Return to the Valley of the Sun: Condor (USN) vs. Quark (IJN)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
Post Reply
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Post by Philwd »

The attack on Noumea exceeded everyone's expectations. When Condor snooped me last turn I thought the gig was up. I kept coming as I didn't think he expected an attack. Condor also only snooped a couple carriers so the threat may not have seemed very great. I also kept coming as I hoped it would draw his LBA from Cairns and the PM convoys. Looks like no carriers were sunk but they'll be gone for quite a while(and come back with a vengeance). I noticed something interesting the Vals attacked the ships while the Kates attacked the port.

The attack was predicated upon several considerations.
First since Condor wouldn't come to me I had to go to him.
Second I couldn't let him get 6 carriers at once.
Third in a port under 2.3 his air wings effectiveness would be greatly reduced and finally in a port flak seems to be greatly reduced. Notice how many fewer planes I lost vs the attack on the SF TF off Lunga. About a quarter of the losses.

I came right down the center between Brisbane and Noumea. After sinking the Yorktown I retired north a couple turns to refuel and also await my last 3 carriers just arriving.

I planned to get within 10 hexes of Noumea and launch at extreme range. As I couldn't pick a target the turn before as I was out of range I was hoping my AI commander would see the big ripe opportunity. And for once he did! I did this so his LBA fighters couldn't reach me so I thought the chances of being attacked were reduced. I also didn't want my Kates carrying torps and torpedoing ships in Noumea harbor. Trying to stay a little historical here.
I'm sure his carriers got their "much needed rest".


Well my air wings got a few turns rest. :D

Condor still has 3 CVs to come. I have to keep my guard up. He has shown what a few carriers can do in hit and run tactics.

more surely to come...

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Today's combat report, and the IJN press their air assault on Noumea and the ships in port:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/18/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 13,42

Allied Ships
SS S-43


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 12,42

Allied Ships
SS S-47


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Port Moresby , at 10,40


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 20


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 1 destroyed
B-17E Fortress x 6 damaged

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 12

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
5 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
6 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 20
B5N Kate x 47

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 57

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed
B5N Kate x 30 destroyed
B5N Kate x 25 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged

LTJG L. Heinzen of VF-8 is credited with kill number 3

Allied Ships
DD O'Brien
DD Wilkes, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DMS Southard
DMS Hovey
DD Monssen
DD Benham


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
A6M3 Zero x 12
B5N Kate x 65

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 32

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 4 destroyed
A6M3 Zero x 1 destroyed
B5N Kate x 6 destroyed
B5N Kate x 14 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 10 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged

LTJG J. Topliff of VF-8 is credited with kill number 3

Allied Ships
AP American Legion, Torpedo hits 1
DD Cushing, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Conyngham, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Lamson
AK Algorab
DD Selfridge
DD Fanning, Torpedo hits 1
DD Preston
DD Porter
DD Dewey, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 26


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 81
A6M3 Zero x 28
B5N Kate x 17

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 54

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 3 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged
B5N Kate x 3 destroyed
B5N Kate x 12 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged

CPO A.Kurihara of AII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 8

Allied Ships
DD Lang
AO Kankakee, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AP Hunter Liggett
DD Blue
DD Hughes, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


An awful lot of aircraft lost to hole a few destroyers. But I'm not the great military mind in this confrontation - so I'm sure there is a master plan in the mind of my opponent.

I'll just stumble along, figuring this out as we go :)

More (i'm sure) to come.......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Ok I got greedy

Post by Philwd »

Aboard the Flagship Akagi

Adm Nagumo read the damage reports from teh Noumea raid. Two fleet CV crippled and a CVE badly damaged. He was about to order the fleet home when his air officer burst onto the bridge.

"Admiral! Ensign Nakamura claims he saw another american CV on the far side of the harbor. All our attack squadrons missed it."

The admiral fretted. He had taken lost a great deal of face by not pressing a second strike at Pearl harbor. He would not repeeat his mistake.

"Order the fleet closer to cut off the retreat to Luganville. Scouts 2-6 search an arc from Noumea to Espiritu Santo. If there's another carrier out there I want to know. Let's finish the job."
" At once Admiral"

Several hours later

The admiral slumped in his chair. No carrier had been found at Noumea. Only scores of destroyers that shot up the air wings. Hiryu had no operational torpedo planes left. This was worse than Pearl harbor.

The admiral turned and ordered" All squadrons stand down. Set course for home."


OK I got greedy. For 2 turns my recon has said there's another CV but I give up and am headed home. Hiryu indeed has no operational Kates. I moved in closer to catch any cripples trying to escape but all my flights went after ASW forces. None of the Vals flew last turn. Where is that Samarai spirit? Why do they balk at flying for 2 straight days??? This battle reminds me of some of Rommel's fights. He would win a great victory then whittle away his strength with fruitless further attacks. Overall the losses weren't bad outside of Hiryu. So time to head home and train replacements. The USN will be back for bear real soon I'm sure.

In other news the B-17s are attacking PM in some strength. I haven't moved in substantial engineer forces yet and am debating whether or nor to do so. I actually don't have many yet.

PM is mostly evacuated and has the appropriate defending forces left. :D

I'm not so sure I would characterize my play this game as a great military mind. :( Just got lucky a couple times.

more coming your way soon...

Quark
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Nice work guys, the pendulum has swung, as it seems to do so often in this game, from Allied to Jap. The surprise of gili has rebounded with the loss of yorktown.

I have to say: attacking Noumea has to be attempted with much thought. Quark you have used it in about the only scenerio I would consider - hitting the CVs in port and sending them to Pearl to give you control of the seas for a bit longer.
My first PBEM game I was Japs and tried a very early invasion of Luganville with the ultimate target of Noumea. This was before support units lent their weight to defence. My opponent put all his bombers into Noumea and the level bombers still had sights - they thumped my transport ships coming in. So I decide to bombard Noumea from newly captured Luganville. He puts 3 surface TFs in port to receive me. Any ship I wanted to sink had to sink during the battle - he sent 3 heavy cruisers back to pearl with SYS in their 90s (one was 99 sys float 80 somthing)!!! Point being even ships that crippled aren't lost.
The bombardments were tiny or repulsed (definately not enough to close the field) and all my ships wounded in the battle had to run the gauntlet of airpower back to Luganville - I got hammered!
[center]
Image
[/center]
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Thanks Wobbly. I knew Condor would send all the cripples back to Pearl. I just hoped with 130 Vals attacking I would get lucky enough to sink one outright. I think I got close with Hornet taking 9 bomb hits. I wish I had hit her like you hit herbieh's Kaga; 20 bomb hits. That's a lot of skylights. :) Of course as long as Condor doesn't do that to my Kaga. That ship is worth its wieght in gold to the IJN. Only ship with 30 fighters.

The followup attack was a total waste. Although for 3 straight turns now I still see 1 CV in port...

Condor came up with some innovative tactics early that caught me completely by surprise. Put a couple BBs into drydock. Taking PM was very long and drawn out. My troops got great tans lying on the beach that month :) .

Your game is getting very bloody. It will be very interesting to see how it turns out.

Cheers,
Quark
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Not much to report in the last couple turns. Real life has interferred for both of us so only 2 turns in the last week.

I am continuing to move troops out of PM. Condor has subs stacked from PM to GG. I REALLY REALLY want waypoints. It is very irritating to have to set transport paths every turn to avoid going down known paths where subs can wait.

Ok off my soapbox now :) . Condor torp'd 2 transports last turn. Neither in danger of sinking right away. One made it back to PM.

I see transports coming and going from Luganville with increasing frequency. Hmmm. Wonder what's up there?

After reading many threads in the last week or so I've decided what my next move is after PM. Details to follow shortly. Its turn 81 so I have to move fast. Condor has lost 1 division equiv in GG and PM combined. We are using very variable reinforcements so its likely he hasn't gotten both the 32 and 41st as replacements yet. He has gotten the 1st Marine. So the window is still barely open.

I have fulfilled the first 2 prerequisites I had for moves beyond PM. First sink or neutralize his CVs. Done although I think he will be back up to three within 2 weeks. Lex is coming back with an AA upgrade and Sara/Wasp are due soon. Second is securing PM so Rabaul and the surrounding sea are safe from LBA.

Its interesting to compare Condor's and mine game with Wobbly and Herbieh. We are within a couple days of each other in game time. Their game has been much more bloody(at least to the IJN :D ) Herbieh and I are in roughly the same spot with roughly the same options. I think that's amazing with the different tactics employed. I just hope Wobbly doesn't give Condor too many ideas.:) He's already got too many good ones.

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Finally got ahead of the job enough to breathe and post a reply... The game is starting to get interesting. Quark's clock is ticking and perhaps it will provoke something in the way of a rash movement. We'll see.

I've also learned a very important lesson about just parking my ships at Noumea. Painful lesson, but effective. Steps have been outlined and planned. What I have concluded (in the midst of adjusting my cardigan sweater, re-liting my pipe, and petting my faithful hound at the foot of my leather chair here in the library) was I had a pitiful lack of understanding of screening forces - tantamount to leading with your chin.

Anyway, back to the game......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Keeping the hounds at bay......

Post by Attack Condor »

Today's combat report, with notations to follow:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/24/42

Weather: Clear

Sub attack at 11,42

Japanese Ships
AG 360, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)

Allied Ships
SS Tautog


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 53,68

Japanese Ships
SS I-3

Allied Ships
SC 637


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 11,42

Japanese Ships
AG 107, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)

Allied Ships
SS S-46


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 51,68

Japanese Ships
SS I-1, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)

Allied Ships
AK Neleus, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Perkins
DD Aylwin


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 10,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-169

Allied Ships
AP George F. Elliot, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42


Allied aircraft
Hudson x 23


no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
6 x Hudson at 20000 feet
3 x Hudson at 20000 feet
9 x Hudson at 20000 feet
2 x Hudson at 20000 feet
3 x Hudson at 20000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Woodlark Island , at 22,39


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 39


no losses

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 6

Attacking Level Bombers:
6 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, I've had worse turns. Both cargo ships that took torpedos are out of the war, but look like they will survive - Neleus is already in Noumea and will be sent to PH. George F. Elliot is one hex away from Townsville, burning brightly - but should not need to be scuttled. We'll see.

Both attacks on the barges resulted in more IJN supplies littering the ocean floor. An IJN AV was reported in GG, and a destroyer in PM. Perhaps the IJN commander intends to do something about the blockade.

The IJN subs are starting to push harder as well. I-3 launched torpedos against SC 637, but the little ship avoided them. The enitre pack then swarmed the contact, but none were able to get any shots off.

My escorts couldn't prevent the torpedo attack against the Neleus, but did extract the ultimate cost from I-1 as the destroyers Perkins and Alywin rolled depth charges and scored a total of 3 hits on the sub. Sonar operators on both ships then reported break-up noises from the contact as her depth increased.

The airborne ASW plan in Oz isn't paying off as I had hoped, and a third group is formed and on their way out west to protect the settlers and hunt the bad guys down.

This turn I launched my first real airstrike of this campaign. I so badly wanted to send both the Hudsons and B-17s after GG, but the airbase at Woodlark had aircraft parked there, so I gave it the once over. Not a bad performance from the bomber crews on both strikes. The attack on GG had one good result - increased experience for the Australian crews. Damage to the airbase was reported by the B-17 crews, although even the limited capabilities of the IJN engineers with their bamboo shovels and forced labor should be able to repair that (6 runway hits and 1 airbase hit). The Woodlark raid was also perfectly coordinated from Cairns and Townsville.

The trick is to keep Cairns supplied enough to support level bomber raids like that. One possibility is to ship supplies, but encounters with IJN subs make that proposition risky. The other option is to use C-47 Dakotas, which is safer, but will take more time. If I supply by air, I can keep the level bombers operating out of Townsville until I get the supplies necessary at Cairns to operate from there, striking then at targets on the north side of NZ.

Should the IJN get froggy and invade Austraila, B-25 Mitchells, B-26 Marauders and Beauforts will do more than search
for the enemy. I do not envy troops landing with that much airpower operating close to home, fully rested and supplied.

Which means an IJN invasion into Austraila would be prefaced with the usual BB TFs and carrier airstrikes against the bases. I am confident my engineers at those bases can repair the base even from 100% damage to an operational status in no more than 48 hours.

Will it be enough? I'm not certain, but I believe the IJN is going to have to try for an auto-victory. He has to know he cannot hold fully supplied bases that far south for very long against even only my LBA, so in spite of the sabre rattling, I expect him to not begin any attacks in consequence until possible late September or October - reducing the time necessary for him to hold the base and force the US to the peace table.

We'll see. Of that, I'm sure.

More to come......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Damage to the airbase was reported by the B-17 crews, although even the limited capabilities of the IJN engineers with their bamboo shovels and forced labor should be able to repair that (6 runway hits and 1 airbase hit).


I'll have you know we use only the finest bamboo grown by "contractors" in China and used efficiently by our Korean migrant workers.

Damage at Woodlark fixed. Darn I thought Woodlark was out of B-17 range.

Underseas combat is heating up. He's winning the tally of the subs so far. Most of my successful attacks have ended up with a damaged/sunk sub while he sails blissfully away :( .

I noticed the bombers came in at 20000 ft. A little scared of some flak and fighters ? :)

I had the fighters still stood down. Their morale was so low after the PM operation it still hasn't recovered to > 70. I guess I need more sake and Geishas.

Wherever and whenever I chose to go next will have to face a large contingent of Allied LBA. Appropriate measures will be attempted. I say attempted since the GG operation showed how useless it is to try and keep even a small base closed with Allied eng around. But bombardments and airfield attacks attrit and lower morale which is probably as important.

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

originally posted by Quark

I'll have you know we use only the finest bamboo grown by "contractors" in China and used efficiently by our Korean migrant workers.
Clarification needed here: "migrant" = moving from your homes and farms in Korea with the tip of a bayonet in your back :eek:

Sorry my bombers are flying so high. Don't you have any flak or fighters that can reach up that far?

And don't worry; the Woodlark raid was just to give you something to think about (or was it....???? ;) ).

And in the spirit of fairness, as well as good sprotsmanship, I feel obliged to warn you in advance. Move your AA units to GG. You'll need them as I show you how to close a base from the air :).

tick, tock, tick, tock............

More to come :)
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

A quiet day today in the Pacific.......:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/25/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack at 10,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-29


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Not really an attack, but my SC TF getting the jump on the IJN sub commander, whose sloppy approach almost cost him.

The IJN battle staff are still pressing attacks with their subs. I wonder how their skippers are taking the latest directive from the planners in Toyko?

On my ASW hunter groups, morale is high, as more and more depth charges find their marks. :)

(personal note: still no word from PH about my request to put the Hedgehog ASW weapons on the Benson class of destroyers. Oh well, 'tis nice to dream ;) )

Of course, this may be an attempt to draw my ASW in the open for air attacks (against which they don't defend so well), but my "line of death" doesn't extend very far north anymore - and I'm sure the IJN CV TFs have bigger targets in mind. After all, if their aviation is hunting destroyers and my carrier aircraft happens to find them first, well......... :D

Then again, perhaps a trip north with my carriers is in order.

Or not ;)

And, in the FWIW category, the new torpedo plane Avenger is now in theater, releasing the Devastator to shore based duties :)

Now, if I can convince the eggheads at Pearl (oooops!!! I meant tactical military geniuses :eek: ) to release North Carolina from her berth at PH....

Of course, having North Carolina, Washington, and South Dakota arrive all at once wouldn't be bad either ;)

More to come......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Then again, perhaps a trip north with my carriers is in order


Pretty Please. I didn't lose THAT many Kates :D .

Quiet turn as my preparations continue. Won't be quiet much longer. :)
Of course, having North Carolina, Washington, and South Dakota arrive all at once wouldn't be bad either


Bring them on. More targets. :D :D I would really love to see Yamato and Musashi in a night combat against those 3. Tanaka vs Lee. (drool drool)

Quark out
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

A chance to enter into the AAR prior to events happening today, and a bit of an update.

First, I'm approaching the 5000 point deficit in the score, with the IJN having 22 bases, and the USN only 10. Goro finally became operational, and Tomo is on the verge of opening. I haven't ventured to Basse-Poya or Koumac yet...trying to leapfrog as I go.

From what I've read in other AAR's and threads, I'm starting the new Caledonia base expansion project a bit late, but I wanted to concentrate my engineers in SWPAC on Luganville. The 57th Engineer Bn is currently at work at Tomo, and the 811th EAB is on their way to join them. Finally, the New Zealand engineers (forgot the unit ID - sorry :( with bulldozers will round out my construction team. My goal is to flood the sites on New Caledonia step by step. With that many engineers on the project, a level one base should be no more than 3-4 days away, followed by increasing the levels of the base, fort level, BF, aircraft and INF unit placement - followed by the next base. Pretty standard USN development plan - no reason to change there.

Over at Goro, the 810th EAB is hard at work, and we'll have a level 2 base there within a few days.

Air cover for New Caledonia consists of PBYs and level bombers flying Naval Search missions, TBD Devestators for ASW detection, fighters for CAP and 3 fully rested C-47 Dakota squadrons.

Oh, and SBDs of course for anti-ship operations.

The paratroopers assigned to the 1st Marine Div will be in theater within the week.

Meanwhile, in SOPAC, the clear weather means that GG is going to get hit. Every B-17 Fortress and Hudson in Oz has been rolled out of the barn and is on their way today from Townsville and Cairns. I'm hoping for a 50 - 60 plane strike against the port facilities there.

More to come................
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Hmmm. Let's see. A Yank weatherman was overheard saying the forcast for GG was going to be cloudy with planes with a good chance of steel rain. Well the troops did see what looked to be birds flying waaay up high. We saw one splash in the harbor but thought it was some dolphins playing. We also overheard Allied radio saying 2 B-17s didn't return home last turn :D .

I spy the last 3 USN CVs hiding out SE of Noumea. I guess Condor doesn't want them caught in harbor anymore :D :D .

Heavily reconing major bases near me to see if Condor is up to anything. Not like him to sit back. Been too quiet. I see lots of ASW TF in every major port. Luganville is either getting a troop rotation or lots of supplies. Have to see about that.

Reading Luskan's AAR I saw I was doing similar things with my LBA as he did. Readers may have noticed I haven't been using the Nells and Betty's for base bombing. I am training them up for use when the USN shows its face again. I was very disappointed in the results when I tried bombing earlier.

I now have so many LBA in theatre filling out my pilot replacements are in the low 40's high 30's.

My window of opportunity is closing. I will share more operational details as the events unfold. I would share more but the enemy is reading. :)

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Perhaps they were tired.....

Post by Attack Condor »

Well now. The CR is unavailable, so the details of my porpise imitation at GG.

Yes I bragged that the skies would be filled with steel rain.

Yes I did have a total of 61 Hudsons and Fortresses over the target.

Yes, one bomb actually made it into the vicinity of the harbor.

One.

<sigh>

Perhaps the pilots are closet IJN sympathizers. Right now, I'd trade the lot for a warm beer and a handfull of stale pretzels.

Now, of course, I have to try and survive a rebuilt and rested IJN strike somewhere.

FYI, oh esteemed opponent, is the air observer who is telling you there are three CVs SE of Noumea the same one who told Nagumo there was another CV in Noumea, prompting the famous admiral to launch another strike only to find destroyers in the harbor? :)

More to come.....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

The calm before the storm.....

Post by Attack Condor »

If you believe the IJN Ministry of Propaganda, their "Great Push" is about to start. Actually, I'm suprised it hasn't yet. Good weather, and lots of transport activity in Lunga and PM.

But no attack.

So the wait continues.

Last turn, 3 IJN ships were spotted almost dead center between GG and Townsville. They were identified as cruisers.

Today, they're still there, but no move south from them. Further recon shows there to be two, TFs in the same hex. A 2xDD SC TF and a 3xCV AC TF.

I wonder if they're bait. It's all I can do to not send an attack force out after them, though :D

Meanwhile, in today's combat report, it's all about the subs:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/28/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack at 54,66

Japanese Ships
SS I-166


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
AP Tosei Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)
AP Teiyo Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-46


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My #2 ASW group in Noumea chases another IJN sub below the waves. After he pulled the plug, the ASW forces couldn't get a fix on him to attack.

S-46, however, scores big in PM harbor, removing another Maru from the IJN inventory. I hope it was loaded with combat engineers, but it was probably empty. Still, it's one less taxi cab available to the IJN.

More (I'm sure) to come.......
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

And now...more preludes

Post by Attack Condor »

Still no major attack by my opponent, although a number of major shipping assets are steaming SSW with their sights set on either Townsville or Cairns. No transports detected, but one BB (probably a few more than one ;) ), a few carriers, cruisers, and assorted escort vessels.

Rain gets him closer while my staff watches and wonders what he is waiting for. He could have easily done a night bombardment last turn, although he has an idea from his recon what awaits him, but doesn't know for sure.

Of course, this could be an elaborate ruse; but for what?

Combat today stays below the surface, but the IJN gets their licks in this turn, with two torpedos obliterating a small sub chaser who zigged when she should have zagged. Apparently the shock of the explosions covered the sub's escape:


AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/29/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 10,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-29

Allied Ships
SC 522, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I need better ASW assets in the Oz.

More to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

Post by Philwd »

Rain gets him closer while my staff watches and wonders what he is waiting for. He could have easily done a night bombardment last turn, although he has an idea from his recon what awaits him, but doesn't know for sure.


Actually I wasn't waiting any longer. Do you know how long it takes for IJN transports to move down to well ... south :) ? Water boils faster.

Last turn every TF had arrived and I ordered them all into Cairns. Well for some unknown reason 5 TF break off and decide to go HOME!!! The Kirishima's battle group even made it back to Rabaul from just E of Cairns in 1 turn!! How did that happen? Did Scotty beam them up? Plus to make matters worse every TF that finished loading up in 3 different ports instead completely unloaded and headed to thier destinations empty. Unloaded in 1 turn when it took 3 to load up.

So I was left with a scattered invasion force. I spent this turn gathering up the lost sheep and sent in what I had gathered. So the attack will go in uncoordinated. But I can't wait any longer.

That was a wasted turn. I hope stuff like this gets cleaned up for WiTP. I mean after all commanders in real life would never run away from the transports. Oh wait..um.. I guess Fletcher did do that but it was an exception. Oh wait again .. well.. uh...I guess you could say Halsey did the same thing. Hmmm. Maybe the game is imitating history after all :D .

This is the last post I will make to this thread. Going forward Condor and I have decided to copy Wobbly's and Herbieh's format and run 2 separate threads. This way we can share our thoughts and maybe our maps freely. Imitation is the most sincere flattery guys. Thanks for starting something new.

Quark
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

It begins....

Post by Attack Condor »

Cairns.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. Trying to coordinate that large of a force seemed to have its own drawbacks - one can envision misunderstood orders, etc. on the part of IJN captains.

Of course, I'll look thoughtful and nod as I agree that such events are indeed frustrating to the IJN commander.

Sure I will. ;)

And awaaaaaayyyy we gooo:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/30/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Night Time Surface Combat, near Townsville at 10,62

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
CA Maya
CA Suzuya
CA Kako
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Hatsushimo
DD Usugumo

Allied Ships
PG Swan, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
PG Warrego, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
PG Moa, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
AO Kanawha, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Townsville at 10,62

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
CA Maya
CA Suzuya
CA Kako
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Hatsushimo
DD Usugumo

Allied Ships
PG Kiwi, Shell hits 13, and is sunk
PG Tui
SC 517
SC 518, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
SC 519, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
SC 520
SC 521, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Townsville at 10,62

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu, Shell hits 2
CA Maya, Shell hits 2
CA Suzuya
CA Kako
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Hatsushimo
DD Usugumo

Allied Ships
DMS Trevor, Shell hits 36, and is sunk
AP Fuller, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
AP Heywood
AP William Ward Burrows, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Pierce
AP Calvert
AP William P. Biddle
AP Arthur Middleton
AP Ormsby, Shell hits 28, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AP La Salle
AP Esperance Bay, Shell hits 1
AP Moreton Bay


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Townsville, at 10,62


Allied aircraft


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 1 destroyed
Hudson x 1 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 22


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Townsville at 10,62


Allied aircraft
Hudson x 20
Beaufort x 15
Wirraway x 13
P-40E Kittyhawk x 13
B-26B Marauder x 15
B-17E Fortress x 36


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 1 destroyed
Hudson x 1 damaged
Beaufort x 5 damaged
Wirraway x 1 damaged
B-26B Marauder x 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress x 1 destroyed
B-17E Fortress x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Kumano, Torpedo hits 1
DD Satsuki, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
BB Yamato, Bomb hits 1
DD Amatsukaze
CA Atago
CL Isuzu, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 200 feet
2 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
2 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
2 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 200 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 200 feet
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
2 x Hudson at 6000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
0 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x Beaufort at 200 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Townsville at 10,62


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 15


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Yamato
DD Kazegumo
CA Atago
DD Harusame

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
G3M Nell x 10

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 47

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
G3M Nell x 1 destroyed
G3M Nell x 9 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 4 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged

LCDR T. Nakajima of F2/Tainan Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Allied Ships
DD Mahan
AP Westralia
DD Mustin

Attacking Level Bombers:
1 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell at 200 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Townsville at 10,62


Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 5
Hudson x 18
Beaufort x 9
Wirraway x 11
P-39D Airacobra x 9
P-40E Kittyhawk x 13
B-26B Marauder x 11
B-17E Fortress x 22


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Isuzu, on fire
CA Kumano, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Yamato
CL Sendai, on fire
CA Atago
DD Kazegumo
DD Murakumo, Shell hits 12, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 200 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
3 x Beaufort at 200 feet
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
2 x Beaufort at 200 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 13,54


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 4


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 10,52


Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 7
B-17E Fortress x 3


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Tokitsukaze

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 20
G3M Nell x 6

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 29

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell x 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
AP Westralia
DD Gridley

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell at 200 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Townsville, at 10,62


Allied aircraft


Allied aircraft losses
no losses

LT R.Kelly of VMF-121 bails out and is RESCUED

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 28
Port hits 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I understand what Quark was doing now...waiting for my transports to get back to T'ville so he could bombard and get easy kills in one fell swoop.

The LBA performed about as good as I expected, with the B17s doing little more than acting as flak bait. The P-39s actually pulled off the suprise of the action, with a 37mm shell hit penetrating the belt armor of the destroyer Murakumo and apparently hitting something inside very explosive :D.

Yamamoto just sat there and lobbed shells. I swear one of the Wirraway 250-lb bombs actually bounced off her deck and into the sea.

Since we're now on separate threads, I can report Townsville only has 5 runway damage points after the bombardment. It is a level 8 airfield, with 99% construction complete for a level 9 airfield.

The strategy seems quite simple - isolate Cairns with attacks at Townsville, keeping the landing craft at Cairns safe from harm.

No carrier air attacks yet.

Also, can finally reveal my carrier force disposition: Saratoga is NNW of Brisbane.

That's all.

Yep - one carrier in theater.

Time for the suicide charge into the maelstorm - not.

Saratoga will transfer 2 SBD squadrons, 1 TBF Avenger squadron, and 1 F4F squadron to Charter Towers, show herself in the area, and then get back east to play the decoy with empty decks.

Wasp and Lexington are in Pearl, awaiting a release date. Enterprise and Hornet are still 3 months and 6 months away, respectively.

I'm going to lower the 2 engine bombers to 100 ft and pull the B17s back to Brisbane.

5 subs closing onto the invaders from the north.

More to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Thinking whilst waiting for the next turn (always a risky proposition, thinking is):

4 tankers were seen in Lunga, and I doubt they're support for the Oz offensive. Trouble is probably due for Luganville, if nothing more than to try and draw my attention away from Oz for a bit. I have the naval assets in place to help defend at Luganville (SBDs, TBDs, F4Fs, and PBYs) but the concern is a repeat of the night bombardment tactic possibly closing the airfield. With Yamamoto in Townsville, however, I doubt he could prevent airstrikes from Luganville in one turn. Perhaps I'll relocate the aircraft and BF to Efate. It would keep them in range to cover Luganville, but out of harm's way in terms of a naval bombardment. Efate is currently at level 4 for the runways.

Anyway, the plane movements in Oz are completed. Charter Towers is getting a small BF airlifted in from Brissy via 2 C47 and 1 PBY squadrons. It won't be enough to fully service the carrier's air wing, but I'll probably move the fighters up to Cairns.

Oz defenses are substantial, with all coastal bases at level 9 fortification. Cairns, the apparent target has the entire 3rd Australian Division in place, fully rested and supplied.

Townsville has the entire Northern Division in place.

Rocky, the 2/3 of the 7th Australian Division, minus some HQ personnel (who are due in Brissy in about 10 days) is the weak spot.

Brisbane has two brigades of the 32nd division, and two brigades of the 41st division are one hex away from Rockhampton, road marching to the base. They will help defend Rockhampton and be my reserve force, able to use the coastal highway to get to T'ville or Brissy quickly should events warrant commiting them.

Quark has landed a blocking force at Ayton already.

They are my first target. The plan is this:
1. Airlift 1st Marine Paratrooper to Brisbane using 3 C47 squadrons. While this is happening, the 2 C47 squadrons will have transfered a small BF to Charter Towers. This should keep Saratoga's carrier aircraft up and running for a couple of turns.
2. Transfer the SOPAC C47s to Brisbane.
3. The paratroopers and the C47s will be airlifted/transferred to Charter Towers while I move the carrier aircraft to Rockhampton.
4. The paratroopers will then drop onto the blocking force at Ayton. Fighters will cover the operation.

While this is going on, I have two cruiser forces deployed. I hope to get into one of his supply bases and find tankers. I have to cut off his fuel supply. DMS ships are racing to catch the Eastern cruiser force. They will sortie into Lunga, which is no doubt, heavily mined.

The first strike, however, will be from the west, possibly into Woodlark. I have no minesweepers with them, but I have to take a chance somewhere

I have two 4 ship TFs made up of Gridley class destroyers whose job is to try and make life miserable for the transports and any ASW destroyers escorting them. They are poised near Rockhampton, waiting for the BB TF to withdraw. They will then drive into Cairns, hopefully while his carriers are moving off for fuel.

Also, I spoke with Quark, and we agreed that I'll keep posting the CRs in this thread.

More to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”