OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by rustysi »

or the mood landing occurred.

I don't know about the mood landing, but I can tell you where I was for the moon landing. On my living room floor in front of a B&W TV.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Could we ponder on nice things now? Please.

Gorn don't do "nice things". We listen to our womenfolk ask why we can't have nice things and we just shrug.

User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
or the mood landing occurred.

I don't know about the mood landing, but I can tell you where I was for the moon landing. On my living room floor in front of a B&W TV.[:D]
Every forum needs a spelling and grammar Nazi. Guess who's ours? [:D]
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

Did someone misspell something? I thought the mood landing was when my lava lamp broke and everything, well it just hanged out.

User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

My internet connection is quite tenuous at the moment, but I'll try to post.

I was discussing with a friend how each generation has witnessed an event where they do not forget where they were or what they were thinking when it happened. For example:

December 7th, 1941

November 22nd, 1963

September 11th, 2001

September 13th, 2009 when Kanye accepted Taylor's VMA award on her behalf (and Beyonce's) while she was right there on the stage.
warspite1

No idea what happened on the first two, the third date rings a bell but can't quite picture it. The last one of course I remember very well and exactly what I was doing at the time. Only one other flashbulb date comes close for me personally:

8th January 2016 - Justin Bieber makes UK chart history with the top 3 chart singles all at the same time

warspite1

WARNING: ADULT HUMOUR

I don't know if you guys over the pond got to see Armstrong and Miller show a few years back. Some of their stuff was very, very funny. This is their take on where were you/what were you doing when........

Assassination of President Kennedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXDOk0vq4aI
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Generally the big events are shared events , the and often were a shock , therefore not good. So I think that's the difference , the good memories are generally personal , the bad shared big ones that we were helpless to influence.

Good point.
Image
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20761
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

WARNING: ADULT HUMOUR

I don't know if you guys over the pond got to see Armstrong and Miller show a few years back. Some of their stuff was very, very funny. This is their take on where were you/what were you doing when........

Assassination of President Kennedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXDOk0vq4aI
I'll never again eat watermelon unless I have verified that it was intact before being sliced ....
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Lecivius
Posts: 4845
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 am
Location: Denver

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Lecivius »

I live my whole life by a type Murphy's law. What can go wrong already has, I just have not learned of it yet [:D]

April 1984. Got picked up at a Toga Party (good).
May 1986. Married her (OMG ).
August 1992. Wife miss-carries (bad).
June 1997. Numbah One Son makes an appearance (Jury still out [:D] ).
May 1998. Send Numbah One Son to Daycare (sobbed my eyes out. MAN, that was hard).
December 1999. Work MAKES me miss the biggest party of the millennium (bad, very bad [:@]).
August 2000. Changed daycare because my son was biting other kids (how embarrassing).
September 11 2001. I lost some friends that day [:(]
September 11 2002. Mom passes away (I now hate that day more than you can imagine).
August 2003. Numbah One Son begins kindergarten (more sobbing).
June 2009. Son flattens neighborhood bully half again his size (Dads chest still swells with pride of that event).
February 2012. Son makes Eagle Scout (Jury is leaning on acquittal).
August 2015. I make pension (finally, retirement looks possible! [8D])
December 2016. Company announces intention to file bankruptcy. Pension plans on hold (scratch that previous idea).

Shtuff happens. As long as I'm still here to gripe about it, it's all good [;)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
User avatar
Macclan5
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:46 pm
Location: Toronto Canada

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Macclan5 »

I certainly recall family dates and birth of my children.

<<The verdict is still out on all three but the oldest is almost out of University so I see a bright light at the end of the tunnel; not a train running me down>>

I equally remember both the start of the Gulf War (1st Gulf war) and 9 /11 being at work; but mostly for rushing home to flip the TV onto CNN and CBC and follow the dramatic events over days rather than that 1 specific day.

Too young for JFK.

Very often individual specific dates I seem to mostly recall are specific to 'good times' and being glued to a TV for a limited period of time.

Sporting moments. Gathering with friends / family in must watch moments.

Now I am a sports fan but no more so than the average male aged 50 I would estimate.

However National Pride, sports, patriotism, and often (Canadian) beer seem to create more vivid recollections.

I think most of these dates will resound with my Canadian / Canadien friends on this forum.

I am certain there must be "World Cup wins or defeats" or some such thing that resonates with others (British / Germans / Americans)

--

Sept 28 1972 : Grade school / Western Canada (at least the start of game). The Soviets vs Canada. Us verses them. The dramatic win. Paul Henderson's goal. <<google search 1972 Summit Series - Hockey >>

Sept 15 1987 : Canada Cup (Hockey). Gretzky to Lemuiex with 1 minute 30 seconds left in the 3rd period vs the USSR (again). <<google 1987 Canada Cup for the video - worth it>>

Sept 24 1988 : Canadian Sprinter Ben Johnson beats American Carl Lewis in the men's 100 Seoul Korea Olympics. Ben latter disqualified for steroid use.

Feb 28 2010 : Vancouver Olympics. Hockey. Canada 3 USA 2 in overtime. Sydney Crosby scores (...of course who else could have it been)

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

I remember, somewhere in the '80s, being at a home game of the Cardinals, the visitors being the hated and despised Mets. 9th inning, bases loaded, Tommy Herr hits a walk off grand slam. Sweet.

User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I'll never again eat watermelon unless I have verified that it was intact before being sliced ....


[&:] Of course it was intact before being sliced. Do you think it grows pre-sliced?
Image
rockmedic109
Posts: 2470
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by rockmedic109 »

My grandfather took me to two baseball games when I was a kid. Both were walk off wins {no HR involved though}. I won't go to another. Might shatter the magic.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5
Feb 28 2010 : Vancouver Olympics. Hockey. Canada 3 USA 2 in overtime. Sydney Crosby scores (...of course who else could have it been)

I'm a passive fan of hockey, but even I thought that was a monumentally great game. [&o]

Except for the outcome. [:'(]
Image
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20761
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I'll never again eat watermelon unless I have verified that it was intact before being sliced ....


[&:] Of course it was intact before being sliced. Do you think it grows pre-sliced?
Watch the video - the watermelon gets some carving before being sliced.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20761
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Macclan5
Feb 28 2010 : Vancouver Olympics. Hockey. Canada 3 USA 2 in overtime. Sydney Crosby scores (...of course who else could have it been)

I'm a passive fan of hockey, but even I thought that was a monumentally great game. [&o]

Except for the outcome. [:'(]
I won't complain about the outcome, but the thing that made it great was the hard fought battle by both sides. Some people think sports ARE their life, but to me they are another form of entertainment which I can take or leave as my mood suits me.
WITP-AE IS my life![:D][:(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Lecivius
Posts: 4845
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 am
Location: Denver

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I'll never again eat watermelon unless I have verified that it was intact before being sliced ....


[&:] Of course it was intact before being sliced. Do you think it grows pre-sliced?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I'll never again eat watermelon unless I have verified that it was intact before being sliced ....


[&:] Of course it was intact before being sliced. Do you think it grows pre-sliced?


Don't laugh. Monsanto is working on presliced watermelons even as we speak.

User avatar
Macclan5
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:46 pm
Location: Toronto Canada

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Macclan5
Feb 28 2010 : Vancouver Olympics. Hockey. Canada 3 USA 2 in overtime. Sydney Crosby scores (...of course who else could have it been)

I'm a passive fan of hockey, but even I thought that was a monumentally great game. [&o]

Except for the outcome. [:'(]


Even as a passive fan of Hockey... You may recall Al Michael's great call about the Miracle on Ice... and where you were and what your were watching (?) .. what you were drinking (?)... who you were with (?) ... circa February 24 1980 ....???

Now I didn't watch that game and so know of it after the fact.

As I say I don't want to come across as some type of hockey super fan / or even sports super fan.

Really I think I am typical.

However Hockey is deeply rooted in Canadian culture and so Team Canada milestones are often shared by the entire nation.

I see a few Americans post of Baseball games with Dad etc.. and I fully understand that... especially as Baseball has or had deep ties in American culture as well. I suspect with the British here it may be "their football our soccer". Each culture will probably have some sort of milestone sport.

I think that I can remember so clearly a date, a time, who I was with, the circumstances so clearly is that sports (as entertainment) mixed with National Patriotism, likely a few pints, and some of your best friends and family at that moment in time is a very heady cocktail.

Next to the birth of my kids probably the clearest memories.

Whereas it seems to me (perhaps its only me) that other events even 9 / 11 seem to be less succinct. I mean I know the date. I am not exactly sure where I was or who was near me... only that the morning event seemed to blur into "days" of being glued to media coverage about it.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Macclan5
Feb 28 2010 : Vancouver Olympics. Hockey. Canada 3 USA 2 in overtime. Sydney Crosby scores (...of course who else could have it been)

I'm a passive fan of hockey, but even I thought that was a monumentally great game. [&o]

Except for the outcome. [:'(]


Even as a passive fan of Hockey... You may recall Al Michael's great call about the Miracle on Ice... and where you were and what your were watching (?) .. what you were drinking (?)... who you were with (?) ... circa February 24 1980 ....???

Now I didn't watch that game and so know of it after the fact.

As I say I don't want to come across as some type of hockey super fan / or even sports super fan.

Really I think I am typical.

However Hockey is deeply rooted in Canadian culture and so Team Canada milestones are often shared by the entire nation.

I see a few Americans post of Baseball games with Dad etc.. and I fully understand that... especially as Baseball has or had deep ties in American culture as well. I suspect with the British here it may be "their football our soccer". Each culture will probably have some sort of milestone sport.

I think that I can remember so clearly a date, a time, who I was with, the circumstances so clearly is that sports (as entertainment) mixed with National Patriotism, likely a few pints, and some of your best friends and family at that moment in time is a very heady cocktail.

Next to the birth of my kids probably the clearest memories.

Whereas it seems to me (perhaps its only me) that other events even 9 / 11 seem to be less succinct. I mean I know the date. I am not exactly sure where I was or who was near me... only that the morning event seemed to blur into "days" of being glued to media coverage about it.

warspite1

I would agree that sports events are probably big with many people - good and bad.

05:02 (UK time) 26th October 1986 is still etched firmly in my mind and is still painful.

The weekend of 16th/17th May 1987 was a very dark one... as was 1st November the same year.

The heartbreak of the Euro 96 semi-final and the World Cup semi of 1990 will never be forgotten either.

On the flip side, watching Spurs win the FA Cup with my old dad - 9th and 14th May 1981 - was emotional and still brings a happy tear to the eye when thinking about it.

Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon in 1977, the Rugby World Cup win in 2003 - and of course the legend that is Andy Murray

Yeah, sport matters an awful lot [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

OK, events have made the following discussion essential. This is one of those Ginger or Mary Ann thingies. Zsa Zsa or Eva? I will weigh in on this at the outset. I was totally and completely adoring of Eva. Don't even try to tell me that Zsa Zsa filled in for Eva on Green Acres, not even one episode. Simply not possible.

Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”