB's will hit the airbase. I'd like to have hit Shortlands at the same time, but didn't have additional bombers in place.

I hope I haven't underestimated the Japanese air defence. I've assigned a light CAP for today to reduce fatigue, but will assign four squadrons to CAP the actual amphibious landing.

The Solomons campaign will officially be starting when the troops hit the beach. The main Rabaul landings are still a month away at least, but everything I do right now is a precursor to that operation.

In Burma, more Japanese troops are moving out of Toungoo heading south. My diversion isn't having the desired effect. It's early yet, so I'll just have to see how Erik reacts.

Three carriers complete their upgrades tomorrow at Pearl Harbor. They will join CV Saratoga and make their way to Fiji. I'll leave a few CVE's and surface forces at Pearl Harbor, but easily 90% of the fleet will now be based at Fiji for the upcoming Tabiteuea and Solomons campaigns. After almost a month of running non-stop transport missions, I'm halfway through preparations to finally get the green machine moving.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 29/43:

Turns out the Japanese TF spotted yesterday was actually four DD's. They were sent in to clear out PT Boats I had patrolling Lunga. Two TF's of six PT's each were attacked. The second group lost 5 out of six because the AI treated them as having to "get underway" and they were slaughtered. I'm all for random, but don't hand out freebies.

The bombing raid went ok against Munda. No Japanese CAP and the bombers do moderate damage. Unfortunately, I goofed on my orders to the DB's and didn't assign Munda as the target. The AI didn't sortie the bombers against the only airfield in range, which was Munda. I bet if there was a strong CAP it would have sent the bombers in. [:D]

The Kirakira invasion force is spotted. I almost sent it back, but it should be able to unload everything during the naval phases. It's more a question of will Erik send the kitchen sink at it. If he does, my defences could easily be overwhelmed. Could be a bloody turn for the Allies if so.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by BBfanboy »

Sounds like the PT squadron was not in patrol mode? I have never seen one in patrol mode get the "getting underway" message.
Or possibly they were refuelling at the time?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Sounds like the PT squadron was not in patrol mode? I have never seen one in patrol mode get the "getting underway" message.
Or possibly they were refuelling at the time?

I'm not sure what you mean by patrol mode? I do what I always do, create PT boats at a base, divide them into two taskforces of six boats each and leave them alone. There was no fuel at the base and the boats were at 50% capacity.

The getting underway implies to me the AI treated the TF as if it was docked and unloading, which makes no sense. Both TF's were identical, why one was treated differently than the other is a mystery to me.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by Lowpe »

I have had newly created MTBs get the dreaded "getting underway" message many, many times.

Even when there are no ships in the location prior to creating the mtbs.

They do get slaughtered!

But I will try the patrol idea to see if it works better! Many thanks![&o]
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Sounds like the PT squadron was not in patrol mode? I have never seen one in patrol mode get the "getting underway" message.
Or possibly they were refuelling at the time?

I'm not sure what you mean by patrol mode? I do what I always do, create PT boats at a base, divide them into two taskforces of six boats each and leave them alone. There was no fuel at the base and the boats were at 50% capacity.

The getting underway implies to me the AI treated the TF as if it was docked and unloading, which makes no sense. Both TF's were identical, why one was treated differently than the other is a mystery to me.
If the TF is just set to "remain on station" the TF will cease movement and sit there. If you set the hex as a patrol zone the TF will be moving when the enemy arrive.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nov. 30 - Dec. 3/43:

There is a growing Allied debacle happening in Western Australia. This is what happens when an Allied player takes the side for granted and doesn't prepare his position. I can't stop this, I have nothing with which to stop this, and any effort I put in trying eats up time that I no longer have. My predecessor left Australia ripe for this and I am stuck paying the price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Carnarvon at 49,133

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano
CA Atago
CL Agano
DD Shirakumo
DD Usugumo
DD Michishio
DD Naganami
DD Kazegumo

Allied ground losses:
75 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 34
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 73
Port hits 13
Port fuel hits 6
Port supply hits 10

CA Kumano firing at Carnarvon
CA Atago firing at Carnarvon
CL Agano firing at Carnarvon
DD Shirakumo firing at Carnarvon
DD Usugumo firing at Carnarvon
DD Michishio firing at Carnarvon
DD Naganami firing at Carnarvon
DD Kazegumo firing at Carnarvon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 16th RAAF Base Force, at 51,130 , near Exmouth

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 45

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
45 x A6M3a Zero sweeping at 31000 feet *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 16th RAAF Base Force, at 51,130 , near Exmouth

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet *
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 16th RAAF Base Force, at 51,130 , near Exmouth

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 19

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Carnarvon (49,133)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 677 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 42

Defending force 3164 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 17

Japanese adjusted assault: 24

Allied adjusted defense: 7

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
108 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /1
4th Raiding Rgt /1

Defending units:
110th USA Base Force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Carnarvon (49,133)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1097 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 41

Defending force 3084 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13

Japanese adjusted assault: 14

Allied adjusted defense: 6

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Carnarvon !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
87 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
866 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 62 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (5 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /1
4th Raiding Rgt /1

Defending units:
110th USA Base Force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Corunna Downs , at 57,131

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Corunna Downs , at 57,131

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 37

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
13 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd ISF Base Force, at 57,131 (Corunna Downs)

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
132 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 2nd ISF Base Force, at 57,131 (Corunna Downs)

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
61 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb


Japanese units are prepping for Geraldton and Esperance which tells me Perth is threatened. Kalgoorlie is not built up and there are nothing but base forces garrisoning the bases along the west coast, because practically all the Australian forces have been committed forward and are out of position. Heck, it took over a month for troops to redeploy to Corruna Downs from Tennant Creek. Only now are they able to rail out to garrison anything. Kalgoorlie has been ignored and is only a level 1 airbase, the two inland bases from Geraldton that are great for reaching targets along the Australian coast as far away as Broome have also been ignored. I'm going to concede Western Australia, because I sure as hell can't defend it. I'll draw the line at Kalgoorlie and try to do what I can, but I'm not going to be able to prevent the loss of further bases along the coast, or strategic points as Erik targets the resource centres. It's taken me a month to be able to start massing troops for operations in the Solomons. There is no way I can divert further forces to Australia, or enough fuel to sustain fleet operations there. By the time I move, Erik simply air lifts his troops out of danger. Nope, can't do it. I just have to bend over and keep taking it.

Suckage.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”