Completely off topic - Football
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Nope, that's a canard. Ireland and Malta are both in the EU and their official language is English so English stays regardless of whether England does or not.ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Because of Brexit English will no longer be an official language of the Euro. Watch the Chinese start learning to speak French.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
ORIGINAL: blueatoll
Nope, that's a canard. Ireland and Malta are both in the EU and their official language is English so English stays regardless of whether England does or not.ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Because of Brexit English will no longer be an official language of the Euro. Watch the Chinese start learning to speak French.
How did aerodynamics get into this? SAAB went down, didn't they?
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Simple Definition of canard
: a false report or story : a belief or rumor that is not true
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
[;)]
: a false report or story : a belief or rumor that is not true
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
[;)]
-
Chris21wen
- Posts: 7905
- Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Cottesmore, Rutland
RE: Completely off topic - Football
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: Encircled
I'm supporting Iceland from now on
Yours
Encirledsson
I have heard there is a petition calling for a second England - Iceland match, with more than 3m signatures. [;)]
[:D]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
.


- Attachments
-
- Canard_052006.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
ORIGINAL: blueatoll
Simple Definition of canard
: a false report or story : a belief or rumor that is not true
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
[;)]
Just want to make sure about this blueatoll. You really didn't think I knew what a canard is, did you?
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
ORIGINAL: warspite1
.
![]()
blueatoll, here is a mallard, which is a male canard.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Just for the record:


- Attachments
-
- mallard2.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 571 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
These animals were the inspiration for the TV series "The Sopranos". They don't think you can hear them, but they're always mumbling to each other as follows: "whack, whack ... whack, whack"
I always find it a bit disturbing, but I am easily disturbed. [:(]
I always find it a bit disturbing, but I am easily disturbed. [:(]
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Aren't those ducks mallards? I've never seen them called canards.
WIS Development Team
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Bill, not you too! I am totally teasing here, you aren't buying this, are you? Go grab a cup of coffee and see me later.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Ok, I guess I have to explain myself. Here is a pic of the Wright glider with a forward canard.


- Attachments
-
- 1902_Glider_Launched.jpg (349.62 KiB) Viewed 571 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
Now, the Saab fighters and fighter/bombers were famous for having forward canards, which were the same things as horizontal stabilizers except they were forward, even forward of the cockpit, and were used effectively with delta-winged designs. Anyways, blueatoll stated that the thing I brought up about English no longer being official in the Euro was a canard. He was correct, but I pretended not to understand by citing aerodynamics. I was just having fun with him. Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to use English.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
I know what a canard is on an aircraft. Boeing even experimented with them on airliners and the Eurofighter Typhoon has them. I was confused by the picture of a mallard duck labeled "female canard". Sorry for missing the joke. I'm not completely with it at the moment. It's been a weird few month.
Bill
Bill
WIS Development Team
RE: Completely off topic - Football
The Gorn is punny in many languages. Canard is the French word for "duck".ORIGINAL: wdolson
Aren't those ducks mallards? I've never seen them called canards.
I was trying to remember what aircraft I had seen with canard winglets besides the Swedish Viggen and Draken. It was the XB70 Valkyrie - forerunner to the B1 bomber. Beautiful slim aircraft but lost during development when a fighter jet got too frisky near it and got sucked into a collision by the turbulence.

- Attachments
-
- North_Amer.._ECN792.jpg (189.54 KiB) Viewed 571 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
The Gorn is punny in many languages. Canard is the French word for "duck".ORIGINAL: wdolson
Aren't those ducks mallards? I've never seen them called canards.
I was trying to remember what aircraft I had seen with canard winglets besides the Swedish Viggen and Draken. It was the XB70 Valkyrie - forerunner to the B1 bomber. Beautiful slim aircraft but lost during development when a fighter jet got too frisky near it and got sucked into a collision by the turbulence.
![]()
That actually was a Klingon battlecruiser that was captured and studied at Area 51.
RE: Completely off topic - Football
One of the XB-71 prototypes was lost, the other is in the USAF Museum.
Bill
Bill
WIS Development Team
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
ORIGINAL: wdolson
One of the XB-71 prototypes was lost, the other is in the USAF Museum.
Bill
Dayton, Ohio. Great place to visit multiple times.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: Completely off topic - Football
The Wiki says it had a crew of two. That's true for the prototype, but the B-70 crew was going to be uuuuuuuuge, one to two dozen IIRC.



